Wed. Chabot Hillclimb TT-Massive Prize for Top Climber- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Wed. Chabot Hillclimb TT-Massive Prize for Top Climber

Well, the anticipation grows as the 2nd Bi-Monthly Chabot-Brandon Hillclimb nears...

Wednesday at 6:00 PM in the back of the golf course parking lot brings yet another exciting challenge to those that come.
    Plus this time, due to the extraordinary generosity of a corporation, it appears we are able to offer the "Top Climber" a massive prize...

Yes, the prize this time is a One Pound Double-Six Dollar Burger from the good folks at Carl's Jr. Don't confuse this culinary delight with the often seen Six Dollar Burger.....This is the "Double" made with a full 1 pound of Angus beef. Could actually feed a family of 4, but will be given to the one impressive climber for an outstanding effort.
    Please note, you won't actually be given the Double-Six Dollar Burger at the top of the climb, but rather due to state laws, will be given a certificate that entitles you to that burger for FREE at a later time.
    To get a look at the massive prize.....go to the following link..

http://www.carlsjr.com/home/

Well, there it is...... Quite impressive if I do say so myself. That same burger will appear on your certificate, should you win, and will be redeemable at your nearby Carl's Jr. between now and December 31st, 2004.

I know you're all salivating already, but you're probably asking "How do I win?"
    Well, this part may be a bit complicated...
    Obviously if we just awarded the prize to the fastest participant, then only the youngest and most highly trained person could qualify...
    With that in mind and to encourage more participation from others eager for the burger, we have to use a modified Crezchoffer-Bernoulli system to arrive at the most deserving climber.

The Crezchoffer-Bernoulli WAVA Age-Grading system allows us to adjust the participant's times according to their various ages. Sort of a handicapping system like that used in golf. Similar to the age-grading systems in use for other "pure" bicycle climbs such as the following

http://www.tinmtn.org/hillclimb/results/99results.html$99-age1.txt.htm

But even with Age-Grading some participants with larger BMI ratings or less experience may feel they don't stand a chance getting the delicious Double Six Dollar Burger.
    That is true....So we are going to employ a minimum time for each climber depending on his age. If one or more climbers go under their minimum time then the one who goes the most seconds under their assigned time will be declared the winner of the burger.
    However if no one goes under their time, and that is very possible, then all riders will be rated on the improvement in their time from the August 4th Chabot-Brandon Climb... Thus someone who may have done 14:00 minutes last time and improved to 13:45 could win the prize.
    Now if no one surpasses their assigned Age-Graded time and no one lowers their previous event time, then the burger will be awarded, either by drawing straws, or with a double elimination tournament of "paper, rock, sissors". So every participant is a potential winner.
    Oh yes, in the event that the winner is a vegetarian and can't eat the Double Six Dollar Burger with a full POUND of beef, then we have available a substitute prize of a certificate for a "FREE" full quart of Best Foods Real Mayonaise.
    (This certificate has no expiration date.) Not as exciting as a Double Six Dollar Burger, but hey, I've only got so many coupons.

Is that all clear to everyone? I thought so.....

So all thats left to understand is what is your assigned time, noting that perhaps no one will attain these times....THUS the other prize awarding option to the person with the greatest time reduction!

The following times were arrived at taking my time from last week and age-grading it for the various ages using a special internet WAVA calculator. Adjustments may be made if anyone feels their time is completely unfair or unattainable. Let me know, and I'll re-analyze my calculations. I think that a well trained person who has been riding for a few years can attain these times with reasonable effort.
    This is the time from the bottom parking lot entry polls to the the bench at the top, (not the first bench midway) and (not the last tree on the left which is the normal timing point for many, including myself, on other occasions)

Age - Time

54 - 10:10
    53 - 10:05
    52 - 10:00
    51 - 9:55
    50 - 9:50
    49 - 9:45
    48 - 9:40
    47 - 9:36
    46 - 9:32
    45 - 9:28
    44 - 9:24
    43 - 9:20
    42 - 9:16
    41 - 9:12
    40 - 9:08
    39 - 9:04
    38 - 9:00
    37 - 8:56
    36 - 8:53
    35 - 8:49
    34 - 8:45
    33 - 8:42
    32 - 8:39
    31 - 8:35
    30 - 8:32

