Casual Riding Places In San Diego?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Casual Riding Places In San Diego?

So I recently got my fiancee into mountain biking and I got here a Trek Skye to see if this is something she would love to continue doing and in the long run get a better bike. Well it turns out she does enjoy it enough but I can tell this is something that she will only do beginners trails and nothing more.

My questions is does anyone know any places in San Diego that offer nice beginners trails with possibly nice scenery to go along with it. I am embarrassed to ask as I am a San Diegan but the trails I usually go to are not beginner friendly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    2011 Trek Remedy 7

mtbr member
    Lake hodges or the fire road/north side trails through PQ canyon come to mind...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks that a start. I also hear there is a book that has a lot of trails in san diego.
    2011 Trek Remedy 7

mtbr member
    Lower Otay lake is a fairly easy with great views of the Otay Mountains and the lake if your in the south bay area. There is also a walking/multi-use path that runs up above and around the Lake if you dont want to hit the single track.

I dont know about a book, but you may want to try mountain bike bill website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Timmy hit a couple of the good ones.

Best, John

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures

If you are down in San Diego, Both Rose and San Clemente (Marion Bear Park) Canyons are great for beginners. Marion Bear Park has a great mix for beginners, Fire Road, sandy area's, rocky creek beds both wet and dry, single track with introductory "technical" type stuff. I would recommend it over PQ or hodges just because there is more variety in trail conditions, but both PQ and Hodges have great beginner stuff as well. When we lived in Clairemont I took my wife to Marion Bear a number of times, she loved it!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

I feed hamburgers to cows
    Tri Canyon Area. Park at the end of Santa Fe street, cross the tracks and do that trail. It's beginner friendly.
    Felt Edict Nine

I <3 Dirt
    Big Laguna Trail. Super mellow trail and beautiful.

CEB
    Who's riding today?
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels View Post
    Big Laguna Trail. Super mellow trail and beautiful.
    1+. If she doesn't dig biking after that, well then . . . .

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    1+. If she doesn't dig biking after that, well then . . . .
    And you can ride around the meadow with her and then have her drive back down to pine valley so you can bomb down Noble! Double score.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yeah I agree if you want to get her hooked on the sport take her to Big Laguna Trail. Killer scenery and a great easy ride. Set aside 4-5 hours as you are going to be driveing to the top of Sunrise Highway. And you mentioned a book,well you asked and you shall receive. It's a great guide to most all that San Diego has to offer. And each trail is described and rated from beginner to expert. Here you go San Diego Mountain Bike Guide:Amazon:Books
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

banned
    +1 on BLT.

Also agree on Rose / San Clemente cyns, BUT -- watch out for the poison oak!

mtbr member
    Lake Hodges would be probably be the best bet.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Los Penasquitas is a great one that comes to mind. It's got alot of shade and flat fire roads on one side of the loop including some good climbs and fun descents. Plus, the other side of the loop has some really great single track, though some of it is closed to mountain bikes. Great scenery aswell, just Friday night I had a small bobcat leap accross the trail in front of me then stop and watch me continue on. I highly recconmend this place! Good luck with your search!

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Take her to the trails at UCSD too. Yeah, I know there's a couple of parts that aren't noob friendly (like the little bridge) but other than that, I think it's great for beginners.

I second Lower Otay Lake. A good step up from Lower Otay (other than the drop in from the Church and the climb out) is racetrack in Chula Vista. Southeast corner of East H Street and Paseo del Rey. Park on the street in front of the Church, the drop in is at the Northeast corner of the Church parking lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am not from San Diego, but I once rode in Balboa Park, the Florida Cyn area.This seems like a pretty fun, beginner place to ride. You can do loops in the place till she gets her skills and cardio up.

Members who have read this thread: 0