Going to LA for the first time- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    700

    Going to LA for the first time

    So Iím going to LA for work training at the end of March. Iíve extended my stay a few days so that Iíll have two days for exploring... I know nothing about LA. Iíve never seen the Pacific Ocean.

    What should I do with my two days?! Any good bike rentals around? What trail systems should I hit?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,503
    What area? May want to post this in the SoCal forum.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    What area? May want to post this in the SoCal forum.
    Iíll be staying in Hollywood for my training, but will get another hotel room Friday and Saturday night for after the work portion of the trip. That could be anywhere, but I fly out of Burbank early Sunday morning.

    Ah good point. Maybe a mod can move this? I donít wanna double post.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,503
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Iíll be staying in Hollywood for my training, but will get another hotel room Friday and Saturday night for after the work portion of the trip. That could be anywhere, but I fly out of Burbank early Sunday morning.

    Ah good point. Maybe a mod can move this? I donít wanna double post.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Klujer should be here shortly

    I'm east so I'm no too familiar with that area. You can also browse it, there are several threads of people asking where to ride around Pasadena/Glendale/Burbank and the beach areas. Just expect climbing
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

  5. #5
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,400
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Klujer should be here shortly

    I'm east so I'm no too familiar with that area. You can also browse it, there are several threads of people asking where to ride around Pasadena/Glendale/Burbank and the beach areas. Just expect climbing
    https://forums.mtbr.com/california-s...op-938703.html

    ;-)
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    700
    Well now that just seems perfect! Thank you, haha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,252
    Pretty easy to get to Burbank Airport from Pasadena.
    buzzes like a fridge

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    363
    What type of riding are you looking for??
    TTUB - Ventura County California

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    What type of riding are you looking for??
    Iíd like to do some fun trail riding. Something in the mountains would be rad


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JimF777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    247
    Bear in mind I'm a newbie, but I had a short visit down that way (drove down I5) and stopped to ride this trail (https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...wn-los-pinetos).

    I really enjoyed the long single track descent along the mountain side.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Yes go to universal Cycles in Studio City they have a TON of demos and for a good price. I would ride JPL (you can ask them about that)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMX104 View Post
    Yes go to universal Cycles in Studio City they have a TON of demos and for a good price. I would ride JPL (you can ask them about that)
    Awesome! Thanks for the pointers. I was having trouble finding a shop with good demos


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    Do a single shuttle with SCOA/Mt Wilson shuttles with a drop off at Eaton Saddle. You'll get 12-14 miles of nice, legit enduro style downhill. If this run doesn't put a small on your face, nothing will. That being said, it's on the "rougher" side of SOLID intermediate for the most part with spots of legitimate, high consequence black stuff.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Do a single shuttle with SCOA/Mt Wilson shuttles with a drop off at Eaton Saddle. You'll get 12-14 miles of nice, legit enduro style downhill. If this run doesn't put a small on your face, nothing will. That being said, it's on the "rougher" side of SOLID intermediate for the most part with spots of legitimate, high consequence black stuff.
    Well that sounds like a good time!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynomx785's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    333
    I am going to be in LA 19th through the 24th. Never ridden there either. I am planning on Shuttling Mt. Wilson the 21st or the 22nd. I also had plans of riding Rocky Peak Park (Grudge and Hummingbird). If you want to try and hook up for some riding shoot me a PM. We might get lost but at least we wouldn't be lonely! LOL

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    I am going to be in LA 19th through the 24th. Never ridden there either. I am planning on Shuttling Mt. Wilson the 21st or the 22nd. I also had plans of riding Rocky Peak Park (Grudge and Hummingbird). If you want to try and hook up for some riding shoot me a PM. We might get lost but at least we wouldn't be lonely! LOL
    The Frontside stuff of Mt Wilson off the Eaton Saddle drop are all easily followed via Trailforks AND there is decent signage. Take Mt Lowe East to Middle Merrill, hook a right and climb up the old Mt Lowe Railway to Sunset Ridge and then finish off on El Prieto. The shuttles hold 14 people so it's always easy to hook up and/or follow somebody down.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rynomx785's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    The Frontside stuff of Mt Wilson off the Eaton Saddle drop are all easily followed via Trailforks AND there is decent signage. Take Mt Lowe East to Middle Merrill, hook a right and climb up the old Mt Lowe Railway to Sunset Ridge and then finish off on El Prieto. The shuttles hold 14 people so it's always easy to hook up and/or follow somebody down.
    Cool thanks. I was kind of hoping to jump in with a group that knows the mountain.

Similar Threads

  1. First time going clipless
    By bapski in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. first time going to a "bike park"
    By Jeffijers in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 08:33 PM
  3. First time going to N* this weekend. Need advice
    By Telewacker in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 05:44 AM
  4. First time DH riding - Going to Mammoth
    By PetesDustyVolvo in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 08:54 PM
  5. First post, first build, first SS, first ride
    By skogorbet in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 10:07 AM

Members who have read this thread: 86

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.