Current conditions for the Cannell Trail...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Current conditions for the Cannell Trail...

Thinking about heading up and shuttling the Cannell Trail this weekend. Has anyone ridden it recently? How are the conditions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The road to Sherman Pass is probably still closed due to snow. The last 2 years there was hike a bike thru snow drifts around the 4th of July. Not much snow this year, so maybe by Memeorial Weekend.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I heard it dumped up there the few storms and that June 4 might be the opening. You can call Mountain River Adventures in Kernville for conditions.

There's always lower trails like Just Outstanding.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 04-30-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

mtbr member
    Thanks - called them and they said that it was going to be closed for at least a couple of more weeks.

How is Just Outstanding? My buddy and I are looking for a 20 to 30 mile long technical singletrack. Any other suggestions? We are in coming from South Orange County and do not mind driving 5 or so hours for the right trail.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    I heard it dumped up there the few storms and that July 4 might be the opening. You can call Mountain River Adventures in Kernville for conditions.

There's always lower trails like Just Outstanding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Then you want to go down JO. Then take the side trails down to Keyesville. I can't explain the route. Not famaliar enough. Just don't do it if it 100 degrees at the lake.....

member: kv dirt daddies
    JO to Wagy to Dutch Flat is the route he is talking about. It is a good one and in the 20 mile range with some climbing and over 5000' of dh. The bottom is quite techy. I can give you some directions if you like.

There are also a few longer, more xc rides that will be good this weekend. Let me know if you want more info.

mtbr member
    Yeah, direction and info on other routes would be really appreciated. I think that we are going to stay the night, so any additional info other trails would be appreciated as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsh View Post
    JO to Wagy to Dutch Flat is the route he is talking about. It is a good one and in the 20 mile range with some climbing and over 5000' of dh. The bottom is quite techy. I can give you some directions if you like.

There are also a few longer, more xc rides that will be good this weekend. Let me know if you want more info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    jfsh, How does the snow look up on Sherman Pass? Does it look like Cannel will be ridable (with a few hike a bike thru drifts) before Memeorial Weekend?

I have not been up to Sherman Pass lately but I can still see snow on the North facing slopes at around 8000'. Most everything below that is clear. There have been a few recent storms so I'm sure the high country got a few feet of new snow.

I would guess that Memorial day would be doable this year. I think with the light snowpack the road will be melted out by then. I have also noticed that this Winter was easy on the forest and there is less deadfall in our area. Hopefully the same is true for Sherman Pass road and the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That is what I was thinking..... I check the conditions by looking at these webcams Sierra Wildland Fire Reporting System ( SWFRS ), California

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My friends and I did Just Outstanding to Keyesville yesterday and it was great weather. It was a little soggy up top near the ski resort (very little snow, not on trail) and was an absolute blast. We did JO to Wagy to Dutch Flat down into keyesville where we were camping. Great trip!

j14
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Do you happen to have a map of this trail? I am in Bakersfield and I have done the Just Outstanding trail but only through Mtn River Adventures where it is guided. From the videos I have seen online, there is another section that has huge boulders...etc, but it wasn't part of the run that was guided... I am fairly new to the fun and am looking to go back to Kernville in the next few weeks to get a few rides in...

You can get a really good map of the trails in the area at some of the stores in Kernville. You can also order it here:
    The Kern River Sierra Outdoor Recreation Topo Map

190lbs of climber
    Any updates? I'm think about going on Sunday. The webcam view from the peak looking south over the trail looks clear. I'm fine with hiking over a few snow drifts, but is the road to the top open? The trail is mostly south facing, but the road is on the northwest slope.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

The road is not open yet. It will still be until the end of May before it is melted out enough to make it a worthwhile ride. I was up doing some trailwork on Sunday. This was what the snow looked like at 7400'.

Above the road here there were some big snow patches. The snow is still pretty solid above 8000' on any shady or North faceing slopes. This road we were on was still closed to cars but of course we were able to ride around the gate.

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsh View Post
    The road is not open yet.
    Thanks for the intel. I will probably hit up Pinos instead.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Just Outstanding is open and clear. Unal is clear of snow as well. The trails are already starting to dry up. Alta Sierra had very little snow this year. As for Sherman Pass/Cannell, John at Mountain River Adventures is shuttling us (SSFTA) up on May 26th.

I agree with masivatak, JO is good to go and IMO a much better ride than Pinos.

May 26th? I bet the road will be open but I don't think the FS crew will have the deadfall cleared yet. I would also bet you will slog through some snow on the first big climb. It will still be fun though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So wht's up J-fish??? I'm booked on the
    shuttle for sat. So is it open?

