Black Mountain X-Training Opportunity in San Diego- Mtbr.com
    BM and PQ Trail Rep

Black Mountain X-Training Opportunity in San Diego

Trail building continues and I am asking for muscle. Last year we ordered a lot of pavers to reinforce the turns coming down the mountain. We had a great showing (80+) but got rained out repeatedly. This year it is looking good and we have pre-staged the pavers at the top of the hill.

I am looking for a strong turn out to hike in the stones the last 1/4 to 1/2 mile. The good news it is all down hill. The bad news is the stones weigh 60 pounds each and there will be in excess of 200 to move. Maybe we finish in one day, maybe we will need more days but the more folks that show up, the faster we can get this done. I would love the to complete the build this season and proclaim it open.

Black Mountain X-Training Opportunity in San Diego-20190227_065005.jpg

Are you game?

Saturday January 25 7:45 am to noon. We will be providing lunch and post event beverages. Remember the days of helping friends move for pizza and beer? This is a revisit of those day courtousy of San Diego Mountain Biking Association.

Please register here so we can accommodate you -->Black Widow Trail Work Day

We will host a swag giveaway post event and all people who register are also will get an entry to win a MTB trip for 1 from Escape Adventures. Your choice of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon or Black Canyon in Arizona. Go to the SDMBA page HERE for more details.

Bring friends, as we can use our help on the 25th.
    The world does not revolve around you but your actions impact us all!

One ring to mash them all
    What the hell. In.

Any strategy on how to move these other than 1 stone per person per trip? Something like a spartacus or rock sling? A pair of lodge poles to carry 1 or more stones stretcher-style? An old car hood used as a sled? Does the terrain/slope in that last bit of downhill even allow for things like that?
    Freedom isnít a shield against the negative consequences of oneís own foolishness.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    I should be able to make it but I am with one ring. There could be a way to rig something up to ease everyoneís back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Thank you guys. Per the how to move comments...

- The trail is too steep or rugged to use a wheel barrow. We tried and were only able to make it to the rock roll on turn 3. We need to take the stones down to turns 5, 6, and 7.

- A sled is a nice idea but because of the same reasons above and we are looking to minimize damage to the tread and plants. A sled could cause all sorts of problems.

- The sling like a Spartacus is problematic only because it does not lend it to easy walking. Besides, two people may not be able to control the tip as the Spartacus is meant for 4 or more.

-Two poles might be possible BUT you need to figure a way to secure the pavers from sliding and shifting the weight to the front person. Ideally you would want to carry 3 pavers to make it more efficient than the individual carrying one but now you are carrying in excess of 180 pounds of pavers between the two workers. If they slip, somebody is going home with serious hand damage.

The most efficient set up I have seen was a piece of plywood as a base with a 1" x 2" board along the bottom to serve as a retention ledge. The users strapped the stones to that and their hiking backpack using motorcycle tie downs. That still limited the carrying to one stone per person but it is now balanced on your back in a weight not unsimilar to a 5 day pack.

I have personally carried one or two (HA!) of these down the hill to build the first two turns by hand. Gloves are absolutely a must. Depending on the group size, we might be able to create relay stations where participants carry stones a shorter distance but make the haul seem less taxing.

I am looking forward to working with everyone on Saturday the 25th at 7:45 am!

I had a feeling steep & sketchy would rule out most multi-person carry options.

The 2-pole stretcher method could include a plywood platform with tall cleats screwed down on top to prevent paver sliding. Or maybe a section of chain link to act as a "hammock." Still may get no more than 2 per carry but it might save wear & tear on the users vs. hand-carry.

Or I can just stop overthinking it

I have an old backpack I might be able to rig up like you described.

Gloves for sure, and may I suggest a long sleeved sweatshirt or similar (maybe from a trip to the thrift store?). Concrete abrasions suuuuck.
    Freedom isnít a shield against the negative consequences of oneís own foolishness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    In... If there are any "ruckers" out there, this workout.. err work day is for you

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I helped carry pavers for the work on shits and black widow. In my opinion the fastest, easiest way to do it is one at a time. Use gloves, wear a durable long sleeve top, and hug it against your chest. In my experience I was moving 3-4 pavers in the same time it was taking one person to connect one paver to their modified back pack and move it down trail. I'm not trying to brag, i'm just think it'll be best if we have the numbers and everyone does it the same way and we relay the stones.

Quote Originally Posted by agroman2001 View Post
    I helped carry pavers for the work on shits and black widow. In my opinion the fastest, easiest way to do it is one at a time. Use gloves, wear a durable long sleeve top, and hug it against your chest. In my experience I was moving 3-4 pavers in the same time it was taking one person to connect one paver to their modified back pack and move it down trail. I'm not trying to brag, i'm just think it'll be best if we have the numbers and everyone does it the same way and we relay the stones.
    At the end of the day, that's how it'll probably play out.

Need to see if my wife will come out, she does spartan races.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Sounds like fun! I'm probably in for this one barring any extenuating circumstances! I'll get back to you guys next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Could a paver or 2 be tied to a pole or board. the board is then carried on the shoulder of the people with the paver handing between them. Like a liter but one pole carried on the shoulder.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.M. View Post
    Could a paver or 2 be tied to a pole or board. the board is then carried on the shoulder of the people with the paver handing between them. Like a liter but one pole carried on the shoulder.
    Yes. It would need to be secured very well as there are several steep sections where a loose paver will harm the lower user if it slipped. We had some folks experiment using shovels and rake handles threaded through the openings of the pavers. It works on flat ground but not sloped.

