Air Pirate

New question here. Winter MTB gloves...for Nor Cal non-snow conditions? What do you use?

Winter will be here pretty soon. I was looking at the gear I have and realized my winter gloves were needing replacement. The pairs I have have been okay, but they seem to be intended more for road riding and not mountain biking...questionable as far as durability, impact protection, and control/bar feedback.

What do you wear on your hands riding dirt in the winter conditions we see in the non-snowy areas of Nor Cal? For cold and dry or cold and wet?
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Moderator Moderator
    These are the glove I like, but seem to be sold out on the site. Contact HandUp I'm sure they can get some to you when they make more.

https://handupgloves.com/handup-glov...knittedsweater

Hella Olde
    I've been using these year-round, but the idea is that they excel when the weather becomes 100% Brisker....

mtbr member
    I need new winter gloves too. 49* this morning and my regular Fox Ranger gloves (really great gloves btw) were still just fine. When the morning/evening temps drop just a little more though it will be time to make sure my digits don't go numb with some warmer gloves. I've tried so many cold weather gloves over the years and have never really found that sweet spot. I want cozy fingers but dislike anything bulky. One thing I have discovered is that I probably have poor circulation to my extremities. Once those cold brake levers sap the heat from my fingers it is very hard for me to get the blood flowing again. Sometimes the best thing I can do is take off my cold gloves and stuff them under my jersey or in my bibs. At that point the cold gloves aren't doing anything for me until both my hands and gloves get warmed up again. Climbing helps. The only other take away I have is that with even with the nicest 30* glove, if it fits too tight or just a little snug, there is no air in there to get warm. Air is a fantastic insulator. No room for a little air and all you end up with is a cold glove keeping your cold hand cold.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    I've been using these year-round, but the idea is that they excel when the weather becomes 100% Brisker....
    These look good. I'm gonna try them. Thanks

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    https://www.foxracing.com/sidewinder...ves/10316.html

insulated windproof back but the palm is a normal thin mtb glove

fc
    head minion Administrator
    good timing.

On one run at Downieville, my hands froze. I blame it for my unplanned getoff.

It'll be cool to find a glove that is totally stealth/thin on the palms for good trail feel but insulated on top to block the wind and trap in the heat.
    IPA will save America

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    For dry cold days I usually wear a lightweight pair of Capo fleece gloves underneath my regular XC gloves (favorite is the Specialized XC Lite). For wet days I am still experimenting, as most of the “rain” gloves sacrifice too much grip and brake feel and don’t really work for me. My next attempt is going to be some uninsulated thin gloves with a Gore layer that should keep out the wind and wet.

My son has an awesome pair of Castelli cold weather/rain gloves but he won’t let me use them (smart kid) and they make too many models so I haven’t been able to find another pair of the right ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    good timing.

On one run at Downieville, my hands froze. I blame it for my unplanned getoff.

It'll be cool to find a glove that is totally stealth/thin on the palms for good trail feel but insulated on top to block the wind and trap in the heat.
    chemical boot heaters, put them on your handlebar and grap them with your hands. They are warm
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I actually like my Bergamo gloves as long as it's dry. I used to use them solely for the road, but last winter I started using them for mountain and they kept my fingers much warmer.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pearl Izumi wind-blocker/cool-weather gloves are great. Any thicker and bike handling gets seriously compromised.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    If it's THAT cold I wear Outdoor Research PL400 because it's what I have. They actually ride ok, but I wouldn't wear them often as they'll get thrashed. I use them sparingly camping, or casually in cold weather.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    $22 amazon gloves. INBIKE Men's Windproof Reflective... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXNXS48?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
    Wore them 29 mins for commute home in NH 38 degrees, never even thoight about my hands. BUT, i dont get cold hands much.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I just wear my regular full-finger gloves most of the time. If it's colder than normal I bust out these: https://www.amazon.com/12-PAIRS-MAGI.../dp/B003W5HJUE and wear them over my normal gloves. They saved me years ago on a Sedona Christmas trip. You might not think you need 12 pairs, but they make great stocking stuffers.

#magicallydelicious
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Sensus grips

fc
    So yesterday, I discovered I had a pair of new Specialized Enduro gloves. They were so awesome!!!! Light palm, insulated/protected top. Tight!

Then I lost one last night at Saratoga Gap lot. I might have to go back there. Grrr.....
    IPA will save America

EAT MORE GRIME
    PI cyclones are my favs

any colder than 32 then pi cyclones under pogies
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    North Face Windwall gloves for me. Dense fleece that breathes. Not MTB-industry approved.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Fox legacy moto gloves..

fc
    found some amazing, amazing gloves

Leatt DBX 2.0 Windblock. - thin, very stury palm pad with lots of feel. insulated, wind-proof top with a couple vent holes. A few rides already.Winter MTB gloves...for Nor Cal non-snow conditions? What do you use?-pa270238.jpg
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    found some amazing, amazing gloves

Leatt DBX 5.0. - thin, very stury palm pad with lots of feel. insulated, wind-proof top with a couple vent holes. A few rides already.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA270238.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	291.2 KB 
ID:	1222809
    No smart threads for touch screens - or are they stealth/integrated?

mtbr member
    Funny how Leatt went from a very, very serious company making special race car neck braces, to THE SCIENCE OF THRILL selling clothes. Sort of like Abercrombie and Fitch.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Funny how Leatt went from a very, very serious company making special race car neck braces, to THE SCIENCE OF THRILL selling clothes. Sort of like Abercrombie and Fitch.
    heyyyyy, Leatt is really, really good. It's pretty crazy how they can take something like a knee pad, or jersey and improve on it.

