What tires for racing the Downieville Classic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What tires for racing the Downieville Classic

What tires would you use for racing the Downieville Classic downhill race? There are lots of sharp rocks in some sections. Last time I was there I flatted twice in one run. The Nevegals will be shelved for my next trip there as a result.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 67degrees
    What tires would you use for racing the Downieville Classic downhill race? There are lots of sharp rocks in some sections. Last time I was there I flatted twice in one run. The Nevegals will be shelved for my next trip there as a result.
    Edit: I realized after you posted this that you're talking about the downhill race. I saw "Downieville" and "race" and didn't pay attention to the "downhill" part. My recommendation below is for the XC course.

I did it last year for the first time and got three or four flats, depending on how you count them. I was running several-years-old Michelin Wild Gripper 2.1 tires with inner tubes, so I'd say don't use those. I will probably be running the fun wheels and tires that are on my bike now, a 2.3 UST Maxxis High Roller front and a 2.1 UST WTB Weirwolf rear on Mavic 819 rims. I hope to get a pair of light racey wheels for other races this summer, but for Downieville I will skip the lightweight stuff.

Submitted my Downieville XC reg last Wednesday, Sport 35-44. Can't wait for the race! Had such a bad time last year yet I'm jonesing to do it again. Go figure.

Morgan
    Last edited by morganfletcher; 05-08-2006 at 02:49 PM.

aka baycat
    WTB Wierwolf 2.55 LTs...that an option? those might be to beefy for the xc race but dh?

Aug 2004

I'd worry less about tires and more about pressure......

I've had several flats at Downieville, but then increased my pressure by a few PSI... even like 5psi could make a big difference... Most of the flats in that area are likely pinch flats, so pressure not tires will keep you out of trouble for the race... I'm 175lbs and run 40psi... seems to work for me... WTB Moto Raptor's have worked well for me ..... 2.24"

banned
    I don't think the question can be answered given the derth of information we have about you and your ride.

Yes, the course is rough - but there are many methods to the course that are effective. I have seen complete DH rigs, pushing 45 lbs - all mountain rigs in the mid 30's and hardtails - barely more than 25 lbs - all take the podium at Downieville.

Yes, I know it's the rider, not the bike - but the point is the tire used on the full DH rig is not the same tire used on the hardtail - they had differing tactics.

Personally, I will be using a WTB 2.5" Weirwolf (not the 2.55 - which is a totally different tire) - but I am undecided whether I'll be using "inner peace" (anti pinch flat cushion). And I'll be using my Foes FXR - which is a 6"x6" ride that pedals pretty darn well, and is pretty darn plush.

So, what're you riding?

What's your strength? Are you a pedaler or a masher?

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    2.25 IRC Trailbears. Tough as nails, resonably light, great on the rocks, and inexpensive.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

psi

There's no substitute for air pressure in Downieville, unless you plan on going slow enough to avoid every knife edged rock coming your way. If you don't want to flat, then run 2.2-2.5 tubes, WTB Inner Peace tires (or a tire with a thick sidewall) and pump the dam thing up.

fyi... the DH course is looking to be 2 miles longer with 400' vertical added to the top, which means your heart rate is going to be through the roof, and your legs are gonna be screaming by the time you reach the old start line.

Oh yeah, 3rd Divide received a few reroutes as well. Good Bye course record, its a whole new deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aug 2004

Details Please !!!!

What horrible thing have you people done !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yuba man
    There's no substitute for air pressure in Downieville, unless you plan on going slow enough to avoid every knife edged rock coming your way. If you don't want to flat, then run 2.2-2.5 tubes, WTB Inner Peace tires (or a tire with a thick sidewall) and pump the dam thing up.

fyi... the DH course is looking to be 2 miles longer with 400' vertical added to the top, which means your heart rate is going to be through the roof, and your legs are gonna be screaming by the time you reach the old start line.

Oh yeah, 3rd Divide received a few reroutes as well. Good Bye course record, its a whole new deal.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    I am undecided whether I'll be using "inner peace" (anti pinch flat cushion).
    I would. It's a DH race, why not run DH tires? I don't understand all the talk of tires which have kleenex for sidewalls. Check out some Kujo DH 2.35s, or even 2.5s, but the latter are a bit heavy for a pedaling course like D'ville.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Sharp rocks

I didn't see any.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    I would. It's a DH race, why not run DH tires? I don't understand all the talk of tires which have kleenex for sidewalls. Check out some Kujo DH 2.35s, or even 2.5s, but the latter are a bit heavy for a pedaling course like D'ville.
    I said I'll be using WTB Weirwolf 2.5's. Hardly kleenex and preferable to the Kujos.

Whether or not I go for the full DH side walls, the "freeride" sidewalls (in between the race and the Lazer DH versions) or go the race - lightweight version - I am undecided.

