Are you still going to ride during "Shelter In Place"?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Are you still going to ride during "Shelter In Place"?

So who all are still going to ride during the shelter in place? From what I have read, we can still go out and exercise as long as we keep our social distancing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Definitely riding but maintaining 6 feet social distance. Rangers enforcing no social gathering in parking lots.

mtbr member
    Absolutely. Trails are getting crowded though.

Riding road into the office and dirt the way home, and I've never seen more people on the trail - even on a holiday weekend - than yesterday afternoon.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Yesterday, I rode the Los Gatos Creek trail with the family. There were about 500-1000 people out (along 8 miles of it) and all playgrounds were closed.

It was an amazing experience for my crew, especially as we got out farther. We'll do it more but we'll venture out to more remote places like Calero, Harvey Bear. Mild, but not crowded places.

We might hit a stage of quarantine or lockdown so maybe now is the time.

Name:  B25DD68D-998F-409B-9A9C-882A6062D0AA.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  21.8 KB
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Without a doubt!

Creeper
    Dec 2004
    Does anyone here also ride on the road? Has anyone run into any angry drivers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esun127 View Post
    I highly prefer MTB over road riding, but have found the roads to be much better these days. Traffic is minimal, and when I was out the other day, saw very few cyclists. On the other hand, it seems like families taking walks, dog walkers, and other folks are quite a bit more prevalent at all hours of the day, because people don't want to be cooped up too much in their homes.

I have not run into any angry drivers out there, people seem to be courteous overall, though folks tend to speed more with no traffic/open roads.

mtbr member
    Plenty of room at Henry Coe Hunting Hollow! You can have all the space you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If anything more people are out in Marin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yesterday, I rode the Los Gatos Creek trail with the family. There were about 500-1000 people out (along 8 miles of it) and all playgrounds were closed.

It was an amazing experience for my crew, especially as we got out farther. We'll do it more but we'll venture out to more remote places like Calero, Harvey Bear. Mild, but not crowded places.

We might hit a stage of quarantine or lockdown so maybe now is the time.

Name:  B25DD68D-998F-409B-9A9C-882A6062D0AA.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  21.8 KB
    Calero will be crowded.
    Montana del Oro on the backside usually has far less people in my experience.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    If anything more people are out in Marin.
    Probably because they are 'working from home'

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I was hoping that with the lock down trails would be empty. Sounds like they are more crowded. I will either be at Auburn or Salmon Falls tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nah.

I'm probably the 2nd least injury-prone cyclist I know and I am absolutely terrified of getting injured right now. Docs are already refusing elective procedures including fractures and tears. The last thing I want is for me to be laying completely f-ed up on a hospital bed while there are Disneyland lines for ventilators... or maybe I'm the one waiting to get that precious oxygen to my lungs.

Yeah maybe this is a little extreme. Maybe I am paranoid. I'm okay with that considering I am riding the trainer daily, lifting weights, and doing tons of housework. My fitness has gone way up since this thing started. Fresh air is a luxury.

I might go out for a run or a super chill road ride this weekend just to see the world in a less polluted state.

Autonomous
    Yep. Just got home from a quick ride.
    Rode from home up to Sierra Vista via Alum Rock Park. Sooooo many folks out youíd thought they were giving away TP & hand sanitizer. Walkers, joggers, runners, kids, seniors, hikers, bikers and Methodists!

mtbr member
    I did a road ride at lunch today out through New Almaden and by the reservoir. Quicksilver parking lot was packed full which was strange for a Friday noon... and then as I rode up the last little climb to the reservoir a simple minded mountain **** screamed out his car window as he drove by "GET OFF THE ROAD"!

I so wanted to flip him off but my better sense kicked in knowing this probably isn't the best time to get into a verbal, or worse, physical altercation with some idiot that is probably too stupid to read and comprehend the order.

