• 02-20-2014
    SMKNTRLS
    Bike for Tapia/local trails / maybe TO trails w/ a little bit of Big Bear and Mammoth
    Curious guys. I'm looking to upgrade from my '01 GF Sugar and I am thinking about spending $1,500 on a new/used ride. I'm 6'2" with 32 inseam and 240 lbs and a pretty strong climber. Pretty fast downhill and like to hit all the little jumps while attempting to keep up with the Jones's who are riding 29ers. I am thinking about a 29er as the Pivot and the Rip 9 I've ridden have been pretty fun. Thoughts on bikes you'd suggest for the area.

Definately want a plush FS. Amount of travel??? Enough to not get beat up but not so much I'm missing out on all the fun carving and jumping off of everything. The SB-66 was just to firm for me.

A Banshee Prime sounds good to me but I'm wondering if it's just too burly just like a new Enduro 29er.

Also thinking do I need a really slack bike like the aforementioned or even the SJ Evo as really the downs aren't that down. Or are they? New to all this so be kind.

Just like to make sure I'm not over biking (take away the fun of carving and jumping off of everything) or under biking (just getting beat up).

Maybe an older Spider (but reading it's too burly) or Jet 9 (but maybe it's too XCsh).

Open to suggestions and don't mind flipping a pro pedal switch if I can get better performance on the downs.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Smkntrls
  • 02-20-2014
    Hawgzilla
    Play it safe and go with "burly". I would build a Prime and be done with it. You'd be ready for most anything you encounter with that bike. Don't worry about the extra weight. If you're a strong climber, you'll be fine.
  • 02-20-2014
    SMKNTRLS
    Thanks Hawg for the feedback.

I'd love too but they are hard to find in a kit that's around that price. I keep thinking about building one up and then the prices just start going off the scope. I just don't know what to do anymore as I'm spending way too much time going over and over on this stuff and paying for demo's just takes away the ability to put it towards the bike.

I certainly am not looking to create a heated discussion guys about wheel sizes just wondering your thoughts. What are the ones you've enjoyed riding around here that you may have replaced with something new?
  • 02-20-2014
    Al G
    I ride Tapia all the time. I have a 4" travel 29er and a 6" travel 650b bike and honestly for Tapia and 99% of the "local" trails around this area the 29er is the ticket, not only is it faster up but faster down on the smooth trails here as well as just more fun and nimble despite the big wheels. Mammoth and BB are different beasts though where my 6" bike makes more sense (I also like it at Rocky Peak too and Mt Pinos).

If it were me and I was only occasionally going to BB and Mammoth, I'd be looking at a 5" travel 29er, great all rounder but could maybe get by on the burlier trails
  • 02-20-2014
    Klurejr
    Sounds like you want a min of 130mm of travel front and back, and a slightly slacker head angle.
  • 02-20-2014
    RS VR6
    I got a 29 HT and a 5.5in full suspension 26er...and I use the 29 HT at Tapia. Kona is fast and fairly smooth. I've gone down Burn Victim...not that fun in general. Haven't tried G-Out.

Pinos, Summit, and Mammoth...is where I use the 5.5in bike.
  • 02-20-2014
    SMKNTRLS
    Al G thanks for chiming in on the 650b (I like that name better ;-) as it's really been one that's had me thinking maybe I'm wasting my time. Certainly they have potentially more options with shorter stays but since it's newer technology I'm not going to find many with all the check marks for a reasonable price. Thanks for sharing.

Klurejr yeah I am honing down on that and the slacker angle's is intriguing as certainly more of a chance to relax vs working like mad to keep the speed wobbles down ;-)

RS VR6 your right in line with my riding buddy. He smokes down on his Trek 29er HT. You probably know him and your right it is fairly smooth so big suspension not as necessary.

29er, a little slacker head angle and a little more suspension is on order. Now to find one that's within the budget.

Thanks gents hope to see you out there. Enjoyed a great ride out there today. Certainly say hi as I'm probably the only one on a clean blue and grey '01 GF Sugar.

Smkntrls
  • 02-21-2014
    jeffj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SMKNTRLS View Post
    RS VR6 your right in line with my riding buddy. He smokes down on his Trek 29er HT. You probably know him and your right it is fairly smooth so big suspension not as necessary.

Tell your buddy that smoking while riding on the trails around here is not cool, regardless of what bike he rides, especially given the current dry conditions.

Thanks for the compliment :~)
  • 02-21-2014
    Fluidworks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Tell your buddy that smoking while riding on the trails around here is not cool, regardless of what bike he rides, especially given the current dry conditions.

Thanks for the compliment :~)

I don't think he meant smoking literally.

On topic- Tapia is gentrified and flat. You can do it on a rigid. I saw a guy on a cyclocross bike killing it down g out the other day. You don't need a 5" bike. My only bike right now is a HT 29er, (Kona Honzo), it's great in SoCal, and I take it down gnarly trails with washouts, rocks and drops.

That said, the Prime is a badass bike, and is a perfect quiver killer for down here.
  • 02-21-2014
    jeffj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I don't think he meant smoking literally.

I was having a bit of sport with the OP. The 'buddy' he is referring to is. . . . . me :p

If you select my entire post you'll see some additional text that would otherwise blend in with the background. Apologies for any confusion :~)
  • 02-21-2014
    SMKNTRLS
    So as you see I've got a joker for a riding buddy who doesn't mind smkntrls and leaving me in the dust ;) :p So how much further is five pounds (even with 29ers) going to put me behind someone who rides what three four times a week?

Or should I really care???

Fluidworks so what are you thinking your next bike FS is going to be? Or did you just give me a hint :idea: Thank you for taking the time to chime in.

ATB, Smkntrls