mtbr member

what are your fave marin/mt tam fire road rides?

For those wet or rainy days when you have to get in some miles but don't want to tear up the trails or take your chances on the road, what do you like? 15-30 miles?

Formerly dvo
    A little longer.....GG2MB
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/8215033
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It's usually pretty boring and everyone's done it 1000 times, but on those special days when the fog/cloud is juuuuust covering most of Tam but clear at the top, riding up Railroad grade and breaking out of the fog somewhere around the West Point Inn can be spectacular. And then you descend on * censored *.

mtbr member
    Man, I love the marin headlands. Mainly just big open fire roads but you can legally night ride, there are views everywhere, and tons of climbing. Some fun little secret stashes of tech, and even gnar, if you know where to look too.

Everything drains really really well. The place has 1000 different moods depending on the fog and time of year, and the natural light out there is all time. Tons of wildlife. I did a long loop out there in the middle of the xmas eve torrential downpour and everything held up fine. The ride was miserable but the trails were fine.

Tons of loop options but I spend a ton of time riding up and down Marincello and usually go check the surf at Cron.

Gratuitous headlands photo bomb!

what are your fave marin/mt tam fire road rides?-img_3187.jpg

what are your fave marin/mt tam fire road rides?-img_3051.jpg

what are your fave marin/mt tam fire road rides?-img_3247.jpg

what are your fave marin/mt tam fire road rides?-img_3212.jpg
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Eldridge/Rock Springs/Rocky Ridge/Pine Mtn/Repack

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Old Railroad --> Ridgecrest --> Fairfax/Bolinas --> Gestalt Haus. Really fun when they "close" Tam to cars on high fire danger days and Ridgecrest is empty.

(this is where I own up to basically only riding a Hakka MX for the last 6 months)

mtbr member
    sweet, thanks for the ideas!

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    A nice big ride for rainy days or just after the rain starts from from Tennessee Valley:

Go down Tennessee Valley towards the beach, up Coastal to Coyote Ridge to North on Miwok, cross Hwy 1 on Miwok to down Dias Ridge, out Muir Woods rd to up Deer Park fire road to Pantoll, up Old Stage to RR Grade up to the top, down Eldridge to Indian Fire Rd to Hoo-Koo-E-Koo then back up RR Grade, down Old Stage to Pantoll, down Coastal View, then Muir Woods singletrack, up Middle Green Gulch to Coyote Ridge up, now South on Miwok back to the car.

That’s about 37 miles 5800’ if memory serves. Lots of options for side trips or extensions to make it shorter or longer. Lots of good climbs (Deer Park and Middle Green Gulch are favorites) and some fun rips (Eldridge and Coastal View). The route favors a hardtail.

(Side note: Miwok between Coyote Ridge and Tennessee Valley is all-time awful with the recent addition of gravel and steps to the very steep sections that are usually moderately rutted? What moron put gravel on that? I shed a tear for every tax dollar spent trying to “improve” an inherently unsustainable “trail” that should be decommissioned and replaced with an actual trail).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    White Hill ->SG Ridge fire road heading West gets you some good scenery. Plus you can hit Landbridge/Contour Trail and Hunt Camp for your legal s/t fix coming back around!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A big Marin fireroad ride I've done a couple times from MV:

RR Grade-->Rock Springs--> Laurel Dell--> Bo Ridge-->Shafter-->San Geronimo Ridge-->Repack-->Deer Park-->Concrete Pipe-->Eldridge-->Indian Fire-->Roller Coaster-->Tank Turns

Pretty much an all day affair with the option to bail at Fairfax and limp home on the road.

NedwannaB
    Nice outing! 👍
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....