Where to ride in San Jose area this weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Where to ride in San Jose area this weekend

Heading up to San Jose this Thursday 10/17 for my wife's work conference. I did the same thing 2 years ago and found a local to show me around Pacifica. Super fun and I will be heading back on Saturday to hit it again.

I'm looking for a local trail to ride Friday morning that's closer than Pacifica or SC. Ideally a moderate ride, 10 miles or so with non-extreme climbing and a fun/rowdy downhill, ideally with some features on it. Taking any suggestions and if anyone wants to show me around a spot, that would be rad as well. If anyone wants to go ride Pacifica Saturday, I'm meeting a buddy there and would be down with any locals joining there too. Last time we did Crack, completely missed Mile and ended up bushwhacking some old ass trail, ending up playing Frogger crossing the hiway before making it back into town and riding back up the road to do Boyscout. I would really like to find Mile this time around.

I appreciate any info in advance. Looking forward to see what you locals suggest.

Mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yeah, there aren't any legal trails that match your criteria, sorry (and any other trails have layers of secrecy!). John Nicholas is pretty fun for a workout, but it doesn't have any real features and it's only a little closer than going to SC. The Lake Cunningham bike park is fun, but it doesn't open until 3.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Santa Teresa is close but it sucks if you like dh oriented trails. Climbs are twice as steep as the downs.

mtbr member
    Friday morning is a reverse commute to Santa Cruz. Depending on where you are staying it's a 35-45 minute drive.

Trail Gnome
    Go ride fcs pump track...just ask him

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Looks like I'm going to end up at Santa Teresa Friday. Maybe not the best trail, but it will allow me to get some miles in and still meet up with my brother for lunch. Looking forward to Boyscout on Saturday. Anyone riding there Saturday?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm still so surprised all the hate ST gets. It's not the best but it's pretty fun riding, especially for a county park close to town. As long as you can deal with rocks and have the legs/gears to limp up the hills. I appreciate the older rougher trails that are not like the new 3 foot wide smooth trails that are popping up recently in the South bay.
    I'm out there a few times a week for the last 3-4 years. I'd say there are absolutely worst places to have for a pedal from home evening loop.
    It's nice now because with the heat gone it's a little less like riding on the surface of the sun.