What's your winter tire setup for NorCal ?- Mtbr.com
    Ride On!

What's your winter tire setup for NorCal ?

I'm going through my semi-annual tire dilemma as I switch them out for the season. I currently have a DHF/Aggressor combo that has worked out great for the summer months. I am going to try putting a Hans Dampf I have sitting around on the rear as I hear the Aggressor is no bueno in the mud. Will have to see how it goes. What are you all riding this winter?

BTW: Winter riding grounds
    - Auburn
    - Granite Bay
    - Ft Ord
    - Wilder Ranch & UCSC
    - Salmon Falls
    - South Fork trails

Cheers!

jct
    mtbr member
    Bongtrager XR4 2.6 at around 14psi. I ride mostly SC and nisene on a rigid SS. Works great for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    Dhf / dhf

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I run the same combo year round.

Assegai / DHRii.

All of the traction all of the time. My typical trails are either very steep and loose or very steep and grippy (winter) so always solve for grip vs. rolling speed.

mtbr member
    Ass/DHr2 or Dissector

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    whatever is already on the bike... swapping out tires is just too much work...

mtbr member
    No winter specific set, DHRII front and rear just about always. Maxx Grip up front is nice.

mtbr member
    WTB Vigilante 2.5 and Kenda Hellkat 2.4

mtbr member
    WTB judge f/r on the big bike, vigilante/trail boss on the little bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Based on the shi*ty forecast for our "Winter" I don't think many of us need to change a thing.....
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    Based on the shi*ty forecast for our "Winter" I don't think many of us need to change a thing.....
    Is it supposed to be bad? November so far has been better than the last few years with more rain on the way in two weeks. My local trails are perfect rn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    DHF/Assegai front, DHRII/Aggressor rear year round. Haven't tried Dissector.

mtbr member
    Got a weird combo on my ebike right now. Hutchinson up from, Big Betty out back. Donít like the casing or rubber on the Hutchinson, but thought Iíd throw it on to give it a try since I know Iím not a big fan of the Mary that came stock up front on this bike.

Up In Smoke
    Ikon annually

Nobody
    Same year round. DHF front and DHR rear on my Sentinel.

Assegai DD Max Grip front and Eddy Current rear on my Decoy
    I will ALWAYS yield to DH traffic. Go get some!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    just put Knobby nics 2.6 front, 2.4 rear. working well in loam.

mtbr member
    26 x 4.8.....not sure what the rest of y'all are talking about......

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Iím not rich, so I run the same tires that were on my bike in the Summertime. Specialized grid Butcher up front, and a Maxxis DD aggressor in the back...hopefully it doesnít rain this year, otherwise Iíll have to get a new rear tire.

mtbr member
    WTB Verdict wet front and rear

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Is it supposed to be bad? November so far has been better than the last few years with more rain on the way in two weeks. My local trails are perfect rn.

Unfortunately, no. It's supposed to be Drier & Warmer with a return to Drought conditions for the Southwest.....

And that's great for our burned-crispy communities but we need the water.
    Especially here on the Central-Coast.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I ran 2.4 dhr2 front and rear last year and the combo is grippy for sure and if its too muddy for that combo, the trails are probably too muddy to ride anyways. But the combo is slow so I ditched the dhr2 for a semi slick rear and now that winter is coming I may throw a dissector on the back.

The highroller 2 works amazingly well in the wet but it rolls painfully slow, at least in the 2.3 size where the 2.3 highroller rolled noticeably slower than the dhf when mounted at the front wheel of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    same tires, only wetter.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    My winter tire setup is my summer tire setup.

Ride On!
    Thought I would check back in. Put the Hans Dampf on the rear paired with a DHF up front. Got to admit, the HF was faster rolling and much better traction now the dirt has firmed up a bit vs the Aggressor, although my Aggressor has served well in the summer, it is past it's prime and will most likely be allocated to my "just in case" tire pile I take when riding out of town. The one downside is that it is a 2.6" tire and is a tad bit fatter than the 2.5 WT on the front. For now, it will be my winter setup, although, I am considering playing around with putting an Assegai that I have around that I was saving to use for Shuttle/Park days.

mtbr member
    I prefer to run what strangers on the interwebs tell me they like...
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    If it's muddy enough that my tires (Assegai / DHR) clog up, I should be digging, not riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Got a weird combo on my ebike right now. Hutchinson up from, Big Betty out back. Donít like the casing or rubber on the Hutchinson, but thought Iíd throw it on to give it a try since I know Iím not a big fan of the Mary that came stock up front on this bike.
    Curious what you didn't like about the MM?; that is my all time favorite front tire with grip for days and the only draw backs I find with it are high rolling resistance and wears pretty quick but that shouldn't be an issue on the front of an Ebike

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    My winter tire setup is my summer tire setup.
    I am the exact opposite of that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Curious what you didn't like about the MM?; that is my all time favorite front tire with grip for days and the only draw backs I find with it are high rolling resistance and wears pretty quick but that shouldn't be an issue on the front of an Ebike
    I think with those type of tires (magic and assguy), they have so much grip I get trust issues. The DHF will lose traction, but itís extremely predictable and I can adjust my riding to prepare for that so it never catches me off guard. The assguy (and likely magic though I havenít ridden it in a long while) will almost never lose traction, but when it does you will end up on your face because you did not expect it.

Formerly dvo
    Trying out some Maxxis Shortys front and rear after the next rain.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    I think with those type of tires (magic and assguy), they have so much grip I get trust issues. The DHF will lose traction, but itís extremely predictable and I can adjust my riding to prepare for that so it never catches me off guard. The assguy (and likely magic though I havenít ridden it in a long while) will almost never lose traction, but when it does you will end up on your face because you did not expect it.
    Makes sense - youíre right that they are so grippy and donít really break loose, and Iíve had similar issues with rear tires where I want a certain amount of predictable breaking loose and they are almost too grippy, but never really wanted this in a front tire but I can see why someone would

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    Bongtrager XR4 2.6 at around 14psi. I ride mostly SC and nisene on a rigid SS. Works great for me!

I have that tire up front, on a 27.5, but I run 18psi with a rider (+gear) weight of 210 lbs. max. I'm curious about going lower, but that setup seems pretty low for my weight.

I switched from a DHF to XR4 up front and it seems to break loose more gradually (in very dry conditions), so this is interesting to hear, as I was planning an assguy for my next tire. I think I'd take gradual over predictable, but once you've been on a tire for a long time, I imagine that is the safest bet.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    I have that tire up front, on a 27.5, but I run 18psi with a rider (+gear) weight of 210 lbs. max. I'm curious about going lower, but that setup seems pretty low for my weight.
    i'm same weight as you but on the 29er and rigid. my rim id is 35mm. you may be able to go lower depending on the feelings you like.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.