Whats the lowdown on Oakland? (OT)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Whats the lowdown on Oakland? (OT)

Considering a move to the East Bay for my job, just wondering areas to avoid looking at. Berkeley is a possibility as are parts of Oakland. Job is in Richmond, and that is definately out as a place to live. Currently I am living in Burlingame, and the 12hour days door to door is ridiculous

Any tips? ideas?

Thanks

bike buster
    Oakland has 3.5x murders than the national average per city. I don't even like driving through Oakland. Maybe if my commuter was an Abrams Tank... Richmond is 4.79x the national average! I hope your job pays well, man! Personally, I would rather have 12 hour days than be dead for looking at someone funny for smudging their Pumas.

aka baycat
    I have never lived in the east bay or spent a great deal of time in the east bay, but there seems to be plenty of other cities: emeryville, albany, downtown oakland, piedmont and of course berkeley that might present housing options.

But I could be wrong...

It's about showing up.

Don't believe everything you read about Richmond.

I'm an East Bay native. People think of Richmond and think murder and crime; yes there are places through which I no longer riide my bike, for sure.
    We live above the freeway near Wildcat Canyon. Life is good. Look in East Richmond, North Arliington, Richmond View, Richmond North and East, Mira Vista, Point Richmond, Marina, Richmond Annex. Great places in El Cerrito and Albany, El Sobrante, Pinole. San Pablo is a bit trickier.
    Key: keep your communte short, Interstate 80 is the true devil. Depending upon the location of your job a bike commute is a real possiblity. Where will you work?

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    I've lived in and around Oakland for most of my life. There are definitely pleasant and safe areas in the city. I've really enjoyed living just off College Ave. for the past five years and the only thing I see ever making me move is if I have kids some day. The Oakland public schools suck.

Still, if commute time is tops on the list I'd check out Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito or a couple other towns up there over Oakland. They're simply closer. Oh, Berkeley Mike is right - there are nice areas of Richmond as well.

Not a whole lot of useful info here, but I don't know your situation or what you're looking for. (A house or apartment? Budget? Do you have a family, and need good schools for kids? Etc., etc.)
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member

Oaktown

###############
    Last edited by arandal; 08-04-2006 at 05:03 PM.

jrm
    mtbr member

my take..

Quote Originally Posted by Shwaa
    Considering a move to the East Bay for my job, just wondering areas to avoid looking at. Berkeley is a possibility as are parts of Oakland. Job is in Richmond, and that is definately out as a place to live. Currently I am living in Burlingame, and the 12hour days door to door is ridiculous

Any tips? ideas?

Thanks
    This was told to me when i first moved here by co-workers and friends in the area.

for oakland...

would be live east of 580, either between 580 and 13 or further east of 13 in the hills. The only place i'd consider that was west of 580 would be the lake merrit area or alameda. Also dont go any further south then high st. and no further west then San pablo.

East bay..

For the east bay stay east of san pablo. Oh and all these areas are totally BART-bike commute-able depending on were in Richmond your working. Also look into Point Richmond. Its a little isolated but a nice place...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    This was told to me when i first moved here by co-workers and friends in the area.

for oakland...

would be live east of 580, either between 580 and 13 or further east of 13 in the hills. The only place i'd consider that was west of 580 would be the lake merrit area or alameda. Also dont go any further south then high st. and no further west then San pablo.

East bay..

For the east bay stay east of san pablo. Oh and all these areas are totally BART-bike commute-able depending on were in Richmond your working. Also look into Point Richmond. Its a little isolated but a nice place...
    Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    I'm an East Bay native. People think of Richmond and think murder and crime; yes there are places through which I no longer riide my bike, for sure.
    We live above the freeway near Wildcat Canyon. Life is good. Look in East Richmond, North Arliington, Richmond View, Richmond North and East, Mira Vista, Point Richmond, Marina, Richmond Annex. Great places in El Cerrito and Albany, El Sobrante, Pinole. San Pablo is a bit trickier.
    Key: keep your communte short, Interstate 80 is the true devil. Depending upon the location of your job a bike commute is a real possiblity. Where will you work?
    Mike, I work off Meade/Montgomery in Richmond..its 580west, exit Bayview, turn left....