OK.....Thats it. As you can see the whole prize system is so simple and uncomplicated huh? All for a burger you say.......Yes, but not just any burger, a Double Six Dollar Burger....One Full POUND of Angus beef (or the jar of mayonaise)

So lets get out there and let everyone knows about the massive prize giveaway.
    We need many more folks out there testing their conditioning....
    Wake the kids, tell the neighbors, alert the local teams and shops, the Chabot-Brandon Hillclimb is on!

(AS always, this is a purely self timed recreational group ride up this short hill......No one should go beyond their own physical limits and anyone who is over 20 should seek advice from their personal physician regarding their physical condition prior to making such a climb on their bike. Bike climbing, especially in hot weather, can be strenuous and is not advised for those in questionable health and conditioning. This is not the place to test the limits of your body if you have not been riding a bike for many years.
    The "prize" noted above is for a Carl's Jr. burger, but Carl's Jr is not associated with this self timed recreational group ride. I just happened to get the coupon in a promotion. OK?
    Don't over do in your climbing unless you are completely familiar with your own personal physical limitations. This is a informal group climb....and there will be no trained medical personel present. Ride at your own risk. Wear a helmet and gloves. If you feel like you are over doing it, ease up and take your time. Its all just for fun.
    Anything I"ve left out? )
    Last edited by Chester; 08-16-2004 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    This is an obvious ploy to fatten up the fastest person in order to make yourself look better the next time. (Unless of course, you are the fastest climber.) Sneaky, sneaky...

Is there a double-prize opportunity? I mean, what if I like my Double Six Dollar Burgers with a POUND of Angus beef, with a FULL QUART of Best Foods Real Mayonaise???

mtbr member
    8:39!?? yikes! Looks like I have some work to do.

I timed myself a couple Tuesdays ago and got just under 10. I need almost a 1:20 improvement! Heh. Looks like I won't have to worry about that Double Six Dollar Burger with a POUND of Angus beef or a FULL QUART of Best Foods Real Mayonaise!

Paper or plastic?
    Well, I'm only 5mns off the assigned pace . Guess I'll have to fork up the money myself for a tasty burger...

Any chance we can invite the riding group we had last time? Otherwise I feel I'll have a hard time improving.

Looking forward to climbing.

Jan 2004

OK.......slight age adjustment given

Quote Originally Posted by D.Ambrose
    8:39!?? yikes! Looks like I have some work to do.

I timed myself a couple Tuesdays ago and got just under 10. I need almost a 1:20 improvement! Heh. Looks like I won't have to worry about that Double Six Dollar Burger with a POUND of Angus beef or a FULL QUART of Best Foods Real Mayonaise!

Hmm, 8:39 does sound low even to me, but thats what the WAVA age graded calculator says or round abouts there.... Then again to require a 30 year old to go even 7 seconds faster than that may not be fair.....since Lance was obviously the best at age 32...

OK......Though it goes against the calculator, perhaps we can make 8:45 the time for everyone under the age of 35. Age 35 stays at 8:49 and everyone 34 and below "only" needs to go under 8:45.... So 20 to 34 will now be 8:45

Thats 6 full seconds slower for you. Piece of cake now, huh?
    Don't worry, there's always the drawing of straws, or the "paper, sissors, rock" tournament which may very well decide the burger winner.

Get some of those Team Wrong Way riders out there for that burger ( or mayo)

mtbr member
    Oh I wasn't complaining! I just have a goal to work towards... whether or not I ever achieve it.

I passed your post on to some friends.

Jan 2004

Don't worry, that burger may still be yours

Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Well, I'm only 5mns off the assigned pace . Guess I'll have to fork up the money myself for a tasty burger...

Any chance we can invite the riding group we had last time? Otherwise I feel I'll have a hard time improving.

