Co Op Bike Park near LA- Mtbr.com
    tranqui_yanqui

Co Op Bike Park near LA

I've been playing with the idea of how to get a bike park built in the LA area for quite some time. Places like Skypark and Snow Summit are great but far and only open seasonally. I thought that a Co Op model on private property could work well given the impossible task of getting bike specific trails passed through local legislation. I know there are some ski resorts in Canada that are Co Ops. Given the cost and complication of building a chair lift access, I thought something akin to Sky Park would be best. There would still be many difficult steps, like zoning, cost, liability, etc. However, if we could pool resources and know-how, it could make this easier. And with it being private, we could use electric/gas powered machinery, making it much easier to build trail.

How much acreage do you think would be necessary? 5 acres per mile of trail? 10 acres per mile?

Are people interested?

How much do you think members would be willing to pay towards monthly fees for mortgage, maintenance, etc?

Here is a piece of land I've been eyeing: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Simi-Valle...m_content=link

Co Op definition: A cooperative, often shortened to ďco-op,Ē is a business that is owned and operated by and for the benefit of its members. A cooperative is formed when several people identify an unmet need. For example, artisans in a downtown area might see the need for a conveniently located market; freelancers might identify the need for a co-working space. Potential members then conduct cost and feasibility studies and explore financing possibilities.
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29
    Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    Soma Double Cross

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    I love this Idea, but Simi Valley is not really "close" to most of the "LA Area" in comparison to Sky Park.

Simi is in Ventura County.

But I guess that is close if you live in the SF Valley, but not much better for people who in in Orange County, Riverside and San Berdu county. Kinda halfway for those in LA proper.

That is a bit nit picky I guess, but freeway traffic can really play into travel time as well.

To be really in LA something in the Hollywood hills would be better even though it would be way too expensive to purchase and use for this.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

tranqui_yanqui
    Given that OC and San Bernardino have the most access to public and private MTB trails, I think that it makes sense for this to primarily serve LA, SFV, Santa Clarita, Conejo Valley and Ventura County.

I wish Hollywood Hills had cheap land. Given the cost of land, I think that the Castaic area might be a good option, albeit not too close.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    Soma Double Cross

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    I wish we had something like this in San Diego. Specifically MTB trails that do not allow hikers on them. I love the MUT trails I have access too, but there is something much different about riding a trail specifically designed for MTB, and I cannot get up to Summit or Sky park as often as I would like.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

tranqui_yanqui
    After seeing what Greer Ranch trail builders did without machinery and similar terrain, it really inspired me. This reminds me of skating in the 90's when there were not skateparks nearby. I realize that Castaic and Simi are not exactly central but are very doable for people in LA on weekends.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    Soma Double Cross

mtbr member
    I think on a lot of land no bigger than a driving range, you could create a decent MTB center in an urban area. I'm not sure an all indoor place like Rays in OH would be desirable here, but maybe a hybrid, indoor/outdoor facility to maximize space.

https://raysmtb.com/

Now the question is there enough interest in MTB to make a business operation like this possible? The problem is any plot of land in LA is very valuable as commercial or housing real estate.

tranqui_yanqui
    Thats funny. Last week I was watching youtube tour of Ray's and thought a smaller space could be enhanced by features like that. Given our great weather, I see little reason for indoor. It would have to be different enough from a community bike park like Sapwi for people to invest in it. I think that many of the sloped lots that are good for mountain biking, make them less desirable for housing/commercial space.

I actually contacted a paintball/airsoft range (warped ops) near Castaic that has an ideal piece of land. The operations manager was very interested, but the owner still hasnt gotten back to me.

I just calculated that if there were 50 co-owners, a $500k piece of land would require each individual invest $2000 toward a 20% downpayment. It would only be $44 dollars a month in mortgage/taxes/insurance per person. Obviously, this doesnt include many other costs. There could be a day use fee for non-members too.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    Soma Double Cross

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Iíve had similar notions about something up the 5 in the same vicinity.

Liability being the single biggest hurdle. You can trust members and day visitors to respect the rules (hours, closures, etc) but what you canít do is expect everyone else to stay off the land. Even if you could somehow afford fencing, it wouldnít deter those who are intent on riding it uninvited, and without having signed any kind of release etc. Massive liability. Maybe very low cost fencing would be enough to lower premiums/liability?

Not impossible to insure... but I imagine VERY expensive?

I dunno. Iíd be interested in pitching in financially for something like this if the monthly cost can be kept low enough.

Edit: one great benefit would be deciding how co-op members get themselves to the top. Private property = private vehicles etc.

tranqui_yanqui
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Slater View Post
    Iíve had similar notions about something up the 5 in the same vicinity.

Liability being the single biggest hurdle. You can trust members and day visitors to respect the rules (hours, closures, etc) but what you canít do is expect everyone else to stay off the land. Even if you could somehow afford fencing, it wouldnít deter those who are intent on riding it uninvited, and without having signed any kind of release etc. Massive liability. Maybe very low cost fencing would be enough to lower premiums/liability?

