Yeti Sb6c and Santa Cruz Nomad 2016 for Northstar Enduro, Pacifica riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Yeti Sb6c and Santa Cruz Nomad 2016 for Northstar Enduro, Pacifica riding

My bikes got stolen a couple weeks ago and I looking at 2 bikes to replace a Cannondale JekyllI'm looking at a Yeti 6c and a Nomad for NorthStar Enduro, riding Pacifica, and Santa Cruz. Both bikes are on sale, but I'm running out of time to get them in time for the race. Yeti is $1200 more. Nomad is x01 build, yeti the same.

concerns:
    read about Yeti 6c rear triangle failures. Did this get fixed or just preproduction frames.
    Yeti customer service. Don't know how responsive they are?
    Nomad is not boost, is this a big deal for a new bikes I plan to keep for 3-5 years
    Both bikes have been out for 2 years and Santa Cruz updated 5010 and the Bronson, is nomad next. Yeti has a sale now, which leads me to think frame design may be coming.

Theyre both good bikes, and rode them both. Like the yeti just a little bit more, but with the extra money, I could get ibis 741 and make Nomad better.

Thoughts or concerns,

thanks
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB6c
    Pivot 4SL
    Litespeed Ultimate Gravel
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Boost doesn't matter if you plan on keeping the bike for a while. If anything you'll be able to find good deals on wheels in a few years.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I would get a Yeti just to be different around here.

We are the stronghold of Santa Cruz bikes around here. But around Colorado, Yeti has a cult-like following. Good community and support too. And now they have unbelievable racers to prove the bikes are ok.

I rode a 6c for the last couple days and it's good. Very active, supple suspension with good traction. Climbing too.

Boost is important because in 3 years, all bikes in that category will be Boost. Better resale and better parts selection. It has better stiffness and mud clearance but that's hard to notice for most.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti Sb6c and Santa Cruz Nomad 2016 for Northstar Enduro, Pacifica riding-oneill-ro1d2723.jpg  

Yeti Sb6c and Santa Cruz Nomad 2016 for Northstar Enduro, Pacifica riding-oneill-ro1d2478.jpg  

IPA will save America

I'm really diggin it!
    I'd go boost just to avoid compatibility issues down the road.

I'm stuck with several bikes with old and different standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    carbon wheels would be a far greater improvement to the ride quality than a Boost hub or a unique headtube badge... If you're planning on keeping the bike for 3+ years it's kind of silly to be factoring perceived resale IMO. You should just assume you won't get much for either one at that point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    I'd go boost just to avoid compatibility issues down the road.

I'm stuck with several bikes with old and different standards.
    Depends on how much the price difference is right now, it can be a lot less to pick up some of the last non-Boost builds. And he said only for 3-5 years so that should be fine.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JT79 View Post
    Depends on how much the price difference is right now, it can be a lot less to pick up some of the last non-Boost builds. And he said only for 3-5 years so that should be fine.
    I go thru hubs and rims. It's kicking my ass right now

mtbr member
    ^^ Sure, but it's not going to be hard to find non BOOST hubs and rims in three years. Maybe in 6 or 7, though.

mtbr member
    I ride a 6c and love it. its a plus that they are not as many around imho..plus its the bike that has won the EWS last couple years! just my .02

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Santa Cruz and other Norcal bike companies invest in Norcal trails and events, and employ local people. So that seems like a half-decent reason to support 'em, if we're talking about fashion and being hipsters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigen View Post
    ...if we're talking about fashion and being hipsters.
    Dude, this is MTBR... DUH!

OP should save some money and buy a year old used version of either of those bikes from an overpaid dentist who rides said bike once a month at Wilder, but clearly cannot ride it anymore as it doesn't support the latest standard/fad of the month. Beat the crap out of it at N*/Pacifica/etc for a year or so, then maybe by then the current standards craze will have settled down to sh1t that actually works and makes a difference. At that point buy a new bike that might actually remain current for a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tigen View Post
    Santa Cruz and other Norcal bike companies invest in Norcal trails and events, and employ local people. So that seems like a half-decent reason to support 'em, if we're talking about fashion and being hipsters.
    That's a big reason I bought an Ibis.
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB6c
    Pivot 4SL
    Litespeed Ultimate Gravel
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
    That's a big reason I bought an Ibis.
    Yeah, yeah. You just got two bike stolen. You deserve the shiny new bike of your dreams!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yt jeffsy or Capra.....

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Dude, this is MTBR... DUH!

OP should save some money and buy a year old used version of either of those bikes from an overpaid dentist who rides said bike once a month at Wilder, but clearly cannot ride it anymore as it doesn't support the latest standard/fad of the month. Beat the crap out of it at N*/Pacifica/etc for a year or so, then maybe by then the current standards craze will have settled down to sh1t that actually works and makes a difference. At that point buy a new bike that might actually remain current for a while.
    This is exactly what I did.

26" carbon nomad 2c hope bling nothing spared for 2k about s year ago.

I think I can trust the 148 standard will be around for a bit. So I'm thinking of getting a new 148 hardtail.

However I'd like to see an option so u could have a DH, AM and HT all with the same wheel and axle size.

That securely set as a standard Id invest in all new bikes. I'm not seeing that right now so I'm maintaining my AM and DH for now and selling the HT.

