Are we getting more lions around here?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Are we getting more lions around here?

Last week folks had been reporting about a small lion in Arastradero.

Was riding today in the evening with my wife and two kids on Sawyer Camp trail. About three miles out a couple of mildly excited cyclists coming back warned us about a large mountain lion hanging out near trail. Apparently they got quite a close looks at the beast - close enough to retreat.

I was thinking about continuing to take a look, but thought better of it, and we all turned around.

To be honest, this is somewhat disturbing - I ride alone a lot, and also ride with kids. When they hang out that close - they could be losing their natural fear of humans. Damn kitties.

Uncle

Hope that was an anomaly

Hopefully it's a rare case. Wise to not explore it, especially with kids around. Are the numbers of kittehs here in the Bay Area high? If not, then maybe this one has lost its way. Did the cyclists mention an intention of reporting the sighting?

Edit: OT -- Thanks again for the help on the tandem. Here's it finished up, sans fresh labels:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are we getting more lions around here?-p8270001-1.jpg  

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    There's a mommy cat that's been up around the bowls at Arastadero a few times the last couple of weeks, usually towards the end of the day.

She's just laying out catching some sun and recovering from watching the baby. She's retreated each time, the ranger has been made aware of it. People should feel privileged to witness it, just stop getting close and making her comfortable with humans and all will be fine.

If people keep getting close it then becomes a problem and the end is never good for either party or baby.
    Last edited by Obi; 08-29-2010 at 12:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    There's a mommy cat that's been up around the bowls a few times the last couple of weeks, usually towards the end of the day.

She's just laying out catching some sun and recovering from watching the baby. She's retreated each time, the ranger has been made aware of it. People should feel privileged to witness it, just stop getting close and making her comfortable with humans and all will be fine.

If people keep getting close it then becomes a problem and the end is never good for either party or baby.

That's a different one.

Sawyer Camp is a busy paved trail. Frankly, I do not feel privileged running into a lion in such a place.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Grew up riding up the hills at the North Side of Sawyer, I understand..Get folks to start bringing a camera since the motion capture cams will only catch maybe 1-1000 events. Have they put up any signs at the gates in either place yet?
    This way if it is indeed true about a cat being closer to humans, there is actual evidence of it b/c I have seen no tracks lately, but the dirt is more solid now..

Now I wanna go out and check for tracks and bring a buddy's D-5 SLR..who want's to play wingman for me so we aren't surprised at any point?

Maybe b/c the water levels are at the highest in years and there's so much fresh grass, so many deer...etc...?

mtbr member
    Grew up riding up the hills at the North Side of Sawyer, I understand..Get folks to start bringing a camera since the motion capture cams will only catch maybe 1-1000 events. Have they put up any signs at the gates in either place yet?
    This way if it is indeed true about a cat being closer to humans, there is actual evidence of it b/c I have seen no tracks lately, but the dirt is more solid now..

Now I wanna go out and check for tracks and bring a buddy's D-5 SLR..who want's to play wingman for me so we aren't surprised at any point?

Maybe b/c the water levels are at the highest in years and there's so much fresh grass, so many deer...etc...?
    Report was it was hanging out near Jepson Laurel rest stop.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    That's the little offshoot turnaround circle deal 2/3rds the way up over to the left, right? I wasn't gonna put this up but as a kid I've seen a deer carcass there..so it isn't like it's something new. That whole area's full of deer. A drive through 280 at 3am will show that.

mtbr member
    That's the little offshoot turnaround circle deal 2/3rds the way up over to the left, right? I wasn't gonna put this up but as a kid I've seen a deer carcass there..so it isn't like it's something new. That whole area's full of deer. A drive through 280 at 3am will show that.
    Oh, they sure live there. What surprised me is one hanging out in plain sight on a busy trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was going to ride there after work yesterday afternoon (solo of course) but for some reason I changed my mind and went home instead. Arastradero is also infested with
    snakes, It's not uncommon to see more than one during the ride. Territorial Cayote's and now Mama Mtn lion.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by 08_Yukon hard tail
    I was going to ride there after work yesterday afternoon (solo of course) but for some reason I changed my mind and went home instead. Arastradero is also infested with
    snakes, It's not uncommon to see more than one during the ride. Territorial Cayote's and now Mama Mtn lion.
    Damn it man, kittehs and snakes?

It'd be wise to carry some 'protection'..........jus in case.

Cheers!