Any local (not Coe) trails I've been on have been packed with people, many obviously not knowing or caring what 6 feet is... and the roads have been fantastic with very few cars. For me it's kind of a strange time where road riding can be less stressful than mountain.

mtbr member
    I rode the trails this morning and just did a 14 mile cruiser bike ride with the wife just now. Pollen is thick in the air now but it beats being trapped inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm riding dirt and a little road, but today we hiked from the Gap down Skyline to Sea. I don't know if they were angry, but there were a LOT of dudes playing Speed Racer on Hwy 9 in their Gucci cars.

And watch out for amateur hikers. Ran into two teen girls that had their dogs (not allowed) running ahead of them (dragging their leashes). I was focused on the pit bull, but his little buddy that was trailing came up and bit me. Nothing terrible, but some little punctures. Back at the Gap we saw a couple on their mountain bikes dropping in to the Skyline to Sea trail. For one thing, it's hiking only, but more importantly it didn't even look very fun for riding (most of it is ADA compliant)--especially the climb back out. #whatever

One of the dogs was named Jasmine, so if you happen to know those girls tell 'em that nobody makes me bleed my own blood.

Nobody.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong."

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cragnshag View Post
    Plenty of room at Henry Coe Hunting Hollow! You can have all the space you want.
    Are the patrolling out at coe?

mtbr member
    Just got back from a road ride through the hills of Los Gatos/Saratoga and it was great. A few cyclists, lots of dog walkers, hardly any cars. So little traffic on normally busy Los Gatos-Saratoga Road that I paused in the middle to do a double take. This seems like a great time to be out on a road bike.

mtbr member
    You make a point I had not thought about cause I never wanna think about crashing. I am too old for anything but a slow speed trip to the ground. Something to think about...

mtbr member
    Keeping 6ft. away from riders on a climb has never been an issue for me. :-(

Trail Gnome
    Jan 2011
    I rode today, not sure if Iíll ride unless itís raining...waaay too many people out

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    20 today, who knows how much ill get away with, i have a trail in backyard that gives over 30 miles of different loops. pretty crowded

the half breed devil
    golden gate park is and will be an almost-insufferable zoo for the duration of this thing and beyond.

the trails are in nice shape, though. the Giant Sand Pits are all packed down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    hoping to get out and ride but based on a couple of "post working from home" rides this week in SF, it seems the whole city has rediscovered their bike, skateboard, love of trails, etc so not sure if anything nearby will afford some social distancing. But... maybe best to get out anyway as we're definitely heading towards lockdown as this thing wears on and people continue to not adhere to the spirit of it. i've been seeing way too many large groups on the trails and roads.

mtbr member
    The American River in the gloaming.
    Are you still going to ride during "Shelter In Place"?-adjustments.jpg

51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Instagram: _parkmeister

singletrack bound
    Hell yeah!!
    Get it now!
    3 hrs and all the stress was gone.....completely forgot about the situation at hand and was smiling the whole time!!
    recommended.

Ride On!
    Went riding today at Hidden Falls in Auburn, trails were not that crowded and the dirt was close to epic. Everyone was in a good mood and mostly in groups of 2 or 3 people. When I arrived this morning the parking lot was pretty full and folks were waiting for others to leave when I left around 3:30 pm. From what I gather on their twitter feed they are not doing the reservations this weekend, so if your inclined to head that way, make it early.

Spin-stabilized
    All you folks from southern Lake county, Solano, Yolo, eastern Napa and Sac counties, there's tons of deserted trails in the Cache Creek area/northern end of Blue Ridge. Just avoid it when it's wet or you'll encounter the worst mud you'll ever see.

Trails for days--> http://tuleyome.org/trails/
    http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e7593b8...%20%282%29.pdf

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I rode today, day one of shelter-in-place.
    Want to get in what I can before we lose the ability.

I've ridden here with a riding friend on plenty of Friday's before it's too late, but early for a work day (3-4:00). today I started around 3:30 and I made vehicle #10 when there may be one at that time of day.
    A couple of the vehicles were doubled up people. And I encountered a group of 4 elderly hikers, of all things!
    I went here because I assumed the other place would be jammed packed. One place has been busy on Friday's lately so I avoided it.

