What bike to add....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

What bike to add....

NorCal team....
    Looking to add a stablemate for my Ibis HD4. Started thinking I needed a "just a back-up bike" but the more I am honest I just want another bike. I am wanting a 29er as I have never ridden one and looking for something in the 120-140mm travel. Wanting something that is a great-pretty good climber for the longer climb days. Although I am not the fastest (surely on the climbs) I am not easy on bikes so something that can handle a 200+ rider (cracked the last 4 of my bikes).
    I was looking at '19 Orbea Occam TR but thinking it may be a bit slender for me. Also the new 2020 Occam looks pretty good as well. NS Snabb 130 Plus looks nice but not sure how great it climbs from the 1 review.
    Most of my riding is in Auburn and Tahoe areas as well. Trying to stay around $2600ish.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    New bike for $2600 is hard.
    Ripmo AF would be my choice.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Id buy a Ripley LS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    Id buy a Ripley LS.

I think this is the perfect complement to your HD4 - 120 mm travel 29er

Or depending on the trails you plan on writing you could go with a modern geometry 29 Hardtail

mtbr member
    Another vote for a hardtail. I have a Pivot Mach 6 - very similar to your HD4. I hardly ride it now that I got a hardtail with good geo.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    pinkbike might have somehting relevant, Vitus Escarpe 29 VR, they seem to like it

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I just did something similar, and got a hardtail to play stable-mate to my Ibis Ripmo.

Went budget and grabbed a 2020 Specialized Fuse 27.5, figuring I can deal with a bit more weight. The plan is to shamelessly abuse it in wet weather w/o having to worry about rusty linkage.

Sub-$1400 out the door.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Agree with the hardtail recommendation. I have a 140f/130r FS 29er. And have a steel hardtail as my "second" bike. Geared for awhile and just built it up single speed. Hardtail helps develop the "pick smooth lines" skills so much. Plus it's just a lot of fun.

A 140mm rear travel bike in a 29er is basically just a replacement for your HD4 and is not really a compliment.

Something like the Ibis Ripley may be different enough, but chances are it's still a replacement for the HD4.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    NorCal team....
    Looking to add a stablemate for my Ibis HD4. Started thinking I needed a "just a back-up bike" but the more I am honest I just want another bike. I am wanting a 29er as I have never ridden one and looking for something in the 120-140mm travel. Wanting something that is a great-pretty good climber for the longer climb days. Although I am not the fastest (surely on the climbs) I am not easy on bikes so something that can handle a 200+ rider (cracked the last 4 of my bikes).
    I was looking at '19 Orbea Occam TR but thinking it may be a bit slender for me. Also the new 2020 Occam looks pretty good as well. NS Snabb 130 Plus looks nice but not sure how great it climbs from the 1 review.
    Most of my riding is in Auburn and Tahoe areas as well. Trying to stay around $2600ish.

Any suggestions?
    My Pivot Mach 429SL shares space with an even funner second bike.... a titanium Singlespeed 29er with 120mm front travel:

"This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    If you're trying to stay around $2600, I'd go used on pinkbike. It should allow you to go carbon with nicer components than buying new. You won't necessarily get the latest and greatest geometry but that's how you can get value.

Moderator Moderator
    There seem to be a lot of used SC HTLT's for sale at the moment, at good prices.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    There seem to be a lot of used SC HTLT's for sale at the moment, at good prices.
    Yep, just zero in on a bike that had a recent model year update and you'll score a good deal on a 1 or 2 year old bike. Check the Ripleys, Fuels, Tallboys, etc.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Im about to add a dirt jumper to my stable. Funny, the only subforum seemingly missing from MTBR.com forums is that of Dirt Jumper I wonder why that could be???
    Dont frail and blow if youre going to Braille and Flow.