Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I’ll be at Waterdog
    I picked up these shorts from Dirt Rag made by Royal Racing. They are easily my favorite riding shorts. The fit is phenomenal, the material's very breathable and the quality is excellent. Also has the logo of one of the most gangster bike mags on em.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is the best product you've used this year?-image.jpg  

“We bring Saturdays” ~ Josh Homme

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    I picked up these shorts from Dirt Rag made by Royal Racing. They are easily my favorite riding shorts. The fit is phenomenal, the material's very breathable and the quality is excellent. Also has the logo of one of the most gangster bike mags on em.
    Hey, what size did you get? I just tried to buy a pair. They only have large, but I think that'll be to big for my 32" ass. What do you think?

mtbr member

What is the best product you've used this year?

fc, the two helmets commented plus the vipper are standard gear in my group in Europe. The previous version of the parachute was much better vented but did not pass the US test. The casco vipper is great but looks to big in the head. The bell is currently one step ahead of the rest.

I wouldn't use them in the bay area, but for technical terrain and trail jumps they are great and save many teeth. Word.

Regarding the GD, I also agree with you. Mine is in a box, while I have two LEV's in two bikes. For sure they will not last as a GD but it makes my rides much more enjoyable.

I’ll be at Waterdog
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Hey, what size did you get? I just tried to buy a pair. They only have large, but I think that'll be to big for my 32" ass. What do you think?
    I got the XL and wear 36" pants. The have Velcro straps so that they can be snugged up a bit. I wonder if you'd be able to find any fit info on Royal Racing's site? Good luck.
    “We bring Saturdays” ~ Josh Homme

Silence! I kill you!
    I just picked up a pair of Specialized Enduro Pro shorts and an Enduro Comp shirt. Very comfy both on & off the bike. I wore them commuting on my road bike. Looking forward to an mtb ride in them when I get back from vacation next week.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    I got the XL and wear 36" pants. The have Velcro straps so that they can be snugged up a bit. I wonder if you'd be able to find any fit info on Royal Racing's site? Good luck.
    Yeah, that's what I did, looked on their site. I measured last night and got 33.5" so, I went ahead and ordered the large, which starts at 34". I think they'll be ok, like you said, they have the Velcro straps.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    ...full face helmets... But with helmets like these available now, it is a legitimate option.
    fc
    I have a sincere interest in going full-face, but my question is; Will this pick up in popularity among the riding population as a whole? How well will these be accepted?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I have a sincere interest in going full-face, but my question is; Will this pick up in popularity among the riding population as a whole? How well will these be accepted?
    I've been wearing a Met Parachute for a couple years now. I wear it even if I'm going for a quick spin on the road. I'm not concerned what others think. Just do what is right for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Specialized Henge Expert saddle.

My arse has never been happier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    XTR 11spd group

Social Rider
    Strava.

President of the Internet
    2014 was a year of many firsts for me: 29er, tubeless, thru axle, carbon frame etc (yes, I'm behind the curve), but none of those are "new" to most of y'all.

The Fox Ranger short is now my go to for hot days from a drawer full of shorts. It's light, breathes well and has nice zippered pockets. Though I usually use a PI chamois.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Yup, they will pick up in popularity, acceptance and useabilty. Just like knee pads and flat pedals, options for more active descending are gaining in popularity.

The biggest market is:
    "the ones who won't wear downhill pads or downhill helmets but have to show up at work on Monday."

Let's face it. All DH gear from 5 years ago sucks at Demo Forest. The bikes and the armor is just too heavy.

But now bikes are 26 lbs. Knee pads are 300 grams a pair and this helmet is 700 grams. They're light and they ventilate. So it becomes a viable option now.
    IPA will save America

Magically Delicious
    I've been wearing a Met Parachute for a couple years now. I wear it even if I'm going for a quick spin on the road. I'm not concerned what others think. Just do what is right for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yup, they will pick up in popularity, acceptance and useabilty. Just like knee pads and flat pedals, options for more active descending are gaining in popularity.

The biggest market is:
    "the ones who won't wear downhill pads or downhill helmets but have to show up at work on Monday."

Let's face it. All DH gear from 5 years ago sucks at Demo Forest. The bikes and the armor is just too heavy.

But now bikes are 26 lbs. Knee pads are 300 grams a pair and this helmet is 700 grams. They're light and they ventilate. So it becomes a viable option now.
    My interest in going full-coverage is a personal issue that I will likely go based on the protection afforded.

And, the question regarding the probable popularity and acceptance was more of a strategic question trying to gauge the the retail direction beyond DH.

I would like to see overall community acceptance to include cross country. I've never been one to 'go with the flow' when it came to doing what interested me. I don't need the favorable reception of group mentality to flavor my direction.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    My interest in going full-coverage is a personal issue that I will likely go based on the protection afforded.

And, the question regarding the probable popularity and acceptance was more of a strategic question trying to gauge the the retail direction beyond DH.

I would like to see overall community acceptance to include cross country. I've never been one to 'go with the flow' when it came to doing what interested me. I don't need the favorable reception of group mentality to flavor my direction.
    Yup, I see it in my aging group of riders. We were all XC riders.

But now, as we work on skills, I found a group of 5 of us on a ride all riding 6 inch travel bikes, baggy clothing, all knee pads, some flat pedals, one full face (super 2r).

Looks like a Whistler crew but we bag 5000 feet of climbing and a ton of jumps in 4 hours!!

Times are changing. Our mindset is changing and the equipment is making it possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is the best product you've used this year?-img_8629.jpg  

IPA will save America

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    the Giro VR90's are freaking awesome

Name:  EmpireVR90LTD_full2_large.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  41.0 KB

Wasn't sure I'd like the lace ups....but way, way more comfortable than straps and buckles IMO

Also I discovered that MTB riding in casual roadie gear works well too (Giro new road)

note: I do work for Giro so I am biased
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Raceface Wide/narrow chainring (goes all the way down to 30t for that all-mountain setup) and clutch Shimano (saint) derailleur. Finally got rid of the chainguide contraptions altogether on my trail bike. Ahhhh the stealthiness.

mtbr member

Social acceptance will come....try with this winner combo ! (Carnival picture)

Magically Delicious
    Nice jacket, but do you have a tie to match?

mtbr member
    Same here. I had 10 hours of reconstruction surgery to my face after an MX accident. I had a helmet with a removable front section, and I took it off for a short time. Just long enough to **** myself up. I was very lucky to come out of it scar free. So, I always wear a full face helmet, even if I just take a quick spin around the block. It's very nice that the newer full face helmets are light and comfortable. How they would hold up in a bad crash, I'm not really sure. But, it makes me feel a little safer. And after my crash, it took a long time to feel safe on two wheels again.

mtbr member

They are good for enduro, trail, aggressive AM or however you want to call it...they are not DH helmets though....

let's say low/medium speed impacts, asuming you have it correctly fastened.

I have seen ugly accidents using them, but many more times I have seen them saving teeth/eyes and making people end laughing at what would otherwise have been a terrible accident. Including me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post
    They are good for enduro, trail, aggressive AM or however you want to call it...they are not DH helmets though....

let's say low/medium speed impacts, asuming you have it correctly fastened.

I have seen ugly accidents using them, but many more times I have seen them saving teeth/eyes and making people end laughing at what would otherwise have been a terrible accident. Including me.
    Yes, I agree with that. My riding style is aggressive trail, and I think they are good for that.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 02-19-2015 at 07:49 PM.

Magically Delicious
    G

Yes, I agree with that. My riding style is aggressive trail, and I think they are good for that.
    Exactly what I'm looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12