bike shops near newport beach (new bike purchase)..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bike shops near newport beach (new bike purchase)..

i've got a friend who is moving to newport beach. he's going to have some time on his hands and is taking up mtn biking. he's a decent athlete. anyway, another friend of his wants to buy him a mountain bike. i'm offering up a few mid-price suggestions to him. i think it would make sense, however, for the guy to be hooked up with a bike shop near him where he can get the bike dialed in, etc.

so, what shops would you recommend near newport for a new bike purchase and/or basic service....major brands of bikes: santa cruz, specialized, trek, etc.

wish i had friends who would buy me a bike!!

thanks

Recovering Weight Weenie

The Path Bike Shop Tustin, CA www.thepathbikeshop.com

Having lived/worked in the Newport Beach/Costa Mesa area for 10 years, I can testify that there are no legitimate bike shops in the area. Strictly beach cruisers, comfort bikes, and the occasional Trek Fuel fair.
    If you venture north to Fountain Valley, you can find the Costco of bike shops, Supergo, but you won't get personalized service there.
    If you venture south to Laguna Beach, you can find some high-end road shops.
    For 4 years, I drove 12 miles inland to Tustin, to the Path Bike Shop.
    If you want personal, appropriate, and real-world service and bikes, that's the place. Your friend will get what he needs, not what some Trek dealer "needs" to sell.
    Give a call and ask some questions. 714 669-0784

mtbr member

Laguna

Not in Newport but close. Laguna Cyclery sells Santa Cruz and Turner.

Jun 2005
    The Path is a great store. Very friendly guys in that shop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yes, The Path is very good. Just had my hub rebuilt there.

mtbr member
    May 2004

The Path

The Path is the only shop anyone who mountain bikes in Orange County should consider. Go there now, or figure out later that you should have gone there in the first place.

Peace & Love
    I don't even live in the OC but the Path is the shizzle in terms of SoCal bike shops! I only wish I lived closer to Tustin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    do you guys know what brands of mtn bikes path sells??

well i guess i should check out their website as well...

oh, and thanks!!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive

oh, and thanks!!
    Turner, Ellsworth, Kona, Jamis, Surly....etc etc etc

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

More brands

oh, and thanks!!

Rocky Mountain, Ironhorse, Bianchi, Norco, and I just saw they started carrying Scott Bikes.. yada yada yada..

mtbr member
    May 2004

I second (or 10th?), The Path

i've got a friend who is moving to newport beach. he's going to have some time on his hands and is taking up mtn biking. he's a decent athlete. anyway, another friend of his wants to buy him a mountain bike. i'm offering up a few mid-price suggestions to him. i think it would make sense, however, for the guy to be hooked up with a bike shop near him where he can get the bike dialed in, etc.

so, what shops would you recommend near newport for a new bike purchase and/or basic service....major brands of bikes: santa cruz, specialized, trek, etc.

thanks
    Good shop.

I used to live in Huntington Beach and went there.
    Other than that, I would reccomend maybe The Bike Company in Lake Forest
    since he's going to have to drive anyway. Lake Forest is about 35 minutes south of HB
    off Bake Parkway, and close to Whiting Ranch and the Santa Ana mountains anyway!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Rides shared with friends: Soul Music

banned
    Apr 2004

I hear the Path is a great shop but

thanks
    Supergo Fountain Valley is hard to beat for price and service, (especially if you catch a sale on specialized or one of their other offerings).

mtbr member
    May 2004

Negatory to Supergo

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    Supergo Fountain Valley is hard to beat for price and service, (especially if you catch a sale on specialized or one of their other offerings).
    Hard to beat for price, maybe. But service? Not a chance in hell. Those guys couldn't tell a valve stem from a stem. If you think their service is good, then you haven't been to The Path, or any other reputable shop. That place is a joke when it comes to service.

I remember asking a guy about all of the adjustments on the 5th Element shock. All he could come up with was "compression and rebound". When pressed harder, smoke started coming out of his ears. I seriously went there when I had some free time in the area, just for comic relief.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Bike Company, Lake Forest.

