xc style mt. bike trails between tioga pass and mammoth- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

xc style mt. bike trails between tioga pass and mammoth

Am traveling down to the Eastern Sierra, from Bend Or for a few days of exploration. Would love to be able to do some mountain biking up in the mountains. Does anyone know if there is good mt. biking on Tioga Pass or south towards Mammoth. I know Mammoth has a bike park, but would prefer to do some more xc style stuff as high up in the sub alpine terrain. If anyone has any info on trails in that area it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Greg

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by dixongregory
    Am traveling down to the Eastern Sierra, from Bend Or for a few days of exploration. Would love to be able to do some mountain biking up in the mountains. Does anyone know if there is good mt. biking on Tioga Pass or south towards Mammoth. I know Mammoth has a bike park, but would prefer to do some more xc style stuff as high up in the sub alpine terrain. If anyone has any info on trails in that area it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Greg
    I understand there are some good XC trails near Mammoth also but haven't ridden them myself.
    I know some stuff north of there but nothing on that side of the Sierras that far south.

mtbr member
    Kinda' slim pickins but many of the trails on Mammoth are actually very xc and you can climb all the way from town. Even if you take the lift there are xc-style descent options and long detour options that don't descend for a ways. There are places where you feel like you're in a "park" but mostly not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My guide book says the Saddlebag lake trail and Bennettville trail are both open to bikes. They are right outside the wilderness near the pass and should give you a couple short rides.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Also might try checking out the So Cal forum, more Mammoth talk over there. The Rock Creek Trail gets mentioned a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Very nice, thanks robomatt, I will look up those trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Will do, thanks

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Bump..

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Most single track is illegal in this area. However there is fun single track on Mammoth Mountain. Mountain View trail is fun and loops around to Downtown and Uptown. Get a map of the Mammoth Mountain Trails and buy a non-lift pass and go for it. You can ride up a bunch of the single track on the Mountain itself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    There's fun biking in the Sweetwaters and Bodie Hills (if you are coming down the eastside from 108 or points north), but most everything is pretty sandy (read: way too soft volcanic pumice sand) in the Lee Vining to Mammoth area. The two rides listed above (Bennetville and Saddlebag) are fun but very short - doing both would be a fun stop for an afternoon. Watch out on the elevation, they are both really high. Saddlebag is very rocky and technical (particularly the west side of the lake), good one to have a bash guard for. Also avoid Saddlebag on weekends, there's too much foot traffic. You must stay on the trail right near the lake, heading north from the end of the lake is all designated Wilderness - no bikes - but it is not signed well.

There's an OK mountain bike loop on jeep roads near Lee Vining (Horse Meadows), but it's more fun to just explore the various jeep roads up in the Horse Meadows area than it is to do the whole loop (the second half of the loop is pretty lame). And you can have very nasty biting gnats on that one.

If I were you I'd take 108 and explore some sweet trails near Pinecrest (see recent thread), then head down the eastside straight to Mammoth.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Interesting. I know this question has come up before, with much the same answer. It makes sense that there's not much. We'd have heard about it before, given Mammoth's length of involvement in mtn biking, and given the steepness of the east side of the Sierra.

I just did some recon via Google's satellite photos and online maps. They don't show wilderness boundaries or private property lines. But they do give you a sense of the terrain. There are some pretty dramatic terrain changes between Mammoth and June Mtn / June Lake loop. There's a big plateau area north of Mammoth and 203. It appears you could get between the two going cross country, but only by veering east almost to 395.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    As mentioned before, about 8 miles south of Mammoth on 395 is Rock Creek trail.
    Totally worth finding it and riding.

Posted before but worth reposting...

This part is the first half where it's flowy, it gets more technical after the road crossing.

from Ciclistagonzo on Vimeo.

-Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

dw22107
    Jan 2008

June lake

You might check

Thebackcountry.net (mtb section). It may be a few years old but I recall a post from Mike @The Back Country (great shop) about a single track somewhere near the ski area(June Lake). Good luck.

Dwight

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Lower Rock Creek is great fun, but it's about 20 miles south of Mammoth not 8 (15+ miles south of the Mammoth turn-off). A fun quick out-and-back if you do the upper 2 sections (about 3 miles one way), and a longer more technical ride if you do the whole trail (about 9 miles down, ride back up the road). Super easy to find, just take 395 south, pass Tom's Place, then take the road to the right (about a half mile past Tom's Place) and park in the lot on the right - the trail starts just across the road. You can't get lost, the trail goes down a big canyon (but you do have to jog up the road about 100 feet at the first road crossing). It will be a lot warmer down that way (top is 7000', bottom 5000'), so a very good option if you hit a cold spell, and not a great option in a hot spell unless you get going early.

(slight return)
    Hear good things about Rock Creek.

As far as Fire Roads go, White Mountain isn't half bad:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...65704#poststop

-slide

Members who have read this thread: 0