Not impossible to insure... but I imagine VERY expensive?

I dunno. Iíd be interested in pitching in financially for something like this if the monthly cost can be kept low enough.

Edit: one great benefit would be deciding how co-op members get themselves to the top. Private property = private vehicles etc.
    Good point on the liability issue of people sneaking in. I'm curious to see if land value will fall towards the end of this year.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    Soma Double Cross

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Maybe talk to some of the more know local MTBers on youtube, like Tommy, Tony, Allen, & such? They might be interested or know some people?

mtbr member
    If there is some kind of "bike park" in Simi...it would draw a lot of riders. There are tons of mountain bikers in the area. Has anyone here done the Chili ride in Castaic? The amount of riders that show up for that is huge. I did it for the first time last year and I couldn't believe how many people showed up. I bet most will be willing to drive 1 to 2 hours to ride a bike park. Big Bear for me is a 3.5 hour drive. I drive an hour to ride up at Mt. Pinos.

When Crazy Bear was shuttling Mt Pinos...people would drive up from San Bernardino...San Dimas. If the riding is there...people will show up.

If a bike park opened up in Simi...I'd be there all the time.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Needs to be indoors in a huge insulated warehouse type building with controlled air temps.

Open year round.

You pay for an annual pass.

Open daily.

Features made of wood, concrete, dirt, and rocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    There is plenty of un used areas of land around the long beach area

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    I tried to do this a few years back. I wrote detailed letters to the various park authorities in LA and had a whole plan to develop such a thing and scouted some very good, under utilized spaces that would not get in anyone's way as we bikers are looked upon as scum. They in turn hooked my up with some guys from CORBA and we went to shops getting signatures, or at least we tried. While I got several pages of signatures, no other shop seemed to care. We were making headway and then the guys I was working with who were handling the negotiations decided to become adults (always a bad choice) by having kiddos. So they jumped ship at that point for diaper duty, that was a couple years ago. I went to the one in Thousand oaks and it is cool but just ok. I think making more trails and connecting different systems would be a better use of time and energy. Just my 2-cents.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I road more gravel/fire roads than mtb currently; but, some of the trails I use to ride that allowed mtb/gravel bikes(like Betty Dearing trail near Van Nuys) now say on trailforks apps say no biking allowed. Really unfortunate as some of these trails are fun & good climbing practice & has me wondering which gravel/mtb trails are next. I have no real qualms riding road, but for safety reasons I prefer to be off-road. Also, it's way more fun to ride in nature than road next to someone being distracted by their car infotainment system. So, having more bike friendly trails or a bike park like the one being suggested here would be cool.

mtbr member
    There is a new ďbike parkĒ being built up in Castaic. I think itís going to be mostly a pump track...but the description says mountain bikes also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Just a pump track & nothing else? Sounds a little limited to me. Speaking of which I plan to go to the Dirt Mulholland pump track tomorrow, but it has more to do than just a pump track if anyone's been there.

No known cure
    Move to where the bike parks are. I can ride to Skypark from my front door and commute down the hill for work. In the winter we board and quite frankly, you couldn't pay me to drive down the hill with my bike. Just driving to Santa Monica is around three hours one way. I will drive to surf but that's it.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Move to where the bike parks are. I can ride to Skypark from my front door and commute down the hill for work. In the winter we board and quite frankly, you couldn't pay me to drive down the hill with my bike. Just driving to Santa Monica is around three hours one way. I will drive to surf but that's it.
    Anyone who would relocate specifically for those parks has pretty low riding standards IMO.

No surprise though that here's another great chance to turn things around to you and convince everyone how rad of a dood you are.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Anyone who would relocate specifically for those parks has pretty low riding standards IMO.

No surprise though that here's another great chance to turn things around to you and convince everyone how rad of a dood you are.
    It's not that. I just can't fathom how someone could live down the hill. The riding is just horrible and I can't think of a single destination down there I'd sit in traffic for. I don't live here for the parks, but for all the recreational opportunities, slower pace of life, quiet, tighter community, four seasons, clear night sky, 4X trails out the door, hot springs. I could go on. The parks do take a lot of pressure off the local trails. I'm also two hours closer to Sedona or Kernville so up here is a great jumping off point.

mtbr member
    It's not that. I just can't fathom how someone could live down the hill. The riding is just horrible and I can't think of a single destination down there I'd sit in traffic for. I don't live here for the parks, but for all the recreational opportunities, slower pace of life, quiet, tighter community, four seasons, clear night sky, 4X trails out the door, hot springs. I could go on. The parks do take a lot of pressure off the local trails. I'm also two hours closer to Sedona or Kernville so up here is a great jumping off point.
    ...and yet you continue on about yourself in a thread that has little to do with where you live.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    Just a pump track & nothing else? Sounds a little limited to me. Speaking of which I plan to go to the Dirt Mulholland pump track tomorrow, but it has more to do than just a pump track if anyone's been there.
    The details arenít all that detailed. The description does say ďmountain bikesĒ. It got some decent money from the city. Which some of the residents donít seem too happy about. Iíll take it though. Even if itís a pump track...itíll be a pump track thatís really close to me. Give me a reason to put together another bike.

