Moderator Moderator

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018

Well, it seems that Spring, I mean Summer, has sprung. The weather is truly crazy as of late. Which I'm not complaining about, necessarily. This weekend both the temperatures and pollen count are way above historic averages.

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-screen-shot-2018-02-08-9.56.22-pm.jpg

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-screen-shot-2018-02-08-9.57.21-pm.jpg

Interestingly, I saw my first snake on the trail this week. A 6ft Gopher snake (Thanks JCWages). I usually don't start seeing snakes until about mid-March. Also, flowers and butterflies are showing up much earlier than usual. It's going to be an interesting Spring.

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-img_7340.jpg
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 02-09-2018 at 06:11 PM.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Winter is coming! It might drop below 70 degrees!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I rode the Saratoga Gap TNGR route late afternoon yesterday.It felt like a July evening out there. Wonderful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-img_2241.jpg  

Captain One Lung Administrator
    That's a gopher snake.

I spent the day resetting posts for trail signs on my preserve. It got hot quick once I started digging. Ellie wasn't much help.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be_DcKUFqgI/

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-screenshot_20180209-164003.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    That's a gopher snake.

I spent the day resetting posts for trail signs on my preserve. It got hot quick once I started digging. Ellie wasn't much help.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be_DcKUFqgI/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180209-164003.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	1182257
    I thought it was a Gopher but the colors /markings don't look quite right. I thought it could be a narrow headed Garter, but those are only found down south, but that's what it looks like. Global warming? Anyways, updated!

fading away
    Saturday morning Demo, right?
    in this dying light

mtbr member

Yesterday in the Eastbay

"This Moment" by Tame Impala, and bouncing off of the railroad tie staircase on Chapparal Trail, Joaquin Miller Park, Oakland, California, Untied States of America.

Last edited by parkmeister; 02-10-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Instagram: _parkmeister

mtbr member
    Hit Demo yesterday with gryphonics for a fun ride. There is still some moisture on some of the lower trails but ridge and the top sections are dry.
    Everything was in good shape. Beautiful day to ride!
    There weren't a lot of riders out but definitely some fast dudes!

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-2018-02-09-12.12.08.jpg

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-2018-02-10-10.20.12.jpg

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-2018-02-09-19.46.48.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    I'm taking 5 people out today who basically don't know which side the rear brake is on! Will probably hit my favorite "pump" track tonight when no one is there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 02-10-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    There weren't a lot of riders out but definitely some fast dudes!
    I've had those days where a guy comes by unbelievably fast, with full SC/O'Neil kit on....wait did that jersey say Minnaar on it, he was so fast I couldn't quite read it??

mtbr member
    Quick Flow lap at demo for the first time in over a year. My 2018 Codes that came with my brand new bike already suck. I don’t even understand how they can fade so bad on a trail that hardly requires any braking.

fc
    this bike thing is creeping on my rc crawl time.

there's baseball now too. Hmmmmphh....
    IPA will save America

Resident Curmudgeon
    Did a nice loop in livermore. i rode sycamore grove and all its loops then took the connector trail over to Del Valle and hit the trails in the area of the dam ( both Lake side and dam face side). It made for a nice 18 mile loop with about 3000 feet of climbing. It was a 50/50 mix of singletrack and fire roads. I could have done many more miles in Del Valle but I had stuff to do back at the house.
    The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-27657901_2008563802493953_2055488053304031438_n.jpg
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

fading away
    I got a late start today, so didn’t seem like a grand idea to hop onto the 17 parking lot at noon to get to Demo…… decided to cruise around the local hills instead, it was a beautiful day!!!
    in this dying light

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did the 'normal' 15 mile loop at Crockett Hills yesterday afternoon. Didn't see anyone on the trails until I was finishing up the ride, not sure why on a 75 degree mid-Friday afternoon. Trails are in great shape right now. A couple of squishy spots near the beginning of Tree Frog but that's about it. For the east bay this is still about as good as it gets imo.

