sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Wear your helmet!

I had the perfect day planned.

Pick up my freshly-tuned bike from the Trail House after a long meeting and go enjoy Annadel hero dirt.

Tune-up was spot on.

Conditions were perfect.

I was coming down Rough Go and had just finished the last technical bit and was about 1/2 a mile from the canal.

Decide to have some fun and let it rip.

Don't know exactly WTF happened but the next thing I know I'm OTB and eating it head first HARD. Ragdoll to a stop.

Do the usual post-crash system check. Road rash etc. but nothing major. Retrieve the Ripmo and it appears fine.

Try to mount up for the ride out. Head hurts. Shoulder REALLY hurts.

When I get back to the Trail House I can't lift my bike and I can see a big hump on my shoulder. Off to the ER. X-rays etc and I have a separated shoulder.

Later I look at my helmet. Scrapes. Dents. Cracked foam. So glad this wasn't my head!!!

Grounded for a bit but it would have been a lot worse if it wasn't for the lid. Thanks Bell Super for saving my noggin.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 10-04-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Spelling correction in title

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post

Do the usual post-crash system check. Road rash etc. but nothing major. Retrieve the Ripmo and it appears fine.
    Wow, you must have a really high tolerance for pain if you consider a separated shoulder “nothing major”.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Wowowow. Full on yard sale ragdoll to a stop!!

I separated my shoulder last year. I wore a sling for a bit and it sucks to lift stuff over your head.

Had knee pads and all that?

Take it very easy now. Eat and rest perfectly.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    WOW!! high five. (when you heal up - and i hope it is fast healing) i'm 100% from my "thing". contact Bell. i bet they have a replacement assist program. and yes..i am 100% helmet now. even if i am going to the mailbox. hey, no CT scan at the ER?
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    WOW!! high five. (when you heal up - and i hope it is fast healing) i'm 100% from my "thing". contact Bell. i bet they have a replacement assist program. and yes..i am 100% helmet now. even if i am going to the mailbox. hey, no CT scan at the ER?
    Yep. Not sure what type of discount they will offer, but couldn’t hurt to ask.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    welcome to the club, I'm on week 6 of my shoulder rehab, hope to be back on the bike in 4more

mtbr member
    Damn that sounds rough dude, glad your okay! I saw someone the other day riding with a helmet. Just seemed so strange and foreign of a concept. Why not protect your noggin considering helmets are dirt cheap?!?!?

On the pain side, I am dealing with a separated shoulder myself. Not sure what week I am on but it feels like it has been bothering me forever. After having three knee surgeries for soft tissue, I am not even going to consider the surgery possibility until my arm actually falls off.

Heal up fast!

Snow Dog
    glad to hear you are ok in general. I separated my shoulder getting checked in hockey 4 years ago, and am still dealing with range of motion issues. It also aches when it is humid outside etc...

I can't believe people ride without helmets, but I know they do. I only see helmet less on the paved trails around here. I have never seen people without helmets on the MTB trails.

Where I am most shocked though, is at the skatepark when I ride BMX...usually me and my step-son are some of the only ones with helmets on there...amongst all of that cement. Have been there many timers where you see a bail, and hear/feel that hollow "thud" of head on pavement...
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Trail Ninja
    You know the injury is serious when it doesn't hurt, but looks bad, since the body felt the need to release its own pain killers.

Any more info on the cause of the crash? I kind of got the idea that you had a bit of excess energy that you looked forward to spending. Wondering why a modern high dollar bike didn't "save" you.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Wow, you must have a really high tolerance for pain if you consider a separated shoulder “nothing major”.
    I think at that point I had enough adrenaline in the system that it didn't hurt that bad.

When I tried to lift my bike I immediately knew something wasn't right.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Rough Go is named for a reason, right? I've often said I'd rather ascend it than descend it. Glad you're generally okay. Get that crash replacement, ASAP. The one you had has done its' job and is toast!
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

fc
    Pretty surprised you didn't get a concussion.

Bell Super, no MIPS huh?

So there's slight shoulder separation and severe. Can we see your xray? My shoulder separation was slight, ony about 2 mm lifted up. Tough thing is I had to decide the next day if I was going to take a trip to Switzerland. I hit my chin too but no concussion.

I took the trip and it was an event of a lifetime. I rode everyday and it wasn't easy sometimes. Putting my luggage in the overhead compartments was impossible.
    IPA will save America

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I separated my shoulder last year. I wore a sling for a bit and it sucks to lift stuff over your head.