Not sure how I feel about it. Nothing has changed from day to day, but it's been over a week since I've ridden and now it feels weird to be around others that are exhaling!
    I encounter one man, then a couple, descending the hill I was climbing.
    I passed a couple (I know here but has a new boyfriend (or whatever) who just got off a plane a few days ago) knudling off the side of the trail.
    Then near the end I encountered the hikers.

I heard from a road biker (riding the paved trails) that the parking lot was packed. Proportionally, you can only fit 8-10 vehicles in that lot before they have to park in a creative manner.
    If the trails become more busy than I feel comfortable with I may not go, or have to pick other times to go. I am working at home but have a flexible enough schedule (at times) to allow me to bail at random times.
    Need to get some miles in this weekend though as rain is coming back in a couple days, for a couple days.

I don't think we'll have this level of freedom for long.
    Our local news reported that local officials stated no plans for shelters in my county being considered at this time. Later in the news cast they switch to the Governors live conference where in a single breath and a smile on his face he said that the state of California is under order of a Shelter-in-Place situation. It happened so casually that I didn't know if it was real or a topic to discuss. Yep, it was real and effective that evening.
    Ya'll from California probably saw the same thing.
    This situation is very dynamic and no use in getting used to anything in particular as it may change before you know it.

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    Keeping 6ft. away from riders on a climb has never been an issue for me. :-(
    Hah. The worst part about me being mostly slow is that I'm just barely able to suck wind at the back of a group. Not great for trying to avoid catching beer flu.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Nah.

I'm probably the 2nd least injury-prone cyclist I know and I am absolutely terrified of getting injured right now. Docs are already refusing elective procedures including fractures and tears. The last thing I want is for me to be laying completely f-ed up on a hospital bed while there are Disneyland lines for ventilators... or maybe I'm the one waiting to get that precious oxygen to my lungs.

Yeah maybe this is a little extreme. Maybe I am paranoid. I'm okay with that considering I am riding the trainer daily, lifting weights, and doing tons of housework. My fitness has gone way up since this thing started. Fresh air is a luxury.

I might go out for a run or a super chill road ride this weekend just to see the world in a less polluted state.
    I've started doing the same. The last thing I need is to visit the local ER.

jrm
    mtbr member
    yup. its the only way to obtain sanity...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    All you folks from southern Lake county, Solano, Yolo, eastern Napa and Sac counties, there's tons of deserted trails in the Cache Creek area/northern end of Blue Ridge. Just avoid it when it's wet or you'll encounter the worst mud you'll ever see.

Trails for days--> tuleyome
    http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e7593b8...%20%282%29.pdf

Note that this ride is a VERY long and difficult ride. There are much easier options from the lynch canyon and Wilbur springs road off of highway 20 along with the opportunity to ride out of the high bridge trailhead and the frog pond trail off of highway 16 (forget the loop part, the upper portion was trashed by firefighting). As bailout pointed out, much of this area has glue mud so don't ride when it is even a little bit wet. The Cache creek ridge trail is a great ride from the lynch canyon trailhead with a loop starting in the Roadkill cafe valley. PM for info.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Note that this ride is a VERY long and difficult ride. There are much easier options from the lynch canyon and Wilbur springs road off of highway 20 along with the opportunity to ride out of the high bridge trailhead and the frog pond trail off of highway 16 (forget the loop part, the upper portion was trashed by firefighting). As bailout pointed out, much of this area has glue mud so don't ride when it is even a little bit wet. The Cache creek ridge trail is a great ride from the lynch canyon trailhead with a loop starting in the Roadkill cafe valley. PM for info.
    Yeah, forgot to add that warning about how difficult some of the routes are. Frog Pond loop and CCR would be good options. Also, just an out and back on Fiske Creek trail would be good too. 13 miles and ~2200' elevation gain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Not sure how I feel about it. Nothing has changed from day to day, but it's been over a week since I've ridden and now it feels weird to be around others that are exhaling!
    I encounter one man, then a couple, descending the hill I was climbing.
    I passed a couple (I know here but has a new boyfriend (or whatever) who just got off a plane a few days ago) knudling off the side of the trail.
    Then near the end I encountered the hikers.
    You're probably better off there than in Ft. Lauderdale at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9JT74c8rF8

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    I'm riding dirt and a little road, but today we hiked from the Gap down Skyline to Sea. I don't know if they were angry, but there were a LOT of dudes playing Speed Racer on Hwy 9 in their Gucci cars.