the half breed devil
    the headlands is pretty much marbles now, with a very few shaded, north facing locations retaining some semblance of tacky traction but those sections will soon be hardpacked if there's no rain in the near future.

today's ride i think is the longest since i got back on the bike. before i set out on my ride, i trotted off to the medical supply store at 7th and geary to get me one of these things. it's supposed to help increase my ROM. last PT appointment measured forward upward ROM at a max of 117 degrees:

Name:  0c298247301eabc299bdc9ffc6068281.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  21.2 KB

my shoulder is getting better at taking bigger and closely spaced hits but the road is still long. it's still about carefully not exceeding my perceived limits and specifically avoiding any severe switchbacks. it's all about fast fire-roading nowadays:

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-screen-shot-2018-02-10-8.01.25-pm.jpg

the view from high above the city in the headlands is always magnificent:

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-img_2786.jpg

tomorrow will likely be an easy cruise though GGP with my friend josh, who has just taken delivery of a new marin mt vision. it'll be nice to have a new riding partner whose fitness and skill set are closer to mine.

fading away
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    the view from high above the city in the headlands is always magnificent:

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	1182417
    I recognize that rock and scenery! It must have been beautiful out there today!
    in this dying light

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I recognize that rock and scenery! It must have been beautiful out there today!
    that rock holds bikes in place perfectly, even in the wind...

Had plans to ride Auburn with Jeni and get some photos charging down Rocky but before we had gone half a mile I noticed her rear wheel wobbling badly. That makes 6 broken spokes now for this wheel. Victory Velo is going to strip it down and rebuild it for her. Waiting to hear back if it was due to corrosion on the nipples.

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-111201875525.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018

Had plans to ride Auburn with Jeni and get some photos charging down Rocky but before we had gone half a mile I noticed her rear wheel wobbling badly. That makes 6 broken spokes now for this wheel. Victory Velo is going to strip it down and rebuild it for her. Waiting to hear back if it was due to corrosion on the nipples.

Name:	111201875525.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	1182486
    Can’t tell from the photo, but it could also be spokes were too short. The general rule is if more than three spokes have broken, it is time to rebuild and figure out why so your shop is doing the right thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

fading away
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    that rock holds bikes in place perfectly, even in the wind...
    Nature’s bike stand! Great stuff!
    in this dying light

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Can’t tell from the photo, but it could also be spokes were too short. The general rule is if more than three spokes have broken, it is time to rebuild and figure out why so your shop is doing the right thing.

Thanks! Initial inspection makes us/theshop think length is ok but they will double check when they take it all apart.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ride of the fireroads in Briones. Unfortunately, I can still only hold the bars with two fingers on my left hand (plus thumb) since I still have no range of motion following breaking my pinky and having three pins in it. Hoping more physical therapy will fix, or they have to go back in and cut the scar tissue off the tendons. I would have never thought I could have done so much damage to one little finger.

The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-iphone-2018.02.10-15.05.26.433.jpgThe Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-iphone-2018.02.10-15.13.54.802.jpgThe Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-iphone-2018.01.06-12.07.58.415.jpg

Moderator Moderator

Could also be that the dish was not right. With stresses of modern mountain biking, the wheel dish has to be dead nuts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Could also be that the dish was not right. With stresses of modern mountain biking, the wheel dish has to be dead nuts.
    By its nature, dish cannot be more than a couple of mm out, otherwise stay rub occurs. At a couple of mm, you are talking about very slight changes in tension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Name:	111201875525.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	1182486
    I had a friend with the spokes breaking at the nipple in the exact same way. He figured it was because of too short spokes - the nipple depends on having a spoke in it for its structural integrity, and when the spoke is too short the nipple could fail at the flange and get pulled out of the wheel.

That was our idea anyways, getting the proper length spokes and the correct nipple material seemed to solve the trick for him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Rode Skeggs yesterday - starting to feel a bit dry, but the trails were sure running fast.

