A bungee cord saves the day!- Mtbr.com
    TOP TIER LURKER

A bungee cord saves the day!

First of all, I recently stated on another forum on this site that my last ride on the HT was on Monday. Well, I lied. I was about to start taking it apart when I found out that PerfectZero was gonna ride locally to me so I joined in. One more venture for the HT wouldn't hurt anyone, anywhere, anytime.

We climbed Lower Brown Mtn and then Upper Brown Mtn. On the way up Upper, I snapped the tension spring on my right Eggbeater pedal. They don't work too well when that happens. I did not want to stop so we carried on, my right foot slipping all over the place as I tried to maintain contact with the failed pedal.

Made it to the top fairly easily all things considered. At the Ken Burton trailhead, I asked PZ if he had a zip tie, a piece of string, or a piece wire in his pack. He found a tiny bungee cord and I said, "that's it!" I wrapped it very tightly around the pedal, attaching the clip ends to the wings. I was able to set into the pedal but not clip firmly. That was more than enough stability to get me down and to have fun doing it.

Way to go Jon!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    On the trail fixes are the best!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    on tonights ride one of the guys had an eggbeater 11 bearing completely seize up and would not spin.
    he had to hike out on the single track to the fire road where he 1-pedaled up the fire road.

i would rather break the spring!

nice fix btw
    Juice

mtbr member
    glad I finally found a use for that miniature bungee.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    glad I finally found a use for that miniature bungee.
    OO7 is claiming that he gave that bungee cord to you? I think he's trying to swoop in for some of the credit

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I presume you learned your lesson and are switching to shimano or time?

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by peligro View Post
    I presume you learned your lesson and are switching to shimano or time?
    No sir. In fact, I switched from Shimano to CB pedals long ago. While the Shimano pedals never gave me any issues, they have too much contact for me and they are heavy. I appreciate the "float" sensation that the Eggbeater pedals offer.

See, I am not an abusive rider. My equipment lasts an eternity compared to what many experience.

After several years of use with the CB pedals, this is the first time they've ever failed on me. I've already ordered a temporary replacement set which are heavier but will be fine to use while I send in my 2ti's in for a service/repair.

I've had the rare component failure/issue with most all of the big company products out there in my 13 years of consistent mountain biking. If you consider just how much abuse a set of pedals takes on rough terrain simply from dealing with your body weight, year after year, it's a wonder that they don't fail more often, IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    While the Shimano pedals never gave me any issues, they have too much contact for me and they are heavy. I appreciate the "float" sensation that the Eggbeater pedals offer.
    Different strokes, I guess.

after years on CBs, I got tired of having my foot eject when striking a rock and went back to shimano...the extra security when pedaling through chunky bits is sooooo worth the tiny bit of extra weight, IMHO.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by peligro View Post
    Different strokes, I guess.

after years on CBs, I got tired of having my foot eject when striking a rock and went back to shimano...the extra security when pedaling through chunky bits is sooooo worth the tiny bit of extra weight, IMHO.
    That's certainly understandable.

When my pedal or any part of my bike hits a rock, I consider it an annoyance and curse loudly, lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I guess bungee is going in my pack.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    OO7 is claiming that he gave that bungee cord to you? I think he's trying to swoop in for some of the credit
    Ha HA!!! Indeed!!

And yeah, I carry one in the pack too. All sorts of random uses for em' and they take up very little space.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Members who have read this thread: 0