We had big fun at Bigfoot Classic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

We had big fun at Bigfoot Classic

This past weekend's Bigfoot Classic was a great success, despite a last minute day of panic just a week prior to the races. The landowner, Simpson Timber, decided that fire danger was too high and wanted us to move to another location. Yeah, seven days should be plenty of time to scout an XC course, a DH course and a short-track course, brush them out and mark them and somehow let all of the riders know that we've moved the race. Right. In the end they agreed to issue our permit if we provided a firetruck or watertruck.

This edition of the Bigfoot Classic will be remembered as the "year of the Emu." The Sunday before while we were working on the course, a 7-foot tall emu strode up to me and one of our volunteers. We guess he/she's an escapee from a local ranch. Folks were skeptical, "You been indulging in some of Humboldt's finest?", but thankfully, some of the racers saw it too during the cross-country and during the short-track.

Friday's hillclimb was cool. We run it up to the top of Bald Mountain and I go to the top and tack a $20 bill to a post---first one there grabs it. The view from up there is amazing...the coast on one side and the Trinity Alps on the other.

Saturday's cross-country was one of our best ever. We took our existing 7-mile loop and added another side loop that goes out to and around a small lake to add another 7 miles. Beginners did one lap, sports did 1.5 laps (1 without the lake) and experts did two full laps for a distance of 28 miles. Everybody LOVED the new course, and no one, not even the pros wanted any more miles. We'll use this basic course again next year, but with even more singletrack that we've scouted.

Our downhill course has been a work in progress, with little improvements and changes each year. We moved the start for a faster entry into the first singletrack and added a big finish line jump that was good for 30' of air for the fast guys.

An interesting note, we had four riders do all the events, hillclimb, XC, short-track, and downhill. That's great! Reminds me of back in the day events like the Rockhopper. The only bummer of the weekend was having one of our signs stolen. My guess is that our 4-foot Bigfoot that we put out at the gate to the venue now resides in someone's garage. But still, all in all, a great weekend.

Next year we'll hold it in June when the fire danger is less and the hills and woods are even more green.

Next up, the 12 Hours of Humboldt, August 28. Visit our website for details, www.teambigfoot.net.

Bigfoot
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That was indeed a great race. How about them race results?

mtbr member
    Sure. They're in the form of an Excel file, so I can't post 'em here. Send us an e-mail and I'll attach results to the reply.

mtbr member

EMU photo!

One of our racers sent us a pic of the Emu. See, I wasn't hallucinating!
    Attached Images Attached Images