Bicycle thieves in Socal Stealing hi end bikes, please see pics and repost- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bicycle thieves in Socal Stealing hi end bikes, please see pics and repost

Hello All, My name is John (Rusty) Redican, Iím a fellow cyclist and LAPD Officer. This reminder is not an official LAPD news blast, but me as a fellow cyclist and community member arming you with a little information to keep you and your property safe. Due to another salient event, where a fellow cyclist had his bicycles stolen out of his garage.

I need to advise you all about a ring of high end bicycle thieves that we (LAPD West LA Division) arrested a couple years back, who may or may not be at it again. That arrest was only made possible due to cooperation between the cycling community and the police. First off, be very cautious on what you post on social media, i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Strava and similar forms of tracking and communication we all use for our shared love of cycling.

A few years back, this ring of bike thieves, based out of south Los Angeles, were responsible for millions of dollars of bicycle thefts, from San Diego County to Ventura County. They would follow cyclists home from group rides, scour FaceBook and other social media for intel on cyclists and their homes, so they could conduct surveillance on you and break into your garage or storage areas to steal your bicycles. They would do this during the day mostly when no one was home, but also at night while you slept. At times they would cause damage to the garage, but most times they were very surreptitious about it and the only evidence left, was the absence of your property. The majority of the bikes they targeted were well worth (as you all know) the chance for them to get caught by the home owner. At the time, they used a very clean and newer model silver, 4 door Audi sedan with bike racks on it. The suspects in the cases Iím referring too were all male hispanics in their mid to lat 20ís - early thirties, between 5í6Ē and 5í9Ē, 175 lbs to 220 lbs, not climbers. Again, Iím not saying this is definitely them, but the MO used in the theft of bikes from one of our fellow cyclists in Torrence, last week is very similar.

So be advised and be cautious of what you put on social media, NEVER have the starting point to your ride be your residence, and be cautious on who you share your photos and information with. Also, you donít have to be paranoid, but be aware of your surroundings and if you notice a vehicle following you, or the same vehicle in 3 different locations, that may be a clue, and take not of the lic plate number, or any other distinguishing characteristics of the vehicle and occupant(s). Criminals are not dumb, and have evolved with the technology, so a little operational security will help you keep your property that you love, and work hard to obtain. If you see anything suspicious please be a good witness, donít physically get involved, as you never know what these criminals are armed with, but immediately call your local police department.

Anyway, I put this info out not to alarm, but to inform, for-warned is for-armed. Please share with your cycling teams and groups, or any cycling friends who may benefit from this information.

These are the suspects from 2012. This photo is from CBS Los Angeles. They were apparently seen today in Corona at Corona High checking out the mountain bike teams bikes and asking questions... They are now driving a black newer model Honda Accord....FYI...
    Ride Safe,
    Rusty Redican

Bicycle thieves in Socal Stealing hi end bikes, please see pics and repost-10419386_10205181369067688_4393730136821245486_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Dang! I know a lot of bikes were stolen from Java Depot here on PCH in SD. If you park your bike at a gas station or coffee shop and go in to use the restroom, when you come out the bike might be gone.

On groups rides, we always designate a person to hang out and watch things while others go inside.

It sucks that we have to do this, but if there is money in it, then there are criminals right around the corner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    When i drive home from work around 10pm, i actually put a cable chain and lock my bike to hooks in the bed of my pickup. I can just imagine some tweaker grab my bike off my tailgate pad and ride off with it at a stoplight.
    And while its in the garage i cable lock it to my brew sculpture so it would be pretty tough to steal both. And if they do decide to try to steal it out of my garage at night, I've got two dogs waiting for them as they sleep in the garage at night.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Thankfully, I was smart enough to buy (read: only afford) lower-end bikes (500-1k range)...so, I should be relatively safe...and the fact that they are not well-known brand names either helps! :-)

Same philosophy with my cars...nobody wants to steal them as they are always low-end "fix or repair daily.'

mtbr member
    I had my old Trek stolen in West LA; it was chained up in a garage and my apt complex even had a night security guard. They should make devices like in Knight Rider where if someone other than the owner tries to operate the bike, they get electrocuted.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Bike thieves, lowest of the low.

