Western States Trail on Mountain Bikes? Thank you GlobalBiorythms!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Western States Trail on Mountain Bikes? Thank you GlobalBiorythms!

On Saturday, 40 or so of Jim Northey's friends got bussed (for free by Norm Schoenhoff, owner of Whitewater Excitement) to Robinson Flat to drop in on and sample the "canyon" section of the WS trail. This chunk of the trail will be included in next year's Tahoe Sierra Epic 100. This race will cover much of the same route as the run and ride. Start paying attention to this race kids! It'll end up being one of the hardest tests out there. Our ride was a point to point chunk which in the end was 42 miles with 7,544ft of climbing and 11,994ft of descendingThere was everything from hike-a-bike climbs, technical downhills, flowing single track, the works. Climbers were rewarded as equally as descenders. I'm told it will be by qualification only and good thing! If you like epic, adventure riding then keep an eye on this. The weather was perfect, the riders a fine group of individuals, and the free shuttle, beer, food, and support by Jimmy and Norm made it a perfect day.

Thanks to everyone for a great and memorable adventure!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

GBE adventure rides are superlative

Last month i participated in my 1st ultra-endurance race at the Boggs Coolest 8/24, and had a really great experience. The Boggs course is really nice trail and flows great. Jim and his friendly crew know exactly how to put on a fun, challenging, memorable event.
    This weekend Jim sponsored a point to point adventure trail ride up in the Tahoe National Forest, for people who have competed in his races. He didn't tell us where we were going until just the day before, only that it was going to be very difficult, and to be prepared. Having done some supported road bike and trail rides on the moto, i was excited to be going on an mtb epic. No let down, We had more fun than anyone! Absolutely perfect weather, challenging, off the hook ripping trail, scenic, a little hard work on some steepass historic miner trail, and some great people. Obviously post ride brews, food, and stories followed. I believe this may become a classic trail ride so stay tuned.

Thank you Jim, we know you bust your tail to let us play.

mtb'er
    Glad I signed on for this one! It was great to ride tons of remote singletrack I've never been on before. Some amazing scenery and views. The sustained downhills sections were awesome... definitely had to be on your game. Man, everyone was all smiles at the bottom of each descent! The long uphills were challenging but mostly ride-able. The trails between Foresthill and the end (White Oak Flat) were a great way to finish... fun stuff in there! Thanks for planning, inviting and coordinating Jim!

Loading bikes at White Oak Flat

Bus ride... 30+ excited riders wondering what the adventure will be:

Jim goes over the route at Robinson Flat before departure:

Losing my WS virginity:

(photo by R. Robinson)

A nice section of the Western States trail!

Some tasty looking swimming holes far below (N. Fork of the M. Fork of the American River):

Bombing down to Swinging Bridge(?). This was a white-knuckle descent for sure:

N. Fork of the M. Fork:

Tyrone Shoelaces did this ride on his new rigid, carbon Niner singlespeed

The start of the climb up to Deadwood. There was a fair amount of hike-a-bike at the start... unless you were a pro rider from Chico... Timmel crushed it!:

Everyone hiking:

The other guy on a rigid bike:

The KILLER downhill from Devil's Thumb to El Dorado Canyon.... so long and SO AWESOME! I liked this section even better than the DH to Swinging Bridge

Final switchbacks to the El Dorado Cyn bridge:

Rinsing off some dust before the big climb to Michigan Bluff:

Cruising towards Foresthill:

Jim had grub and a cooler full of beverages for the crew at the end (Thanks man!):

Besides ear to ear grins, everyone had pretty good racoon faces at the end:

The only carnage I saw:

Link to short vid:

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Awesome ride!!! Thanks Jim for the pain and the memories!
    Now that we know that this is legal trail I can see a lot of potential for future epic rides that could be called Downieville on steroids.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fun!

12K of dusty descending...no wonder my brake pads are almost gone.

Thanks again to Jim for putting this together.
    Romani ite domum

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer

Tyrone Shoelaces did this ride on his new rigid, carbon Niner singlespeed
    ^^And I would not recommend it nor do it again!!!!

