I'm usually hungry.

Who’s been to Exchequer Bike Park?

Who’s been to Exchequer Bike Park? A few of us are going for the first time this Sunday, and I am unable to determine the appropriate post-send brew. Given the terrain, the time of year, and the weather forecast, what on earth should we be drinking afterward? I am riding a 150/160 bike, if that helps. It’s mostly blue.

Also, I am curious about your experience(s) there.

Yes, I’ll bring the full-face. I like to huck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Please report back, It looks pretty sweet on BKXC's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCRya8Vdlg4

I'm usually hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    Please report back, It looks pretty sweet on BKXC's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCRya8Vdlg4
    Will do!

BTW, check out the Trail Peek brothers vid. These guys are insanely fast, and hit everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sONKsqig60o&t=131s

ol'guy who says hi &waves

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by the_kman View Post
    Will do!

BTW, check out the Trail Peek brothers vid. These guys are insanely fast, and hit everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sONKsqig60o&t=131s
    WOW, I feel slow and inadequate so humbling to watch those guys!!

I'm usually hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog View Post
    Awesome. Thanks!

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It's basically my backyard. It's a relatively small park, but plenty of stuff to huck. The dirt is primo with the rains we've had.

Regarding post ride refreshments, the park is remote so there is not much close by.

mtbr member
    That place is RAD! I went in the spring and they had 3 trails, now they might have their 4th completed.

It's definitely worth checking out. Trails are all fun. Bring cash for the park entrance fee. You have to pedal a few miles out to the bottom of the hill where the trails are at so I suggest bringing a pack with plenty of water and food and leaving it at the bottom.

160mm is appropriate for out there. But smaller bikes can easily manage the trails.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    I had no idea this existed at all!

I dont mind pedaling, but how is the climb up? Fire road slogs, or enjoyable stuff? Im up that way sort of often, I should give it a go!

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The main climb up is a fire road (called Cramp Up on the map). From the bottom it's about 1.6 miles to the top with about 800 ft of elevation gain. From the top, you have 3.5 choices: Down and Out (fast, flowy, jumpy), Flying Squirrel (steep, techy), Gnarnia (DH double black gnarly), and Dirt Surfer (fast, flow, about half a trail currently). There are some other XC trails at the bottom, but the above are the notable ones. For miles and elevation, just do more laps. I'm told all trails are bidirectional, so you can climb up any trail you want - BUT if you do keep your head up because there will be people bombing down these trails at high rates of speed. Most people climb the fire road.

$8 entry fee at the Barret Cove entrance of Lake McClure. There are showers at the camp grounds if needed.

I'm usually hungry.
    Hey folks, I just wanted to follow up with this post and let you know that we went to Exchequer Bike Park. Sorry for the delay, but traveling and the holidays have kept me pretty busy. I’ll spare you every detail, as info can be found online (MTB Project, Trailforks, Exchequer website and Facebook etc.), but I did put together a little summary of what we found:

1. Rad trails. Awesome rocks. Fantastic dirt. We rode Dirt Surfer, Flying Squirrel (added lower Gnarnia), all of Gnarnia, and finally Down and Out. I loved every trail, but not every trail loved me. =) More on that below. Some locals told us there was a lot more to see, and that the more XC-oriented folks have some nice options as well. As a point of reference, we pedaled around 16 miles and climbed 3,500’ or so. This was 4 full laps, top to bottom.
    2. The locals. The folks we met were really cool. Seriously. We talked to 6 different people who ride there regularly (one of which took lead on building Flying Squirrel), and all were very social, very helpful, and are very psyched about riding. Lots of good vibes, and no “locals only” attitudes.
    3. Good signs and maps. It would be hard to get lost here. There’s an Exchequer website where you can download a pdf (which needs an update), but I never even needed to look at it. I never opened Trailforks, either. From what I gathered, the most common way to do Exchequer is to climb the 800’ fire road called “Cramp Up”, and choose one of a half dozen ways down, all of which have excellent signage. Unless you spend a lot of time huffing rattle cans, navigation shouldn’t be a problem here.
    4. A nice parking area and campground, with bathrooms and water. This place is remote, so bring plenty of food, and whatever else you might want to have during the day.
    5. The views are awesome. Since this trail system predominately exists on wide-open grassy hillsides, the views of the surrounding area are beautiful.

