Woo, Hoo! I'm riding in Tahoe!- Mtbr.com
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Woo, Hoo! I'm riding in Tahoe!

Finally, I can ride without driving an hour. I just rode Emigrant Trail and it was all clear. I'm guessing it has been for a week or so, but I did not realize it. I am hoping this means Lloyd's is open as well. Only 2-1/2 months and I'll be doing Hole in the Ground!

I dig trails!
    Nice! Thanks for the update! I know you guys up there have the jonez....

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Only 2-1/2 months and I'll be doing Hole in the Ground!
    Must.... wait.... patiently.... and hope for no new snow up there! :mad2:

Mr. P

President of the Internet
    What elevation is the emigrant trail at?

I've never ridden it, but I will now!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

a little over 6000'

the beauty of it is that it's in an exposed "rain shadow" like area... so it doesn't get the buildup of snow that other areas get.

some people rode it last week... rideable, but sloppy they said. should be improving rapidly.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Too Much Fun

Wow! I thought it would be June before Tahoe was ridable...

Finally, I can ride without driving an hour. I just rode Emigrant Trail and it was all clear.
    Thats great news! I kept reading about 20' bases at Alpine and Squaw and figured trails were not opening up for a loooong time (June).

Good to hear the sun is working its fireball routine up there.

- -benja- -

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Thats great news! I kept reading about 20' bases at Alpine and Squaw and figured trails were not opening up for a loooong time (June).

Good to hear the sun is working its fireball routine up there.

Well, the really good stuff (Hole in the Ground, Stanford Rock, Mr, Toads) won't be open for some time. The emigrant trail is only at around 6,000 feet.

jrm
    mtbr member

And no skitters yet..

Well, the really good stuff (Hole in the Ground, Stanford Rock, Mr, Toads) won't be open for some time. The emigrant trail is only at around 6,000 feet.
    i wanna ride HITG

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah
    the beauty of it is that it's in an exposed "rain shadow" like area... so it doesn't get the buildup of snow that other areas get.

some people rode it last week... rideable, but sloppy they said. should be improving rapidly.
    It was VERY sloppy in one 100' section, but otherwise really good. It did get rather rutted in a few places.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Flume ridable?

It was VERY sloppy in one 100' section, but otherwise really good. It did get rather rutted in a few places.
    Is Flume ridable yet? I haven't been in the Sierras this winter, however when I watch the morning newscast and they show pictures of the Lake, it looks like the snowline is greater than half-way up the hills. [Looking at a topo, it looks like the Flume is 3/4ths of the way up]

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    Is Flume ridable yet? I haven't been in the Sierras this winter, however when I watch the morning newscast and they show pictures of the Lake, it looks like the snowline is greater than half-way up the hills. [Looking at a topo, it looks like the Flume is 3/4ths of the way up]
    I would assume not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Rode Lloyds last Sunday. The frontside was in great shape. Only mud was on the dirt roads and a few low spots.
    Ran on Bear Market Friday. Rough, and the fireroad climb had a lot of snow higher up. People have been hitting it for days, it looks like. Another week and she'll be ready to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Flume

As of yesterday, you could see the snow still patchy at Flume level. I would assume that the shady areas have a fair amount. The biggest challenge with Flume would be getting there.. Either from Spooner or from Incline, those roads have some shady or north facing sections that probably have 4-6' of snow.

Members who have read this thread: 0