Also saw 3 trucks from the MidPen Fun Police conferring at the top of Gordon Mill. Watch out on the fireroads!

fading away
    Quickie with Silver this morning:

Followed by a “cooldown” run — first run in over three years:
    in this dying light

mtbr member
    This weekend was great. Second weekend in a row of:

1. Riding with my friends
    2. Getting my daughter out in the dirt

We (my friends and I) rode up in Auburn on Saturday. I'm slow as shit still, but was faster (according to Strava) than I had been last week. So progress!

Then today I took my daughter for a mountain bike ride along the El Dorado Trail. We started from the new Sam's Town Cyclery location in Shingle Springs. Pretty cool trail for beginners. Singletrack, some rock, some roots, etc. It's perfect for my daughter and there's enough to it that I'm not bored riding it. In fact I'm going to try and find time this week to get out and pound it on my singlespeed. If I can hit this a couple times per week I'll be kicking ass on my rides with friends in no time.

Feels good to be getting out again.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Rode jmp today. Trails drying but still fun
    Broke my first spoke ever, smashing down Chap.. plus always good to finally meet other Tribe members that you only know on social media.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by phogan22 View Post
    I had a friend with the spokes breaking at the nipple in the exact same way. He figured it was because of too short spokes - the nipple depends on having a spoke in it for its structural integrity, and when the spoke is too short the nipple could fail at the flange and get pulled out of the wheel.

That was our idea anyways, getting the proper length spokes and the correct nipple material seemed to solve the trick for him.
    The LBS called back and said the spokes on the drive side? Are 2mm too short. I didn't take the call so this is 2nd hand from Jeni. Intense also reached out to her and they are sending a call tag so all is well. Until then she's setting PRs on an Evil The Following. lol

mtbr member
    Did a quick loop in Auburn on Saturday. Almost ran over a small group of hikers in the middle of the Culvert tunnel as they did give me any room to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc

She is too gnarly!!!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    Ride of the fireroads in Briones. Unfortunately, I can still only hold the bars with two fingers on my left hand (plus thumb) since I still have no range of motion following breaking my pinky and having three pins in it. Hoping more physical therapy will fix, or they have to go back in and cut the scar tissue off the tendons. I would have never thought I could have done so much damage to one little finger.

Name:	iPhone-2018.02.10-15.05.26.433.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	1182507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iPhone-2018.02.10-15.13.54.802.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	1182505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iPhone-2018.01.06-12.07.58.415.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	1182506
    What the hell happened!!!!!!

Can you give us the backstory again?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrome3sa View Post
    Did a quick loop in Auburn on Saturday. Almost ran over a small group of hikers in the middle of the Culvert tunnel as they did give me any room to pass.

We rode Saturday up in Auburn. I only did the divide loop but my friends started at the confluence and rode down Culvert->Confluence. They said there were so many hikers it was nearly unridable.

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    She is too gnarly!!!!
    She eats rear tires for breakfast. Already sliced the brand new DHRII EXO I put on there. She's going back to Tough casing WTB or DD Maxxis now. Tired of changing tires out. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    We rode Saturday up in Auburn. I only did the divide loop but my friends started at the confluence and rode down Culvert->Confluence. They said there were so many hikers it was nearly unridable.
    I'm talking to the County about the wording they use to describe those 2 trails on their website. Trying to reword it delicately so as to avoid conflicts but I want to make Culvert sound less appealing to hikers and confluence less appealing to MTB riders during peak hours. IMO you should not have Confluence on your list for mashing during peak hiking hours. You're just making us look bad which leads to trail closure.