I hope the Cops catch them again.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Internet search for: zip tie garage door security.

mtbr member

Bicycle thieves in Socal Stealing hi end bikes, please see pics and repost-garage-door-main.jpg

Today weíre going to put out some important information about the inherent dangers of automatic garage door openers and how easily they can be bypassed. We hope that everyone takes this information to heart and spends just a few seconds to protect themselves and their property.

So what is the inherent danger? All automatic garage door openers legally require a safety release mechanism that is controlled by a grab handle. This is put into place so that if your automatic garage door opener is malfunctioning or traps someone beneath the door you can manually release and move it.
    How Thieves Enter

This safety release mechanism can be tripped from outside your garage door with nothing more than a coat hanger. By disengaging the safety release on your door, a thief can simply lift the door and gain access to your home.

While hopefully most of you lock the door from your garage to your house, most arenít built solid or have a deadbolt. Even still, once a thief has access to your garage they have plenty of time to lower your garage door and bypass the lock without being seen. This can be done with picks, or using the tools that most of us have in the garage against us.

As you can see in the video below, itís very easy to defeat an automatic garage door opener and break into a garage, especially when you have garage door windows that enable the thief to see exactly what theyíre doing. Even without windows the task is fairly easy and can be done just on feel and the fact that thieves know the mid-point of your garage is where the release cord is located.
    Methods to Protect Yourself

A few simple methods that can be used to protect yourself against this type of break-in take no more than a few minutes and are something hopefully everyone reading this will do tonight if youíve not done so already.

The method we recommend is using a zip-tie (or two), to lock the disengaging arm on the automatic opener. While this will prevent the bypass technique employed by thieves, the safety pull handle can still be yanked hard to break the zip ties in an emergency.
    Demonstration

Youíll also notice the other method is to completely wire the arm closed, but you loose the safety feature of the door and in our opinion itís much better to have this option available in an emergency situation.

Please share this article with your friends and family to warn them of the danger in leaving their garage door unprotected!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    It takes 6 seconds to open garage door

mtbr member
    Those guys look like sponsored cross country racers!

J:

Good job!

Thread of the year, thanks for posting perp photos too
    video=youtube;][/video]...

Beer whisperer
    I had my garage burglarized last week, they broke into my truck in the driveway and found my garage door opener. Alarm never went off on the house because they used my opener, all while we were inside sleeping. Don't leave an opener in your vehicle.
    www.noblealeworks.com

Pick a wheel size and be a dick about it

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    [QUOTE=pavlov0032;11795828]....Also, you donít have to be paranoid, but be aware of your surroundings and if you notice a vehicle following you, or the same vehicle in 3 different locations, that may be a clue, and take not of the lic plate number, or any other distinguishing characteristics of the vehicle and occupant(s). ..... but immediately call your local police department.

QUOTE]

When my last motorcycle was stolen here in San Diego, within half an hour I gave police a license plate number and a picture of the minivan that was used to steal my bike. Police did not do anything and they told me they will not do anything since I dont have the pictures of my motorcycle inside the minivan. And they had the nerve to send me the letter in a couple of month or so asking if I found my motorcycle or not. So if your bicycle is stolen, hope you have good insurance, police not gonna do anything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you have Strava, there are a few things you can do to protect your privacy. Set your profile to "Request to Follow" so random strangers can't see your rides and people must have your permission to follow you. This is especially important if you forget to start and stop your Garmin away from home. You don't want a thief tracking you to your front door! Enter your home and work addresses as privacy zones. Do not join any Strava clubs. If you are a member of a Strava club, people who are not your followers can see all your recent rides by looking at the recent activity in the club.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    May be some of you can see your stolen bike at this side https://www.facebook.com/groups/3709...62588/?fref=ts or Mercadolibre.com.mx

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If I read this correctly they were responsible for stealing millions of dollars worth of bikes in 2012 and were spotted today. Did they not get jail time and if so how is it possible they are out so soon given the total worth of what was stolen?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    As far as short prison sentences, the people of the state voted to make nonviolent crimes "legal", i.e. no jail time. Stealing a bike will go on your permanent record, but that's just about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    There is a street corner near me where I regularly see nice bikes with "For Sale" signs chained to a pole. They are there one at a time over a period of a week or two. They all use the same phone number? I reported this to the local police and gave my contact information in the event they wanted photos, etc. I never heard back.