And watch out for amateur hikers. Ran into two teen girls that had their dogs (not allowed) running ahead of them (dragging their leashes). I was focused on the pit bull, but his little buddy that was trailing came up and bit me. Nothing terrible, but some little punctures. Back at the Gap we saw a couple on their mountain bikes dropping in to the Skyline to Sea trail. For one thing, it's hiking only, but more importantly it didn't even look very fun for riding (most of it is ADA compliant)--especially the climb back out. #whatever

One of the dogs was named Jasmine, so if you happen to know those girls tell 'em that nobody makes me bleed my own blood.

Nobody.
    That dog should be quarantined.
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rode a couple of times. No angry drivers. Been a few years since I ran into any.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    My plan for the weekend was to do a short road ride today and tomorrow, and avoid driving (this not-driving stuff is nice!). Today on my ride it started snowing so I cut my ride a bit short. Tomorrow I may opt to pack my MTB and head down the hill to Auburn or Scott's Flat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Response to Hidden Falls---

Was there yesterday to. Parking lot was very full but after poppy, trails weren't busy. I don't see anything that says parking is free on the weekend and their recording message still says reservation on weekends. Going back tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Annadel in Sonoma County was pretty crowded today. Hard to tell if it was because of the nice weather, because outdoor exercise is allowed, or maybe a little of both.

I do know that sucking a lot of wind on climbs has always made me cough. However now I"m noticing that it really clears the trail when I do.
    Just one more ride away from a good mood

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    "Shelter in Place " -- that originally meant DO NOT GO OUTSIDE THE ROOM BECAUSE YER GONNA GET HURT by chemicals/shooting/whatever.

I have no idea why the Bay Area used this term--the doctors wanted to sound like action movie heros or something? Newsom has a better term, simply because it's not overloading an existing one: "Stay home". Cuomo has a silly term but again not overloaded ("New York State on PAUSE ")

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I'm doing the paranoid thing and not riding till the ERs are back to normal and the docs have some good R&R. The last and only time I went to the ER was after losing the front just cruising down a tame trail I'd ridden many times before. I still don't know what caused it (rut? loose gravel?) but all of a sudden I was a few feet away from my bike and leaking.

I'm sticking with kettlebells, jumping rope, and stretching out at home for the foreseeable future.

Funnily enough, the doc stitching me up saw my gear and immediately asked where I was riding, then went on to tell me about how he was thinking of replacing his hardtail. No lectures about safety, just "Take some Ibuprofen and change these bandages and you'll be back out there in a few weeks".

mtbr member
    I got two good trails that keep me quarantined in my neighborhood and both are pretty dang fun. One is fast and rough and feels real good to throw down a heater and the other is a steep and deep risk monster that feels good to not crash on. For now I'm not riding the trail that keeps trying (successfully I might add...) to injure me. Avoiding an unnecessary trip to the ER is a top priority this spring.
    With three young kids and my wife at home, I'm really looking at riding the bikes as my saving grace right now. That and coveralls as everyday wear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The stay inside order is probably gonna stretch for months. At least rain coming this week will lessen the desire to go out in the near term.

From what I have been reading, 18 months is being thrown around a lot as the projected timeframe for it to run its course. Ugh.

fc
    Just had this thought. If you stay inside for the next three months, you are most likely gonna harm your body and your health. And some will go crazy. This is even more true if youíre an athlete and keeping young through biking.

Get outside, stay away from people and keep yourself safe out there
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome
    Jan 2011
    ^^^no riding on the weekends for me...too many people out.

