Who uses a neti pot?- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Who uses a neti pot?

I've used it before but it's been awhile. But this allergy season is significant and I'm thinking of taking up again.

Grass allergies are my enemy and the grass seeds are about to explode in the coming week.

Who's in to it? Pros, cons? How often?

I use Claritin and Allegra otherwise but they are making me so groggy.
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass
    Use it but only with distilled water. Don't even wash it with tap water. It's wonderful for keeping sinus infections at bay.

Have you looked into allergy shots? They helped me considerably when I in NorCal.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

mtbr member
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    I used one when I had bad sinus issue and found it very effective. Horrible to use but yeah, it worked well.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I donít, I donít.
    Who uses a neti pot?-ade9f2e7-3d96-45e9-9e8a-9b5a0a9d1131.png
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

I'm really diggin it!
    Some lady died because she pushed a brain eating amoeba into her brain using one.

Iíll just blow my nose, since I donít own surgical sterilization equipment...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I need my brain too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Make sure you don't get one that's been recalled:
    https://www.theonion.com/25-000-neti...-to-1826486714

Moderator Moderator
    I can fire a snot rocket from a moving mountain bike about 20 feet with great precision.

fc
    brain eating bacteria ftw! It survived the distilling process?

I heard this happened in the east coast where they using tap water, with brain eating bacteria.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Although it has been a while, I own and use one. Mostly on days when the sinus pressure won't go away.

For me it is more useful when I'm stuffy, unlike those that say they will simply blow their nose.

It is definitely a weird feeling, but I do feel better after the fact.

I was asked by a doctor to try it a number of years back when I had a sinus infection.
    It's important to use the salt too, water itself will burn the heck out of you!!

mtbr member
    No Neti pot unless you are religious in your routine for cleanliness. The hands down best allergy medicine is Benadryl. Take two AT BEDTIME and get the most effective allergy relief out there and it double duties as a sleep aid and slight food allergy buffer. Also good for those of us with EO. Next up, if you have bad allergies like me, do a Zyrtec nightly. Zyrtec has been proven far and away the best allergy medicine (Unique mode of mechanism). If youíre REALLY bad, like me, also get a prescription for generic Flonase. Take it all at night and you will be on *almost* full dose mostly OTC allergy regime. The next step is steroid inhalers for both your throat and lungs which have serious side effects. After that is biologics which I donít recommend unless you are in the life/death allergy scenario.

/biochemist out
    Last edited by roughster; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:59 PM.
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

Flat Pluto Society
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Nobody
    I don't use the pot because when my allergies are really bad, I need some force. I use the nasal rinse squeeze bottle and am very careful with how much pressure I use. I only use it occasionally (maybe once a month or so) and I always use distilled water with the little saline powder pack from the same brand. I bought a box of 100 of them years ago.

If you don't use distilled water, it can be very painful depending on what minerals and chemicals are in your tap water.

I also heat the water to luke warm for comfort. I don't if nasal rinse really helps me, but I like the idea of being able to flush out the passage.

I went through allergy shots about 7 years ago and quit after about 6 months because my work travel made impossible to keep up the weekly schedule. However, I got a good solid 5 years of relief from the shots. My allergy doctor admitted that only about 60% of patients actually get noticeable relief. I also had a couple full on attacks immediately after shots because they are always upping the dosage to build your tolerance and sometimes you will react.

As for grogginess, you need to experiment with different available pills. I have found that Claritin gave me sleepless nights, clarinex made me drowsy, but Zirtec, if taken daily, is a huge help to my seasonal allergies and I seem to have no side affects from it. Nasal steroidal sprays just trigger sneezing fits for me so it never has a chance to work.

I would suggest meeting with allergy doctors until you find one that is interested in finding "YOUR" solution. Many of them just want to give you 8 different prescriptions, hoping that something will work. I have no interest in that!

