Jesusita Fire Trail Restoration Project- Tunnel Trail, Santa Barbara- Mtbr.com

May 2009

Jesusita Fire Trail Restoration Project- Tunnel Trail, Santa Barbara

The bottom line is this- the faster the trails can be made safe for use, the faster they will re-open to the public. We need your help with our restoration of Tunnel Trail this Saturday, 5/23 and next Tuesday, 5/26. We will be removing metal debris, shale slides, dead branches and rolling off rocks. Come help us get the trails open! We will provide: helmets, tools, training, snacks, gloves(if needed), dust masks(if needed). You will need to bring: long pants, long sleeve shirt, sturdy boots, LOTS OF WATER!, gloves, sunglasses, bike helmet(if you have one). Visit our volunteer page for the details of these events.

Sincerely,

The Multiuse Trails Coalition
    [email protected]

trail rat
    I'm still a little confused about the Multiuse Trails Coalition. No mention of this organization here:

Trail Volunteers Needed: Over the next year, local trail organizations will be working with Los Padres Forest to help rehabilitate trails damaged during the Jesusita Fire. The Santa Barbara Trails Council (sbtrails.org) will be coordinating efforts to support the rehabilitation projects. SBTC encourages you to join with them to help rebuild the trails. Adding your name to the volunteer list for the burn area rehabilitaiton projects is easy: simply email the Outdoor Guy here at the Indy ([email protected]) and let him know you want to help our trails.
    http://www.independent.com/news/2009...rails-re-open/

Why another organization separate from the Santa Barbara Trails Council?
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

May 2009

Re: Jesusita Fire Trail Restoration...

Slocaus,

There are a couple of things about that article that need to be clarified. One, the forest although open again, did not mean the trails were open within the forest-some of the trail heads fall within City or County Jurisdictions so the USFS re-opening did not apply to them. Two, the article did not mention us as part of the TC because we are not part of the TC. I will not go into the reasons why we are not part of the TC but I will say that the representation for mountain bikers in the TC is very "light" at this point.

The agencies sent out a letter to all groups including ourselves, TC, SBMTV, and others to tell us that the trails will not open again until they have been made safe for all to use. To make them safe the volunteer organizations would need to step up and help clear debris off the trail. So far only ourselves have stepped up to organize volunteer clean up efforts on the trails, hopefully other groups will step up also. SLocaus, if you would like to see a copy of the letter the agencies sent out email us privately and we will gladly forward it to you.

Dave Everett on Behalf of the MTC

http://www.multiuse.org/

[email protected]

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The bit about the trail heads being in SB city or county and therefore not open is very irritating.

The news media should have made this a lot clearer yesterday when they posted stories saying "the trails are open". All anyone got from that was. . . .THE TRAILS ARE OPEN.

There was no mention of the fact that they aren't actually open.

Ok, so the Indy's original article now has an amendment at the top to say residents were furious and the trails are going to be closed again by the USFS. Doesn't say a thing about city vs county vs USFS lands.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by multiuse trails coalition
    Slocaus,

There are a couple of things about that article that need to be clarified. One, the forest although open again, did not mean the trails were open within the forest-some of the trail heads fall within City or County Jurisdictions so the USFS re-opening did not apply to them. Two, the article did not mention us as part of the TC because we are not part of the TC. I will not go into the reasons why we are not part of the TC but I will say that the representation for mountain bikers in the TC is very "light" at this point.

The agencies sent out a letter to all groups including ourselves, TC, SBMTV, and others to tell us that the trails will not open again until they have been made safe for all to use. To make them safe the volunteer organizations would need to step up and help clear debris off the trail. So far only ourselves have stepped up to organize volunteer clean up efforts on the trails, hopefully other groups will step up also. SLocaus, if you would like to see a copy of the letter the agencies sent out email us privately and we will gladly forward it to you.

Dave Everett on Behalf of the MTC

http://www.multiuse.org/

[email protected]
    I am just trying to understand the trail maintenance dynamics. I lived in Santa Barbara in the late 1970s through the 1980s. We had conflicts and meeting with the Forest Service, hiking and equestrian groups and resolved the issues then. Obviously, the conflicts continue.

I am in SLO and our trail work here and cooperation in wonderful. We work with the Forest Service, State Parks, County Parks, and City Parks. We have an excellent working relationship with the hiking and equestrian groups. We all work for trail access.
    I am just trying to understand how the trail maintenance and group politics work. Sorry to sound like I was being accusatory.

May 2009
    USFS re-closes trails within the Jesusita FIre Burn Area! Press Release. Sloclaus contact us privately if you would like to discuss the interactions between local user groups. [email protected]

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by multiuse trails coalition
    Sloclaus contact us privately if you would like to discuss the interactions between local user groups. [email protected]
    No need. I am on the SBMTV mailing list and saw the email forwarded by Chris Orr. I think some members of CCCMB may be down. I usually have Sat off and would have come down, but have to work today. I expect to get down there to help when I can.

Members who have read this thread: 0