Spin-stabilized
    Well, prepped the bike last night and sharpened my machete for some trailwork in the frontier today but totally slept through my alarm (set for 5am). Too late to go due to time constraints and Rockville will be too packed at this hour. I guess I'll just go do a hundred squats at home (landscaping project).
    I hope you guys got your rides in today.

mtbr member
    TRAILS ARE SO CROWDED up in N Bay.
    Solstice trail was closed by the school. Please respect their signs. Someone vandalized the sign and tried to bury it at the Solstice trailhead, and HZRD folks just advising the sneak around, but really?
    Hard to feel like I'm getting away from it all with all the people out there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just had this thought. If you stay inside for the next three months, you are most likely gonna harm your body and your health. And some will go crazy. This is even more true if youíre an athlete and keeping young through biking.

Come on man. We're better than that.

Two years ago I broke my thumb at the end of October which kept me inside on the trainer for 3 months straight, and on aero bars no less. I came off it super afraid about my health and riding ability, but with the highest fitness I've ever had. I went on to have my strongest racing season yet.

Humans are the most adaptable species on earth. So are you going to succumb to your own artificial barriers or are you going to ADAPT?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I rode China Camp early AM today, hardly anyone in there before 10AM, kind of surprised. Trails were nice after that rain, if you can make it out go get some...

mtbr member
    My buddy posted this from China Camp yesterday. Too much for me. Iíll just stick to my own neighborhood. Iím lucky to have great riding so close. I know that not everyone has that. Are you still going to ride during "Shelter In Place"?-708692b2-568d-4023-8864-896d9e1babdd.jpg

mtbr member
    So Marine County decides to close all of it's parks. Federal, state and local.

mtbr member
    I've rebuilt my fork twice in a week just for the heck of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Road ride around the neighborhood. Nothing too exciting, but nice to get some exercise without needing to drive or be around any crowds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I second that emotion! I got in 24 miles on Skyline and Gap-adjacent trails today. Free therapy. Very few people, although JNT and Castle Rock looked crowded as I cruised by.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong."

Trail Gnome
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickT View Post
    So Marine County decides to close all of it's parks. Federal, state and local.
    Unfortunately...stupid people need lots of governing. These are the same people who have 3+ kids too

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    And the other shoe has dropped... Marin County has just announced closure of all Marin parks. Not sure what that means but assuming parking lots are closed and probably rangers telling you to turn back if they catch you on trails... But that's just speculation on what "closed" means.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    And the other shoe has dropped... Marin County has just announced closure of all Marin parks. Not sure what that means but assuming parking lots are closed and probably rangers telling you to turn back if they catch you on trails... But that's just speculation on what "closed" means.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Crap. That's both shoes!

mtbr member
    Rode my local system - WaterDog - this afternoon. The main fire road linking some upper and lower parking was really crowded but thankfully it started thinning out as you got deeper into other trails. Definitely more than average though. Frankly, I had a hard time getting into my MTB zen mode - kept half-looking at every crossing paths person as a possible vector. I was amazed at how many people didnít seem to be giving a flip about social distancing - ex. on the fireroad up I would go right to the very edge when passing someone/group and I would say 10% would make the effort to do the same. Groups would walk/talk side-side to each other (2, 3, 4) and wouldnít switch to single file as I approached.

mtbr member
    Crap. That's both shoes!
    lol!

Yeah, these crowded trails are no bueno, but as mountain bikers I know we know how to get ourselves away from amateur hour, so let's all do that now.

On Saturday I gifted myself a solo birthday hike deep in the Santa Cruz mountains, 17.5 miles over 7 hours, and saw just three people. This exploratory hike led to several other ideas for hikes and rides, even more remote.

I will absolutely lose it if I have to be cooped up in my house for months. Glad to know the woods offer lots of places to explore, far away from any crowds.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Two rangers went by on snowmachines in a blizzard on Saturday as I was putting on my down jacket and over-boots at the top of the descent. I waved.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Scott M.- Nice. Happy birthday! I've been thinking about a solo day hike of Skyline-to-Sea, but I've also found some other interesting loops and spots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    East bay parks under pressure to close:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...e-15149356.php
    Last edited by sivan.m; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:15 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Dang.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBored View Post
    Please respect their signs. Someone vandalized the sign and tried to bury it at the Solstice trailhead, and HZRD folks just advising the sneak around, but really?
    tried to bury the sign?

mind boggling...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan.m View Post
    East bay parks under pressure to close:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...e-15149356.php
    And this is why we can't have nice things:
    "ÖA tour of 22 trailheads and parks on Saturday revealed packed parking lots, illegally parked cars, blocked gates and access roads, and restrooms closed after visitors stole the toilet paper and hand sanitizer."