Looking forward to climbing.
    Don't dispair, I think there's a better than 50/50 chance no one will go under their assigned age time, and even if you don't surpass your previous effort for the time reduction method of winning, you have still have the "paper, sissors, rock" tournament.

Like you, without the inspiration of those 10 members of the Cherry City Cyclists up ahead, I'm wondering if that last half of the course is going to be a real mental slog....all pain and no one to pass..
    I have my doubts about being able to go under my last effort, and even if I do, I'm not eligible for the burger because......well, er, to be honest, if I had really wanted to get the burger, I would have already used the coupon, and the only prize available would have been the full quart of mayonaise ( I don't eat mayonaise either)

Next time we can tweek the calculations to "even up" the playing field.......
    We can include new parameters.....such as BMI, years of riding, weight of bike, rolling resistance ratings of your tires, and your FICO score....
    By choosing and picking just the right items, we can make it so everyone has a possibility of winning the burger, even without the "paper, sissors, rock" game.
    It will be just like the IRS Tax code ........Everyone gets deductions and credits.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the offer ...

Very inspiring! I'll try not to think of the burger during my run.

In fact, I am offering a can of SPAM to anyone who beats 8:00.

mtbr member
    Woowoo! I hope to see you all this afternoon. Hopefully my wife and I will be done in time to make the ride.

I sent the post to a few friends. At least one said he would try to make it. If he does, be prepared to hand over that burger coupon. (He's reeaally fast. Regularly places in the top finishers in the expert class at races. Whereas I usually finish mid-pack in the expert class.)

Jan 2004

Pray for onshore marine breezes by 6:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by D.Ambrose
    Woowoo! I hope to see you all this afternoon. Hopefully my wife and I will be done in time to make the ride.

I sent the post to a few friends. At least one said he would try to make it. If he does, be prepared to hand over that burger coupon. (He's reeaally fast. Regularly places in the top finishers in the expert class at races. Whereas I usually finish mid-pack in the expert class.)
    Hope to see you and everyone else that can make it. I'll ride over from Oakland as usual for my warm up.......and today, it may well be a very warm "warm up"......
    No pre-ride excuses, but if its near or over 80 I may have to be "age" prudent and ease up a bit......I'll check my internal helmet temp at the midway point of the climb.

Anyway, if you or your friend, go under your assigned times, in the expected heat, then you deserve the burger. I'll print out the times and bring them along...(even though that, along with the burger coupon, will add to my weight)
    Naturally, everyone will be bringing along their birth certificates and 2 photo ID's for prize eligibility verification

Anyone else out there who wants to come along is welcome. All skill and experience levels.....6:00 PM at the base of the Brandon Trail in the golf course parking lot...
    Especially 45+ and 50-55 Sport riders ( if any exist), meaning someone who I could keep up with for at least a little of the way up. Of course, as was the case last time, we can do some version of the staggered start so everyone will finish about the same time at the top...

Think hydration.......

Paper or plastic?
    Well, it was hot!!! So hot that Chester's tire did not make it to the climb. I wonder if it was too hot for David too... Anyhow, we had a good ride around the lake afterwards.

The burger coupon is still in play for next month though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

No TT but still a fun ride

Zorg and I raced up Brandon without timing it ... traded the lead a few times but Zorg ended up ahead by maybe 12 seconds -- same as last time. Only this time was more painful for both of us!

Where is David? We're beginning to wonder whether he can really make it to the top!

Chester, how can you resist Stan's notubes ... less weight, more traction, and no more flats?

The ride around the lake was great. Even though I never once saw the trail ... it was either in a dust cloud, lost in the blinding sun, or too dark (should have taken off my sunglasses after 8pm).

Jan 2004

A great day for walking

[QUOTE=Chester]Hope to see you and everyone else that can make it. I'll ride over from Oakland as usual for my warm up.......
    QUOTE]

Well, the afternoon began with high hopes.....
    4:45 PM ate my PowerBar and had a caffeinated beverage.. (for speed)
    Pumped up my brand new "low rolling resistance" tire...(for speed)
    Drank more liquids and saw some signs that the heat was moderating..

