What's the climb to Toads like?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

What's the climb to Toads like?

I'll be in So. lake later this month right by Toads. Looking for the hard truth on the climb up to toads making it a loop. I'll be riding solo and am used to doing so. I understand there is a shuttle but wanted to see how doable for me the whole thing would be. My regular ride is the 11+ mile Forresthill loop and occasionally adding the connector as well as doing a couple culvert/confluence laps. Biggest ride I've done was about 24 miles with 4500 ft of climbing. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Pretty rough for me last year being a sea level dweller and not in top physical shape. Had to fight some snow as well. Not overly technical though. Killer ride down...Shuttled up with OTE...

mtbr member
    There are 2 ways. Ride S. Upper Truckee to Big Meadow parking lot from Myers, which is a lot of pavement. The best option IMO is ride from lot 8 Oneidas/Fountain place (bottom of corral) and pedal Armstrong to Toads. For me, a heavier guy, slow pedaler, it takes about 1.5 hours to the upper saddle (TRT Intersection) then another 30-45 minutes to the lookout on TRT. No doubt both routes are a haul, but Armstrong is more dirt than pavement. Once you hot toads from either way it's pretty self explanatory.

If you ride the shuttle to Grass Lake (Luther pass) it's 1650' climbing just to get to Tucker Flat (top of Toads)

Almost the same effort to shuttle, ride TRT to Toads, then go do Armstrong connector.

FYI, Lot 8, which is the bottom of Corral is a sh*t show with both gates on Fountain Place being open and self shuttlers clogging the place up. Plus corral is beat to death right now.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    A few years ago a friend and I started on Fountain Place road, took Power Line over to climb up Incense Cedar, Sidewinder, Armstrong Connector, Armstrong Pass to the top of Toads and then down.

It was 23 miles and 3300 ft. Normally those numbers would not phase us at all, but the elevation was oppressive. We drove up that morning and hadn't adjusted at all. Armstrong Pass starts at like 7500 feet and you've got nearly 2K to climb from there to the highest point. Anything techie at all on it was hike-a-bike. Stuff that would be a mildly amusing rock garden at sea level.

We had fun, but it took six and a half hours total, which was much more than we planned for. We barely had enough twilight to see the end of Toads and came back to the truck in the dark.
    Last edited by somanygoodbikes; 09-04-2019 at 11:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Since it doesn’t sound like you normally do big rides, I would put this loop as doable with a helping of suffering. Just come prepared with food and water. Do as I say not as I do though... I’m the guy who tries the whole thing with a single water bottle and 2 small granola bars.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post

We had fun, but it took six and a half hours total, which was much more than we planned for. We barely had enough twilight to see the end of Toads and came back to the truck in the dark.
    Oh, man- been there, done that!
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

singletrack bound
    same here.....several years ago we started our ride under the stagecoach lift at Heavenly/East peak TRT TR head and rode 25 ~ mi. of Monument Pass,past Star Lake and Freel pass, descending to Armstrong Pass only to climb some more then hitting Toads and just under 3K of decent in the dark!!! It was a 6+ hr. ride.
    3600 climb
    4700 descent
    brutal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I rode there for the first time last week. It was HOT. Coupled with the elevation, I was completely shattered by the time I reached toads. Shuttled Luther Pass with over the edge and rode big meadows over to toads.

That being said, I want to do a double header of Freel pass down Armstrong on one day and big chief on the north side the next day before we lose too much light. Who shuttles the north side?

mtbr member
    If you got some ok fitness it’s not so bad, just park at the bottom of toads, ride up fountain place road, then up to Armstrong pass, and hang a right on the TRT. Fun downhill to the top of toads.

At anytime your not feeling the climb anymore, easy and fun bailout just by turning around, Armstrong, armstrong connector, corral make for a fun downhill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chump
    Agreed with what others have said. The loop via Armstrong pass is way better than climbing up the highway to Big Meadow. It starts with a pleasant climb up some pavement, and then it's typical Tahoe singletrack until the bottom of Toad's. There will be some sections you'll wind up pushing up, and it shouldn't seem like you need to, but the altitude makes it extra tough. The TRT tops out around 9500' in that section, so it's pretty high. As it happens, I'm planning to do the Armstrong/Toads loop this Saturday for the first time in ~14 years, so we'll see if my memory of it is accurate!