Currently I am taking BART from Millbrae, to El Cerrito Del Norte and biking to work. Its by far my best choice, not only to avoid traffic/bridge...but my company actually pays for 80percent of my BART fares. So that is huge. The area I bike in through Richmond is great in the morning at 730am, afternoon is a different story Kind of shady, but luckily its only a couple miles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim
    I've lived in and around Oakland for most of my life. There are definitely pleasant and safe areas in the city. I've really enjoyed living just off College Ave. for the past five years and the only thing I see ever making me move is if I have kids some day. The Oakland public schools suck.

Still, if commute time is tops on the list I'd check out Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito or a couple other towns up there over Oakland. They're simply closer. Oh, Berkeley Mike is right - there are nice areas of Richmond as well.

Not a whole lot of useful info here, but I don't know your situation or what you're looking for. (A house or apartment? Budget? Do you have a family, and need good schools for kids? Etc., etc.)
    No family, just me and my girlfriend and we want to get a dog. Pretty flexible. Looking for an apartment for $1200 or less ideally. We have been looking in SF, but the ones that are under 1200 are pretty sh*tty.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    No family, just me and my girlfriend and we want to get a dog. Pretty flexible. Looking for an apartment for $1200 or less ideally. We have been looking in SF, but the ones that are under 1200 are pretty sh*tty.
    Gotcha. My next door neighbor has a tri-plex (owner lives in one unit, rents out the other two), allows dogs, and a couple is moving out soon, but I think the rent's like $1700. I'd probably look at towns further north than Oakland anyway.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Jan 2004

At the library get the April 12th Oakland Tribune--Metro Section

Quote Originally Posted by jrm

for oakland...

East bay..

For a precise picture of the locations of all 94 murders from 2005, you will find a map on the front page of the "Metro" section of the Oakland Tribune of April 12, 2005..
    You can get a copy of this in the local library.

In it you will see that if you take the combination of being east of both 580 and MacArthur Blvd......and also Southeast of Broadway that there was only 1 out of 94 murders in those areas......and that 1 was right on the border of 580.
    So essentially on the other side of those areas wherein there is a population of easily over 100,000 to 130,000 residents, the homicide rate is equal or less than that found in Fremont, Walnut Creek, Laffayette, Berkeley, Albany, Alameda etc.

Many areas of Oakland are both safe and beautiful....
    In some other areas you must be aware. I would be especially cautious around some of he BART stations where you park and then walk some distance.
    My brother in law was recently held up at gunpoint near the West Oakland BART station in the middle of the day by some teenager with a gun "on a bike" Always watch out for "bike riders" no matter which city you live in. Bike riders are dangerous people and not to be trusted. Most are packing guns.

It's about showing up.

I recommend changing BART stations and avoiding Bayview.

I'm not one to cast stones but I know enough to stay away from locations where random and arbitrary violence occurs.
    Get off at El Cerrto Plaza. Central looks temptingly direct but it is a traffic nightmare. Take the BART Trail to Stockton and go left down to San Pablo Ave. A quick left and then a right puts you on Sacramento. Take this across Carlson, through the Annex about 4 blocks, and cross 80 on the Pedestrian Bridge. A downhill left on the frontage road and right on Central across 580 hooks you up with the Bay Trail. It will take you right to the Seaport Enterance.
    Speaking of the Bay Trail there are many neighborhoods in Emeryville, Albany, and El Cerrito which are proximate and would make for a great daily bike commute.

mtbr member

No Oakland expert here, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    For a precise picture of the locations of all 94 murders from 2005, you will find a map on the front page of the "Metro" section of the Oakland Tribune of April 12, 2005..
    You can get a copy of this in the local library.

In it you will see that if you take the combination of being east of both 580 and MacArthur Blvd......and also Southeast of Broadway that there was only 1 out of 94 murders in those areas......and that 1 was right on the border of 580.
    So essentially on the other side of those areas wherein there is a population of easily over 100,000 to 130,000 residents, the homicide rate is equal or less than that found in Fremont, Walnut Creek, Laffayette, Berkeley, Albany, Alameda etc.

Many areas of Oakland are both safe and beautiful....
    In some other areas you must be aware. I would be especially cautious around some of he BART stations where you park and then walk some distance.
    My brother in law was recently held up at gunpoint near the West Oakland BART station in the middle of the day by some teenager with a gun "on a bike" Always watch out for "bike riders" no matter which city you live in. Bike riders are dangerous people and not to be trusted. Most are packing guns.
    I would think anything around College in Rockridge would be a lot of fun and anywhere in the Oakland hills, or basically east of 13 would be one of the best areas in the whole bay area to live.

I would however recommend staying out of the coliseum until the A's start playing better.