Would probably be too hard to implement quickly, but some online lottery or sign-up system to book a segment of time to visit would be ideal.

But people are idiots (how our species has lasted this long is beyond me), and we probably deserve to have the parks closed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Marin park closure sounds like a motor vehicle closure, states fireroads/trails open for hiking/biking, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rglsr View Post
    The Marin park closure sounds like a motor vehicle closure, states fireroads/trails open for hiking/biking, etc.
    i've heard (as of this morning) rangers are hanging out at the trailheads and telling anyone to turn around. I rode home through tennessee valley yesterday and i've never seen it that packed, even during summer months. so many old people too. that picture at china camp further up^^ really bothers me. we deserve to have the parks closed because of that, and i'm glad to be able to say i wasn't part of the problem.

guess ill be road biking all week/maybe heading elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well that bites, thanks for the intel....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I rode at Cronan Ranch on Highway 49 yesterday (Sunday) and it was in great shape, everything is so green right now. Medium busy but was able to park at Noon. Lots of poison oak out right now so be careful!

Eric Barrett
    Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    I rode Marin Headlands early this morning on both road and gravel and all seemed fine. Saw some people out but not too many, an officer passed me twice without stopping. Also saw some wildlife-

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-FY3gzBDsT/

I'm going to stick to sunrise sessions, the afternoons are nuts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Had a few good rides over the weekend. Rode with my brother, 6 ft. apart. Rode at probably 80% of normal to reduce risk and had a great time. Trails were busy in the mornings but found the afternoons to be pretty empty comparatively. Dirt was primo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
    I rode Marin Headlands early this morning on both road and gravel and all seemed fine. Saw some people out but not too many, an officer passed me twice without stopping. Also saw some wildlife-

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-FY3gzBDsT/

I'm going to stick to sunrise sessions, the afternoons are nuts.
    that's good to know, i may try to ride up marincello on my commute home this afternoon if that's the case.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    And this is why we can't have nice things:
    "ÖA tour of 22 trailheads and parks on Saturday revealed packed parking lots, illegally parked cars, blocked gates and access roads, and restrooms closed after visitors stole the toilet paper and hand sanitizer."

Would probably be too hard to implement quickly, but some online lottery or sign-up system to book a segment of time to visit would be ideal.

But people are idiots (how our species has lasted this long is beyond me), and we probably deserve to have the parks closed.
    Yep. We are causing our own problems by gathering up our friends to go hang out.

I personally think the plan is already laid out.
    Some things are prepared in advance, especially for places less at risk.
    Order to stay home which really means do everything except go to work, or don't hang out with your friends.
    Next is going to be to close down outdoor activities. If we were all told at the same time to not leave your house it would be too much for us to take. Allowing us (humans) to slowly adapt is better for us as a society (in my own opinion).
    It's a matter of weeks, or less, here in CA before our parks are all closed.
    Heard today from family that Michigan is going into the same stay at home order at midnight tonight. Another state checked off the list.

inebriate savant
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    The stay inside order is probably gonna stretch for months. At least rain coming this week will lessen the desire to go out in the near term.

From what I have been reading, 18 months is being thrown around a lot as the projected timeframe for it to run its course. Ugh.
    That may be a preferred scientific timeframe, but that is completely unrealistic in terms of a societal or economic timeframe.
    Work smarter AND harder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmason View Post
    That may be a preferred scientific timeframe, but that is completely unrealistic in terms of a societal or economic timeframe.
    Yep. 18 months of shelter-in-place will throw the world into the deepest depression imaginable. Actually I don't think it is even imaginable. GDP contraction would be like 80%.