GREAT ride Jim and gang!! I had a great time and never dreamed of linking all of that stuff together via MTB. The pictures speak for themselves....next years Tahoe-Sierre Epic 100 (or whatever the name ends up being) is going to be one hell of a race.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    G
    Now these are numbers to smile about
    Elevation Gain: 5,853 ft
    Elevation Loss: 10,332 ft

mtbr member
    great pictures. when is that race?

mtbr member

Thank you all!!

Can't wait till the next ride at the end of October. It was nice to see the who's who of MTB racing show up for the Free Epic ride!! You were all great!! Almost 8,000ft of climbing and 11,500 ft of decending!! in only 39 miles!!
    I guess I will have to get a few kegs of beer next time. The 5 cases of beer and food was gone in no time.
    Riding is great, giving is better. Free beer is the BEST!! See you all at the Tahoe -Sierra 100!!.
    Thank you Sean and Mary Allan as always your great friends!! Hey Aren Timmel, Rich and Dave! Do you think you could do that ride any faster!! In 30 years never seen anyone climb Devils thumb.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

More pictures of the Epic!!

Some more pictures.

Sweater
    So is this section of the Western States legal to bikes or was this a special event permit thing?
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    All National Forest and BLM Lands,, all legal,
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    All National Forest and BLM Lands,, all legal,
    I am confused...I thought the Western States trail was entirely off limits to MTB....that only feet and horses could journey on it. Is it open to bikes, or was this ride a special permit event or something?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy
    I am confused...I thought the Western States trail was entirely off limits to MTB....that only feet and horses could journey on it. Is it open to bikes, or was this ride a special permit event or something?
    As Zon stated, the sections that we rode were all BLM and National Forrest territory. Open to all. There was not a single "no bike" sign anywhere...just the regular old Western States trail markers.

I "believe" that the section of the Western States that IS no bikes is the fun part (so I hear... ) starting at California St. in Foresthill on down to Ruck-a-Chucky.

Someone may want to confirm this though.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    The only illegal sections are in the Granite Chief Wilderness, duh,, and the ASRA. Hopefully someday ASRA will open up,, some sweet stuff up by Auburn Lake Trails and Cool.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member

If you were to ask...

a local equestrian or trail runner they would likely tell you it is illegal for bikes. Most folks around here and everywhere else seem to believe it is illegal as well. That is just the way they like it. After relocating to Auburn in 95' I found that this local myth was thought to be true by 99% of mountain bikers and outdoor enthusiests. In fact there were some MTBR threads back in the early 2000's where folks...including myself got flamed by other MTB'rs for riding these "illegal sections"

Some of the best sections however are off limits...once you get into the ASRA. I know this because I have ridden my....horse on there.
    :p

mtbr member
    the trail runners I see on the illegal sections of WST are just glad to see other people using the trails!

There is some SWEET stuff up there. Be warned though, lots of hikeabike depending on what ways you go!

mtbr member

the I word

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    the trail runners I see on the illegal sections of WST are just glad to see other people using the trails!

There is some SWEET stuff up there. Be warned though, lots of hikeabike depending on what ways you go!
    BTW....the chance of actually being "cited" for riding one of the so called "illegal" sections (including the ASRA) is exactley 0%. There is a reason for that too.
    :p

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Looks cool! Was this the free ride that Jim was offering to people who raced in one of his events this year?

How strange that I was very close to you guys riding the Iowa Hill Rd Loop from Auburn to Colfax to Foresthill and back :P

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    BTW....the chance of actually being "cited" for riding one of the so called "illegal" sections (including the ASRA) is exactley 0%. There is a reason for that too.
    No rangers patrolling?

mtbr member
    never seen one. It's remote man. Creek crossings, hikeabike, overgrown, cliffs. It's tough just to hike in parts.

Which is why it is some of the best singletrack we have, illegal or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    does anybody know which sections of WS are legal/illegal to mountain bikes?

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by seoulriding View Post
    does anybody know which sections of WS are legal/illegal to mountain bikes?
    I believe it's legal from the Granite Chief wilderness to the ASRA.

Members who have read this thread: 3