Had knee pads and all that?
    Wearing a sling now and some directions of motion are no problem. Others are a giant HELL NO

No other pads. I will definitely wear them next time. Both knees are fd as well. I actually have road rash on ever side including the forbidden zone. Been a long time since I ate it this bad.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    hey, no CT scan at the ER?
    Yes. They did a full exam and neck and head CT

fc
    Wearing a sling now and some directions of motion are no problem. Others are a giant HELL NO

No other pads. I will definitely wear them next time. Both knees are fd as well. I actually have road rash on ever side including the forbidden zone. Been a long time since I ate it this bad.

The problem was that was not hero dirt since it's the first rain and prolly wet loose and slickety in spots.. That's called herozero dirt. That's where you go from hero to zero in a blink of an eye.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ++++ vibes, hope you heal up quick
    were the rocks wet? or just one of those unexplained crashes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    ironically, the cyclist that stopped to help me..DIDNT wear a helmet.

he promised me he would from then on forward. he was a nice man.

and "RAGDOLL to a STOP" is the best description ever.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I agree with FC on the slippery rocks. Traction where I'm used to seeing it was non-existent on Monday when I got caught in the rain.

Moderator Moderator
    Similar injury, a buddy of mine on Russian Ridge last year. Had he not been wearing his helmet could have been very, very bad. I thought I was going to have to buddy carry him out of the woods, then a ranger came out of nowhere. Very lucky.

Wear your helmet!-img_6176.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    During an endurance race a few years back I was riding along bonking out and suddenly was on my back with a rider passing me. I shook it off and rode the lap out.

Talked to the rider afterwards who said I caught a low hanging branch in the head that did the same rag doll to my back thing and I landed directly under it. Helmet cracked, and so did my frame (right where the top tube hits the seat post). I firmly believe my head would have been split, I got away with a headache. I will never ride without after that

Air Pirate
    Wow, sorry to hear you did a sudden gravity test. Hope you heal well and quickly!

Your helmet was a Bell Super? I had a buddy crash while wearing mine...we had been shuttling and on one run he forgot his helmet in one of the other vehicles...I was driving down so I gave him mine to wear...he at first was going to go bare-headed but after getting harassed by the rest of us he relented and wore my Super. It was a good thing as he crashed 3/4 of the way down the trail. The next rider in the line following him found him unconscious...he woke up quickly but complained of a very huge headache and very sore neck. He made it down hill on his own. Once he got to my truck I looked at the helmet...it was cracked in the front with lots of dirt embedded between the shell and foam. He did not remember the crash but it appeared he did the same rag-doll digger headfirst like you did.

Craziest thing about his injuries was when he hit the skin on his forehead pressed so hard against the little vent holes in the front of the helmet that he had bruising that matched the hole pattern. Angry red raised blood filled bruises......too bad I didn't get a photo of it. His flesh must have pressed forward and into the holes...it was almost like how you can take Play-doh and put it into one of those little press toys that extrudes the material out through a shaped template....

I replaced that helmet with MIPS Super 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wear your helmet!-super-pad.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Pretty surprised you didn't get a concussion.

Bell Super, no MIPS huh?

So there's slight shoulder separation and severe. Can we see your xray? My shoulder separation was slight, ony about 2 mm lifted up. Tough thing is I had to decide the next day if I was going to take a trip to Switzerland. I hit my chin too but no concussion.

I took the trip and it was an event of a lifetime. I rode everyday and it wasn't easy sometimes. Putting my luggage in the overhead compartments was impossible.
    Got the Bell after getting a bad concussion a few years back wearing a old school MTB helmet with less protection. It did twist a bit but my neck and head feel fine.

fc
    Did you guys see my buddy's helmet? He ragdolled on rocks at the Northstar enduro finish line.

He was concussed and black and blue all over.

He was going to do the last two Enduro World Series in Spain and Italy but he took our advice and stayed home.