Will have to find a compromise with slowing this thing down while keeping the economy going.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yep, still riding. Rode Friday afternoon and saw more hikers and more bikes than I've ever seen at Lime Ridge. I'm keeping my lights charged just in case the shut downs come.

Ride On!
    Guess the weekend crowds has the Governor ordering closure of some State Park Parking Lots https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30355. Was glad to see that Auburn SRA and Granite Bay/Beals Point were not on the list.

mtbr member
    Today the county updated the conditions for use of public land. After reading the alerts that I saw last night 3.22.2020 stating that "outside" was basically closed due to people being dumb AF, I for one am happy that I can continue to ride from my house and into the public preserves that border my neighborhood. There are no parking lots, services, or gathering places near these trails so I see no reason to avoid them. I feel very lucky to have this as I know many of my riding buddies who live too far from any trails to ride them right now.

From Marin County Parks website today:

Parks Shelter in Place Updates
    Restrictions and Closures
    All Marin County Parks locations are under restrictions, to comply with the Marin County public health order issued March 22, 2020. The order was issued when popular beaches and trailheads in Marin became dangerously overcrowded.

Marin County's public health officer is asking people not to drive to beaches, open space, or parks outside their neighborhoods. Avoid places where groups are gathering. Community members may walk or bike to nearby preserves, parks, and pathways that are open. View the updated location list.

mtbr member
    Parking lots and gates will be closed but you can still bike or hike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/1...-whether-parks

"All parks in Sonoma County will be closed to the public beginning at midnight Tuesday until further notice, in the hopes of curbing the spread of the coronavirus in the region.

The order includes all city, county and state parks, as well as parks on school grounds and beaches"

I ride Annadel every day I'm not working, which is only one day a week right now. Now they're saying I can't get my shred on?
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Parking lots and gates will be closed but you can still bike or hike.
    Amen to that!!

the half breed devil
    mayor breed threatens to close SF city parks:

https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/a...n-15151801.php

i've heard the laguna honda trails are closed, still waiting for confirmation from a reliable source.

the half breed devil
    confirmation of laguna honda trails closure.

https://m.facebook.com/SFUrbanRiders...45293308883910

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Are you still going to ride during "Shelter In Place"?

Stop messing with the Solstice sign you stupid MTFíers and ride something else for the time being. If we lose access to Solstice in the future, Iíd be super bitter. I rode on the trails in Marin on Saturday and there were so many people I decided to go on a road ride on Sunday because it was safer. Imagine that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm still hiking and biking in Briones, which fortunately for us is really close to our house. The crowds have been big but manageable, as has been parking. Then again, I've been going to one of the less crowded trailheads. I have heard the main lots are jammed. For the most part people have been courteous around social distancing. I've only had a couple of times on my bike where a group got on both sides of the trail, forcing me to pass them in the middle which I did not want to do. I always call out 'on the left/right' and usually people move over. If they close the east bay parks I am still going to hike there, not sure I would mtn bike as that involves parking.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Road riding. Too much snow on the trails.

Snowing for the next couple days anyway.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

fc
    These cold storms are pissing me off

Been trying to ride and get the family outside but it has not been easy.

Gotta stay healthy too so donít want to get soaked out there
    IPA will save America

Formerly dvo
    I consider myself fortunate to live 5 minutes from Fremont Older and Montebello/Stevens Canyon so yeah I am still riding.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Gotta stay healthy too so donít want to get soaked out there

"There's no bad weather, only bad clothes!"

(from Norway, a place with no shortage of bad weather)

Rain won't make you sick. I tested that out this weekend, riding in rain--and a little hail--for the last hour of my ride. Wool socks kept my feet from freezing, but my my thin wool glove liners didn't do much, so I need to upgrade.

fc
    "There's no bad weather, only bad clothes!"

(from Norway, a place with no shortage of bad weather)

Rain won't make you sick. I tested that out this weekend, riding in rain--and a little hail--for the last hour of my ride. Wool socks kept my feet from freezing, but my my thin wool glove liners didn't do much, so I need to upgrade.
    Rain will make you sick if you eff it up!