Some day I'll try the route all the way from Monument Pass and Star Lake, but not just yet...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    same here.....several years ago we started our ride under the stagecoach lift at Heavenly/East peak TRT TR head and rode 25 ~ mi. of Monument Pass,past Star Lake and Freel pass, descending to Armstrong Pass only to climb some more then hitting Toads and just under 3K of decent in the dark!!! It was a 6+ hr. ride.
    3600 climb
    4700 descent
    brutal.
    That is a good ride. I myself cannot get over that climb on TRT from Stagecoach. Seems like it just goes on forever... Also wanted to say- the descent from Star Lake on the Star Lake connector to Cold creek trail are the most ripping trails in South Lake right now. Wide Freakin Open sight lines and little or no traffic because let's face it, Star Lake is not easy to get to..

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Good chance you can hitch-hike up Fountain Place too. Just don't count on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I’m the guy who tries the whole thing with a single water bottle.
    If you know where to look, you don't need to pack too much water. As I'm sure you know, there is potable water via springs all over that part of the mountain. Nothing like drinking water strait from the spring! Ahhhhhhh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Good chance you can hitch-hike up Fountain Place too. Just don't count on it.
    Dudes be standing around the rocks by the Kiosk on a Saturday looking like a group of day laborers at Home Depot!!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    I'll be in So. lake later this month right by Toads. Looking for the hard truth on the climb up to toads making it a loop. I'll be riding solo and am used to doing so. I understand there is a shuttle but wanted to see how doable for me the whole thing would be. My regular ride is the 11+ mile Forresthill loop and occasionally adding the connector as well as doing a couple culvert/confluence laps. Biggest ride I've done was about 24 miles with 4500 ft of climbing. Thanks!
    Up Fountain as per TahoeBC's suggestion. Youll be fine. Pretty much the best reply to your inquiry. 👍
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    There are 2 ways. Ride S. Upper Truckee to Big Meadow parking lot from Myers, which is a lot of pavement. The best option IMO is ride from lot 8 Oneidas/Fountain place (bottom of corral) and pedal Armstrong to Toads. For me, a heavier guy, slow pedaler, it takes about 1.5 hours to the upper saddle (TRT Intersection) then another 30-45 minutes to the lookout on TRT. No doubt both routes are a haul, but Armstrong is more dirt than pavement. Once you hot toads from either way it's pretty self explanatory.

If you ride the shuttle to Grass Lake (Luther pass) it's 1650' climbing just to get to Tucker Flat (top of Toads)

Almost the same effort to shuttle, ride TRT to Toads, then go do Armstrong connector.

FYI, Lot 8, which is the bottom of Corral is a sh*t show with both gates on Fountain Place being open and self shuttlers clogging the place up. Plus corral is beat to death right now.

Hope this helps

-From my memory, the Luther Pass climb was/is a LOT more physical/technical climb or has that been sanitized/re-routed nowadays???
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Dudes be standing around the rocks by the Kiosk on a Saturday looking like a group of day laborers at Home Depot!!
    -THIS is hilarious!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    -From my memory, the Luther Pass climb was/is a LOT more physical/technical climb or has that been sanitized/re-routed nowadays???
    Cant be that bad because I no-dabbed the entire grass lake connector after work the other day from 89 to TRT junction.. TRT is just like that anyway, anywhere you ride there it's mount and dismount and again, and again...

Now, not to go full ADD and piss off a bunch of Stay on Topic peeps, but Thunder Mountain at Kirkwood is really, really bad ass.. Pedal the loop, shred til ya dead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thank you to all the great replies. I am a bit apprehensive on the ride as not sure how well I will do with the whole climb but I have been wanting to do Toads for a while. I am up in a cabin over the weekend with in-laws so was looking for an escape. I'm thinking the climbing is doable but the altitude as others are stating is what is worrying me.
    So at a modest pace should I assume just the climb to Toads is about 3hrs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Depends how fast you are!

Some Strava segments:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/21171553 -- singletrack part of loop, top of Fountain Place to bottom. Figure an extra 30 minutes paved climbing.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/620667 -- ST, just Armstrong up to TRT
    https://www.strava.com/segments/620676 TRT, Armstrong to Toads
    https://www.strava.com/segments/742099 -- Toads. Figure an extra 10 minutes getting back out to Fountain Place.

