Clark Canyon Trail Damage (Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon Area) - San Diego, CA- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Clark Canyon Trail Damage (Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon Area) - San Diego, CA

I am saddened to report that the single track along the valley in the Clark Canyon area has suffered extensive damage. This is the valley that is east of the more commonly used Sycamore Canyon and Goodman Ranch area and is east of the ridge trail. In recent years access has been limited to access from the south and then turning around right at the Goodan Ranch boundary.

The damage I observed seemed to have stopped where rangers have installed further sensitive habitat warning signs and new fencing. I spoke with the rangers yesterday and they informed me the damage was done by a Jeep and that other parts of the park property were also damaged. Another mountain biker took video of the offending Jeep, but they have not been able to locate the offender. I informed them that this same area has recently been damaged by trucks from ACS Habitat Management that I have witnessed driving their truck through single track sections. The ACS website mentioned projects around building vernal pools for the fairy shrimp. Anyone know about this work in the area or the state of land ownership just south of the preserve property line?

Expect further enforcement and possible additional trail closures thanks to the thoughtless behavior of others. Sigh.

New sign earlier in the valley :

Clark Canyon Trail Damage (Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon Area) - San Diego, CA-new-sign.jpg

New additional fencing :

Clark Canyon Trail Damage (Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon Area) - San Diego, CA-new-fence.jpg

Blue lines indicate stop and start of observed trail damage :

Clark Canyon Trail Damage (Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon Area) - San Diego, CA-screen-shot-2015-06-03-12.17.31-pm.jpg

TCB
    mtbr member
    I believe the first section of Clark Canyon is on MCAS property
    Scroll down from this post to see two maps showing the property lines of MCAS http://forums.mtbr.com/california-so...ng-753359.html
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitk View Post
    Anyone know about this work in the area or the state of land ownership just south of the preserve property line?
    As TCB said the very bottom of Clark is MCAS property. Going north up the canyon there are a couple parcels the County now owns, then a couple private property parcels, then a longer stretch on a large parcel owned by Hansen Aggregate. Above that I believe Clark runs through County land (Goodan Ranch) up to the top of the canyon where the staging area is.

A lot of people don't realize, and I didn't til I saw a map recently, but pretty much all of Sycamore Canyon proper south of Goodan Ranch is MCAS property. It goes part way up the east side of the canyon, which means both Diamondback and Sidewinder end on MCAS land where they drop down.

Expect further enforcement and possible additional trail closures thanks to the thoughtless behavior of others. Sigh.
    Unfortunately we are on borrowed time for this whole area regardless of thoughtless behavior of others.

All of the land there is private or military. A new owner is again working to develop Fanita Ranch so enjoy it while it lasts.

A bigger immediate threat to access here is people being stupid in where they park, showing up with large groups and parking in neighborhoods, and making lots of noise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    San Diego has the worst trail system management I have ever seen. Other big cities do a much better job, but then again, those city politicians probably aren't as bought off by big unions as San Diego's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    So am I right that the Fanita Ranch development is basically a direct assault on Candygram, Spaceballs, etc?

Here is a map I found from UT to try and consolidate information here for this area.

Name:  FanitaMap_t180.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  20.2 KB

For anyone that is currently getting trail access starting at West Hills High School there is additional development from Pardee Homes starting up there (Castlerock)

"Castlerock is part of the East Elliott Community Planning Area, which allows for up to 500 homes to be built on the site. The development of new homes in a variety of housing styles will help address the future housing needs of the San Diego region and will bring new consumers to the east San Diego retail market, benefiting the local economy.
"

"The Center for Biological Diversity, Preserve Wild Santee and California Chaparral Institute reached an agreement with developer Pardee Homes resolving the groupsí environmental concerns. With the settlement Pardee agreed to improve the Castlerock project to ensure protections for Quail Canyon Creek and make additional land available for permanent preservation, with the potential for further expansion of Mission Trails Regional Park and the San Diego River Park."

Clark Canyon Trail Damage (Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon Area) - San Diego, CA-par_cr_art_map-site-plan-060612.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No, Candygram and Spaceballs are further Northeast of the lakes (based on the map you posted). But I suspect it's a matter of time before they take those too. All in the name of progress (or preservation)

TCB
    mtbr member
    Looking at the UT map, Blazing Saddles and MOJO are in the path of future development, in five to ten years they might be known as "Blazing Saddles Dr" and "MOJO BLVD"

mtbr member
    So am I right that the Fanita Ranch development is basically a direct assault on Candygram, Spaceballs, etc?
    Hard to say. They are likely going to build on the ridge tops and down in the flat areas. Mongo, CG and HA may be on steep enough ground or far enough down the hill that they won't be affected. Not sure about other trails, it will all depend on how they design the community. It will have to go before public planning processes so we will see it at some point. They will probably only be allowed to build on half or so of the actual area they own, the rest will be open space.

One ring to mash them all
    For anyone that is currently getting trail access starting at West Hills High School there is additional development from Pardee Homes starting up there (Castlerock)
    I thought they were supposed to start bulldozing and close off that entry in Feb. or March. Wonder what the holdup is?

IPA tester
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Unfortunately we are on borrowed time for this whole area regardless of thoughtless behavior of others.

All of the land there is private or military. A new owner is again working to develop Fanita Ranch so enjoy it while it lasts.
    So are you saying: "ride it til they pave it, brah!"
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Atop Mojo yesterday...

Clark Canyon Trail Damage (Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon Area) - San Diego, CA-mojo.jpg

And Mojo looking south. Not sure how far North the Fortuna development will come into this view in the future.

Clark Canyon Trail Damage (Goodan Ranch/Sycamore Canyon Area) - San Diego, CA-fortuna.jpg

TCB
    mtbr member
    Atop Mojo yesterday...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mojo.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	993681

And Mojo looking south. Not sure how far North the Fortuna development will come into this view in the future.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fortuna.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	993682
    That's upper Mongo not Mojo, you can see the start of Mojo in the bottom photo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Heh think one thing type another You are correct.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    San Diego police were out in force in the Sycamore Canyon area today with *FIVE* gas powered ATVs ripping up the trail. They came all of the way up to the south gate of the Goodman Ranch Preserve which AFAIK had them on county/preserve land. Nice of them to go through sections of single track that had alternative wider routes. I wonder if they had permission from the Marines for the MCAS property that they crossed through.

On the way back I passed a ranger who was also riding in an ATV and was out to install more trail closed signs. He had no idea about the police presence. I wonder what they closed today.

mtbr member
    Where did you encounter the ranger, and what park/agency were they from?

Police have done ATV training out there from time to time. I don't know if they get permission or if they are even aware that is Marine and/or private land they are training on.

mtbr member
    Looked like more ATV and full size vehicle tracks out there this morning. Is the access to Mojo and Mongo off of Cuyamaca or Carlton Hills?
    "El Cajon?, that's the anus of San Diego"

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Where is mongo and mojo? I cant seem to find any map of where it is. maybe ive just got tunnel vision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    maybe it's not supposed to be on a map....

TCB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    maybe it's not supposed to be on a map....