Peace & Love

Yes, I know how to use the "search" feature...

...but I am lazy I suppose.

Long story short, moved to Norcal 2.5 years ago, essentially stopped riding since I left SoCal, where I certainly did know most good trails.

Bought a new bike to "motivate" so plan to start up here.

Just moved again within NorCal, this time near Half Moon Bay area and while I can google, hoping something more substantive y'all e-friends can point me towards in terms of actual links to specific trails, etc.

Otherwise, if you see some dbag on the trail riding a shiny new bike, swearing at having no clue as to his whereabouts, with no ability to figure out how to use any of the current-day parts on said bike, dont say I didnt warn you.

Peace out

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't know the trails near HMB. Obviously, there's Santa Cruz to the South. Some trails in Pacifica area. Skeggs off of Hwy 35.

TrailForks is a good place to start to get an idea of what's out there.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The two obvious riding areas from there would be Skeggs (El Corte de Madera Open Space) and Soquel Demonstration Forest.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by king_dave72 View Post
    I don't know the trails near HMB. Obviously, there's Santa Cruz to the South. Some trails in Pacifica area. Skeggs off of Hwy 35.

TrailForks is a good place to start to get an idea of what's out there.
    But, but, but isn't MTBR a review site? Shouldn't there be good reviews of the trails right here???

/sarcasm

mtbr member
    Great website I used when I first started Mountain Biking and was trying to discover around the area. Really good resource....

https://bayarearides.com

Formerly dvo
    Gods Trail above El Granada is worth looking into. Check Trailforks....
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Xc, dh, am? What bike?

Dont want to recommend crack and mile if you are on a feul or epic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    The two obvious riding areas from there would be Skeggs (El Corte de Madera Open Space) and Soquel Demonstration Forest.
    Demo is not close to half moon bay.

There is decent stuff in El Granada, Montara, and Pacifica. Trailforks has a few of them on it. Check it out. You will likely see other riders out there on any given weekend.

Cheeseburgler
    There is also Purisima. You can park at the bottom easily from half moon bay.

Peace & Love
    thanks to all. very helpful. as for "type or bike or riding", doesn't matter to me as my goal is simply to get the F out there and get my lazy ass into shape

have a Jeff Jones 29er singlespeed, Lynskey 29er AM hardtail, and Knolly Warden

i currently suck on them all

Yes, I know how to use the "search" feature...-34470_1452325701587_1880623_n.jpgYes, I know how to use the "search" feature...-warden.jpgYes, I know how to use the "search" feature...-jones.jpg
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 1 Week Ago at 07:16 AM.

Ride, Race, Live
    Trailforks has some really detailed info, but I fin MTB Project more useful for fully developed "rides"

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8019809/san-mateo

Peace & Love
    cool thanks Mick-e and all

Gods Plan and ohers in that area are perfect as I can essentially cross the highway and in less than a mile will be there. Always nice to have something i dont need to drive to as there are then even less excuses for me to use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    thanks to all. very helpful. as for "type or bike or riding", doesn't matter to me as my goal is simply to get the F out there and get my lazy ass into shape

have a Jeff Jones 29er singlespeed, Lynskey 29er AM hardtail, and Knolly Warden

i currently suck on them all

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34470_1452325701587_1880623_n.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	1237290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warden.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	1237291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jones.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	1237292

-You are currently not worthy of that Jones and should send it directly to me. LOL
    Good to see you on the boards again Fo!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Hella Olde
    Bring the Warden and stop by Gearhead Bikes in Pacifica

https://www.gearheadbikespacifica.com/

(do as I say, not as i do - I've never been there!) and they will give you specific directions to all the trails on Montara Mtn. - AKA 'Pacifica' 'Pasickifa' 'P-Town'. It looks like they have links under the 'Ride Pacifica' banner on their site. Some ppl are down on what has been on youtube for many years, but I say search it up and make choices about what you want to ride.

Some of the trails are called Mile, Crack, Boy Scout. There are others you can work up to if you find you like riding there. You will be gaining your elevation riding up POTA aka Planet of The Apes Road - an overgrown former hiway from the 1930s. From a very general logistical standpoint, the recommended start/finish point would be the 'Higgins Gate'. The entrance is at the end of Higgins road, but it's better for the neighbors if you don't park right there. Park near Higgins and Adobe. There is a liquor store where Adobe meets the main drag. For water. Mostly.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    -You are currently not worthy of that Jones and should send it directly to me. LOL
    Good to see you on the boards again Fo!
    DMFT, WTF are you talking about when you say "currently"? I was NEVER worthy of that bike. Having said that, it's probably the one bike i will never sell.

