What's the Best 15-20 Mile Loop at Skeggs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What's the Best 15-20 Mile Loop at Skeggs?

Hi Everyone, tomorrows my bday and I'm taking the day off to ride skeggs most of the day. I've been there a handful of times and have had nothing but the best of times. My question to everyone is this, what's the best 15-20 mile loop at skeggs? I have come climbed some single track trails that I wish I would have come down, and have decented trails I would have rathered climbed. Any suggestions would be helpful, and if anyone is free and would like to show me around tomorow, that would be awesome as well! Hope everyone is enjoying this perfect weather!

Master of '80s BMX tricks

15 miles ate skegg's

Quote Originally Posted by iWiLRiDe
    Hi Everyone, tomorrows my bday and I'm taking the day off to ride skeggs most of the day. I've been there a handful of times and have had nothing but the best of times. My question to everyone is this, what's the best 15-20 mile loop at skeggs? I have come climbed some single track trails that I wish I would have come down, and have decented trails I would have rathered climbed. Any suggestions would be helpful, and if anyone is free and would like to show me around tomorow, that would be awesome as well! Hope everyone is enjoying this perfect weather!
    That seems like a lot of miles for skeggs. you may want to plan on doing 2 loops or so. I'm really not a regular down that way but i have a book by Lorene Jackson (MTN biking in the bay area) PM me with your email and i'll send you a copy of the the map that she provides. It seems to be pretty good. Truth be told, Skegg's is alot of technical downhill fun but the uphill is a drag the map provided in the book seems to offer the most bang for your buck but no matter what you still have to climb back up to the parking lot. It's pretty hot out there too so bring lots of water. the map routes you back and forth accross the hillside then takes you back up via a fireroad so the climbing is a little more mindless than the downhill.
    see also; http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4519crx.aspx plus check the park's website too for any trail closures.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    bring some fenders. I was just there yesterday and the trails were muddier/wetter than they were 2 weeks ago. The eternal fog at skegg's creates condensation on the trees so it keeps the trails very moist. When I made it low enough on Manzanita trail it started to dry up.

mtbr member
    Well, you won't get the "best" loop due to the seasonal trail closures, but you could try something like this:

CM02 -> Sierra Morena -> Talfoni -> part of ECdM -> Resolution (up) -> Manzanita (down) -> Crosscut -> Gordan Mill (up) -> Steam Donkey (down) -> Springboard (up) -> Blue Blossom -> Springboard (down) -> Gordan Mill -> Sierra Morena -> CM02

That's about 13.5 - 14 miles.

mtbr member
    sfbikerider's suggestion is a good ride

also (if it's open) the big ccw loop w/ n & s leaf is superb.

map:
    http://openspace.org/preserves/maps/..._creek_map.pdf

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by sfbikerider
    CM02 -> Sierra Morena -> Talfoni -> part of ECdM -> Resolution (up) -> Manzanita (down) -> Crosscut -> Gordan Mill (up) -> Steam Donkey (down) -> Springboard (up) -> Blue Blossom -> Springboard (down) -> Gordan Mill -> Sierra Morena -> CM02
    Thats a GREAT loop!

FWIW, I used to never really consider going UP Resolution and/or Mazanita but the last couple of rides I have and have had a totally fun time with them. Sure, its not the same fun as going DOWN, but its plenty fun, especially if you dig technical climbing (Yes, please!)

...And I'll be doing my usual 7am Tuesday morning Skeggs sesh tomorrow AM if anybody wants to get out and thrash at that hour. I'll also likely be hitting it at 5pm Weds too...
    - -benja- -

Members who have read this thread: 0