I don't particulalry care for The Path.

banned
    Apr 2004

Price, price and price

Quote Originally Posted by BrahMa
    Hard to beat for price, maybe. But service? Not a chance in hell. Those guys couldn't tell a valve stem from a stem. If you think their service is good, then you haven't been to The Path, or any other reputable shop. That place is a joke when it comes to service.

I remember asking a guy about all of the adjustments on the 5th Element shock. All he could come up with was "compression and rebound". When pressed harder, smoke started coming out of his ears. I seriously went there when I had some free time in the area, just for comic relief.
    are my three main concerns being I am the one that works on my bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Then why mention service?

are my three main concerns being I am the one that works on my bikes.
    I do the same, but if that's the case, then why mention that their service is good?

Were you talking about their service in handing you a part off the shelf and ringing it up for you on the register?

SS Pusher Man
    Switchback Cyclery in Orange. Great mom & pop shop. Very competative pricing. Santa Cruz, Felt, Trek, Gary Fisher.

Check them out.

3436 E. Chapman Ave
    Orange 92869
    714-628-3913

mtnbikej

Old school BMXer
    Price? Maybe...if they only stocked anything you'd actually WANT. They carry all that cheesy house branded stuff. The good stuff they do sell you can get anywhere else for a better price.

Service? Not a chance!!! There is not one person I've found who works at any Supergo who knows anything about anything. Moreover, they're too busy passing on misinformation to unsuspecting customers. Even when they do have something in stock that's not on display, good luck finding anyone who knows what you mean. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance soon enough to warn some friends, as they've purchased bikes built there that were completely jacked up. Others have taken there bikes there to get jacked up. I could name many specific examples. Supergo is worthless IMHO.

I vote for The Path as well. It's just a short drive from Newport Beach. If they don't have it in stock, they'll get it. There are no other shops I'd recommend (been to all of the shops in the OC), and could give you stories about almost each one of them (not all bad - most are neutral).

banned
    Apr 2004

Service is hit and miss at any big company

Quote Originally Posted by BrahMa
    I do the same, but if that's the case, then why mention that their service is good?

Were you talking about their service in handing you a part off the shelf and ringing it up for you on the register?
    unfortunate you ran into a salesman that failed your pop quiz because there are a few guys there that really know their shet.

Besides, buy a good bike with good componets and there ain't much to do but ride.

banned
    Apr 2004

It's good you have a shop you can rely on

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    Price? Maybe...if they only stocked anything you'd actually WANT. They carry all that cheesy house branded stuff. The good stuff they do sell you can get anywhere else for a better price.

Service? Not a chance!!! There is not one person I've found who works at any Supergo who knows anything about anything. Moreover, they're too busy passing on misinformation to unsuspecting customers. Even when they do have something in stock that's not on display, good luck finding anyone who knows what you mean. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance soon enough to warn some friends, as they've purchased bikes built there that were completely jacked up. Others have taken there bikes there to get jacked up. I could name many specific examples. Supergo is worthless IMHO.

I vote for The Path as well. It's just a short drive from Newport Beach. If they don't have it in stock, they'll get it. There are no other shops I'd recommend (been to all of the shops in the OC), and could give you stories about almost each one of them (not all bad - most are neutral).
    but I'd hardly call Intense and Specialized house brands.
    I also think to get good service from a bike store whether it be big or small you have to be invest into it by being a loyal shopper, which I admit, I am not, most my purchases come from webcyclery.com, Jenson.com or Supergo, who ever's got it on sale.
    Also to anyone who sells out and finds themselves at the big bad Supergo make sure to check their online deals first and print out what you want, the stores will honor their web prices.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    Switchback Cyclery in Orange. Great mom & pop shop. Very competative pricing. Santa Cruz, Felt, Trek, Gary Fisher.
    mtnbikej
    I will second Switchback. Very responsive, great service - the kind of shop where it's fun just to hang around and chat.