Regardless, I promise you - you will see nothing of me, but my dust!

I dig trails!

Doh! Does that mean the start will be at Packer Lake (if my memory serves me correctly)? This makes things more interesting. If so will it be up the road or is it up a trail?

Pass me the oxygen please.

Whatever the route. Good times!

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Sunrise

a new trail called Sunrise could potentially be the starting point, elev. 7,100'. it was built last fall by the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship and it flows so nice. the cross country may use this route as well. with the snow pack its looking like mid June before it sees any knobbies on it
    Attached Images Attached Images

I dig trails!
    a new trail called Sunrise could potentially be the starting point, elev. 7,100'. it was built last fall by the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship and it flows so nice. the cross country may use this route as well. with the snow pack its looking like mid June before it sees any knobbies on it
    Nice! And thanks for the new trails! It is greatly appreciated.

Mr. P

Bike Geek

wtb

XC for me. I am thinking of running wtb moto 2.24 in front, and a ust weirwolf 2.1 in back to help soften up the tail end of my nrs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've decided on Michelin...

I'm doing the downhill race and have decided on a Michelin 16 2.5 for the front and a Michelin 24 2.5 in the back. These are both tubeless downhill tires with really strong sidewalls. The sharp rocks up in Downieville eat sidewalls as well as rear deraileurs. So, I'll bring an extra dropout just in case I bust the deraileur on a rock. I'll convert the rear to a single speed if the deraileur gets destroyed as I've seen it happen to quite a few up there.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Ok, the tire selection has been made ,, now the question is to use Stans or to use tubes?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    what are thoughts on the Bonty Jones XR?

I found this post searching for some other option than tubes that I kill every week so sorry for the OT topic but I was just looking at this event today. I am a noobie but would like to run in the "sport" catagory.

I'll tell what I ride though

GF cobia 29er and I weight probably 2bills with my gear. I'd appreciate any suggestions for me making it though the course and having fun - that's my goal.

thx..

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonMiller
    what are thoughts on the Bonty Jones XR?

I found this post searching for some other option than tubes that I kill every week so sorry for the OT topic but I was just looking at this event today. I am a noobie but would like to run in the "sport" catagory.

I'll tell what I ride though

GF cobia 29er and I weight probably 2bills with my gear. I'd appreciate any suggestions for me making it though the course and having fun - that's my goal.

thx..
    DH on a Cobia??? Wow, that's pretty wild! If you are really going to ride a 29er at anywear near race speeds, on the DH or XC Downieville courses, the only 29er tire I'd even consider is the Exiwolf. I have ridden the large XR 29er tires in D'ville quite a bit. But they fall WAY short of the Exi's in both the toughness and traction departments. Just don't try the Exi's in sticky mud.

We bigwheel folk just don't yet have a DH capable 29er tire, the Exi'x are at their limits on a 5x5 29er all mountain bike. Having spoken with Mark Weir about just this D'ville DH tire issue, I know that he won't consider less than the way heavy dual ply DH skins on his race bike. But then most humans would not consider riding the speeds that he does on the DH course.

29erchico

screamer

exi vs weirwolf for XC

29erchico:
    Have you ridden the weirwolfs, and if so how would you compare them to the exi's for the XC course? I'm on a 5x5 26-er, currently running weirwolf 2.1s. I really like them, but am intrigued by the exi's rounder profile.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie
    29erchico:
    Have you ridden the weirwolfs, and if so how would you compare them to the exi's for the XC course? I'm on a 5x5 26-er, currently running weirwolf 2.1s. I really like them, but am intrigued by the exi's rounder profile.
    No one has tried this tire yet at Downy since it is brand new but it looks like a winner. It is the Weirwolf 2.55 lt. It has a round profile unlike previous weirwolfs.

Huge tire, round profile, short knobs at 690 grams for the race version, 770 grams for the freeride version.

It is the one picture up front. Exiwolf 2,1 is on the back. I think the extra cush will be perfect for the Downy rocks. And the short knobs will be perfect for the rocks and banked corners.

fc

screamer
    Kewl! Are those real-world weights for the 2.55LT, because the WTB website says something a little different (760 race, 790 FR)?
    Then there's the issue of whether this would clear my chainstay...

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I think the extra cush will be perfect for the Downy rocks. And the short knobs will be perfect for the rocks and banked corners.

fc
    Me thinks race speeds and loose conditions in said turns will quickly overwhelm those knobs. All it takes is a few roundish loose rocks a little bigger than the knobs to turn the rocks into ball bearings. Even the Weir statement you posted discusses drift in the loose. He described it as "fun"

The upper part of the course is definately specific to the original Weirwolf.

That said, the LT's should be good tires up there at non-racing speeds.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Ok, the tire selection has been made ,, now the question is to use Stans or to use tubes?
    Did you decide whether or not you wanted to run Stan's yet?

This will be my first trip to Downieville, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. On my Cannondale Jekyll 800 using a 2.3 Weirwolf front and a 2.24 Mutano Raptor rear (using Stans on both tires), I've flatted twice in the past year due to rocks - once at Northstar on Karpiel, and once on North Burma at Annadel.

I'm thinking of trying the XC event on a Specialized FSR I'm building up with 5" front travel and 4" rear, and I'm still not sure which tires to run. With all the speak of flats, I'm thinking of either the same combination I ran before, but with heavier sidewalls (2.3 Weirwolf Team F4 front a 2.24 Mutano Laser rear). I'm still undecided, and may try the 2.1 Weirwolf USTs.

From the looks of things, there doesn't seem to be any real trend as far as tire sizes go?

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    With all the speak of flats, I'm thinking of either the same combination I ran before, but with heavier sidewalls (2.3 Weirwolf Team F4 front a 2.24 Mutano Laser rear). I'm still undecided, and may try the 2.1 Weirwolf USTs.

From the looks of things, there doesn't seem to be any real trend as far as tire sizes go?
    It was Downieville XC that got me to try UST, and I'm really glad I did. I'll be running Mavic 819 rims and UST tires (see above) for the XC. I am a big guy, about 198lbs, and I really like not getting pinch flats! Stan's sounds nice, but beefy sidewalls are nicer. Try UST.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DH Tires

I flatted 2-3 times on my last downhill run in D-ville last summer. That was using Maxxis Minion 2.7 in the front and Maxxis Highroller 2.5 in the rear. I was using regular tubes and about 30lbs of air pressure. These were thick walled downill tires. For the race this year I will be going tubeless and will definitely be running downhill tires. I am undecided on the wheels but I have a set of Deemax's that are UST and I add some Stans ceilent for extra protection. My other wheels are Mavic 721's which I run with a complete Stans No-Tubes kit. I am going to run a Michelin Comp 16 2.5 Soft compound in the ffront and either a 2.2 or 2.5 Comp 24 soft compound in the rear. I like the 2.5's but want to try out a 2.2 this weekend and see how that is.

The downhill course eats sidewalls and I will only run downhill tires up there.

Jun 2006

2.55 LT Weir is good for DH

I rode this again last weekend at D-ville. I have the inner peace version. I run a 2.3 weir on the rear rim.

My first trip to downie 3 weeks ago I got a pinch flat on the second run down, but I was running it with very little air pressure with an under sized tube. I realized that my tubes were sized for my usual 2.1 to 2.3 size tires. So I got a DH tube that looks a little thicker and is rated 2.5 to 3.5.

No flats and I ran it at 33psi the whole time. I think this tire is a great tire with less air in it because all that width really lies down and grips when you're running less psi. Those knobs are so small that running it with high PSI means there won't much rubber touching the trail. The low tread design is great for speed! Get a DH tube and figure out how little air pressure you can get away with.

Watch out podium here I come or, realistically, I at least hope to finish!

Jan 2006
    I used the 2.3 maxxis highroller UST... it was my first time riding that trail so I thought it held on great for me... too bad I didn't hold on lol

mtbr member
    I'll be using the Mutano 2.4 race. I've ridden this tire with Stans at downieville 10-20 times with NO flats. I'll be doing the XC & DH race this year, glad to hear there is more climbing on the DH race
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I won my Sport age division (XC) last year on Schwalbe King Jim 2.3's. They are awesome. Oh, on a hardtail too.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

weekend worrier
    Sounds like you'll be fine w/ dual-ply DH tires, although I've never needed them there. IMO, running Stans or 50+ psi and a decently large single-ply tire, i.e., 2.3 or larger, is enough for the Downieville DH race. I've raced five times and have never developed a flat when either running high pressure or Stans. Obviously, you'll have to watch out for "pinch flat rock" at the end of Third Divide if you're running single-ply tires. Good luck, I wasn't lucky enough to get a spot this year before it sold out.

Apr 2004
    I ride Downieville all of the time. Stan's is a must. Plus run as big a tire as you feel comfortable with. Flats cost a lot more time than heavy tires. I can't tell you how many really good riders lose out because of flats. Weir even flatted coming down the XC last year.

I've been running the start for a number of years now and I'll make it official. The rumours of the new section of trail beeing added at the top of the course has been prematurely released. The Sunrise trail won't be ready by the race date this year. So, no 400 feet of climbing at the start of the DH race. We may choose to start the DH race a little higher up on Gold Valley road just for logistical reasons but that won't add any extra uphill.

There are a couple of reroutes on 3rd divide and Pauley Creek. I recommend preriding the course to get familiar with them. Or, at least make yourself aware that the course is not exactly as it has always been in the past.

Members who have read this thread: 0