The trails-
    Dirt Surfer: Fast and flowy. One of the shorter trails, as it doesn’t go all the way to the bottom yet. It has some nice berms and it’s a good warmup. It will dump you out on Cramp Up, which will bring you right back to the top.

Flying Squirrel: This is a fast in places, but for the most part, it’s steep and techy. It’s a pretty exciting trail. It has berms, smaller jumps, smaller drops, and a little 15’(?) gap thrown in for good measure. I didn’t see any squirrels, but I did see someone fly off the trail.

Down and Out. Such a fun DH! Fast and full of features. Lots of berms, drops, and jumps. The image I attached is of me on one of the two ladder drops. The features on this trail were thoughtfully installed, and most have a good margin for error as far a speed goes. If you’re looking to up your game on these types of obstacles, Down and Out is a great place to session and build confidence. Let me just warn you though- going in blind, I was sending everything and feeling a little cocky, when along came a lip which marked the beginning of a 40’(?) gap that shoots right between some large boulders. It comes up quick, and the gap is completely unforgiving if you come up short. There’s plenty of speed on tap, and there’s a good landing with plenty of runout, but alas, I pulled the coward levers. I barely got stopped in time. You will either stop in time and ride around it, or you will send it, or you will die. I lost my nerve (insert screeching car tire sound effect), but I am looking forward to going back to see if I can find it.

-exchequer.jpg

Gnarnia: So cool! I like it techy and steep, so Gnarnia was my favorite, even though it literally caused me to somersault down a hill while somehow remaining firmly affixed to my Crank Brothers Mallets. The rock garden is serious business BTW, and I might of tried to roll it a little too fast and had wet tires and my sunglasses were dirty and...(insert several more excuses)...until it got me, along with my pride. Anyway, Gnarnia is one of those awesome trails that feel like a living entity that is doing its best to kill you. Hands down my favorite. I would recommend keeping your speed in check on your first run down this double diamond. But don’t drag your back tire! The trail is in really nice shape, at the moment. If you are confident on steep and technical terrain, and enjoy sitting on your back tire, while shouting out expletives, Gnarnia is your trail. If you don’t like steep techy trails, this one will be a little frustrating.

The bottom line is this: I can’t wait to go back. I love that it has bike-park-type fun, but no lifts or lines or crowds or rangers writing citations. Everyone will be at their own fitness level and have their own opinion, but the climb up is no big deal. It’s 800’, and it never gets too steep. For reference, it’s significantly easier and requires a lot less energy than the Sulphur Springs grind at Demo. YMMV. There is something for everyone, too. Tech, park features, flow, and XC. It’s a great 3-season spot, and I will go back at least once before summer. Thanks to everyone that kicked in the advice for this day trip.
    Check it out and let us know what you think!
    Last edited by the_kman; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:45 PM.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Glad you liked it. More trails are planned and currently being built, so it should only get better.

I'm usually hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    Glad you liked it. More trails are planned and currently being built, so it should only get better.
    That's good to hear. As far as I'm concerned, it's a worthwhile drive from my home in SF as it sits, but more variety will make it even better. Thanks for your thoughtful input on this post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the report, I'm definitely going to check it out.

used to be RipRoar
    I've been wanting to ride this place was well! looks rad!

Typically after 1-2" of rain how long before its prime?, looks like lots rock so must drain well...?

Not helpful.
    Great write-up! Thanks for taking the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    I've been wanting to ride this place was well! looks rad!

Typically after 1-2" of rain how long before its prime?, looks like lots rock so must drain well...?
    I am also wondering about this...It doesn't look like they will get much rain, is this a viable option to escape the storm and get a ride in?

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It depends on how sunny it is after a rain. Lately, there have been freezing temps so there is ice in spots on the North facing trails, which just get muddy when it thaws.

I'd say typically give it 3-4 days after a rain. But it really only gets sloppy in spots at the bottom where it's flat. It's usually hero most of the way down.