You said you are "right by toads". Maybe your friends/relatives can drop you off at the top of FP (pick up a hitchhiker for extra credit/possible ride partner) and you can ride to your cabin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Depends how fast you are!
    along those lines, Levi Leipheimer did the WHOLE TRT the same day I was there in less time it took took me to do 20 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2660224050

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Since it doesn’t sound like you normally do big rides, I would put this loop as doable with a helping of suffering. Just come prepared with food and water. Do as I say not as I do though... I’m the guy who tries the whole thing with a single water bottle and 2 small granola bars.
    I rode Toads via OTE shuttle and then went for round 2 last month. Left my car at Luther pass and got back to my airBNB on high meadow trail as it was getting dark. All while fasting. It was amazing. I think I went through almost 2 camel backs of water though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    At anytime your not feeling the climb anymore, easy and fun bailout just by turning around, Armstrong, armstrong connector, corral make for a fun downhill.
    For me this is the most bang for your buck in South Lake: Start from Grass Lake/Luther Pass to the Rim trail, pedal right past Toads (blasphemy, I know), then it's all downhill from Freel Meadows--maybe 10 miles of granite, flow, jumps and rollers. As for the altitude, one night of sleeping up there can make a world of difference. And hit up Divided Sky post-ride for food/beer. I'm hoping to get up there next month when the aspen go off. Have fun!
    Last edited by Callender; 09-08-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    along those lines, Levi Leipheimer did the WHOLE TRT the same day I was there in less time it took took me to do 20 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2660224050
    That was a pavement ride no TRT, I've see one of his times though for Rose to Toads, don't recall how fast it was but it was dam impressive

mtbr member
    Thank you to all the great replies. I am a bit apprehensive on the ride as not sure how well I will do with the whole climb but I have been wanting to do Toads for a while. I am up in a cabin over the weekend with in-laws so was looking for an escape. I'm thinking the climbing is doable but the altitude as others are stating is what is worrying me.
    So at a modest pace should I assume just the climb to Toads is about 3hrs?

Yep. If you shuttle with OTE, to Luther, the Toads lap is under 2 hours. It's one of their most popular shuttles. If you are staying in Meyers, that would prob be the best bet. The suggestion of riding passed Tucker saddle (Top of Toads) is also a good call, Armstrong connector to Corral is very popular. As it is, Toads is really, quite dry, dusty and fairly blown out at the bottom, especially. HAVE FUN!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The suggestion of riding passed Tucker saddle (Top of Toads) is also a good call, Armstrong connector to Corral is very popular.
    Doing this ride tomorrow. 10 miles of downhill (TRT, Armstrong, Connector, Corral) with 3000' of descent -- such fun!
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member

ride up Luther pass

you can take the easy way up - Luther Pass

or is this not modern bike riding?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    That was a pavement ride no TRT, I've see one of his times though for Rose to Toads, don't recall how fast it was but it was dam impressive
    ah, thought it was TRT. still pretty impressive time even on road.

for a while there, he had what seemed like every segment on strava in Annadel. Looks like a bunch of riders have superseded him now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Modern easy way up would be with an e-bike.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

Who wants to ride a Hwy up? at least if your gonna go that way ride up South upper truckee, cross 89 where it ends and continue up the backside of big meadows campground to the start of the TRT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    To the OP:

I'll echo what others have said... The climb from the bottom of Fountain Place road all the way up to Armstrong Pass and then to the top of Toad's should be doable for you, likely less strenuous than the biggest ride you mentioned that you have done. My friends and I ride those trails every September, and usually shuttle up the pavement part. However, last year the pavement was closed to cars so we rode up it on the way to Toads. It's a nice ride, and if you have time to take it slow and rest when needed, that would be good, as the descent down Toad's is not so fun if you are totally spent already.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    Doing this ride tomorrow. 10 miles of downhill (TRT, Armstrong, Connector, Corral) with 3000' of descent -- such fun!
    ^^^^This. Toads is more of an "iconic" trail to dothan a great one. Personally way more bang for your efforts skirting past Toads for this route. Shuttle pickup logistics are pretty much the same as finishing at bottom of Toads.

mtbr member
    Gonna ride Toads, Armstrong, Corral next week. How dusty is it this time of year? Goggles warranted?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Gonna ride Toads, Armstrong, Corral next week. How dusty is it this time of year? Goggles warranted?

