What happened to the new stunt on Mailboxes (SC trail)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What happened to the new stunt on Mailboxes (SC trail)

Just got back from a trip and the large new stunt seems to be torn down. Too bad as it looked/rode good and the drop was well built.

Did someone get hurt or was it never legal in the first place?

mtbr member
    I don' think anything in the UCSC trail network is actually legal (trails and stunts/obstacles both), is it?

Absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullrider
    Just got back from a trip and the large new stunt seems to be torn down. Too bad as it looked/rode good and the drop was well built.

Did someone get hurt or was it never legal in the first place?
    There's a pretty long conversation about it on RM

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94219

Feb 2004

just in case...

..anyone cares, Mailboxes goes thru this ALL the time. The only stunts that get torn down normally are the ones up top, because that is technically someone's private property. There were tire tracks from a truck up there and I have seen a cop up there, not a ranger, because it is private property and someone who lives up there calls the cops and their property line stops somewhere near those first set of doubles. I am ALL for building stunts, and have aided in building some of the ones on the lower part of mailboxes. But when the top stunt was being built, I could hear it on Mailboxes Etc. pretty far away. We saw some kids driving a van up there when building, and the sad fact is that you just can't make it that obvious. Sux that the trails here are so illegal, and I say keep up the good work, just be a little more careful and quiet. Otherwise, we might face some bigger problems than stunts being brutally torn down.....it can get worse.

the bomb

a van's not so smart.

Yeah, my husband and I were talking about that this weekend. too many people coming in from the top and it pisses the land owner off. I've never actually gone in that way. Only from the middle and up. We were wondering, maybe alot of people don't know there's another way in.

I noticed a big increase in traffic once that thing went up. Biggest thing I ever saw up there, I was surprised when I saw it. anyhoo

Quote Originally Posted by downhillprincess
    ..anyone cares, Mailboxes goes thru this ALL the time. The only stunts that get torn down normally are the ones up top, because that is technically someone's private property. There were tire tracks from a truck up there and I have seen a cop up there, not a ranger, because it is private property and someone who lives up there calls the cops and their property line stops somewhere near those first set of doubles. I am ALL for building stunts, and have aided in building some of the ones on the lower part of mailboxes. But when the top stunt was being built, I could hear it on Mailboxes Etc. pretty far away. We saw some kids driving a van up there when building, and the sad fact is that you just can't make it that obvious. Sux that the trails here are so illegal, and I say keep up the good work, just be a little more careful and quiet. Otherwise, we might face some bigger problems than stunts being brutally torn down.....it can get worse.
    Last edited by pfunk; 08-19-2004 at 10:56 PM. Reason: further thoughts
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Ambrose
    I don' think anything in the UCSC trail network is actually legal (trails and stunts/obstacles both), is it?
    aw jeez.

the bomb

For some reason…

your avatar really creeps me out
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

mtbr member
    I was recently told that my avatar reminded someone of that ghost/car/coffee commercial that's been going around again lately. (I was going to link it, but it looks like the site I last saw it on has taken it down.)

It's too bad about Mailbox. But it doesn't sounds like there's any way to insure stunts will stay up, given the private land above, and that the trail isn't open anyway.

Anyone know if there's any actual legal FR spots in the area, similar to what Mailbox has?

Feb 2004

legal shmegal

NO legal freeride trails in SC....all the stuff from UCSC down to Highway 9 is illegal, and Mailboxes and Fenceline and whatever else is fun is all illegal. MR.E's boyz and others are building a jump park in Aptos which should be awesome.....Just ride quietly and prove dumb if caught....and people should be careful about how "open" they are about telling other people about the secret trails. Totally sux that it has to be like this.....but I am afraid that soon all the trails will be guarded by armed Danger Rangers and we won't be able to ride anywhere but on the fire roads of Wilder.......and who wants to do that?

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MVRIDER
    There's a pretty long conversation about it on RM

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94219
    That's sad.

Those idiots don't even see that they are the problem.

Hurray for the folks that tore it down.