I have not heard if the road is open or not. From what I still see around and from the reports I am hearing you are going to hit snow for sure. Things are not melting out as fast as expected. I suspect the FS will let the MRA van go up to Sherman Pass even if the road is closed. You are going to be in for an adventure with less than ideal conditions. My advice would be wear some shoes that are comfortable to walk in and can get wet, dress warm, and stay out of the meadows as they will be mud bogs. I hear the high at 9000' is only going to be 42 on Saturday. Good luck and have fun. If this doesn't sound appealing to you a group of us are going to be carrying chainsaws and clearing trees on another local trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Here is what i found for weather up there for the weekend. The good news is you won't be sinking to far down when walking thru the snowdrifts....

Friday: A slight chance of rain showers after 11am. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly sunny, with a high near 42. Windy, with a west northwest wind between 25 and 34 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy and windy, with a low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Saturday: A slight chance of rain and snow showers. Snow level 8800 feet. Partly sunny, with a high near 45. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 32.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thnx for the quick replies. Sorry j-fish I'm all
    about building; but never deal with much dead
    fall in the San jacintos. Luv to help but booked
    for the shuttle sat. Stay'n f and sat.. Maybe I
    Buy a round for efforts....thnx Dallas shower's
    and storms...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdr View Post
    Here is what i found for weather up there for the weekend. The good news is you won't be sinking to far down when walking thru the snowdrifts....

Friday: A slight chance of rain showers after 11am. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly sunny, with a high near 42. Windy, with a west northwest wind between 25 and 34 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy and windy, with a low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Saturday: A slight chance of rain and snow showers. Snow level 8800 feet. Partly sunny, with a high near 45. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 32.
    Any updates for Cannell Trail are appreciated. Hope to be up there next week. Thx.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Was up in the Kernville area today and rode Remington Ridge and Just Outstanding. Had a great time. Cold at 7k'...34 when we started JO. Planning on doing Cannell sometime in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I wonder if they got any trace of new snow up there. Heard there was a tiny system moving through the area yesterday and today. Anyone have any info? Thanks...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Rode Cannell Plunge today - the trail is in great shape

It was a cold day though. My not-very-accurate bike computer registered as low as 25 F during the ride. The trail is in overall excellent shape. There are a few downed trees but not enough to even get annoyed with. Almost no snow on the ground. I say hit it early in the season this year because with the dry winter they had, my guess is the trail will be uber-dusty later this summer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah I rode that freeze fest on sat. No snow
    U welcomed the heat from the valley on the
    plunge. That place is underrated for riding
    Lots of peaks and sum ripper trails!

Glad you guys had a great time. You didn't hit any snow? That is crazy. I was at 9000' on Saturday just 15 miles northwest of you and I hiked through 2 inches of fresh snow and many large drifts.

Nostranger, you are correct that the place is underrated. Most people don't know 1/4 of what is up here. If people knew this place would be more crowded than Downieville.

No known cure
    Sooo...9th-10th? 16th-17th? Girlfriend will shuttle...
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

See you at the top.

bump

+1 looking for current.
    I can't wait till they put condos here. Said no one ever.

Sled of Lead.
    I'll be up there on Sunday. I'll post up conditions after the ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    We have 8 people going up this Sat, June 2nd...will post on how it is...

mtbr member
    Anyone riding wed June 6? I'm interested in making a day trip.

No known cure
    So...For those who rode Cannell this past weekend, how was it? I'm penciled in for the shuttle on the 16th and have reserved a campsite halfway up the Kern. Should be a nice Father's Day weekend.

Sled of Lead.
    I rode it on Sunday, June 3.
    The trail is good to go.
    Loose as hell on the plunge section.
    Only about 2 or 3 deadfall trees on the trail.
    Totally clear of snow. A few patches on the side of the trail up top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current conditions for the Cannell Trail...-img_7758.jpg  

Current conditions for the Cannell Trail...-img_7785.jpg  

Current conditions for the Cannell Trail...-img_7803.jpg  

Current conditions for the Cannell Trail...-img_7812.jpg  

Current conditions for the Cannell Trail...-img_7834.jpg  

mtbr member
    Can one survive this on a 29" hardtail?

mtbr member
    Having never been up there or seen a video I have no frame of reference. Would a 2.35 Nobby Nic do?

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Can one survive this on a 29" hardtail?
    Of course you can...there is a lot of climbing during this ride. Suggest the fattest front tire you can find for the loose parts.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just got home today from riding it Tuesday June 5. As others have mentioned, really loose on the Plunge, lots of sand. Some small mud areas, and creeks have a little more water than when I did it last September. They had a little Snow up high Monday night, and Tuesday morning when we took off from Sherman it was 22 degrees. Hands were freaking cold but we warmed up quick on the first big climb to the Saddle.

I lost my front brake like 7 miles in, lever went all the way to the handlebar. Rode the whole day with rear brake only which was not easy for me. Had a tough time getting stopped in places. Took a pretty good fall on the Plunge and tore up the knee and leg, but I'll live. I too would recommend as much tire as you can run, low air pressure, and good brakes on top of dropping the seat. Knee and elbow protection would be recommended too for riders really pushing it. The penalty for mistakes up there can be really bad.