I have all the clothing around and the routine. But taking just the right amount not to be overburdened (or sweat a lot on the climb) and still have good time is an art form. Usually, I just wait til the next day. I ride mostly along Skyline blvd and it gets cold.

But... speaking for others as well.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    We need rain in California. Donít want another wildfire and or drought outbreak like in previous years. February was looking bleak for a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Rain will make you sick if you eff it up!

I have all the clothing around and the routine. But taking just the right amount not to be overburdened (or sweat a lot on the climb) and still have good time is an art form. Usually, I just wait til the next day. I ride mostly along Skyline blvd and it gets cold.

But... speaking for others as well.
    I get where you're coming from! I'm been riding/hiking more on Skyline-area trails this year for various reasons. The weather definitely keeps you on your toes, kinda like going up to Mount Hamilton.

Up In Smoke
    I feel like the only guy around that's not out riding during all this. Been 2.5 weeks since I've done anything other than walk the dog. Might hop on the trainer this afternoon but I also might not since I really don't feel all that motivated to put in work.
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

fc
    I get where you're coming from! I'm been riding/hiking more on Skyline-area trails this year for various reasons. The weather definitely keeps you on your toes, kinda like going up to Mount Hamilton.
    Mount Hamilton! I went up there Jan 17!!!

Are you still going to ride during "Shelter In Place"?-img_5736.jpg

Are you still going to ride during "Shelter In Place"?-img_5750.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ Dude. I can't even imagine how cold that descent was! A few years ago I was descending from the observatory and couldn't figure out what was wrong with my bike. I had a bad wheel wobble. I finally realized that it was me--shaking!

fc
    ^ Dude. I can't even imagine how cold that descent was! A few years ago I was descending from the observatory and couldn't figure out what was wrong with my bike. I had a bad wheel wobble. I finally realized that it was me--shaking!
    Honestly man, Iíve been dreaming of doing this ride for the last 20 years.

With an E bike, One can get up there with decent fitness. And One can just bring extra jackets and gloves. So thatís what I did and had one of the best afternoon ride in a long long time.
    IPA will save America

Spin-stabilized
    Party's over.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    Party's over.

Wow, that is a big deal. That park is closeable too quite easily because of that entrance.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Ride on is both legal and ethical in Michigan. If I donít move I will die.....besides the places I ride I usually see one or two folks...thatís it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Yes as I can be on the trails within 5 minutes of where I live. Have been exploring many trails on my ebike, well into Diablo and surrounding areas (no one around), PM me if youíre in the Shell Ridge area with an ebike and want to explore any day of the week (semi retired) social distancing will be observed of course.

Up In Smoke
    A lot of people are out riding bikes these days due to the SIP but a lot of people don't seem to understand that they still need to obey the traffic laws when riding on the road. I'm still working(part time) so I'm driving daily and I've had multiple close calls because some bikers are making poor decisions. Just a reminder, be safe if you are riding on the road.

Your florescent/reflective yellow jacket doesn't make you invincible.

Be careful if you are out driving and keep your head on a swivel for cyclist. Just saying, a lot of people out on bikes that are not seasoned cyclist and seem to lack some experience being on the road with cars.
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

Rollin 29s
    I gave up road biking and sold my road bike when Sonoma County drivers and roads made me re evaluate the importance of being around to support my family.

So now with an Ibis Ripmo and no parks to ride it in, I was faced with a dilemma.
    3 rides per week are in the dark, early morning for the last few years, so I thought about continuing to ride up at Annadel during all of this. Iím the only one up there about 95% of the time at that hour, and wouldnít have to deal very much with the social stigma of being seen riding a closed park.

However, the thought of getting hurt and having to be helicoptered out of a closed park - not to mention this is NOT a time in history you want to be spending in hospitals, has made me decide to give up dirt riding until this passes.

So, without a road or gravel bike, Iíve ordered fat 2.5Ē Maxis Hookworms for the Ripmo, and Iím just going to ride all of the hills around here that I can find.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford