Who's hard core?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Who's hard core?

Rode home today in the pooring rain. Same thing last Friday. Anyone else nutty enough to be riding in this weather? Rim breaks in the rain = living on the edge...

My gloves stink
    You are.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I don't care what it does tomorrow. I am riding my new SC Superlight. Just finished the build a couple hours ago So, it will probably hail softballs, but I am goin'!!!

What would Pimpbot do?
    Love the wet rim breaks

Squeeze lever
    Nothing
    Nothing
    Nothing
    Uh-oh
    Screech! (at least that's what my V-brakes sound like)
    Phew!

Did motorists give you at least 3 feet?
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." - D.H. Lawrence

err, 27.5+
    Yeah, got in about an hour this afternoon in Santa Cruz. Worked out okay because the trails we rode are best in the rain (sandy/sand stone trails). We got a bit soggy, but nothing to complain about. We were more off gaurd by the fact that the storm clouds had it getting too dark to see about 30 minutes earlier than expected. We were definitely laughing and starting to bounce off of trees and bushes by the end due to poor lighting. Roots, rocks, and wet leaves are slick out there, so pay attention

dcubed
    I rode in the down pur on sat. I admit, in heavy rain I stick to bike paths. So I am semi-core

Silence! I kill you!
    Now that school has started I don't ride as much to work since I need my camera gear & laptop for work, but then I need to bring it home so I can take it to school the next day.

Today though I am planning on riding up Metcalf and around to Silvercreek rd to get some miles & climbing in after I get out of school around 1
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    The Law is hard core. Hella hard core. Kudos to you for not gettin' in a car.

Me? During the rain yesterday I was sitting on a sofa under a blanket with a purring cat in my lap, so I'm maybe not quite so hard core.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    <----------------- Not hard core

On Saturday, I had a nice fluffy omelet, then went to the mall, then watched some college basketball.... Ooh, I went and played some billiards at night!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    saturday...cx bike up hicks then over mt. sombrosa and down kennedy (windy and wet...blech)....cantilever brakes don't last long when ya descend kennedy in the rain...found out i had no brakes after i blew thru blossom hill intersection wondering why my levers were crunching my fingers

yesterday i listened to the weather man....no rain gear on my motobike....that sux too...stoopid weather man

tonite is 50 miles of flattish roadie nite riding....the lites are a chargin'

personally....i like Plim's sofa ideas....not sure 'bout the cat purring though.....kinda puts some strange images in my knoggin...
    Last edited by CHUM; 02-13-2007 at 09:46 AM.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

ballbuster

One time...

Quote Originally Posted by The Law
    Rode home today in the pooring rain. Same thing last Friday. Anyone else nutty enough to be riding in this weather? Rim breaks in the rain = living on the edge...
    ... I rode down a descent with my fork locked out.

jrm
    mtbr member

geezus..

Quote Originally Posted by The Law
    be careful. I take it your riding on a class one path or delineated bike lane when your doing that?

Paper or plastic?
    Saturday morning: pancakes
    Saturday afternoon: snow ball fight with my kids
    Saturday evening: steak sandwich, lamb chops, and some smores
    Sunday morning: craisin pancakes, then more snow ball fight with my kids, then tried to teach the younger one to snowboard, then teach the older one to ski, then some sledding
    Sunday afternoon: more meat, although I might have accidentally eaten some vegetables (a moment of inattention I'm sure).

This week: I'm on diet. Props to the Law for her mad winter riding skillz.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    I am hardcore:

I rode home from work yesterday in the pouring rain. No rainjacket, just a fleece. The water soaked up and added a few pounds of weight.

Then again, all that drinking overseas has me a few pounds heavier these days.

mtbr member
    Once I am out riding in the rain I am good to go till my hands and feet freeze up. It's always a psychological thing of just starting a ride when it's pouring rain, but once you are going and if you can stay warm it can be fun. ,

They do say it might be in the 70's this weekend
    Last edited by jeffh; 02-13-2007 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member

Plan B

It was raining hard here in north San Jose, so I used Plan B. I rode a half mile to the nearest lightrail stop. By then I was soaked, so I discreetly changed back into my dry street clothes. I took the lightrail to Mountain View, and was going to take Caltrain one stop to Sunnyvale, where I live, but the next train wasn't for another 50 minutes. So I went to Tied House and drank a couple of IPAs. By then the rain had stopped. Not a bad commute after all.

Outrageously happy
    I rode on Sunday evening from Saratoga Gap to Stegner's Bench. Beautiful clouds and sunset. I got pretty muddy and I definintely took it easy. I had to dismount half a dozen times. Monday lunchtime I got a ride in at St. Joe's hill. Again, very pretty and slightly muddy. I'd hardly consider myself hardcore, just opportunistic.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer

Spelling Police!

Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Props to the Law for her mad winter riding skillz.
    The proper spelling is "skilz." Please make a note of it.

I believe you are confusing the modern word "skilz" with the anachronistic word "skills," which is the plural of "skill."
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Let's ride
    See, and you guys fell for Plim saying he's not the new Mod.

I'm way NOT hardcore. I like quiche and moonlit nights on the beach sipping Irish coffees.

Riding down a trail with the fork locked out is just crazy. I can't even fathom datt.

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    .....I'm way NOT hardcore. I like quiche and moonlit nights on the beach sipping Irish coffees....
    lies....terrible..terrible lies......didn't you go to some sort of school on saturday
    Last edited by CHUM; 02-13-2007 at 11:13 AM.

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker

Here, this should help....

...you visualize what it's like!

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Riding down a trail with the fork locked out is just crazy. I can't even fathom datt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

Let's ride
    it just looks like my fork, but 3 pounds heavier.

I get it now.

It's always greener
    Quote Originally Posted by J
    I am hardcore:

I rode home from work yesterday in the pouring rain. No rainjacket, just a fleece. The water soaked up and added a few pounds of weight.

Then again, all that drinking overseas has me a few pounds heavier these days.

It's gret to see you back! welcome to the USofA.

Ground Pounder

Studded Tires

Upstate NY - November through Feburary - 35 mile commute one way - żbike lane what? - studded 700x35s - carrying 25ish lbs of computer and clothes - uphill, both ways with sharks. I still say the hardcore people are the ones that spun up their trainers for hours in the winter. I would do anythign to avoid that beast!

But that was before I became a Californian. I still do commute in the rain, but not every day. I'm so non-hardcore now that I'll occasionally slap the rear fender on the MTB.
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

Too Much Fun

MellowCore

I got a road ride last weekend. Did the Paradise Loop in the rain. Wet. Fun. It was a ride. I'll take what I can get.

My shoes are still moist.
    - -benja- -

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim
    The proper spelling is "skilz." Please make a note of it.

I believe you are confusing the modern word "skilz" with the anachronistic word "skills," which is the plural of "skill."
    Man, y0 da 5h1znit!!
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Going to......................................

................................................Ft . Ord via the D.O.D lot..............................................
    Now.

- Gotta break in the RIP9.

Ohhh yeahhh, it's NOT raining here and that makes me NOT hardcore.
    Last edited by DMFT; 02-13-2007 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM

tonite is 50 miles of flattish roadie nite riding....the lites are a chargin'
    Where do you ride 50 miles at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Zignzag
    Where do you ride 50 miles at night?
    from my front door (near Oakridge mall):

Blossom Hill to Almaden (I take some weird connector stuff though)
    Almaden to Harry to McKean
    McKean to Uvas
    Uvas to Watsonville rd.
    Watsonville rd to Sycamore
    Sycamore to Oak Glen
    Oak Glen back to Uvas
    Uvas back to McKean
    McKean back To Almaden
    Almaden to Blossom Hill
    Blossom Hill to Home

You can also throw in Llagas, Willow Springs and Bailey if ya get creative and want to climb a little...but they're tiny climbs

And actually it's only 48.5 miles....and it's about 1500' total ascent....flat as a pancake brother

jms
    mtbr member

I'm a creampuff

Hardcore? Nope, I'm a "Creampuff". Come July anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Hardcore? Nope, I'm a "Creampuff". Come July anyway.
    Yea Baby, here's to the dinosaurs killing it

Less yappin, more Brappin

... and if we just ...

It was nice and dry and sunny up in Emerald Hills yesterday (Mon) as I got ready to ride over to Waterdog to do some loops. As I got down the hill to the climb up Club Drive, It started coming down hard and cold. I was already at the bottom of the hill about to start a monster climb with a 34/25 granny ( ) so I decided to just keep going, I was already wet.

Once I got to the Dog, it wasnt too bad. I rode all the singletrack loops, mostly in the trees. There was mud, it was cold, but the mud was too wet to stick to anything. I really could have used a fender because my glasses became ineffective after about 100yds on the first downhill. I was on my Spooky hardtail with V-brakes, braking efficiency was allright. I knew where I needed to have good braking, so I would intentionally drag the brakes beforehand so as to heat up the pad, clean off the rim, and improve the braking somewhat.

Either way, it was nice to get out on the bike after being cooped up all week. Trail damage seemed minimal from riding in the muck.

And as I said before, it was nice when I left. It just turned [email protected] when I got out there.

another bozo on the bus
    I not as core as the rest of you. Nor Cal is only good for a couple of months of enjoyable riding. Too cold and wet now to be out on the bike and come May or June, it will be far too hot to ride. I did dust off the bike on Sunday and had to break out the tights, wool socks, lobster claws and goretex, for it was a frigid 65 degrees here in Sac. Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0