Coors, the american beer.
    the rich aint that bad i went to go look at a car off mcbryde one time and yea it was kinda a shady hood but the guy said it wasnt that bad he liked it out there ....

the best is when i was test driving the car and we are ridin down the street and i see some fine girls walkin round and i ask dude if theres a club around here and hes like nah man 50 bucks ... im like haaaa cause i never seen a real prostitute before then

what you need to do if you end up movin to a hood area is pick up some heat and a buick and throw some 20s on that bleezy and ride around slumpin some lee majors and youll be good to go
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Coors, the american beer.
    make sure you ghostride the whip once in a while

AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

So, I'm picturing a large Ford F350 blastin' some Conway Twiddy, with two "Cowboy Up" stickers onthe back window, but no gun rack (registrant is a felon) Ghost-ridin' down Jefferson St.

I just spent most of my weekend in Napa.

I'm living in the Berkeley "flats" (east of Sacramento, south of University) and love it! Rent isn't cheap, but perhaps in your range. There is enough stuff to do within biking distance to keep me in trouble (Jupiters, Lanesplitters, Kitty's, The Albatross, the Starry Plough) and BART is a hop, skip and a jump for when I want to see my pals who still live in the city.
    I have a co-worker who is renting in El Cerrito in a nice-ish neighborhood, two-bedroom and a shack/ shed in backyard and is paying less than I am... still pretty close to BART too.

Anything along San Pablo (in any town) can make me a little nervous, but parts of it (in Berkeley) are starting to be gentrified... nice cafes and resturaunts and places to live.

ballbuster

Depends on your budget

Any tips? ideas?

Thanks
    There are good and bad areas of Richmond, Berkeley and Oakland. I live in the Glenview area in Oakland, and there is almost no violent crime here. I feel okay walking in my neighborhood at night. I wouldn't leave anything of value in my car, tho. Laurel, Montclaire, Elmwood and Claremont(berkeley), are also good neighborhoods. Also check into the College Ave area, towards the hills (Tilden is your back yard, here!) and Rockridge. Not cheap around here, tho. Lakeshore (on the east side of 580, tho!) and Grand Ave up to Piedmont are nice areas as well, and just over the hill from where I live.

There are a lot of areas of Oakland, I wouldn't go at night, but that shouldn't keep you out of the borders of Oakland, altogether. Yeah, there is a lot of violent crime inside the city limits of Oakland, but it is mostly in the lowland areas, and commited by gang bangers against other gang bangers. It will be no secret when you are in these neighborhoods. Its easy to say as a generalizaion that anything east of 580 and south of Harrison is a safe bet. East of 13 is even nicer (Montclaire) and Juaquin Miller is your backyard up there.

There are good areas of Richmond as well. I couldn't give you geographical locations, but off the top of my head, the North end and east of 80 is decent... like the San Pablo dam road area, or Pinole and Hercules.

mtbr member
    Elmwood in Berkeley is Great, the berkeley bowl/whole foods/ 1 mi from campus area, close to a BART that goes to Richmond. Check around Ashby ave/Shattuck. Pretty Safe, nice convienent, you don't really need a car to get things done. The rent isn't that bad either, cheaper than rockridge or dwtn berkeley, with out all the berkeley madness or the oakland gunslingers. However a little bit down in the flats, gets pretty well dicey.

Trip the Bike Fantastic

north bay?

have you considered living in Marin? I lived in San Rafael and commuted to UCBerkeley - 40 minutes door to class, including parking far off campus, riding the bike from there to class, etc. As long as you avoid 80, you are gtg - even during rush hour.

Richmond you could certainly make in 25. For commuting, you can take bikes on the GG Transit lines from SR to Richmond - and if the 2 bike limit is met, GGT will pay for a taxi for you and your bike.

ballbuster

What the what?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    make sure you ghostride the whip once in a while

... and what does this have to do with Oakland?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycledelic
    have you considered living in Marin? I lived in San Rafael and commuted to UCBerkeley - 40 minutes door to class, including parking far off campus, riding the bike from there to class, etc. As long as you avoid 80, you are gtg - even during rush hour.

Richmond you could certainly make in 25. For commuting, you can take bikes on the GG Transit lines from SR to Richmond - and if the 2 bike limit is met, GGT will pay for a taxi for you and your bike.
    Trust me, if it was my call Id move to Marin in a heartbeat...so easy to get to Richmond from there too. Problem is my GF works in Palo Alto (works at home 3 days a week, but still....too far)

Members who have read this thread: 0