Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!- Mtbr.com
    Formerly dvo

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!

Starting the week off right in Downieville
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Been riding late afternoons with lights for the pavement ride home. November will bring the big lights out.
    Maybe some rain? Someday?

the half breed devil
    today, i waited a long time before i suited out and ventured into the park. work has been grueling and i needed half the day to just rest.

when i did roll through the park, i kept my routes easy, knowing i'd have to clip on the lights heading back from ocean beach:

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-screen-shot-2020-10-24-8.59.06-pm.jpg

however, by the time i got a little more than halfway through my ride the light started to fail and the niteriders got clipped to the bars and helmet soon after i stopped to get this image on a favorite section of singletrack through a grassy area in the south central area of the park:

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-img-7754-1-.jpg

this evening, i mildly surprised myself by riding over a big exposed root not far from this place, especially since i was aboard a rigid steel singlespeed. on my 5010, i can just bash into things, on the monkey, bashing straight into some objects might send a man ass-over-ankles.

this little root section used to be much more exposed and will catch a pedal coming uphill if you're not paying attention:

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-img-7755-1-.jpg

after pedaling the easiest trails and fire lanes in the western end of golden gate park to ocean beach, it was time to pedal back home, where i stopped to check out the big ferris wheel that's been erected near the exploratorium:

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-img-7757-1-.jpg

i'm not sure about my riding plans over the next few days, as tomorrow is New Kitten Day at my place. i've arranged for the adoption of these two fine eight week old fellows from a rescue organization called saving grace. their names will be melvin and marvin:

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-img_4463-1.jpeg

that concludes my first ride report for the week; hopefully i'll get another chance or two to head out after work in the next few days.

happy trails, everyone!!!

mtbr member
    Cutting back on posting but today was so glorious hard not too! 13 local showing one of the locals the new stuff. So frickin good

Pics are of some of the older trails but the new stuff is so good didnít want to stop and break up the flow! Oh, and Iím nursing a broken big toe right now but ainít gonna stop me from riding, itís just a flesh wound!

The Half Pipe is always photogenic

Dropzone is ALWAYS a crowd pleaser!

The broken toe looking more broken by the minute lol

Havenít provided a trail update in awhile. The new trail, ďLazarus TaxonĒ is now getting jumps added. Added a killer hip yesterday and since I had the chainsaw up, cut and staged wood for the next two box / gap jumps. Looking forward to making shit spicy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-hp.jpg  

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-dz.jpg  

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-1cdcc266-a612-4d56-93eb-5b39905a31a5.jpg  

Last edited by roughster; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:36 AM.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Formerly dvo
    Had a great weekend up in the mountains. Downieville downhill yesterday, Hoot/Scottís/Miners today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

rj2
    mtbr member
    Post-ride at Demo today

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-img_2279.jpg
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    42 miles of singlespeed gravel fun in the headlands. Itís been years since I rode through Tennessee valley and based on the number of clueless weekend warriors itíll be years before I ride through again.

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-img_2914.jpg
    Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-img_2934.jpg

mtbr member
    Auburn Thurs, Downieville Friday, Christmas Valley Sat and Nevada City today..

Thank God family was ok....

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2 View Post
    Post-ride at Demo today

Everytime I go to demo I ride then leave. Every time I go to demo I see several groups hanging out like itís a campsite.

That looks ridiculously fun, and is yet more evidence piling up that Iím doing demo wrong. All wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbitt View Post
    Everytime I go to demo I ride then leave. Every time I go to demo I see several groups hanging out like itís a campsite.

That looks ridiculously fun, and is yet more evidence piling up that Iím doing demo wrong. All wrong.
    Definitely not encouraging it, since Demo parking lot is already a zoo (and should be courtesy about parking spaces), but if someone were selling hot links there, I'd hesitate a bit but then buy like three or four.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    Auburn Thurs, Downieville Friday, Christmas Valley Sat and Nevada City today..

Thank God family was ok....

Brian, are the damaged cranks a result of this car accident? Or is it time to upgrade to SixC?
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Definitely not encouraging it, since Demo parking lot is already a zoo (and should be courtesy about parking spaces), but if someone were selling hot links there, I'd hesitate a bit but then buy like three or four.
    Yeah, if you could get a permit to have a hot dog cart in the parking lot, you would sell out by 1pm every day.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Paper or plastic?
    Hawk's peak

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Brian, are the damaged cranks a result of this car accident? Or is it time to upgrade to SixC?
    No...it happened in Downieville.

Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    No...it happened in Downieville.

snapped a crank arm like this mid summer. it wasn't one big impact to crank either....probably a cumulative beating it had taken. i thought it was my cleats at first but then the pedal just fell right off. I had SLs...my buddy hooked me with Rs.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Also rode Downieville this weekend, can confirm that despite the dust the trails are running awesome! Get it before the snow comes. Greg at Downieville Outfitters is still running shuttles too (everyone wears masks).

mtbr member
    Rode downieville on saturday, except i climbed up from union flat. easy peasy.

Pack saddle loop has more braking bumps than a late summer demo flow! everything else good, although third divide is so dusty. Had the unfortunate luck to follow a group of 10 and then having to pass nearly all of them, so i had a literal caking of dust in my chin bar. might have to take the road less traveled (second divide?) next weekend.

