What happened to the new stunt on Mailboxes (SC trail)- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    76

    What happened to the new stunt on Mailboxes (SC trail)

    Just got back from a trip and the large new stunt seems to be torn down. Too bad as it looked/rode good and the drop was well built.

    Did someone get hurt or was it never legal in the first place?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Knucklehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    528
    I don' think anything in the UCSC trail network is actually legal (trails and stunts/obstacles both), is it?

  3. #3
    Absurd
    Reputation: MVRIDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullrider
    Just got back from a trip and the large new stunt seems to be torn down. Too bad as it looked/rode good and the drop was well built.

    Did someone get hurt or was it never legal in the first place?
    There's a pretty long conversation about it on RM

    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94219

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    42

    just in case...

    ..anyone cares, Mailboxes goes thru this ALL the time. The only stunts that get torn down normally are the ones up top, because that is technically someone's private property. There were tire tracks from a truck up there and I have seen a cop up there, not a ranger, because it is private property and someone who lives up there calls the cops and their property line stops somewhere near those first set of doubles. I am ALL for building stunts, and have aided in building some of the ones on the lower part of mailboxes. But when the top stunt was being built, I could hear it on Mailboxes Etc. pretty far away. We saw some kids driving a van up there when building, and the sad fact is that you just can't make it that obvious. Sux that the trails here are so illegal, and I say keep up the good work, just be a little more careful and quiet. Otherwise, we might face some bigger problems than stunts being brutally torn down.....it can get worse.

  5. #5
    the bomb
    Reputation: pfunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    531

    a van's not so smart.

    Yeah, my husband and I were talking about that this weekend. too many people coming in from the top and it pisses the land owner off. I've never actually gone in that way. Only from the middle and up. We were wondering, maybe alot of people don't know there's another way in.

    I noticed a big increase in traffic once that thing went up. Biggest thing I ever saw up there, I was surprised when I saw it. anyhoo



    Quote Originally Posted by downhillprincess
    ..anyone cares, Mailboxes goes thru this ALL the time. The only stunts that get torn down normally are the ones up top, because that is technically someone's private property. There were tire tracks from a truck up there and I have seen a cop up there, not a ranger, because it is private property and someone who lives up there calls the cops and their property line stops somewhere near those first set of doubles. I am ALL for building stunts, and have aided in building some of the ones on the lower part of mailboxes. But when the top stunt was being built, I could hear it on Mailboxes Etc. pretty far away. We saw some kids driving a van up there when building, and the sad fact is that you just can't make it that obvious. Sux that the trails here are so illegal, and I say keep up the good work, just be a little more careful and quiet. Otherwise, we might face some bigger problems than stunts being brutally torn down.....it can get worse.
    Last edited by pfunk; 08-19-2004 at 10:56 PM. Reason: further thoughts
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

  6. #6
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Ambrose
    I don' think anything in the UCSC trail network is actually legal (trails and stunts/obstacles both), is it?
    aw jeez.

  7. #7
    the bomb
    Reputation: pfunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    531

    For some reason…

    your avatar really creeps me out
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Knucklehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    528
    I was recently told that my avatar reminded someone of that ghost/car/coffee commercial that's been going around again lately. (I was going to link it, but it looks like the site I last saw it on has taken it down.)

    It's too bad about Mailbox. But it doesn't sounds like there's any way to insure stunts will stay up, given the private land above, and that the trail isn't open anyway.

    Anyone know if there's any actual legal FR spots in the area, similar to what Mailbox has?

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    42

    legal shmegal

    NO legal freeride trails in SC....all the stuff from UCSC down to Highway 9 is illegal, and Mailboxes and Fenceline and whatever else is fun is all illegal. MR.E's boyz and others are building a jump park in Aptos which should be awesome.....Just ride quietly and prove dumb if caught....and people should be careful about how "open" they are about telling other people about the secret trails. Totally sux that it has to be like this.....but I am afraid that soon all the trails will be guarded by armed Danger Rangers and we won't be able to ride anywhere but on the fire roads of Wilder.......and who wants to do that?

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by MVRIDER
    There's a pretty long conversation about it on RM

    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94219
    That's sad.

    Those idiots don't even see that they are the problem.

    Hurray for the folks that tore it down.

Similar Threads

  1. Palmetto Trail Closure (SC) Please help!-x-post
    By litespeedchick in forum Southeast/Midsouth - GA, TN, AL, FL, MS, LA, AR
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 05:09 PM
  2. what is sierra club's stance on wilderness?
    By head in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:03 AM
  3. Trail Rage - Jogger pepper sprays two cyclists..
    By Fixeyfreeride in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 06:48 PM
  4. Shelving Rock Falls Big Loop info?
    By Adirondack Blues in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 12:35 PM
  5. Proposed Skeggs Trail Management Plan
    By font9a in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 08:35 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.