Who's Ridden Pleasanton Ridge??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Who's Ridden Pleasanton Ridge??

rode it yesterday. rode up to the top (1500 ft) on ridgeline, found some of the climbs to be pretty tough but maybe that's just me!! i read a bunch of the reviews who said it was a pretty easy ride, and while it's not very technical (except in a couple of spots) the climbing is no picnic. so i'd say you have to be in decent shape if you are going all the way to the top. also i did not see any legal singletrack trails, maybe they were past where i turned down.

curious what others think of this trail....

Ride what you want!!
    As trails go, it's one of the few trails within an hour drive of my house.. That makes it one of the closest trails. I've been there twice, and have no plans on going back. It's not that it's a hard place to ride, but I'd rather drive 45 minutes further and hit singletrack.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Have to agree...

I live about 15-20 minutes away and have only ridden it 4 or 5 times myself. No shade, no singletrack, but plenty of dusty and rutted fireroads. I keep hearing there's singletrack there but have yet to see anything legal.

I may give The Ridge one more shot since someone here posted info about a weekly group ride (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=27479). It actually sounded a little interesting and maybe I just need a guide to show me where the fun is.

Old School

I ride there about once a week....

All year long, and for about the last fifteen years

It's one of the closest places for me to ride.

Agreed, it lacks in technical challenge -- but does provide adequate opportunity to climb

There are a couple of different ways to enter the park. So there are a few ways to mix things up to keep from getting bored. There are two pieces of legal singletrack near the far north end of the park, starting at the bottom of Sinbad Canyon. The singletrack follows a series of switchbacks from the canyon bottom, east, and back up to the Ridgeline. Then the switchbacks continue north and west, back down to the bottom of Sinbad Canyon to another series of fire roads. The two pieces combined are probably about two - three miles total. They were developed to get around a land owner who refused to sell his land to the park. His land was at the bottom of Sinbad Canyon, and separated park land to the south from park land to the north. Since then, the land owner has been squeezed out, and his property at the bottom of Sinbad Canyon is now open and part of the park. It's one of the only legal singletracks in all of the East Bay Regional Park District parks that I am aware of.
    If you start from the staging area on Foothill and plan to do the singletrack, plan on being out there for a good while and be in the mood for a good workout.

You can easily ride there for 3 hours and close to 20 miles if you're in the mood.

True, it's mostly fire rd., but parts of the park are beautiful. I'm glad to have it near by.

SS Madness

Try it at Night!

Just rode it the other night at 10 PM...was a whole new experience...WATCH OUT FOR SKUNKS! and deer, and chipamonks, and gnomes!

May 2004

Grind, grind, grind...

that's my impression. Sunscreen is totally a must, not much shade from
    Foothill trail head. Water is a must, 1 liter per hour is a good guideline.

If you are a Pleasanton resident, you can get into Augustin Bernal Park,
    from Golden Eagle road (west entrance) you need to show proof if you're in
    a car. If you're on a bike, you can get into the park via the sidewalk, don't
    bug the guard, he's busy, just go around. Then, heaven help you on the
    road climb up to the park, it's brutal in the sun/heat.

Once you get to the park, you get a nice winding and shady climb to the
    top. Almost worth the grind up the paved road. Again, lot's of water and
    sunscreen for the pigment challenged.

At the top you're about in the middle of the park, don't know much about
    the way north, south is not much shade & fireroad all the way to Foothill trailhead.

pewpewpew Moderator
    During the winter months I was riding Pleasanton Ridge weekly with some friends early in the mornings (once was down to 29 degrees! brr!)
    so the heat factor is unknown to me. There is one legal ST that I experienced. I mainly went because friends were riding there.

I like briones better, its just as much climbing - i think the climbs at briones are much steeper but at least some of it is shaded, and its not a long drive.