mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Best 20+ mile climbing rides in LA/SD area?

So far Iíve ridden up to potato mountain and enjoyed that, what else should I check out? Iím new to the area. Also did black star which was decent but there were kind of a lot of hikers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Up lower San Juan Trail head to the Blue Jay camping grounds then back down.

mtbr member
    Noble Canyon, Nate Harrison Grade, etc in SD. What exactly are you looking for? 10 miles of continuous climbing or just rides with a lot of climbing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
    So far Iíve ridden up to potato mountain and enjoyed that, what else should I check out? Iím new to the area. Also did black star which was decent but there were kind of a lot of hikers.
    Best of what? You should elaborate on exactly what you're looking for as what I might consider best might be a horrible experience for another.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Sorry I donít know specifically what Iím after, Iím new to mountain biking and new to the area so I want to experience some good - longer rides. Iím a road cyclist mainly so Iíd prefer not super technically challenging or rough trails, but I enjoy good elevation gain to keep things interesting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
    Sorry I donít know specifically what Iím after, Iím new to mountain biking and new to the area so I want to experience some good - longer rides. Iím a road cyclist mainly so Iíd prefer not super technically challenging or rough trails, but I enjoy good elevation gain to keep things interesting.
    SART, SJT, mt.pinos, GMR, sta monica trails, fireroad in aliso and lagunA. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Cuyamacas to Lagunas ( UP Indian Creek) and back in east county San Diego. That should sooth your "I wanna ride long and hard" urge.

One ring to mash them all
    ^What CEB said, although you may find Indian Creek somewhat chunky. Cuyamaca-Noble Loop

Others in San Diego:

Cuyamaca Grand Loop (can do close to 30 miles with some options not shown in this article)

Oriflamme Loop (not quite 20 miles but you could work in some of the Cuyamaca route above to make up for it)

Otay Mountain Loop (over 30 miles and almost 4kft climbing but most of that is in the 8 mile climb up the mountain)

Black Mountain - Ramona (the "other" Black Mountain)

Nate Harrison Grade (out & back with 11 miles of climbing hell)
    ITMFA

SS Pusher Man
    LA to SD is a very big area....upwards of 4 hr commutes. Might wanna marrow done your search a little bit.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Mt. Wilson Toll Road
    Harding Truck Trail *
    Silverado Motorway*

*take them both to Santiago Peak

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone I appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Right in San Diego, there is a ride from the Sorrento Valley end of LPQ, up to Del Mar Mesa, Down the Tunnel#4, and up and over to Black Mountain trails system, and then back. Plenty of climbing in the coastal region.

mtbr member
    I think you would really like this loop, which is fireroad and pavement. You're basically looping Sawpit Canyon AKA Monrovia Canyon Road, Upper Clamshell Truck Trail, Redbox-Rincon Road, and San Gabriel Canyon (HWY 39). Last time I rode it, I ended up with 38 miles and 5,500 feet of climbing total, but that included a short add-on out-and-back to Pine Mountain which adds about 1.6 miles/400 ft.

You can start at Encanto Park in the Irwindale/Azusa area. Take Royal Oaks Drive westbound, which has some bike path. Go right onto Bradbury Road, and then left onto Lemon Avenue. Before reaching Mountain Avenue, go right onto the bike/foot path that parallels the drainage coming out of Monrovia Canyon. Head north on the path until it runs into Canyon Blvd, which will take you into Monrovia Canyon Park. Climb Sawpit Canyon to White Saddle, go left onto Upper Clamshell Truck Trail and climb that to Red Box-Rincon Road. Go right and take Red Box-Rincon Road out to San Gabriel Canyon (Hwy 39). Go right onto Hwy 39 and take it back down into Azusa. Hop onto the San Gabriel River Bike Path for a bit, and then take a right onto the bridge that takes you back to Encanto Park.

Link here, but I think it will only work if you have a Strava account and are logged in:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1482301402
    Last edited by JimN; 1 Week Ago at 09:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Here is a good ride for you at 28 miles and 4.5K. It can easily be stretched to 6K if you loop in La Costa and the top of Double Peak

https://www.strava.com/activities/2042941004

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I haven't done it, but there is a great ride with plenty of climbing starting at JPL. Head up the Gabrielano trail to the strawberry peak loop, and then back down Gabrielano trail. Alot of pretty epic riding on that route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mographer View Post
    I haven't done it, but there is a great ride with plenty of climbing starting at JPL. Head up the Gabrielano trail to the strawberry peak loop, and then back down Gabrielano trail. Alot of pretty epic riding on that route.
    That's a heck of a route! Approximately 40 miles with around 8,000 feet of climbing. Includes some extremely technical and exposed sections, particularly on the Gabrielino Trail between Paul Little Campground and Switzer's Picnic Area. Not what the OP is looking for, but a good suggestion for highly experienced mountain bikers looking to do a San Gab singletrack epic. Catch it late winter/very early spring before the poison oak really starts taking off.

mtbr member
    Assuming the OP is in Riverside based on his profile, here are some lesser known fire road type rides closer to Riverside. These offer nice views and scenery.

- High Point Truck Trail in Aguanga near 79/371 intersection (fire road climb to fire lookout on Palomar Mtn)
    - Black Mtn Truck Trail / Forest Rte 4S01 off the 243 near Idyllwild (fire road climb to Black Mtn fire lookout, continue on to Fuller Ridge / PCT Trailhead for some amazing desert views)
    - Santa Rosa Truck Trail / Forest Rte 7S02 off 74 near Pinyon Pines (above Palm Springs) (fire road to peak(s), optional Sawmill singletrack to 7S01 down)
    - Polique Canyon Rd to 2N71 to Fawnskin or Hanna Flat trails and Grays Peak. This is in the Big Bear area north of the lake by Serrano Campground.
    - Bautista Rd (dirt starts at Conservation Camp) to Tripp Flats Rd to Forest Rte 7S04 to 6S22 to 2E43 to Red Mtn fire lookout (fire road to peak, optional Hixon trail singletrack down to Bautista Cyn Rd). This is near Hemet.
    - As someone else mentioned, SART...from Loch Leven.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Wow, thanks everyone there are lots of rides to look into here! Appreciate all the info and detailed directions / strava links. I need to start coming up with a plan on where to go now.

mtbr member
    Ojai area Ortega trail is chunk to Chorro Grande summit to Pine mtn

mtbr member
    Get a season pass at skypark and just bike all around the park lol. thats above 6k feet and miles rack up quick.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Mt. Wilson Toll Road
    Harding Truck Trail *
    Silverado Motorway*

*take them both to Santiago Peak
    The counting Coup loop: Black star up to Motorway down. Up Maple Springs to Santiago Peak,and finally down upper and Lower Holy Jim. 40 miles total. +or- 9000ft climb.
    You can take Harding trail down instead of Holy Jim. Less technical.