]
    Or how important 1 little finger is! Looks to be healing well although still ugly. Scar tissue and adhesions suck so good plan to fix those as much as you can. I have them all over inside my abdominal cavity but I have no desire to let surgeons back in there. LOL. Here's to a full recovery mate!

mtbr member
    I'm talking to the County about the wording they use to describe those 2 trails on their website. Trying to reword it delicately so as to avoid conflicts but I want to make Culvert sound less appealing to hikers and confluence less appealing to MTB riders during peak hours. IMO you should not have Confluence on your list for mashing during peak hiking hours. You're just making us look bad which leads to trail closure.
    I unfortunately had a late start Sat morning and ended up taking my time going down Confluence due to foot traffic. On any trail, I let anyone heading uphill pass. I think the riders that keep blasting downhill with no trail etiquette on multi-use trails give our community a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by jrome3sa View Post
    I unfortunately had a late start Sat morning and ended up taking my time going down Confluence due to foot traffic. On any trail, I let anyone heading uphill pass. I think the riders that keep blasting downhill with no trail etiquette on multi-use trails give our community a bad rap.

I agree and thanks for taking it easy. It's fine to ride down Confluence (or up) during peak times. I just don't think we should be in DH Strava mode during those times or just being jerks and assuming right of way in all circumstances. "Be nice, Say Hi" goes a long ways on multi-use trails. .

mtbr member
    How would you get back to the car at the confluence if you don't ride the confluence trail? Just take the road? I think we should make confluence less appealing to hikers. That trail is rocky and full of jumps for bikes. There's nowhere for hikers to safely go from the top of the trail (either up culvert or stonewall to the other trail that goes from connector down). Hikers already have quarry on the other side of the water, and Clementine on the other side of the road.

I'm hoping when it gets nice and hot out the hiker problem on that trail solves itself.

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    How would you get back to the car at the confluence if you don't ride the confluence trail? Just take the road? I think we should make confluence less appealing to hikers. That trail is rocky and full of jumps for bikes. There's nowhere for hikers to safely go from the top of the trail (either up culvert or stonewall to the other trail that goes from connector down). Hikers already have quarry on the other side of the water, and Clementine on the other side of the road.

I'm hoping when it gets nice and hot out the hiker problem on that trail solves itself.
    I don't mean you shouldn't ride Confluence. I am saying don't do it at mach speed during those times. Treat it more like a slower paced fun transfer section. Hikers have an excellent view of the middle fork on that trail and it is relatively flat and since they only have 2 other trails (Clementine Climb/Stagecoach climb) to take from the bridge parking I don't think they should be further limited just because bikes want to go too fast on a multiuse trail that starts at a huge parking/gathering area.

The problem is, you're not going to get parks to change the trail use designation because we want to go fast. They may be swayed to change it due to safety concerns and public complaint and I guarantee it won't be in our favor.

mtbr member
    The problem is, you're not going to get parks to change the trail use designation because we want to go fast. They may be swayed to change it due to safety concerns and public complaint and I guarantee it won't be in our favor.
    The last two weeks have been crazy up in Auburn too. I hope it's just because the weather is so nice. I don't think I have ever seen so many cars parked down at confluence, and the divide loop seemed to have a lot more hikers than I usually see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I agree and thanks for taking it easy. It's fine to ride down Confluence (or up) during peak times. I just don't think we should be in DH Strava mode during those times or just being jerks and assuming right of way in all circumstances. "Be nice, Say Hi" goes a long ways on multi-use trails. .
    Funny... just had this conversation with the Forest Service Trail Manager up on the Hoot Trail. We all need to go out of our way to make sure that all trail users can get a positive experience out of our multi use trails. One inconsiderate mountain biker can turn multi use in to a bike prohibited trail.

A pause, or even slowing a bit, saying "hi, nice day" isn't that painful... it only takes a couple of pedal strokes to get back up to speed, and may help us get even more good trails in the future.

mtbr member
    Took a long weekend trip to Goosebery Mesa!The Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-img_2762.jpgThe Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-img_2753.jpgThe Weekend Ride Report: Feb 9 - Feb 11, 2018-img_2774.jpg