For efficiency you would want to ensure you can support 2 or more pavers otherwise it might be faster just to carry a single paver per person.

I appreciate all the thought. I welcome it all. We are like a supercomputer! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    We are like a supercomputer! :-)
    Yeah, we all cray.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    We moved about 60 pavers today to a few staging areas along the trail. The thought behind the pre-stage is this:

1. Move the pavers in several short moves rather than the entire hike by one individuals.
    2. By setting 3 staging areas ahead of time, more can be done faster by dividing the overall group into smaller parties

While the pavers are 60 pounds each, they are quite rough and grab onto clothes. If you use a bear grip you will find it does not take a lot of effort to hold on to them.

If you are still considering building a carrying rig, a thick strap (think padded shoulder strap from luggage) with a broad hook on both ends. The rope would carry the weight on your shoulders, arms stabilize the load, and the hooks allow for a rapid load and unload of the pavers. The pavers are 4 inches thick so think large hooks like bicycle wall hooks. Not sure how you would link the rope/strap to the hooks but after today, that would be the easiest and fastest augmentation to carrying the pavers by hand, not that there is anything wrong with that!

Gloves and long sleeves are a must if you want to hold on to your skin.

mtbr member
    Good to know. Great idea tricking those spartan racers into helping with trail work!

If anyone needs some work gloves, the ďdigzĒ gardening gloves from home depot are really quality for like $10. As someone who once scraped off all the skin on their palm, you definitely want to protect those hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are still considering building a carrying rig, a thick strap (think padded shoulder strap from luggage) with a broad hook on both ends. The rope would carry the weight on your shoulders, arms stabilize the load, and the hooks allow for a rapid load and unload of the pavers. The pavers are 4 inches thick so think large hooks like bicycle wall hooks. Not sure how you would link the rope/strap to the hooks but after today, that would be the easiest and fastest augmentation to carrying the pavers by hand, not that there is anything wrong with that!
    Simplest thing would be a sturdy rope with hooks securely fastened. You could add neck padding pretty easily. Cut down an old pool noodle, pipe insulation or one of those damned cushcores that you gave up trying to install.

If you want to get fancy, something like this would be a start:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-3...4228/205492407

Black Mountain X-Training Opportunity in San Diego-yellows-golds-keeper-tie-down-hardware-accessories-04228-64_1000.jpg

$6-fiddy. They're supposedly in stock at Genesee, Imp. Beach, Escondido, N. O'side, and Vista stores.

You'd still need to attach something to the D-rings to grasp the blocks, like the hooks BB suggested or maybe some additional webbing to go underneath. Since the straps are only 36" long, something to make the blocks hang lower would give a more comfortable carry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    How about a carpet dolly with big pneumatic tires?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vestil-6...T-45/205722646

500 lb load capacity. You would need to build some sort of plywood cradle to hold the blocks on top of the dolly. Then probably have two people roll the dolly down the trail. It could at least be used to move blocks along the smoother/flatter sections. probably about 4 blocks at a time.

Or a hand truck with pneumatic wheels:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...800P/100071520

I would consider coming out but my back can barely handle bike riding. This kind of trail work would permanently disable me at this point. At least I renewed my SDMBA membership to lend a little bit of financial support.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    This may sound crazy, but how about a bike trailer or baby jogger? Probably pretty good at negotiating the trail. Might only be able to carry one block at a time; however, with reinforcement perhaps you could get that up to 2 blocks?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...058004162.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What are the dimensions of these pavers? I have a rather large backpack that may help, but not sure if they'll fit.

I'll be there, and my wife may come too!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    What are the dimensions of these pavers? I have a rather large backpack that may help, but not sure if they'll fit.
    I think they are similar to: https://www.mutualmaterials.com/prod...fstone-pavers/

Dimensions: 3-1/2" x 15-3/4" x 23-5/8"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    We'll see if this works then, thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Thank you to the 47 volunteers who came out for a day of serious labor. Over 1/3 were represented by workers under the age of 18 - Nighthawk Cycling, a highschool MTB racing team and a local scout troop. There is hope for the future after we get too old to soldier on! All told, we moved over 10,000 pounds of pavers and another 2,000 pounds of rock this time. It was a heck of a move and I want to personally thank everyone who helped.

Black Mountain X-Training Opportunity in San Diego-20200125_113654.jpg

We moved it all sorts of ways..

By bikepack:

Black Mountain X-Training Opportunity in San Diego-img_0514.jpg

By hand:

Attachment 1307891

And my personal favorite, human mule train!

We will be back out this upcoming Saturday (Feb 1) to start placing the pavers into the ground.

Check the meetup.com/sdmba site for detail if you are interested.

If you have to ask...
    It was a lot of fun. Four stars. Would recommend.
    It's 7:09 California time

We will be back out this upcoming Saturday (Feb 1) to start placing the pavers into the ground.

Check the meetup.com/sdmba site for detail if you are interested.
    On the fence. I may have to do yard work in my own yard this weekend.