Been warm up there, goggles are always nice but face sweat is REAL!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post

Goggles under visor on way up, on face the way down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Safety of Trailside Parking in Tahoe?

I'm headed up to Tahoe in 2 weeks. We want to ride on our arrival day Saturday. Is any concern about car break-ins warranted? We'd have our suitcases in our cars - a minivan and a Tesla. Not yet sure what we will ride, but parking location possibilities are Fountain Place, Chimney Beach, Tahoe Meadows.
    Last edited by Dopaminer_09; 09-15-2019 at 08:15 PM.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    I'm headed up to Tahoe in 2 weeks. We want ride on our arrival day Saturday. Is any concern about car break-in warranted? We'd have our suitcases in our cars - a minivan and a Tesla. Not yet sure what will ride, but parking location possibilities are Fountain Place, Chimney Beach, Tahoe Meadows.
    All good. Unless you advertise too much on here what's in your Tesla/suitcase anywayz...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm headed up to Tahoe in 2 weeks. We want to ride on our arrival day Saturday. Is any concern about car break-ins warranted? We'd have our suitcases in our cars - a minivan and a Tesla. Not yet sure what we will ride, but parking location possibilities are Fountain Place, Chimney Beach, Tahoe Meadows.
    If you are super concerned there is Bag bnb. places that will hold you bags for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Not a local but generally not worried in SLT. Though I've heard of things like bikes & boards being stolen from cars.

Just road Armstrong (from top of Fountain Place)->TRT->Toads this weekend (leaving my bag in my car... Oh someone might have gotten some smelly clothes!).

To the question of 'is it worth it vs armstrong'.... I think they've done some work to Toads, it's in quite good shape. Lots of fun from the lake viewpoint on the TRT all the way to the road at the bottom.

If you haven't ridden anything up there, are up to it, and have to pick one, I'd go for Toads. Armstrong is great, but a much more... typical... flowy trail.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have some friends that just climbed Toads a few days ago...because they read the map wrong...haha. They did it the right way a few days later, as a big loop up TRT from Stagecoach. 32 miles or so I believe that way.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks guys, for the input.

Climbing Toads, never seen that before. I did once see 2 guys on unicycles descending Toads.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, for the input.

Climbing Toads, never seen that before. I did once see 2 guys on unicycles descending Toads.
    When there is snow on the upper half if is worth climbing from the bottom and turning around when you hit snow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you had time to shuttle either Van Sickle or Kingsbury Stinger, which would you choose?

I've never ridden Kingsbury Stinger before.

mtbr member
    kingsbury stinger is super fun, but it's short. Van sickle wins because it's longer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    To the OP:

I'll echo what others have said... The climb from the bottom of Fountain Place road all the way up to Armstrong Pass and then to the top of Toad's should be doable for you, likely less strenuous than the biggest ride you mentioned that you have done. My friends and I ride those trails every September, and usually shuttle up the pavement part. However, last year the pavement was closed to cars so we rode up it on the way to Toads. It's a nice ride, and if you have time to take it slow and rest when needed, that would be good, as the descent down Toad's is not so fun if you are totally spent already.
    Thank you....what is the total miles and FT of climbing for this route?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Inspired by this thread, I rode Toad's this past weekend.
    I followed this route: https://www.trailforks.com/route/mr-toads-loop/

For some reason I clocked in 3400ft vertical rather than 4300 as per trailforks. Big discrepancy between devices I suppose.

The climb up Fountain Place Road is about 4.5-5 miles of pavement depending which Parking lot you use. It goes quickly, it's all paved and not too steep. Armstrong Pass is great coming up, albeit, you'll find a couple tech sections. Altitude starts playing a role toward the top of the Pass.

The section of TRT to beginning of Toads has only one short section where you're going to walk. Altitude is definitely a factor.

Toads starts off steep and there are quite a few big commitment lines with a heavy penalty for eating it. Then it opens up and flows fast.

For me it was under 3hrs of moving time. Great ride.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Note: If you can do FP->Armstrong->Toads in 3 hrs of moving time you are in very good shape. . My fastest is 3.5 total, starting at top of Fountain Place. (And my times are roughly top 1/2 - 1/3 on Strava segments.) Add another 30-45 minutes from the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    kingsbury stinger is super fun, but it's short. Van sickle wins because it's longer.
    Kingsbury Stinger is 5 miles.