Off I go on my ride from Oakland....first to the park then down to the Stone Bridge.....and begin climbing up Brandon.....All is going well until about a mile past the bridge I suddenly notice that my "low rolling resistance" tire is beginning to give me more resistance.....lots more resistance....In fact I'm suddenly rolling on my rim.....Doh....I've just flatted for the first time in about half a year....
    No problem....I've got my patch kit......Now where did I put that pump?
    Oh yes....Now I remember, this is a "time trial" and you've got to dump that extra weight, like the pump I took off today...(for speed)
    Oh well, its only 2.5 miles up to the bench and after all these cycling shoes are tailor made just for jogging and walking (while pushing a bike).
    Gotta make it, after all, whats everyone gonna say if they make that climb and there's no Chester with a burger coupon waiting....
    So off I hike, and a mere 40 minutes later, I'm at the bench. Too late to walk down the hill, so I send word with another rider going that way.
    Then I find out this tube is shot and even a pump wouldn't have enabled me to patch it. The day is going less than swell, but then a Lake Chabot regular offers a tube.... Whew!...... It was gonna be a long way back to Oakland on foot.

While waiting for the Time Trial'ers to arrive at the bench, I show the Cherry City Cyclists club, who are regrouping at the bench, our massive Double Six Dollar Burger prize coupon. Seeing the huge amount of beef involved (1 full pound) one of the club members questions what will happen if a vegetarian wins.... In a snap, I turn the baggie around and show her the Best Foods Mayonaise coupon. I think everyone was impressed with our prize assortment and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them show up for the Time Trial next time.

Anyway, soon I see Big Trees, Zorg and another rider rolling to the top, looking a little like someone just drained their bodies of oxygen and perhaps blood. Very interesting to see someone finish up there after a real effort. Its quite unlike the normal folks you see climbing up to the top. I guess thats why I always get odd stares when I reach the top after a tough climb.
    A good effort from you guys. And after a rest, a nice ride along Redtail, cough, cough,,,,,to Bort and back to Skyline. Plenty of dust for everyone.

So, if all goes well, I guess we'll try it again, the first Wednesday in September. I think its September 1st.
    I'm thinking D.Ambrose is gonna make it next time...
    Perhaps this time he saw the USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) van in the golf parking lot and was scared off.
    Or as some speculated, he was at his sports psychologist's office, having suddenly come down with a unexplained fear of large burgers,....afraid he might win one.
    I think they call that "fear of excess"

Lets see if we can get 6+ riders next time

mtbr member
    lol.. you guys...

Once again it sounds like a good time was had by all. Well, sorta. Sorry to hear about your adventures in flatland, Chester.

I actually did go for a ride but the timing didn't quite work out. Wife and I had a gathering with family members to go over details on the purchase of a new home (keeping the home in the family). I rode, but not at the same time as you all went out. And just a short little spin at moderate effort.

One of these days I'll make it out there. Although not next time... Next HCTT day will be Sept 1st, right? We'll be on our way to Canada for the 24 Hour WSC at Whistler.

Paper or plastic?
    Brought the thread back up.

I can't make it tomorrow, and I haven't seen Chester posting anything about tomorrow TT in Chabot. Is it still on, or shall we postpone it until next week?

Jan 2004

Just saw your post

Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Brought the thread back up.

I can't make it tomorrow, and I haven't seen Chester posting anything about tomorrow TT in Chabot. Is it still on, or shall we postpone it until next week?
    I must have been typing just as you were posting....Posted 5 minutes later

I agree, as you'll see in the new thread.......postpone until the 15th unless there is considerable interest in Wednesday the 8th...
    However there may still be some guys off from the holiday of Monday....
    D. Ambrose said he was going away racing somewhere over the holiday...

Whatever works....

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    I must have been typing just as you were posting....Posted 5 minutes later

I agree, as you'll see in the new thread.......postpone until the 15th unless there is considerable interest in Wednesday the 8th...
    However there may still be some guys off from the holiday of Monday....
    D. Ambrose said he was going away racing somewhere over the holiday...

Whatever works....
    Great minds think alike... Okay, the 15th works for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0