Beach Cruisin' Noble Style- Mtbr.com
    Negative Rep Points!!!!

Beach Cruisin' Noble Style

So, I have an issue with the Huff-Spot. It's not looking like I'll be riding that bike ever again. And after eating tons of crap and being lazy over Thanksgiving, I'm really needing a ride ....and bad!

With the prospect of not being able to ride for an indefinite period of time, depression is starting to sink in. One way or another, I need....I crave to be in the mountains today . I go out in the garage and "Bingo", the lightbulb goes off. There, hanging from the ceiling is my trusty, pimped out, KHS Fleetwood Beach Cruiser.

The KHS sports a Nexus 9 speed hub, road tires, and a funky cockpit arrangement. But, I'm thinking that if I can cruise it up Pine Creek road, and somehow make it up to Penny Pines, I can then take Sunrise highway back down to Pine Valley(all road).

I swapped out the flats for my time pedals(I'm going to need all the torque I can muster). The gearing on this dog, is quite tall. Even in 1st this is still going to be ugly. That front ring is a 42 and the rear cog is an 18. I'm not sure what the internal gearing in that Nexus hub comes out to, but let's call it a 1.9 to 1 ratio. 175mm cranks.

I get to the trail head early and gear up. No one is in the lot to witness my foolishness. And off I go. The first part of Pine Creek road isn't so bad with it's gentle, rolling climbs. Hey, I'm not even out of the saddle. But about halfway up, things turn ugly. I hate this %$#@& climb, even in my granny, on my squish bike.

So, now I'm out of the saddle, giving it full power, swaying side to side, working my upper body, like I've seen the single speeders do. And surprisingly, it's not hurting me all that badly. I had to stop about 5 times before finally reaching the big oak tree. But, man did it feel awesome to be out on the mountain, pedaling. After a brief rest, I continued on up. Now I'm into the second stint, and I'm starting to really understand this SS thing. I'm cooking pretty well, and still no real protest from the knees!

I finally made it to the point where the Noble Canyon trail intersects Pine Creek road. I stop again to rest and munch on a Clif bar.

Then, things got really crazy. I looked over at the single track and I swear it was calling my name. It was as if it was beckoning for me to come ride it. "But, but, I can't...I'm on this damn beachcruiser". "There's no way it will make it". The next thing I knew I was clipped in and climbing up the single track. I was suprised at how I was getting any traction at all with these skinny road tires pumped up to 60 lbs.

Eventually, I made it to Penny Pines, 5,600 feet up and 12 miles later. I watered up at the well. There were 4 guys on full squish XC bikes. They were in total disbelief when I told them were I had started from.

As I mentioned, my original plan was to take sunrise highway back down to Pine Valley. However, after, my taste of single track, I knew there was no more road riding for me today. Throwing caution to the wind, I started grinding away at the first few climbs on upper Noble. By now, I'm actually starting to dig this SS thing. I caught the gearies and I think they about crapped their lycra when they heard "on your left", and some nutcase with a beachcruiser flys by. CLASSIC!!!

I had a riot descending Noble! The conditions were awesome after last nights rain. Things did get somewhat hairy once I hit the rock sections. But, I had the common sense to get off and walk the chunky stuff. I did ride a good portion of Barney Rubble, and the section leading into Stairway to Hell.

Now, I'm at the bailout. But, I can't stop now, so I climbed up "Whore" and then had one last fling riding down Extra Credit.

When I reached the lower lot, I was totally cracking up. It may have been an incredibly stupid thing to tempt fate like that. But, I really, really needed to get my Noble fix, one way or another, today.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 11-29-2004 at 08:18 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Jen Green
    May 2004
    Steve....that is hilarious. Is a single speed rig in your future???

Over the Hill
    Why is the Spot down?

mtbr member

Everybody

In SoCal is talking about what Steve did to his beautiful "Huffy".It's a bad one.

Great story, Steve.I would have loved to seen those guys as you passed them.

Put some meats on there if you do that again.I've seen more then one cruiser out on the trails,but they weren't passing anybody.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Why is the Spot down?

I think I may have cracked my frame.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Nice

I can't say that I'd want to descend all of Noble on a crusier either, but at least you got a taste for what it's like on a HT! makes you pay a bit more attention to where you're going.

Are you getting another 5-spot on warranty or crash replacement or are you looking at other options?

YR

mtbr member
    I first rode down Noble Canyon in 1990 on a ridged frame and fork, but that was then, and now thank god for long travel full suspensions bikes.

mtbr member
    It has been years since I rode Nobel on a rigid bike. Luckily my 5-Spot handled Nobel Canyon better than yours did on my ride there two weeks ago.

mtbr member

Good job!

That IS a sweet cruiser, and it's still pretty insane that you rode sections of Barney Rubble on it... Now go back and do it with a coaster brake like REAL cruisers have... As I was reading, I just knew this story wasn't going to cover a ride down the pavement.

You are ready for SS. Do you want to borrow my Manitou HT-ss for a run? It's geared at 34/18, has a full pair of those outdated brakes on the front of your cruiser and 180mm cranks. Oh, and a Manitou Black coil fork....crucial detail. Since it was designed for a 70mm fork, the geometry is only slightly less/more wacky than a beach cruiser has.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    LOL! Thanks for the post!

It deserves to be seen by a bigger audience, I'll cross post it over on Passion.

mtbr member
    I've got one of those KHS cruisers.

Mine has a rear der with a 7 speed cassette. I was able to fit a 2.4 Mutano on the front and back. Very dirt worthy frames.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Where's my %$#($& Granny Gear?????

Damn.......I knew I should have put some gears on this thing!!!!

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Damn.......I knew I should have put some gears on this thing!!!!

That's much better than...

"Ouch, my shoulder...I knew I should have put a rear brake on this thing!!!!"

Negative Rep Points!!!!

That's the brakes. (X Post Brakes)

So, the FrankenCruiser finally has a rear brake. Here's the mount that I've fabricated. It mounts to the dropout's fender mounts. It's still a work in progress. I plan on drilling out the lower mounts and going with oversize bolts. Also, I may double up the aluminum plate for added rigidity. Or, just fabricate it out of steel.

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Hey that cruiser is looking nice.

Post some shots of the whole thing.

This makes me want to build up my KHS cruiser frame in the attic.

mtbr member

Good job!

So, the FrankenCruiser finally has a rear brake. Here's the mount that I've fabricated. It mounts to the dropout's fender mounts. It's still a work in progress. I plan on drilling out the lower mounts and going with oversize bolts. Also, I may double up the aluminum plate for added rigidity. Or, just fabricate it out of steel.

What do you think?
    The color is too plain and it has no logo!

It it stiff enough? Which aluminum is that plate?

mtbr member
    1940' S frame design with 1980's metal material hooks up with early twentyfirst century parts. You just need a front wire basket to increase the utility factor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdbike
    1940' S frame design with 1980's metal material hooks up with early twentyfirst century parts. You just need a front wire basket to increase the utility factor.
    That cruiser is beginning to look like a Retrotec...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    looks like a good bike for Vision Quest

Derailleurs owned: 0
    Mind if I borrow your idea?
    My Trek Clyde cruiser has Nexus 7-speed coaster, 700/44 Mutano rear, 29x2.1 Nano in Bianchi D.I.S.S. fork...

I can donate a bunch of 1/4" aluminum plate.
    If you post a drawing with dimensions, I could make a dozen of those next week.

What do you think?