And thanks, yeah, its been a long long time since i posted. I think last time I was here, Aquaholic was only in his young 80s.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Bring the Warden and stop by Gearhead Bikes in Pacifica

https://www.gearheadbikespacifica.com/

(do as I say, not as i do - I've never been there!) and they will give you specific directions to all the trails on Montara Mtn. - AKA 'Pacifica' 'Pasickifa' 'P-Town'. It looks like they have links under the 'Ride Pacifica' banner on their site. Some ppl are down on what has been on youtube for many years, but I say search it up and make choices about what you want to ride.

Some of the trails are called Mile, Crack, Boy Scout. There are others you can work up to if you find you like riding there. You will be gaining your elevation riding up POTA aka Planet of The Apes Road - an overgrown former hiway from the 1930s. From a very general logistical standpoint, the recommended start/finish point would be the 'Higgins Gate'. The entrance is at the end of Higgins road, but it's better for the neighbors if you don't park right there. Park near Higgins and Adobe. There is a liquor store where Adobe meets the main drag. For water. Mostly.
    will do DH40! In fact, i wonder if I already met you??? I love your shop by the way, its definitely my new go to shop! You guys fixed my Salsa the other day after I ate sh!t on it and tweaked the rear der, thanks!

I will bring the Knolly by for sure. Just putting pedals on today, havent even seen dirt (just got from Knolly direct). To be honest, I am sort of regretting my purchase since I am a lame 29er guy and wish i paid more for the Fugitive but I am sure it will rock, just been so long since I have ridden anything but a 29er but with the price drop I figured I would go with the Warden. I guess I better like it...cant send it back :-) anybody want to buy a brand new Warden with sick build for cheap LOL

Hella Olde
    will do DH40! In fact, i wonder if I already met you??? I love your shop by the way, its definitely my new go to shop! You guys fixed my Salsa the other day after I ate sh!t on it and tweaked the rear der, thanks!

I will bring the Knolly by for sure. Just putting pedals on today, havent even seen dirt (just got from Knolly direct). To be honest, I am sort of regretting my purchase since I am a lame 29er guy and wish i paid more for the Fugitive but I am sure it will rock, just been so long since I have ridden anything but a 29er but with the price drop I figured I would go with the Warden. I guess I better like it...cant send it back :-) anybody want to buy a brand new Warden with sick build for cheap LOL

Thanks!!!!! but I meant I've never been to the shop LOLZ.

(do as I say, not as i do - I've never been there!)

Peace & Love
    Thanks!!!!! but I meant I've never been to the shop LOLZ.

(do as I say, not as i do - I've never been there!)
    ha! would help if i paid attention and didnt try to multi task. doh!

its a cool shop though

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    DMFT, WTF are you talking about when you say "currently"? I was NEVER worthy of that bike. Having said that, it's probably the one bike i will never sell.

And thanks, yeah, its been a long long time since i posted. I think last time I was here, Aquaholic was only in his young 80s.

HaHaHaaa!!! Now THAT'S sum funny shizzle!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Hella Olde
    ha! would help if i paid attention and didnt try to multi task. doh!

its a cool shop though
    I've always meant to - I know they are cool people and I did go in a few times when they were by the beach.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Trail forks is great for finding trails, less good for picking the optimal overall ride (though there are some good routes on TF too). MTB Project is better for "complete" rides IMO, but it's coverage is limited.

I've personally found that the best way to find good rides is to look at the routes other similarly-minded riders have done on TF or Strava. So with that in mind, here's my TF Ride log (about 700mi of MTB riding last year), and you should be able to see all the rides on established trails (those w/ "informal" trails will be hidden):

https://www.trailforks.com/profile/T...ear=0&bikeid=0

Most rides are 10-20 miles on single track. I ride Ibis Mojo HD3 and look for trails that put the bike to use when I can, though not always feasible in Bay Area.

You should be able to download these routes to your phone if you want to try them out.

Happy hunting!

Flat Pluto Society
    ... I did go in a few times when they were by the beach.
    Say what?

"Say, Sheriff, I think we've found the guy who's been breaking in to the bike shops when they're out surfing."