Anyone want to buy a 29er HT ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    This is exactly what I did.

26" carbon nomad 2c hope bling nothing spared for 2k about s year ago.

I think I can trust the 148 standard will be around for a bit. So I'm thinking of getting a new 148 hardtail.

However I'd like to see an option so u could have a DH, AM and HT all with the same wheel and axle size.

That securely set as a standard Id invest in all new bikes. I'm not seeing that right now so I'm maintaining my AM and DH for now and selling the HT.

Anyone want to buy a 29er HT ?

As much as I would like to wait, I started riding 2 years ago and started racing for the first time this year. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'm trying to learn to work on my bike, not very comfortable yet. Most of the stuff I've learned about bikes comes from my local bike shops and the people on the forum (thanks FC,Davey Simon, and several others).

I'm not very comfortable buying used, especially carbon, so I find stuff going on sale a buy new. I'm hoping to build my first bike next year. I started this thread because I know this isn't the best time to buy a bike, the industry is having an unusual about of change and wanted to make the best decision on a new bike.

Yeti and Santa Cruz are both on sale (as is everything else), and I'm weighing, getting a good bike, local companies, and smaller bike shops who have been so helpful.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll ride both bike again today, and make my decision.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
    As much as I would like to wait, I started riding 2 years ago and started racing for the first time this year. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'm trying to learn to work on my bike, not very comfortable yet. Most of the stuff I've learned about bikes comes from my local bike shops and the people on the forum (thanks FC,Davey Simon, and several others).

I'm not very comfortable buying used, especially carbon, so I find stuff going on sale a buy new. I'm hoping to build my first bike next year. I started this thread because I know this isn't the best time to buy a bike, the industry is having an unusual about of change and wanted to make the best decision on a new bike.

Yeti and Santa Cruz are both on sale (as is everything else), and I'm weighing, getting a good bike, local companies, and smaller bike shops who have been so helpful.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll ride both bike again today, and make my decision.
    I've been racing and riding bikes on narrow dirt trails for for a couple decades and I'd be lost if given a check from insurance too

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey does that yeti 6c have that 'baby sized' fox shock down by the bottom bracket, if so it looks kinda weird/proprietary/hard to get parts for. I'm probably wrong but SC bikes always have 'normal' builds/components and they usually stack the deck pretty good even on the low-end builds

fc
    I've been racing and riding bikes on narrow dirt trails for for a couple decades and I'd be lost if given a check from insurance too

It has two mini-fox looking shocks but they are just sliders. They don't hold air pressure.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    So here are three exciting new bikes. It's a good time to be in the market.

Note: if you're happy with your current stuff, ignore all this banter.

Trek Slash 29er - 160mm travel

Yeti Sb6c and Santa Cruz Nomad 2016 for Northstar Enduro, Pacifica riding-p8170050.jpg

Pivot Firebird - 27.5 with 170mm travel
    Yeti Sb6c and Santa Cruz Nomad 2016 for Northstar Enduro, Pacifica riding-p8170007.jpg

Specialized Enduro - 27.5 with 170mm travel or 29er with 160mm. Or Plus
    Yeti Sb6c and Santa Cruz Nomad 2016 for Northstar Enduro, Pacifica riding-harookz_endurolaunch_7275.jpg

All should be available in a month
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Leaning towards the Yeti right now. Going to ride it one more time and borrow a friends Nomad later today and decide. Can pick up a Nomad today, or a 6c on Tuesday.

Will let you know. Appreciate all the banter.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

Pivot Firebird - 27.5 with 170mm travel
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8170007.jpg 
Views:	3403 
Size:	345.9 KB 
ID:	1088823

All should be available in a month
    Oh dreams do come true. Please tell me this has the same rear wheel spacing as the DH bike....

mtbr member
    Maybe I didn't notice before but is 170mm becoming more common for enduro / not strictly DH bikes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No 157 i believe it's boost 148

fc

Yeti Sb6c and Santa Cruz Nomad 2016 for Northstar Enduro, Pacifica riding

Quote Originally Posted by JT79 View Post
    Maybe I didn't notice before but is 170mm becoming more common for enduro / not strictly DH bikes?
    It was used in the Orbea Rallon since the BB was so low. It's not really widely used as stock spec.

For the Enduro, there are four different wheel diameters so they went 170mm for all the potential low bb problems on the the lowest bb height configurations.
    Last edited by fc; 08-19-2016 at 07:26 AM.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    No 157 i believe it's boost 148
    This is Boost 148, not 157. I think that's good.

I'm not a fan of that SuperBoost 157 and it was more because of the Switchblade's desire to accommodate 3.2 tires and front derailleur. Pretty darn unlikely!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    SB6c cannot fit a bottle, deal breaker for me

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    buy my Nomad if you need an XL frame

2015 Santa Cruz Nomad, XX1, Enve, Push ElevenSix - PRICE DROP 8/12/16 - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

I'll make you a little better deal and give you lots of extras if you pick it up this weekend

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Rode both bikes yesterday, and going with the yeti. Both bikes are great, Yeti pedals a little better and feels better at speed. Nomad is more confidence inspiring over technical descents. Came down to when I'm at the bottom at Sulfur Springs, which bike would I rather climb up with to do one more loop.

Nomad is awesome though. Win, win either way.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.