The problem with neck braces... few use them for biking these days.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    No smart threads for touch screens - or are they stealth/integrated?
    touch screen compatible. Here's the top... wind barriers, a little knuckle protection and vents

https://www.leatt.com/shop/bike/ridi...lock-ruby.html
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    touch screen compatible. Here's the top... wind barriers, a little knuckle protection and vents

https://www.leatt.com/shop/bike/ridi...lock-ruby.html
    Multi-row technical thread stitching - check!

mtbr member
    Hola fc---how did the Leatt glove sizing work for you? Do they run true to size? small? large? My hand circumference comes to 8.5 inches---which indicates that a size medium should work. However, when trying on a different model of Leatt gloves a few years ago, I seem to remember that the size large felt better. Do you have any sizing advice for these gloves?

Go faster!
    Giro D'wool MTB Gloves

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Hola fc---how did the Leatt glove sizing work for you? Do they run true to size? small? large? My hand circumference comes to 8.5 inches---which indicates that a size medium should work. However, when trying on a different model of Leatt gloves a few years ago, I seem to remember that the size large felt better. Do you have any sizing advice for these gloves?
    I'm a classic medium with thin hands, long fingers.

I'm wearing medium Leatts and they're perfect. The feel tight initially but that's the idea these days to get a perfect fit. This and the new Specialized Enduro gloves don't have wrist straps and are hard to put on at first but they are perfect!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Thx fc!

Not helpful.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/cold-w...rge-96612.html

Winter MTB gloves...for Nor Cal non-snow conditions? What do you use?-image_20759.jpg

Whoops. Never mind, some of the reviews are pretty scathing.

After leaving my similar looking "Ironclad" brand winter work gloves at the hockey rink last month, I saw these at HF and figured I'd give them a shot. As other reviewers have mentioned, the inner lining is not attached to the shell, so you need to hold the fingertips when removing the gloves to avoid pulling the lining out. Also, the non-skid material used in these gloves is very stiff, and completely covers the crudely shaped fingertips. Combined with the loose inner lining, it's very difficult to manipulate any small objects with these gloves on - nearly impossible to pick up a sheetrock screw, push the buttons on the heater in your car, or even open a folded pair of glasses. Seriously, you might as well be wearing mittens. Also, the velcro on the adjustable wrist straps is backwards. The hooks face outward, and catch on nearly anything that's at all fuzzy. But the worst part is that wearing these gloves is like wearing plastic bags on your hands. 20 minutes of snow shoveling on Thursday left the inner lining totally drenched - from sweat on the inside, not water from the outside. After leaving them inside the house for the weekend, on Monday they were *still* wet inside. They are completely non-breathable and, in my opinion, not suitable for any sort of physical activity. When they are dry, they are warm, so maybe if you spend a lot of time standing around in the cold, don't plan to exert yourself and don't use your hands for much anything, these would be the gloves for you! But my advice is to spend $10-15 more and get a pair of better-designed gloves.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Has anyone tried neoprene gloves like coldwater divers use? I'd think they'd by quite good for cold-weather biking.
    I'm a fair-weather rider. I only need gloves for shoveling and snowblowing (electric gloves and insoles are on order for this year's comfort :-)

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    https://www.harborfreight.com/cold-w...rge-96612.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_20759.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1222915

Whoops. Never mind, some of the reviews are pretty scathing.
    Yeah man, recommend some stuff you can vouch for.

Anyway, I would really, really advice against using heavy construction or mechanic's gloves. While they can be found at a bargain and they last long, they usually don't fit well.

And most important, you can't feel the bars or the trail very well.

This is one of the great advances of today, where you have thin but durable palm material where you can feel your traction and what's going on with your bike. We only have three points of bike contact, pedal/seat/grips and grips are the most important part.

Luckily, folks are starting to make better gloves now. Things to look for:
    - feel
    - knuckle protection
    - touch screen compatible
    - brake lever traction strips
    - knuckle protection
    - ventilation and/or wind/cold insulation
    - and you want a glove that is a perfect fit in a half-closed position, not hand wide open.
    - durable
    - affordable
    - strap, no strap preference
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    Has anyone tried neoprene gloves like coldwater divers use? I'd think they'd by quite good for cold-weather biking.
    I'm a fair-weather rider. I only need gloves for shoveling and snowblowing (electric gloves and insoles are on order for this year's comfort :-)
    That doesn't work around here. Can't feel the trail or brake levers. And they don't ventilate, so your hands start sweating pretty quickly.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    If you really want to ride in freezing weather I would think the Kuiu Attack or Guide gloves would be pretty good. They are made for maximum dexterity in shooting/hunting, while maintaining warmth and toughness in freezing conditions; which should translate to pretty good mountain bike gloves.

I have used these gloves, but not for mountain biking as they would be far too warm. I don't usually ride if it's less than 40F.

https://www.kuiu.com/camo-hunting-gl...ove/80002.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have a pair of 661 Storm Gloves that I've had for over a decade that I may need to replace soon after all these years. I've worn them for rides down in the upper 20's and they've kept my hands from freezing.

mtbr member
    Outdoor Research Sensor gloves for anything below 50 degrees. These gloves are not cycling specific.

Elitest thrill junkie
    -Thick gloves=sweating and poor bike control and eventually/often cold fingers while the palm stays warm.
    -Thin gloves=cold all around when it starts getting chilly, unless you are climbing hard, but descents absolutely kill you.
    -Thin gloves with windblocker=pretty damn good for everything down to pretty cool temps.
    -Thin gloves with windblocker and some chem foot-heaters to grab=good for pretty much anything most people are going to try outside of straight snow/ice riding.

In subfreezing temps, pogies and thin gloves, because bike control is far better with thin gloves, you can roll them up when your hands get too warm so then it's just your gloves.