Bike club riding Lower Merrill to Sunset on Sat.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,931

    Bike club riding Lower Merrill to Sunset on Sat.

    Any Pasadena - Altadena folks want to comment on their sanity?

  2. #2
    a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Reputation: mtnfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,750

    Maybe I Should Question My Own Sanity

    Why do you think we should question their sanity? Or because the trail will be jacked or because they will destroy the trails?

    I was planning on riding somewhere in the area this weekend. I haven't decided where to ride. I really wanted to come down Mt. Wilson to Newcome out Chantry. Not sure if I want to go up Mt. Lowe to Wilson or up Mt. Wilson Toll Road. I know the conditions will be interesting to say the least, but what the hell; it beats watching TV all weekend again. My one concern is destroying hiking trail. Not too concerned about messing up either fireroad. But the hiking trail in the Chantry area should be able to sustain careful riding, no? If one is conservative on the brakes they shouldn't do too much damage.

    Any one what to chime in?

  3. #3
    Ridin' in iRie meditation
    Reputation: TurnerFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Why do you think we should question their sanity? Or because the trail will be jacked or because they will destroy the trails?

    I was planning on riding somewhere in the area this weekend. I haven't decided where to ride. I really wanted to come down Mt. Wilson to Newcome out Chantry. Not sure if I want to go up Mt. Lowe to Wilson or up Mt. Wilson Toll Road. I know the conditions will be interesting to say the least, but what the hell; it beats watching TV all weekend again. My one concern is destroying hiking trail. Not too concerned about messing up either fireroad. But the hiking trail in the Chantry area should be able to sustain careful riding, no? If one is conservative on the brakes they shouldn't do too much damage.

    Any one what to chime in?
    I am also planning to ride in the area on Saturday morning, but don't really know where. I'm coming up from San Diego for a dinner later that night, and thought I could get some riding in early. Had planned to do Brown Mt. / El Prieto run, but read on another board this morning that EP is not in great condition. Any other suggestions?

    If any locals are getting together for a ride not too far from South Pasadena Saturday morning and wouldn't mind a rider from down south tagging along, let me know. Looking for a good XC/trail ride w/o too much heavy climbing - I haven't been able to get on a bike since before Christmas. The rain was brutal down our way, I'm sure you guys got much of the same.

    Thanks.

    TR

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    333

    Saturday Ride

    There will actually be three local clubs doing this saturday ride.
    Lower Merrils to inspiration point to middle merrils to sunset to el prieto-25 miles.

    North Ranch
    South Bay
    OTB

    I'll be doing this ride tomorrow morning at 7:30am to scout it out see how she's doing after all the pounding. It should be mostly dried out by now, the only questionable part being El Prieto. I'll let you know how its looking.


    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Why do you think we should question their sanity? Or because the trail will be jacked or because they will destroy the trails?

    I was planning on riding somewhere in the area this weekend. I haven't decided where to ride. I really wanted to come down Mt. Wilson to Newcome out Chantry. Not sure if I want to go up Mt. Lowe to Wilson or up Mt. Wilson Toll Road. I know the conditions will be interesting to say the least, but what the hell; it beats watching TV all weekend again. My one concern is destroying hiking trail. Not too concerned about messing up either fireroad. But the hiking trail in the Chantry area should be able to sustain careful riding, no? If one is conservative on the brakes they shouldn't do too much damage.

    Any one what to chime in?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,931
    Because in the best of times the trail was sliding away (pic) and the Sunset trail was already eroded. I'd like to hear from someone who's been there after the rain or tried to be there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    333

    One of my favorite loops

    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Because in the best of times the trail was sliding away (pic) and the Sunset trail was already eroded. I'd like to hear from someone who's been there after the rain or tried to be there.

    I've ridden there after rains without a problem. The trail is mostly decomposed granite which absorbs the rain well.

    "best of times the trail was sliding away" This trail is a great well established highly used hard pack trail with some sections that have been prone to erosion. It should be fast rollingI'll with the exception of a possible wash out. I'll give you a report after I've checked it tomorrow morning

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbski
    There will actually be three local clubs doing this saturday ride.
    Lower Merrils to inspiration point to middle merrils to sunset to el prieto-25 miles.

    North Ranch
    South Bay
    OTB

    I'll be doing this ride tomorrow morning at 7:30am to scout it out see how she's doing after all the pounding. It should be mostly dried out by now, the only questionable part being El Prieto. I'll let you know how its looking.
    Heres an email I recieved from Banner. He does alot of the trail maintenance on El P.

    Last night I rode down El Prieto Trail and about 15% of it was unrecognizeable, impassable or missing! The trail itself withstood the rain well thanks to past maintenance, but numerous landslides from above have completely buried the trail in several places, and in a few places the trail itself slid down the hill leaving a precarious cliff to cross. The flash floods coming down the creek rearranged things too.
    It's going to be a long time before El Prieto is fully rideable again. I will be organizing trail maintenance in coming months, and let me know if you are willing to help. Spread the word. But the truth is that you don't need to wait for me. All you need is a shovel. You don't even need trail maintenance know-how; just start digging out the first landslide you see - there are lots to choose from, top to bottom, big and small. We'll worry about things like water breaks or proper grading later. I have a few other things keeping me busy for the next few weeks, but with enough help, I'm hoping to have it all rideable again by summer.

    - - Banner

    So id say right now El P is a no do untill some work goes into it to prevent further damage. Ive worked with Banner on El P. digging drainage ditches and reinforcing many spots on the upper and middle part of the trail and I trust if he feels its bad...its probally pretty serious. Just my .02 cents.
    Last edited by IMALLSLO; 01-13-2005 at 08:40 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,931
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbski
    There will actually be three local clubs doing this saturday ride.
    Lower Merrils to inspiration point to middle merrils to sunset to el prieto-25 miles.

    North Ranch
    South Bay
    OTB

    I'll be doing this ride tomorrow morning at 7:30am to scout it out see how she's doing after all the pounding. It should be mostly dried out by now, the only questionable part being El Prieto. I'll let you know how its looking.
    TX, I'll be waiting for the post.

  9. #9
    a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Reputation: mtnfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,750

    Trail Work

    IMALLSLO,

    I would like to connect with Banner, do you have any contact information? I have some trail building/maintenance experience from my Boy Scout days and would like to help rebuild some of our trails. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by IMALLSLO
    Heres an email I recieved from Banner. He does alot of the trail maintenance on El P.

    Last night I rode down El Prieto Trail and about 15% of it was unrecognizeable, impassable or missing! The trail itself withstood the rain well thanks to past maintenance, but numerous landslides from above have completely buried the trail in several places, and in a few places the trail itself slid down the hill leaving a precarious cliff to cross. The flash floods coming down the creek rearranged things too.
    It's going to be a long time before El Prieto is fully rideable again. I will be organizing trail maintenance in coming months, and let me know if you are willing to help. Spread the word. But the truth is that you don't need to wait for me. All you need is a shovel. You don't even need trail maintenance know-how; just start digging out the first landslide you see - there are lots to choose from, top to bottom, big and small. We'll worry about things like water breaks or proper grading later. I have a few other things keeping me busy for the next few weeks, but with enough help, I'm hoping to have it all rideable again by summer.

    - - Banner

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    333

    Here ar the pics

    Jus a few of the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain bike jargon/ lingo
    By bstguitarist in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
  2. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
  3. Lance's Austin "29er" revealed
    By ncj01 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 08:14 PM
  4. Girlfriend new to riding and totally scared
    By some_guy282 in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 08:11 PM
  5. CCP Stories
    By General Coonskins in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 10:03 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.