I truly wish you good luck because I have had many miserable years of allergy suffering and it can really affect your ability to enjoy life when it gets bad.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    No Neti pot unless you are religious in your routine for cleanliness. The hands down best allergy medicine is Benadryl. Take two AT BEDTIME and get the most effective allergy relief out there and it double duties as a sleep aid and slight food allergy buffer. Also good for those of us with EO. Next up, if you have bad allergies like me, do a Zyrtec nightly. Zyrtec has been proven far and away the best allergy medicine (non-Antihistamine-based). If youíre REALLY bad, like me, also get a prescription for generic Flonase. Take it all at night and you will be on *almost* full dose mostly OTC allergy regime. The next step is steroid inhalers for both your throat and lungs which have serious side effects. After that is biologics which I donít recommend unless you are in the life/death allergy scenario.

/biochemist out
    What do you mean in regard to 'routine cleanliness'.

fc
    Thank you roughster and shamus. Golden info for me and others
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i use the NeilMed bottle, go ride on a dusty day and watch the junk that comes out after

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I use one when I have a cold or sinus infection. I have not tired it for my allergies. I think I would have to use it a number of times a day.... just using a saline spray may be better.

My allergies have been super bad this year and I have been using the Costco branded version of Flonase, which is way cheaper then the brand-name stuff. It seems to be working, most days.

Good luck with the allergies, hopefully the pollen goes away soon!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    i use the NeilMed bottle, go ride on a dusty day and watch the junk that comes out after
    I like that one. Super easy to use. They seem to want you to dispose of it pretty frequently which is not cool. More revenue maybe.
    IPA will save America

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts

Bam! Just like that.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I like that one. Super easy to use. They seem to want you to dispose of it pretty frequently which is not cool. More revenue maybe.
    Thatís what I use. Had the same bottle for over 10 years. Iíd only replace it if it was lost.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

I'm really diggin it!
    brain eating bacteria ftw! It survived the distilling process?

I heard this happened in the east coast where they using tap water, with brain eating bacteria.
    Tap water but Iíve seen more recent cases

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-water-warning

Trail Gnome
    I've used it before but it's been awhile. But this allergy season is significant and I'm thinking of taking up again.

Grass allergies are my enemy and the grass seeds are about to explode in the coming week.

Who's in to it? Pros, cons? How often?

I use Claritin and Allegra otherwise but they are making me so groggy.
    Why would someone use this???

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Hypersensitivity to crap in the air we breathe here in Sillycorn Valet. I have been hocking loogies since I was 9 years old, not quite asthmatic, but my respiratory system is really sensitive; in the past 15 years I have been in overdrive loogie-hocking modeÖ the neti pot seems to help.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

fc
    29er fans, duh...
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    What do you mean in regard to 'routine cleanliness'.
    Itís not *just* using distilled water. You have to ensure the neti pot is clean and dries quickly / stored appropriately or you will get microbiological growth. Thatís just a fact. Introducing microbes into one of the shortest pathways to your brain is not usually a good idea especially if you are immunocompromised.

I am not saying they canít be used successfully or appropriately. I just highly doubt the ability of the average American to do so safely and successfully.
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

jrm
    mtbr member
    Flonase, Benadryl (no more than one a night) , and breath right strips. It also helps a lot to clean your screens, keep windows colsed or only partially open and i also hose off the side of the house...

orthonormal
    I use it when I have a cold because it works. I can't take decongestants that actually help due to blood pressure issues.

Regarding Neti Pot vs. squeeze bottle, the bottle is more effective but is more likely to cause "surfer drip" later in the day.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use one when my allergies start to kick in -- like right now!

I got tired of the mess of the traditional Neti Pot so I went crazy and battery powered. This one is the best I have used so far. Pushes the solution up one side and applies a very slight vacuum on the other side. The used solution goes into a storage tank on the bottom of the unit rather than splashing all over the counter. The down-side is that they sell their own custom solution pods but there are simple tricks to get around it and mix your own solution.

Link:
    https://www.hammacher.com/product/po...iABEgIl9vD_BwE

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    29er fans, duh...
    Who uses a neti pot?-yetidirtcrop.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I had some pretty serious sinus issues a few years ago. Two sinus surgeries later & the doctors tell me that my cilia have been permanently damaged and I need to do nasal rinses on a daily basis...