Van Sickle is 3 miles...

Though admittedly you can't actually shuttle to the top of Van Sickle, so add some miles of climbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Which one do you like better?

Kingsbury Stinger is 5 miles.

Van Sickle is 3 miles...

Though admittedly you can't actually shuttle to the top of Van Sickle, so add some miles of climbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't have my own gps log of this ride. Google Maps say the climb from FP up to the start of Toads is 3281 feet of elevation.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.8...d38.811003!3e1

Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Inspired by this thread, I rode Toad's this past weekend.
    I followed this route: https://www.trailforks.com/route/mr-toads-loop/

For some reason I clocked in 3400ft vertical rather than 4300 as per trailforks. Big discrepancy between devices I suppose.

The climb up Fountain Place Road is about 4.5-5 miles of pavement depending which Parking lot you use. It goes quickly, it's all paved and not too steep. Armstrong Pass is great coming up, albeit, you'll find a couple tech sections. Altitude starts playing a role toward the top of the Pass.

The section of TRT to beginning of Toads has only one short section where you're going to walk. Altitude is definitely a factor.

Toads starts off steep and there are quite a few big commitment lines with a heavy penalty for eating it. Then it opens up and flows fast.

For me it was under 3hrs of moving time. Great ride.

_MK

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ That sounds right. It just feels like 4300!
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    This jives with my recorded ride:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2712356639

Trailforks has it wrong; kind of a bummer, I was mentally prepared for a 5 hour crusher, could have set up my weekend better if the ride wasn't so over-estimated. I wonder how correct the other segments are in the area.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Trailforks has a well-known bug in their elevation calculations. They're supposed to be working on it. You can trust its track data, but not the elevation.

mtbr member
    This jives with my recorded ride:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2712356639

Trailforks has it wrong; kind of a bummer, I was mentally prepared for a 5 hour crusher, could have set up my weekend better if the ride wasn't so over-estimated. I wonder how correct the other segments are in the area.

_MK
    5+ Hour crusher would be shuttle to Luther, then ride TRT to Star Lake, return to town via Star Lake connector/cold creek.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I'll keep that one in mind for next time (year).
    What's this one like:
    https://www.trailforks.com/route/kin...c-bus-shuttle/

Is this more like 4500ft vertical vs 6k advertised?
    Thanks.

_MK

mtbr member

What's the climb to Toads like?

I'll keep that one in mind for next time (year).
    What's this one like:
    https://www.trailforks.com/route/kin...c-bus-shuttle/

Is this more like 4500ft vertical vs 6k advertised?
    Thanks.

_MK
    Never trust trailforks for elevation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thank you to all who helped. I bit the bullet and did the ride and it was so hard (for me) but I made it. Climbed up from the first parking lot off Oneida/Fountain place. Total time was 4:45, not sure of total moving time but guessing around 3:50....took a few breaks. Altitude was rough but really worth it. Toads DH was so awesome. Bucket list check and now looking for some other great rides. Pinecrest?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I did Pinecrest Peak trail for the first time this summer. It was awesome. Quite a long slog up fireroads from Strawberry, but the views up top are exceptional, and the ride down is a blast.

I also really like Stagecoach to Star Lake (in Tahoe), and down via Coal Creek to Powerlines. It's a shuttle ride though, unless you are up for tacking on the climb up Van Sickle.

Thank you to all who helped. I bit the bullet and did the ride and it was so hard (for me) but I made it. Climbed up from the first parking lot off Oneida/Fountain place. Total time was 4:45, not sure of total moving time but guessing around 3:50....took a few breaks. Altitude was rough but really worth it. Toads DH was so awesome. Bucket list check and now looking for some other great rides. Pinecrest?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I did Pinecrest Peak trail for the first time this summer. It was awesome. Quite a long slog up fireroads from Strawberry, but the views up top are exceptional, and the ride down is a blast.

I also really like Stagecoach to Star Lake (in Tahoe), and down via Coal Creek to Powerlines. It's a shuttle ride though, unless you are up for tacking on the climb up Van Sickle.
    What is the loop route for the Pinecrest ride?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I will PM you later today.

What is the loop route for the Pinecrest ride?