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatirider2 View Post
    I had my garage burglarized last week, they broke into my truck in the driveway and found my garage door opener. Alarm never went off on the house because they used my opener, all while we were inside sleeping. Don't leave an opener in your vehicle.
    This has always crossed my mind. Easiest way to get in the garage/house.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    That burglar is brave! While you were sleeping is risky.
    my bro in law is a sheriff and he said what most burglars will do is break into a car and steal the garage door opener and the cars registration. They just keep the registration and garage door opener in a baggy (so they know the address for each garage door opener) and then they start profiling houses on which they have openers to. crazy stuff.

mtbr member
    Thank you officer Redican, for the information and great safety tips.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    That burglar is brave! While you were sleeping is risky.
    my bro in law is a sheriff and he said what most burglars will do is break into a car and steal the garage door opener and the cars registration. They just keep the registration and garage door opener in a baggy (so they know the address for each garage door opener) and then they start profiling houses on which they have openers to. crazy stuff.
    This is why I keep my registration and proof of insurance on me, not in my truck. In fact I don't keep anything with my name and address in the vehicle. As far as garage door openers, I don't have a garage so no worries there. If I did I wouldn't keep the opener in the truck either.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

most memberable
    May 2011
    Remember: If you're going to push preparedness...it's a fine line to cross to achieve paranoia!

Meaning, might as well go whole hog...don't own a car/truck, don't own a bike, don't own an abode with a garage...stay inside all day locks on all windows/doors, etc....never go out....that way it's just easier to avoid any and all scenarios above...who is with me?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Paranoia

Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Remember: If you're going to push preparedness...it's a fine line to cross to achieve paranoia!

Meaning, might as well go whole hog...don't own a car/truck, don't own a bike, don't own an abode with a garage...stay inside all day locks on all windows/doors, etc....never go out....that way it's just easier to avoid any and all scenarios above...who is with me?
    I agree there's a bit of paranoia going around....people keep posting these guy's mug shots on facebook....I've had two mountain bikes stolen from me since I started this sport and I mourned my bikes for a few days, did without for a while, and when I had the $$$ I simply replaced them and kept on riding.

And I'll be careful with my bikes, but if someone wants to steal them badly enough heck there's only so much you can do........

I have buddies in Mexico and Central America and they have to worry about armed thiefs with guns and machetes while riding out in the hills....let's hope we never get to that here in the states.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I had my garage burglarized last week, they broke into my truck in the driveway and found my garage door opener. Alarm never went off on the house because they used my opener, all while we were inside sleeping.Don't leave an opener in your vehicle.
    Outside of your house.
    I'm surprised they just didn't take the code from the opener then return it back to your vehicle, with you none the wiser. Then come back when you weren't home and clean you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Outside of your house.
    I'm surprised they just didn't take the code from the opener then return it back to your vehicle, with you none the wiser. Then come back when you weren't home and clean you out.
    how is this done?

mtbr member
    Thanks to Prop 47 we can expect an increase in property crimes:

The measure requires misdemeanor sentencing instead of felony for the following crimes:
    -Grand theft, where the value of the stolen property does not exceed $950

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gzank6 View Post
    how is this done?
    Old style Garage Door Opener remotes had a physical dip switch inside them that you matched up to the opener.

More modern ones use a special syncing method so this cannot be done as easily.

However there are other tools available to the nefarious that will send out all sorts of signals until it finds one to open you garage door.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

how is this done?
    Pretty simple. Just open the door remote and write down the code that it's set at. I think most newer garage doors this can't be done but the older ones it's easy to do.

Edit: I didn't see klurejr already answered this question.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the post and the reminder. I really need to do the garage door thingy.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Econoline View Post
    Thanks to Prop 47 we can expect an increase in property crimes:

The measure requires misdemeanor sentencing instead of felony for the following crimes:
    -Grand theft, where the value of the stolen property does not exceed $950
    Regardless of what your bike is worth, once it is used,it depreciates and will be valued at less than $950 ... so that the thief, if he is caught, gets a stern warning.

How did you vote on proposition 47?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Regardless of what your bike is worth, once it is used,it depreciates and will be valued at less than $950 ... so that the thief, if he is caught, gets a stern warning.