I started with the neilmed bottles & still use those (with distilled water) when traveling. A few years ago, I bought a sinupulse which gives superior results. It's been going strong for over 3 years. I use SF tap water, through a brita filter and boiled since I rinse every morning.
    https://sinupulse.com/

If you do the rinsing on the regular, you get used to it and it doesn't seem so crazy, awkward, uncomfortable/drowning. I don't even think much about it anymore, wake up, brush teeth, rinse nose.

Two positives - 1) allergies are much reduced - if it's really bad you can rinse in the evening too, especially after a ride, 2) I almost never get colds any more - I've only had two colds in the 3.5 years that I've been rinsing daily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Some lady died because she pushed a brain eating amoeba into her brain using one.

Iíll just blow my nose, since I donít own surgical sterilization equipment...

I used the prepackaged sterilized pressurized water cans. It generates waste but I don't them often. I might use 1-2 cans a year. It's worth it for me to not give myself brain eating bacteria. A few companies sell the cans.

My wife was using he Neil Med bottle which you fill up hot water and their secret salt. She stopped cleaning it out very well. Then she got messed up.

I feel bad about the extra waste. I have a weaker immune system for some other reasons, it's not worth the risk for me at this point. Also, I'm aware I'll never survive the apocalypse.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Only used the squeeze bottle method. Used to use the NeilMed packets and now use Xlear. Need to re-up. One is saline and the other is saline/xylitol.

Does it work? I figure it can't hurt, but won't do it more than once a day. Have used it in conjunction with just about every other pill, spray and inhaler imaginable.

I boil my water and let it chill back down to mildly warm. Longer process, obviously.

Trail Gnome
    29er fans, duh...
    I suppose thatís accurate I ride with a couple guys on 29ers, and theyíre pretty weird dudes but, I havenít seen them with one of those contraptions yet. How often do you use this? Do you take it on rides? Put one in yer fanny pack, and break it out at the top of the climb. Juice up your nose hole and pin it

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I've had sinus issues all of my adult life, likely due to a combination of allergies and exposure to various irritants in my hobbies (lots of dust, solvents, etc.). As such, I experience chronic symptoms and routine infections if I do nothing. To prevent this, I use the squeeze bottles with saline or saline/sodium bicarbonate blend. If I rinse on a daily basis, my sinuses stay healthy and symptom-free.

While I do not wish to die by brain-eating amoeba, it's kinda low on the list of things I worry about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've used a neti pot for years and it's great during allergy & cold season or any time I like to breath better. Distilled water and you can boil the water too if your worried (just let it cool before you pour it )
    I add 10 drops of liquid iodine to 150ml of water split between both nostrils.

Sure you could infect your brain if your water sucks but can you find me more cases of that occurring than people being killed riding bikes?

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Use it but only with distilled water. Don't even wash it with tap water....

What!!??!! Not beer?
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    What!!??!! Not beer?
    Only if it has a very high APV

Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    I've used a neti pot for years and it's great during allergy & cold season or any time I like to breath better. Distilled water and you can boil the water too if your worried (just let it cool before you pour it )
    I add 10 drops of liquid iodine to 150ml of water split between both nostrils.

Sure you could infect your brain if your water sucks but can you find me more cases of that occurring than people being killed riding bikes?
    There's way higher odds of getting killed by bike, or by toothbrush.

Thanks for the share.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Ok, I did the neti just now. Perfect. Took 30 seconds and I feel so much better. Didn't expect instant relief but I've got it. For now.

How often should I do this?

Got my setup now too right by the sink. Ceramic pot, gallon of distilled, Nielmed salt packets
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Ok, I did the neti just now. Perfect. Took 30 seconds and I feel so much better. Didn't expect instant relief but I've got it. For now.

How often should I do this?

Got my setup now too right by the sink. Ceramic pot, gallon of distilled, Nielmed salt packets
    GoPro video, chest mount?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    GoPro video, chest mount?
    Doing the edit now. Dropping at 8am tomorrow.
    IPA will save America

Captain Trail Head
    Dude, the pot is good. Yes, keep it clean and yes, use distilled water. But the relief is real and immediate.

Sinus infection coming on? Neti pot does the trick.

Allergies on fire? Get the mega nose blow after a neti pot session.

