Hola Socal MTB Amigos- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Hola Socal MTB Amigos

Its been over 10 years since I last rode my cherished Stinky 4:20 (04 Kona Stinky) down MT. Wilson and I'm happy to be back in the saddle again. New to this site but was on mybikesite years ago.

Recently purchased a used Tuner 5 Spot to get me back in the sport and I'm surprised at the prices of new bikes these days. Anyways hello and hopefully I can run into some old riding buddies from back in the day.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Welcome back and don't be suckered into the industry changes such as wheel size. Your old 5 spot can get the job done just as good as these new rides. And with the same shit eating grin that comes with any mountain bike adventure.

Wheel size being the biggest industry push since you left.

In fact it's gotten to be so controversial they even opened up a forum for the older 26" wheeled riders to congregate.

26 - Mtbr.com

Vs

27.5 - Mtbr.com

Vs

29er Bikes - Mtbr.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Good to know DJ I rode MT. Wilson this past weekend and I got my butt kicked. I wasn't used to that type of ride since I'm a newbie again. I had 3 pinch flats on my ride and my 10 year old patches I had in my camelbak didn't hold either. None the less it was a blast to be riding up there again. I work right next to Jenson in Riverside so I've been riding the local trails here during the week to get back in somewhat kind of shape again.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by OlbaiD View Post
    Good to know DJ I rode MT. Wilson this past weekend and I got my butt kicked. I wasn't used to that type of ride since I'm a newbie again. I had 3 pinch flats on my ride and my 10 year old patches I had in my camelbak didn't hold either. None the less it was a blast to be riding up there again. I work right next to Jenson in Riverside so I've been riding the local trails here during the week to get back in somewhat kind of shape again.
    Which brings to mind another big push in the industry. Going tubeless, when tubes work just fine. Just replace your old tubes and carry a spare with you. Don't bother with patches it's not worth the hassle. If you ride a decent psi pinch flats are a non issue. I'm 210 lbs and run a beefy tire 2.35 at 42 lbs psi and hardly ever flat.

One advantage of tubeless though is you can run lower pressures. And there are ways to go tubeless with the rims you have if you desire.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The 5 Spot is still an excellent bike. I've had 2 over the years (2004 and 2012). Still have the 2012 and while I ride my Flux about 75% of the time these days every time I ride the Spot I think "damn what an excellent bike!"