Why I ride- Mtbr.com

Thread: Why I ride

mtbr member

Why I ride

A nice tribute to the guy who got him into riding. All on some NorCal trails. I have never ridden these trails, but I understand how riding has changed over the past 30 years. The trails I ride now are so much more fun than the fire roads I started on.

Made me go back to my first mountain bike ride in 1987(?) I don't think I had any particular influence other than my love for bikes that went back to the first time I rode. The road that my cousin lived on dead ended at thge Fall Creek section of Henry Cowell SP. We used to ride our BMX bikes in there before "No Bikes" signs were around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Sweet, Thanks for sharing your Uncle Dennis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly mac View Post
    Sweet, Thanks for sharing your Uncle Dennis
    Not my video, but I found it to be inspiring.

mtbr member
    I was always a BMX kid growing up as most kids in the 80's. Just as I was in middle school my mom started dating a guy that was into mountain biking. They bought me a 50lb monster from Montgomery Wards. I rode BMX all week with my buddies and mtb on the weekend with a bunch of guys in their 30's and 40's. Little did I know that was the beginning of something I'd do for the rest of my life. Nowadays I'm too stingy to spend $15 on a hat from Target but for some reason have no issues paying $600 on a new fork.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    I was always a BMX kid growing up as most kids in the 80's. Just as I was in middle school my mom started dating a guy that was into mountain biking. They bought me a 50lb monster from Montgomery Wards. I rode BMX all week with my buddies and mtb on the weekend with a bunch of guys in their 30's and 40's. Little did I know that was the beginning of something I'd do for the rest of my life. Nowadays I'm too stingy to spend $15 on a hat from Target but for some reason have no issues paying $600 on a new fork.
    I'm betting we had the same Montgomery Wards bike, was it yellow? I remember my Dad buying a StumpJumper in the 80's and then my brother and I got those Montgomery Wards bikes. I was so pissed. I wanted a BMX so bad because all my friends had them. Then I actually started riding trails and the rest is history.

mtbr member
    I honestly can't remember what color it was. I ended up riding it until a few days before the warranty was up. I took it back to the store, got their money back, and put it down on a new Giant ATX 760. It took me a few months to mow enough lawns and get birthday and xmas money to finish paying it off. Back when shops would do layaway. I remember being soooooo stoked about that bike. I had a Mongoose bmx bike. That took a paper route and working at a pizza shop for $20 a day.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One