How did you vote on proposition 47?
    When my wife's $3k Rumor was stolen last year while we were evacuated during the North County fires, we were told if the thief was caught it would be grand theft and looting, automatic jail time. Unfortunately the thief was never caught.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    When my wife's $3k Rumor was stolen last year while we were evacuated during the North County fires, we were told if the thief was caught it would be grand theft and looting, automatic jail time. Unfortunately the thief was never caught.
    When I was evacuated out of Rancho Bernardo due to the fires guess what went with me to the hotel room beachfront in Oceanside. My beloved bike, trust me my GF wasn't too happy with me.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    When I was evacuated out of Rancho Bernardo due to the fires guess what went with me to the hotel room beachfront in Oceanside. My beloved bike, trust me my GF wasn't too happy with me.
    Contrary to popular belief....it is a man's best friend!

mtbr member
    What is, a bike or a GF?
    Greg

2014 Haro FLC 29 Comp
    2009 Red Line MX-24
    1980 Red Line Pro-Line old-school cool :cool:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 80Pro-Line View Post
    What is, a bike or a GF?
    A bike is something that you spend a lot of money on, take very good care of and keep in the house where it is warm and safe from thieves. A GF is something that you ride extremely hard on a daily basis and put away wet in the garage, till its time for the next ride.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    These guys check strava to find peoples homes after their rides. Strava has a privacy setting that lets you hide certain addressed like your home or work. I suggest we all make use of this feature!

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmrgomez View Post
    These guys check strava to find peoples homes after their rides. Strava has a privacy setting that lets you hide certain addressed like your home or work. I suggest we all make use of this feature!
    Yes, for sure. Same with Garmin or any other similar system.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Probably a little off topic, but someone jacked my 09 Giant Brass SX Friday the 6th that was locked up in our carport, gated entry to apartment complex also (Gardena). They cut through a 3/4" cable to get it. What a crap feeling!

Anywho, filed a report and am searching craigslist, even though I dont expect to see it there. Ill be writing it off and replacing with a Trance in the next few months.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 80Pro-Line View Post
    What is, a bike or a GF?
    If you have to ask...your bike should divorce you! ;-)

mtbr member
    Bicycle thieves in Socal Stealing hi end bikes, please see pics and repost-thief.jpg

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlov0032 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thief.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	972366
    WOW!!! Excellent!!!

J:
    Pinned w/ grand theft?? NICE!
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Under Proposition 47 he will be released within a day or TW with a stern warning not to get caught again.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Under Proposition 47 he will be released within a day or TW with a stern warning not to get caught again.
    So, if I kidnap these bike thieves and keep them locked up out in the sun inside a heavy duty dog cage and throw them a piece of bread and one glass of water daily, would the authorities release me within a day of being discovered with a stern warning since it would be my first offense?
    Last edited by Hawgzilla; 03-13-2015 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Kidnapping has not been reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor. But because the state sends prisoners to the cities and because of overcrowding and early release, you'll probably be out in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Thank you for posting this...i need to fix my garage door, very scary
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Capture them.. take them to one helluva downhill... duct tape their hands and feet to a bike and give them a gentle push and wish them good luck.

CEB
    Who's riding today?
    Capture them.. take them to one helluva downhill... duct tape their hands and feet to a bike and give them a gentle push and wish them good luck.
    Without a saddle, just a seatpost. THAT would work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Without a saddle, just a seatpost. THAT would work.
    A studded seatpost, with no seatpost lube, haha!

mtbr member
    Carlsbad cops just busted some people with 35. stolen bikes. Mark one up for law enforcement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    Carlsbad cops just busted some people with 35. stolen bikes. Mark one up for law enforcement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Had a tallboy stolen in sd 6 months ago. Where did you here about the Carlsbad ring? Long shot, but Id like to see if my bike is in their filthy possession.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by av8trinabarrel View Post
    Had a tallboy stolen in sd 6 months ago. Where did you here about the Carlsbad ring? Long shot, but Id like to see if my bike is in their filthy possession.
    There's a contact number in the article for Cbad police

Carlsbad police discover stockpile of stolen bicycles - Seaside Courier: News

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    There's a contact number in the article for Cbad police

Carlsbad police discover stockpile of stolen bicycles - Seaside Courier: News
    Thx for the info. I sent a message to officer Thomas with CPD. She said they have been overwhelmed with calls so it may be this week before anything is heard.

A buddy had 5 bikes ripped off from his mission valley apartment last week. Brand new prized full custom Norco included. At a loss for words anymore with criminals. They will be shot at my house. Come on in!!!