Willow Creek & Sonoma Coast Riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Willow Creek & Sonoma Coast Riding?

Its been decided that I'll be going camping with my girlfriend and her 4 year old this weekend near Bodega Bay. I'm hoping to sneak off for a bit and find some dirt to ride.

I see there's about 20 miles worth of trails listed on Trail Forks in the "Willow Creek" area, but apparently you need to attend an orientation (none are scheduled) before you can receive a permit to enter the preserve.

My questions are:

1) Anyone have any experience to share RE: the Willow Creek area and it's permit system?
    2) Any suggested rides in Willow Creek area?
    3) Are there any other areas near Bodega Bay worth exploring?

Thanks all!

-Win

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    You do not need a permit to ride Willow Creek/Islands in The Sky, anymore. Download and print a Trailmap of the area and beware that the neighboring property is private and owned by Mendocino Forest Products.

I'll be out there on Sunday morning and available to ride, if you wish. PM me for contact information.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    How was your weekend/ride? Trail conditions? Any advice on lodging or camping?
    Iíve been eyeing Willow Creek for a while but havenít heard any recent first-hand reports apart from Erginís great website (but thatís a few years old).
    Hope you had a great time!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I ride Willow Creek every couple of weeks. It's not a huge area and the climb in from Freeze Out Road is pretty daunting, but there are some worthy trails back there. Just be careful not to stray off onto the adjacent private property (which is mostly well marked).
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by glenj View Post
    How was your weekend/ride? Trail conditions? Any advice on lodging or camping?
    Iíve been eyeing Willow Creek for a while but havenít heard any recent first-hand reports apart from Erginís great website (but thatís a few years old).
    Hope you had a great time!
    Bad on me for not following up. We decided not to go to Bodega Bay after all--instead were able to get a site at Sugarloaf Ridge in Sonoma (near Kenwood). For those unaware, Sugarloaf has some solid car-camping very near Annadel and even nearer to Sugarloaf ridge trails (Godspeed), and there are plenty of local wineries to checkout nearby if that's your thing--local wine goes well with smores. Great lil bikey-campy-winey weekend adventure.

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    Sounds like a good time was had by all!
    Iím not a wine drinker, but Iím sure thereís a hazy IPA with my name on it somewhere in that region.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I ride Willow Creek every couple of weeks. It's not a huge area and the climb in from Freeze Out Road is pretty daunting, but there are some worthy trails back there. Just be careful not to stray off onto the adjacent private property (which is mostly well marked).
    Appreciate the input!
    I loathe starting a ride with a bitch of a climb before Iím warmed up, but sometimes thatís just how it goes. Oh well!
    As Iíd be driving from the South Bay, Iím weighing options on whether to:
    Make it a day trip
    Try for lodging nearby (AirBnb, cheap motel, etc)
    Get a campsite & pitch a tent (something Iíd rather not do for just 1 night)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by glenj View Post
    Thanks!
    Sounds like a good time was had by all!
    Iím not a wine drinker, but Iím sure thereís a hazy IPA with my name on it somewhere in that region.
    Henhouse