Marco Osborne helmet destroyed - Mountain Bike Review- Mtbr.com

Wear your helmet!-.jpg

Marco Osborne helmet destroyed - Mountain Bike Review- Mtbr.com

True story, he's ebiking in the Sierras now regularly to heal.
    IPA will save America

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    You I kind of got the idea that you had a bit of excess energy that you looked forward to spending. Wondering why a modern high dollar bike didn't "save" you.
    100% not the bikes fault. This bike is so much better than I am its not even funny. It can't bail me out everytime!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Whoa!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Rocks on Rough Go were dry and traction was crazy good everywhere except for a few small wet spots on Marsh trail up in the trees. No dust. Smelled amazing.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am hoping it doesn't take too long to recover I have a vacation in a month in Bend. I guess if nothing else there's beer!!!

Moderator Moderator
    I am hoping it doesn't take too long to recover I have a vacation in a month in Bend. I guess if nothing else there's beer!!!
    What grade was your separation?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    they didn't talk to you about recovery in the hospital? my full separation estimate is 8-12 weeks, i hope to be on the bike in 10.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    they didn't talk to you about recovery in the hospital? my full separation estimate is 8-12 weeks, i hope to be on the bike in 10.
    They did not in any detail.

I need to follow up ASAP

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    They did not in any detail.

I need to follow up ASAP

did they at least put you in a sling?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    did they at least put you in a sling?
    Yes they did.

Have a consult later today with my GP as well.

mtbr member
    Damn, sounds like you moving at a pretty good clip. I was thinking it was kind of a slower/medium speed endo in chunk. Glad your injuries aren't worse! Hope you get some good riding in with the beer in Bend.

mtbr member
    Having been through the bell crash-replacement process a couple of times at this point I wholeheartedly recommend them and their products. Their products do the needful, and they're super responsive.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Healing thoughts your way. I had my worst crash this June: skull fracture, 3 different cervical vertebral fractures, 4 ribs fractured, 2 fractures on my left scapula, and open elbow wound. 6 days in the hospital; 3 months in a neck/torso brace. Just got back on the gravel bike last saturday. Helmet saved my life or my ability to walk. big bash in the side and entirely broken down the middle. I still don't know how I did not break C-1, since my skull fracture was at the occipital condyle that articulates with C-1. Amazing.

Bought me a 6d helment that is a helmet within a helmet with the MIPS type system sandwiched between the outer and inner helmet. Very comfortable but I'm not on the mountain bike yet.

WEAR YOUR HELMET!!!!!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PL Scott View Post
    Healing thoughts your way. I had my worst crash this June: skull fracture, 3 different cervical vertebral fractures, 4 ribs fractured, 2 fractures on my left scapula, and open elbow wound. 6 days in the hospital; 3 months in a neck/torso brace. Just got back on the gravel bike last saturday. Helmet saved my life or my ability to walk. big bash in the side and entirely broken down the middle. I still don't know how I did not break C-1, since my skull fracture was at the occipital condyle that articulates with C-1. Amazing.

Bought me a 6d helment that is a helmet within a helmet with the MIPS type system sandwiched between the outer and inner helmet. Very comfortable but I'm not on the mountain bike yet.

WEAR YOUR HELMET!!!!!
    Whoa! That sounds gnarly, glad you are recovering and getting back on a bike.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just left the ortho office.

Diagnosed as a Grade 5.

Surgery tomorrow. Doh!

I'm usually hungry.
    Just left the ortho office.

Diagnosed as a Grade 5.

Surgery tomorrow. Doh!

Dang! Heal up quick, man!
    And look me up if you need somebody to take care of that Ripmo for a couple of months.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by the_kman View Post
    Dang! Heal up quick, man!
    And look me up if you need somebody to take care of that Ripmo for a couple of months.
    Thanks for the offer but if I can't look at it and pet it every day I'm going to fall into a deep depression.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Glad you're ok man.

Question though, why'd you pull the laceration image down? I've seen worse in here. Plus it hammers the point home. If it's a forum policy thing then fine, if not, honestly, would you consider posting the laceration as well as suture/staple images up? I was gonna use this thread for something coming up where I am coaching a bunch of know-it-all pig-headed beginners who won't even put their kids in helmets. TIA

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    Glad you're ok man.

Question though, why'd you pull the laceration image down? I've seen worse in here. Plus it hammers the point home. If it's a forum policy thing then fine, if not, honestly, would you consider posting the laceration as well as suture/staple images up? I was gonna use this thread for something coming up where I am coaching a bunch of know-it-all pig-headed beginners who won't even put their kids in helmets. TIA
    I didn't have any images up or take anything down.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Today's activities...

https://youtu.be/W3tzP16HHFo

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Today's activities...

https://youtu.be/W3tzP16HHFo

Looks like baling wire and zip ties. Heal up!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    No bailing wire but definitely some zip ties! According to my ortho the separation was too large for any hope of the ligaments regrowing so the dog bone pulls things back into alignment enough that your ligaments can heal.