Sunday i rode st charles hill which is quickly becoming my favorite trail in downieville. very old school, but getting out there is ass haha

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Rode most of Skeggs today. As a result of the high winds, there's a good amount of vegetation on the trail including limbs (though nothing that can't be moved away). Moved several of the larger branches and limbs off to the side this morning.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Rode Demo for the first time in 14 months (visiting my folks); couple of things I noticed. Most number of cars in the lot for a Monday afternoon I've seen in 15 years of riding there. Group ride endurobros in force, no social distancing (not shaming, maybe they are housemates or something). The number of braking bumps on even low speed corners is absolutely insane. Anything high speed is completely chewed up, to the point where I wish I had my enduro rig to smooth things out, rather than my trail bike. Is it the # of new/inexperienced riders/lack of rain/ebikes/#dentisttribe from this weekend? Flow trail I kinda get, but ridge has never been this bad, ever. Maybe will try sawpit instead next time. Anywhere to responsibly ride that isn't destroyed (by fire or overuse)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Last time I rode Sawpit there were times I thought "this is what skiing on the moon will feel like." Crazy moon dust, but tbh, the sketchiness made Sawpit more fun.

Rode the oink related trails my last visit there. Some serious moon dust on the steep short downslope bits, I'm unfamiliar with those trails and probably thought it was sketchier than what it is.

State is bone dry.

(Demo and anything resembling social distancing? Not happening.)

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Despite being stupid tired after chasing a fast rider on foot filming the new Oakland Pump Track the day before, I was somehow convinced to come out for a ride with Bike Somm at Bike Sommland... Quick note for next time, you can't execute Bike Somm moves when tired... HAHAHAHA

mtbr member
    Woke up before my alarm went off, I don't know but today seems kinda odd, no barking from the dogs, no smog and I cooked a breakfast with no hog... wait what was I going on about?

What a frickin morning! Cool air temps, not a soul on the hill but me and my thoughts and my iPhone pumping out a track selection perfectly suited for the mood.

There is a rhythm in swinging a pick axe that is easy to get lost in. When you hit that zone, you can just crank out the bench. This connector trail is being rode but was off camber, loose, and shitty. Not any more!

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-turn.jpg

Finished right as the sun came up. The second objective of the day was testing the new jump on Lazarus Taxon to see where the landing needs to be and appropriate gap for trail speed. I boosted it once with near disastrous consequences lol, so went back and just went standard trail speed ... straight into the rising sun:

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-sun.jpg

I still need clean up the jump a bit. Might add another rung to make it just a tad steeper. After getting the video, went back to the start and did a full pull. Man this thing is getting good!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Nice guys. Thanks for repersenting here!!!

Iím almost at the end of of my three week sentence with a tore up knee.ive been away from here to keep my mind occupied with other rad schit. Slim pickings

Iíll be riding next week!!
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    All I can say is that I actually rode on Sunday. Between fires threatening the park, terrible air quality, and too much on my plate, it had been since late July. Yeah, I sucked! But I was riding.
    Will you shut up, man?!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Trying to stay close enough to watch with fast riders is definitely not a possibility when you're tired as balls. Having a delayed reaction time sucks especially when you're following someone with local knowledge of the trails. Followed Bike Somm into doubling a rock and didn't know it was a hip. Yea, trying to pull off unknown local ninja moves while tired is pretty dumb...
    Also, never thought I'd meet someone who laughs more than I do on the ride! Kellen is a hoot!

mtbr member
    You only have so many sunrises you can watch in your life. Go out there and watch a few ... oh and might as well put in gap jumps while you're at it!

And yes we need some rain so I can truck up some packable dirt to smooth it all out! And yes of course I'll dig that next turn bigger!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-img_5028.jpg  

2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    May 2020
    that looks like a beautiful ride, toping out with a view like that. What trail is that?

mtbr member
    Its a new trail addition to an existing system on the outskirts of the Bay area. Nothing to write home about, but slowly getting attention.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Formerly dvo
    About last night.

I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    JMP is finally open again after what seemed like a week of red flag shenanigans.

Plenty of signs that the chain saw gnomes were out clearing large trees off Sequoia Bayview. Must have ridden under at least half a dozen smaller trees that started to fall but got caught up in the branches of their neighbors before they hit the ground.

Rain, please. Cindy is so whooped out it is unbelievable.

mtbr member
    Fun 10 local evening rip!

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-d08a2baf-428a-4ccf-922a-5b41b07ac568.jpeg

Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-5d136672-eb22-4b5a-9477-20d5e71398b7.jpg

New gap is butter at trail speed.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Beautiful on the coast this week!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Beautiful on the coast this week!

Great shots!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    You know, I drink ... and build gap jumps

Lazarus Taxon TTF #3. Easy trail speed baby gap to get you warmed up. This is the third feature but it comes up quick once you drop in. The previous two are a small drop and a small hip.

Between baby gap and the feature below are two steep turn, a launch/drop into a steep chute, a decent hip into the set up for ... #6, the step down. It is a one session blind dig today I cut the logs and staged them two two days ago. I dug it and just thought, "I have faith!" When you approach it, it looks pretty sketch: 7' gap, with 2' drop from the take off the crash pad on the landing. The first two non-me reads, "Nope".

I finished digging it, loaded up, dropped my phone and bam!

Lazarus Taxon TTF #6

Here is that trail speed stats to butter it:
    Weekly ride reports 10/24-10/30 DST ending next Saturday, charge those lights!-lz-ttf6.jpg

Many features yet to be built
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    EDIT: Nevermind, found what I was looking for!
    Last edited by roughster; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:23 AM.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2 View Post
    Post-ride at Demo today

love to have a couple beers and snacks in the lot. I have stopped at Summit store and got sandwiches before a ride and then chill in lot after.