Best resource for Trail reports and recon info- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Best resource for Trail reports and recon info

Hey guys. Heading to LA (Staying in Northridge area) for a 7 day trip to ride the first week of March and interested in the best way to get intel on trails, particularly around the Thousand Oaks/Pasadena area.

I have been looking on Trailforks and used it last year on our trip where we rode around Laguna, Cleveland NF and area and didn't find the trails to be as much singletrack as we had hoped so not sure what to expect for north LA.

The trails north of LA look better around Malibu and Pasadena on Trailforks but am a little skeptical about looping some together by just using Trailforks. Looking to ride around 20 miles/30km day, preferably loops with fun downs.

Willing to offer up post ride beers for group rides or if someone could point me to some good shops to inquire in or other websites/apps that offer good info.

TIA guys.
    Last edited by Gunnar-man; 02-14-2019 at 12:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    In Pasadena area, I think a lot of people will mention shuttling Mt. Wilson as a good option. That will definitely fill your rowdy single track fix. MTBProject also lists a loop option: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/703...on-enduro-loop. Also, in general, I think MTBProject is a better resource for finding loops instead of just isolated segments.

In Thousand Oaks, I'd pop into the Worldwide Cyclery shop. They probably know the trails around there better than anyone and what was affected by recent fires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Perfect. Thanks yagr.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Trailforks has lots of user created routes as well, almost 10k. Pretty much that same route mentioned above is here.

But a user created route is just one persons opinion of a good ride and it may be outdated or not the type of ride I like. I prefer to look at the trail data and ridelog data on Trailforks, which is always getting updated. Our popularity layer shows the most popular trails in the region within the last 6 months. So if a trail or route is no longer used, closed, or just sucks, it would probably be reflected here. I can then look at millons of ridelogs to figure out a good route or create my own.

Best resource for Trail reports and recon info-annotation-2019-02-14-190955.jpg

I then find a specific trail i'm interested in riding and look for routes or ridelogs that contain that trail.

For that Mt. Wilson trail the popularity is low (green), not ridden much. Also there are 2 non positive trail reviews on the trail detail page.

But if you're shuttling it, then why not! Wayne rode it and had fun, looks like fun in his video.
    https://www.trailforks.com/video/23738/

I also like to use the "Ride Finder" tool to visually look at routes and users rides in the area, maybe with the above mentioned popularity layer enabled. Usually I limit the distance to a range I'm interested in pedaling for the ride.

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/finder/

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the replies everyone. A good amount of information.

Now hopefully, the rains will cease before the beginning of March

mtbr member
    Hi Gunnar,
    if you are staying in Northridge you have excellent riding closer then Pasadena and Thousand Oaks.
    if you like to ride gnar you have Simi 10min away, and for trail riding or a good mix you have Santa Monica mountains 15min away.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So if you want to put a bit more effort in, here's what I do when exploring a new area.

1. Go to Strava segment explore and find what you know to be a popular segment in that area... say the Mt. Wilson downhill.
    2. Click on the segment filter by the fastest guys that have rode it this month.
    3. Click on the date of that ride to see the entire route they took.
    4. Download gpx and load into bike computer or phone app. (Just google for a chrome add on, it's super simple)

At that this point, you more or less have turn by turn directions from recent rides done by fast guys on popular segments. I've found it far more useful than Trailforks or MTBproject but YMMV.

Edit - Just checked out some of the ridelog stuff in Trailforks, I wasn't aware that existed. Pretty cool stuff and simpler than mucking with strava and exporting

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just explored the features mentioned by CanadaKa in Trailforks...wow...I obviously have been oblivious to what that app can do.

Waaaay more options and info that I have ever explored.