I totally trust the doctor that did this he is very well known in this area and did an incredible job on my ankle about 10 years ago.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    No bailing wire but definitely some zip ties! According to my ortho the separation was too large for any hope of the ligaments regrowing so the dog bone pulls things back into alignment enough that your ligaments can heal.

I totally trust the doctor that did this he is very well known in this area and did an incredible job on my ankle about 10 years ago.

I agree the procedure looks solid. Get well quick.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I like to get the finished product is flexible and has no screws or plates that need to be removed at some point later. The surgeon has had excellent results with his system previously. AC separations are a normally a wait-and-see type of injury. But with no chance of my healing naturally there was no point in waiting and they felt like it would have a better chance of healing the sooner it was done

fc
    Good luck. Damn. Close to 100% recovery is key since we're gonna live/ride a long time. And if they don't have to remove hardware, that's always good.
    IPA will save America

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Good luck. Damn. Close to 100% recovery is key since we're gonna live/ride a long time. And if they don't have to remove hardware, that's always good.
    I agree 100%. Roo Harris is my hero! To be like Roo I need to keep everything in good working order during my 50s

mtbr member
    I grew up right off of Stonehedge, I was in Annadel every day, we used to laugh at people in helmets. I didn't ride for about 10 years but when I came back, 99% had helmets.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Over it
    Jun 2010
    If you've ridden UC much then you've seen the older guy with dreads that doesn't wear a helmet. I assume that's because he can't find a helmet that goes over his hair. I don't know what the solution is, but it seems like shear madness to ride like that...
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Years ago (like 1992), I was riding with a friend whom I had never ridden with before and he wanted to drive to the park (Annadel). Somehow I got to the park without a helmet. I decided to ride anyway. No crashes, no dismounts or anything, but I must have been called an "Organ Donor" five times on the trails.

That has always stuck with me.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    If you've ridden UC much then you've seen the older guy with dreads that doesn't wear a helmet. I assume that's because he can't find a helmet that goes over his hair. I don't know what the solution is, but it seems like shear madness to ride like that...
    Put that guy in contact with Tinker Juarez...he knows where one can get a dreadlock-friendly helmet...or hat for that matter...

Wear your helmet!-davidtinkerjuarez.jpg

Wear your helmet!-12728977_1291183147579861_3760937426100967819_n.jpg
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ It is a real puzzler how he gets all that hair under that helmet/hat.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    ^^ It is a real puzzler how he gets all that hair under that helmet/hat.
    They must be custom.

I ask myself the same thing about all of the NFL guys with dreads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Those are epic dreads! Way beyond Tinker level. I think they are ANSI and Snell certified.

One time I pulled over for him when I was coming down EMT and he was coming up the hill. He got upset and said there was plenty of room to pass.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Put that guy in contact with Tinker Juarez...he knows where one can get a dreadlock-friendly helmet...or hat for that matter...
    Tinker back in the BMX day....when he was known as "The Hollifield Flash."

Wear your helmet!-tinker.jpg

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That's a rad retro pic!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Had my two-week follow up. Everything is in place and looking good but not allowed to do anything fun until my next appt. Got upgraded to a much less cumbersome sling.

Say cheese!

mtbr member
    Wear your helmet!-b66be316-143e-4094-861e-a589238896a6.jpgI wear it often.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B66BE316-143E-4094-861E-A589238896A6.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	1222031I wear it often.
    Hahaha

jms
    mtbr member
    Had my two-week follow up. Everything is in place and looking good but not allowed to do anything fun until my next appt. Got upgraded to a much less cumbersome sling.

Say cheese!

Why did the surgeon put a dropper lock out switch in your shoulder? ; )
    My Favorite Peeps:

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hahaha

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Good one jms! But do you even have a dropper on any of your bikes?😎
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Ask him where they put the remote.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Went for my second follow up. My shoulder is feeling really good. Dr. Said no more sling! Also got clearance to start running next week.

If anyone gets a Grade 3 or higher ac separation I can't recommend this procedure enough. Fast recovery. Full recovery. Not a bunch of rigid hardware and your shoulder doesn't look weird forever.