It was my second time on Cannell Trail, and we did it a lot better than last time. Highly recommend it. According to GPS Data we climbed 2,185 feet and descended 8,450, covering 25.99 miles back to our room in Kernville.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current conditions for the Cannell Trail...-2012-06-05_08-43-24_598.jpg  

mtbr member
    Anybody have an online source for a map.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Restricted View Post
    The Cannell Plunge - Kernville CA

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Restricted View Post
    You looking for gps track to follow? There are maps out there, but I would recommend either being good with a map and compass, or better yet using a gps with a route pre-loaded to follow. I have a track that I just created Tuesday if you have a gps that will import gpx files...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    You looking for gps track to follow? There are maps out there, but I would recommend either being good with a map and compass, or better yet using a gps with a route pre-loaded to follow. I have a track that I just created Tuesday if you have a gps that will import gpx files...
    I don't have a gps. I'm good with maps. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Could you email me the Plunge gps files?
    I'll pm you my email.

Sled of Lead.
    You can download from geoladders for free. You have to create an account first.

Geoladders -- Cannell Trail

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks. I'll look at that when I get back from vacation in Keystone, CO.

Whistling in the Dark
    Dec 2006
    I'm planning to ride this on 7 July, looks to be about 9 in the group so far. We are looking at doing a self shuttle.

Sled of Lead.
    I would recommend using Mountain and River Adventures instead of self-shuttling unless you are trying make the trip as cheap as humanly possible or have a dedicated driver arranged. The drive up to Sherman Pass from Kernville is 75-90 minutes.
    Imagine you get done with that long ride and you're tired. Now you have to drive up the hill to drop off drivers to pick up the shuttle vehicles you left up there. Then you gotta drive all the way back down to Kernville. When it's all said and done, you have spent over 3 hours of driving to shuttle a trail. If the added time is worth the $$$ savings to you, then go for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofall View Post
    Could you email me the Plunge gps files?
    I'll pm you my email.
    Email and PM sent.

Whistling in the Dark
    Dec 2006

shuttle

I agree, the MRA shuttle is the easiest option. I've used them before, self-shuttled with cars and once I've done the whole loop on my bike. The last option was certainly the longest and most tiring.

No known cure
    I rode Cannell Saturday. It was my first time and I'm already planning another ride next month. The trail conditions were the same as earlier posts. Two riders on the shuttle ripped off their rear derailleurs. One brought a spare hanger and spare derailleur and was able to finish; the other walked and coasted. Another rider had three flats. It was unbelivably warm at the trail head. Bring more water than you'll need. Even though I topped off at the spring, I ran out of water near the top of The Plunge and had to rehydrate at the brewery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I rode the plunge and Jo beginning of June. I would advise 100oz of water for each rider and start as early as possible. I do not like the heat so I won't go back till the fall. It gets brutal out there. The plunge section is very sandy and exposed at the end of the ride so save something in the tank. We used a local guy who drove our car back down to the th. cheapest and easiest way to do it and he will go early. Shuttle bob 760-223-2815. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have done this ride twice now, and while I really enjoyed it, I will not likely repeat. I really enjoy high altitude, but like more flowy stuff and some downhill with a little less technical and perilous possible outcome. Thinking of riding JO. Not sure how it compares and contrasts to the Plunge. I too carried a pack with 100 oz water, as well as another 64 oz of Gatorade. Highly recommend taking more than you think you will need. If one did get seriously hurt, you would not want to be up there in the heat without extra safe fluids.
    Last edited by trmn8er; 06-27-2012 at 11:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did it for the last 3 weekends in a row. The trail is in great shape albeit a little dusty. The spring on the fired road climb out of Big Meadow has clean water that needs no filter (potable), and the cabins further down have water.
    It has been a little warm at the end but at least it mostly coasting for the last 8 miles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I like the plunge trail but it is kinda of *****
    to get to the fun. Just outstanding has more
    Flow and less uphill. There's a couple different
    routes but heading towards Dutch flats to the
    old dh course does require sum pedaling or
    U can take the ridge trail to the hwy. There
    Is a ton of rides out there.

Whistling in the Dark
    Dec 2006
    I'm riding Cannell from Sherman pass next saturday and have one car with a driver but still need rides for 2-3 more. Is anyone else driving up that might have room next saturday?

Whistling in the Dark
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury+Fly View Post
    I'm riding Cannell from Sherman pass next saturday and have one car with a driver but still need rides for 2-3 more. Is anyone else driving up that might have room next saturday?
    So, just got back and the trail was in nice condition. A little more sandy than I remember from last year and a lot of the trail edges on the Plunge are getting washed out by people getting a little too close to the edge. Seems that every time i ride the plunge the trail is a little bit skinnier. That being said, the trail is still everything it is reputed to be, so have fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0