Did you end up going to Kenter? Iíve only seen pics of the area. I usually go to Sullivan a few streets down.

mtbr member
    Just a pump track & nothing else? Sounds a little limited to me.
    Seems like a bit more than a pump track. We'll see pretty soon. Supposedly opening next month.

https://www.hometownstation.com/sant...nderway-337481

mtbr member

Co Op Bike Park near LA

The area behind the sports complex is fairly flat. So not sure on how there would be any ďtrailsĒ for MTB. I guess weíll see as the construction progresses. The sports complex is where most park to access the Tapia trails.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    ...and yet you continue on about yourself in a thread that has little to do with where you live.
    It's not about me. Southern California already has four bike parks. Maybe you're geographically challenged.

If you've lived here any amount of time you'd know everything involves a 2-3 hour drive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    The details arenít all that detailed. The description does say ďmountain bikesĒ. It got some decent money from the city. Which some of the residents donít seem too happy about. Iíll take it though. Even if itís a pump track...itíll be a pump track thatís really close to me. Give me a reason to put together another bike.

Did you end up going to Kenter? Iíve only seen pics of the area. I usually go to Sullivan a few streets down.

I did go, did one round cause people were hiking the wrong way & decided not to as I'd be worried I'd hit someone. I'm still in the learning & trying to get better phase.

The area behind the sports complex is fairly flat. So not sure on how there would be any ďtrailsĒ for MTB. I guess weíll see as the construction progresses. The sports complex is where most park to access the Tapia trails.

They could make it into a flat xc course?

mtbr member

This isn't near Tapia, it's in Santa Clarita, off Golden Valley Road.

mtbr member
    It's not about me. Southern California already has four bike parks. Maybe you're geographically challenged.

If you've lived here any amount of time you'd know everything involves a 2-3 hour drive.
    Read the title of the thread and the OP's scouted location and get back to me with that geography lesson.

mtbr member

Co Op Bike Park near LA

Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    This isn't near Tapia, it's in Santa Clarita, off Golden Valley Road.
    Oh haha...I was thinking of the wrong sports complex. Thereís one in Castaic too.

I rode Tapia today and didnít see any digging around the sports complex.

mtbr member
    They could make it into a flat xc course?
    I was thinking about a completely different sports complex. Its not where I thought it was going to be. I got to run some errands tomorrow...I might go to that area and check it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Which one were you thinking of? Tomorrow as in Monday or Tuesday?

mtbr member
    There's also the Fullerton bike park project that's been dragging on since 2015

https://www.ocparks.com/about/projec..._bike_facility

By end of Dec 2019, there looked to be some progress, but then 2020 happened and we all know how's thats going.

mtbr member
    I went down to the SC complex and went towards the back where the basketball court is.

This is what I saw. There a some rolling hills in the back. If they do use the hillside...maybe it can be made into short downhill sections like Sky Park. I didnít really see any machines back there working. This is kinda at the top of the hill. These types of rolling hills are all around the Santa Clarita valley.

If it can have some short DH runs...itíll be pretty cool. Itíll be even cooler if it had a truck or something of the sort to shuttle you back up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I am not DH rider, but that would be cool. If they can also have a blue flow trail even better. I personally don't mind climbing up as I need the exercise. Oooh maybe have one uphill trail that's more technical?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    for me, it is a kinda 1-hour drive, so I more than interested!I'm not certainly sure how the co-op model operates in terms of responsibility and pricing for the Land, and riders health - etc;

however, even with walk uphill option, it would be awesome for the local community!

mtbr member
    Bike park in Santa Clarita is officially open today. I'll might drive over to check it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    What's the name of that? Is that the one with the pump & jump tracks? Or is that a different one I saw on trailforks. Also, unfortunate weekend to open when Sunday is supposed to be very unhealthy air quality in the SoCal area.

mtbr member
    Itís behind the Santa Clarita Sports Complex.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    @RS VR6 any details on open hours or how the park works?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Is this the place?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M View Post
    @RS VR6 any details on open hours or how the park works?
    Its open from dawn to dusk. Open to the public. Its got a pump track and a couple MTB runs. From the video I saw...the trail is a jump line with berms. It looks a bit rough now...but I'm sure over time...they'll get more refined.

Is this the place?
    Nope...that's in Thousand Oaks. This is in Santa Clarita.

I stole this pic off our local Facebook group from member DA. Hope you don't mind that I stole your pic .

Co Op Bike Park near LA-scbp.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Do they have a website?

mtbr member
    I don't think so...at least not yet.

mtbr member
    Here are a few pics I took Wednesday. The climb on the right looks like it takes you to the top. There are two pump tracks. The one you see in front and there is another kiddie pump track on the left side.

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.