Weird for sure, but I'm over it. I've been weird all my life, LoL...
    ďEverything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.Ē
    -John Lennon

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by lars@thc View Post
    Dude, the pot is good. Yes, keep it clean and yes, use distilled water. But the relief is real and immediate.

Sinus infection coming on? Neti pot does the trick.

Allergies on fire? Get the mega nose blow after a neti pot session.

Weird for sure, but I'm over it. I've been weird all my life, LoL...
    "mega nose blow"

Yup! INCOMING!!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    This morning... Iím breathing soooo much better. Like I got my pipes cleaned. Havenít felt this in years. Weíll see if it lasts.

A couple bad qualities of the Neri

- does nothing for the allergic eyes

- once in a while, when bending down, random water drops will come down from my nose
    IPA will save America

rj2
    mtbr member
    I use the bottle as it's easier and pressure assisted. In season I use the bottle 3x per week. I took allergy shots for 20+ years before multiple systemic reactions forced me to quit. Now I'm on Flonase and 180 mg generic Allegra. The few times I suffer from itchy eyes, I use any antihistamine eye drops.

Yard work is not an issue and it's great cross training.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

rj2
    mtbr member
    Blow your nose, head down to clear excess water
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2 View Post
    Blow your nose, head down to clear excess water
    I do that.

There are just certain angles, like when my head is almost upside down working on my internal cable routing that there's drip drip.
    IPA will save America

middle ring single track
    I honestly thought somebody was misspelling "Yeti"

Does Yeti make a neti?

Sort of like an enema for the nose.

Yeah...amoeba; could have been in the tap water, could have been from a cyst inhaled from poo-poo dust.

So what's being flushed out of one nostril has been pushed deeper in the other.

I'll stay with the old-fashioned sneeze, thank you.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    I honestly thought somebody was misspelling "Yeti"

Does Yeti make a neti?

Sort of like an enema for the nose.

Yeah...amoeba; could have been in the tap water, could have been from a cyst inhaled from poo-poo dust.

So what's being flushed out of one nostril has been pushed deeper in the other.

I'll stay with the old-fashioned sneeze, thank you.
    Day 2 morning.... really amazing, like I got a transmission flush. Haven't breathed this freely in months.

One good test is to block one nostril and breath deeply 5x. Then switch, do the other. You'll breathe a little more freely and you'll see that one nostril is usually more blocked than the other.

Throat and eyes, I still feel it a bit so you know it's in the air.

Who uses a neti pot?-1-img_5255.jpg
    IPA will save America

middle ring single track
    This has been making the rounds....
    Who uses a neti pot?-39c5b4b783ade02aedff8a84d992a87c.jpg
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Trail Gnome
    Today I tried a neti-pot in my ass...you wouldnít believe the shit that came out...it was disgusting. Iím not sure I like this device...somebody light a match

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Awesome FC glad it worked for you. It is a new type of breathing like I'm getting 30% more air with less effort.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I didn't read through every post but I caught note of 1. Brain eating bacteria, 2. someone dying and 3. Use only distilled H20.

I can definitely attest to the concerns related to those points above. Background... I didn't suffer from allergies until I hit my mid 30s, at which point I discovered the neti pot or squeeze bottle; it definitely helped with allergies, sinus issues, etc.

I always used distilled water, as instructed until a few instances when I ran out and just used tap. I started getting major issues with my sinuses, headaches, upper respiratory, etc. It happened a few times and I made that connection that it had to be the tap water and then did some research and learned why not to use tap. Of recent, my wife also educated me on how the sinus cavity has a "pore" or canal of some short that goes to the brain and if infected can lead to some serious issues (case in point, brain eating bacteria).

Learned my lesson... follows instructions and all is gravy.

fc
    Anyone else try this? Working out very well for me.

Looks like we'll get a new round of allergies too with this impending rain.
    IPA will save America

orthonormal

More PO as well. The price of hero dirt.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I used to use one.. until I read a few of the horror stories.. small chance but scared me off.

What i have found personally, is washing my nose out in shower with cupped hands does same job.. its just that front part of nostril i'm talking about not inhaling the water.

its like a modified neti but not as big a pita and not shoving water up where it may not belong.

you can do in sink as well.. then no distilled water.. no salt ..no pot..etc