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

Like a boss.
    I wonder if the cats seem to be getting more used to people simply because that's where increasing numbers of their prey are. The deer figured out a while ago that it's way better for them to be in the suburbs and exurbs than the woods - there's plenty to eat, and less kitties to eat them in turn. Maybe the mountain lions are finally catching up to this fact?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Saw, not heard. I didn't report it because I've seen it there before and you know my respect and admiration for them runs deep (Remember my alma-matters=Cougar+WildCat). If it books out as someone is barely in sight I don't worry. I just knew what the flash of gold was that was moving back into the trees so quick and making a sound of something bigger than a deer. Besides, no little brown markings or white fluff=Kitty.

Fireball in the Night

Shark Week is over.

couple of things came to mind the other day - not specifically aimed at this particular cat...
    High heat and high wind = a lot of food fell in the past few days from trees everywhere...
    More animals are eating this smorgasbord on the ground...
    The predators come out: birds, cats, etc.
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    It's not like they're going to shoot them or harm them.
    For those lurking in plane sight on a busy paved trail used by families with small kids - I would not mind those critters to be shot. Nothing wrong with humans defending OUR habitat.

Medium?
    If they wanted to kill and eat people, they would. If they wanted to send you a warning, they would.

The fact is, they are not interested in you. Take a picture and let them be. Don't go around getting people all excited. You and your kids are 100000x more likely to die in the car on the way to get a happy meal. Post up about that.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle
    It'd be wise to carry some 'protection'..........jus in case.
    Good luck with that. I'm 100% sure you're more likely to hurt yourself than protect yourself from anything. If you're heading into Grizzly country I'll agree with you.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    If they wanted to kill and eat people, they would. If they wanted to send you a warning, they would.

The fact is, they are not interested in you. Take a picture and let them be. Don't go around getting people all excited. You and your kids are 100000x more likely to die in the car on the way to get a happy meal. Post up about that.

Good luck with that. I'm 100% sure you're more likely to hurt yourself than protect yourself from anything. If you're heading into Grizzly country I'll agree with you.
    Luck has nothing to do with it...preparation! That's the key!

mtbr member

The fact is, they are not interested in you. Take a picture and let them be.
    You are welcome to test that assertion with YOUR children. I would not. Those are dangerous animals and they have no business hanging out in urban environment. Plenty of wild places around for htem to stay out of sight.

Yourself - unlikely. Your companions - easily. There had been two recent cases, if you read news, with people fending off an attacking mountain lion. Last time it was an old lady in Eureka, poking kitty with a pen, saving her husband. It would have been easier for her if she had some bear mace.

Mileage Junkie
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    For those lurking in plane sight on a busy paved trail used by families with small kids - I would not mind those critters to be shot. Nothing wrong with humans defending OUR habitat.
    Mr. Curmy, your ignorance is only overshadowed by your arrogance. Do you even ride or do you just mouth off on the web like a 6-year old. This 'sighting' sounds like a bobcat or a dog. It has no credibility whatsoever. And now you want to shoot all cats near trails? There hasn't been an attack or even an incident here in the bay area and there's at least 50 that live in the bay area hills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10kman
    Mr. Curmy, your ignorance is only overshadowed by your arrogance. Do you even ride or do you just mouth off on the web like a 6-year old. This 'sighting' sounds like a bobcat or a dog. It has no credibility whatsoever. And now you want to shoot all cats near trails? There hasn't been an attack or even an incident here in the bay area and there's at least 50 that live in the bay area hills.
    No, it was not a bobcat. Yes, they are around. And yes, you are a jerk. Did you talk to witnesses, who got a very good look? No? Then f off and stop making inane assertions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I saw it a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure what it was, and kept going towards it along the trail. Its head was above the grass, but most of its body was not visible so I thought it might have been a smaller animal or something. For a mountain lion it was on the smaller side. I passed it and rode away. I decided 5 minutes later that it was a mountain lion and that I should have turned around a lot quicker. It looked very calm and didn't move as I rode by. It was about 100 feet away. It didn't stare at me either, although its eyes followed me for a bit.

It was exactly where they are saying above - I was riding from that one area with the drops and stunts and heading towards the large bowl. So, 'between the bowls' sounds exactly right. Note that I was recently in a nature-display thing at a different park and they had stuffed bobcats, mountain lions, and lots of other similar animals that are common in CA and that verified for me that what I saw was definitely a medium or small mountain lion.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    You are welcome to test that assertion with YOUR children. I would not. Those are dangerous animals and they have no business hanging out in urban environment. Plenty of wild places around for htem to stay out of sight.

Yourself - unlikely. Your companions - easily. There had been two recent cases, if you read news, with people fending off an attacking mountain lion. Last time it was an old lady in Eureka, poking kitty with a pen, saving her husband. It would have been easier for her if she had some bear mace.

"Urban environment?" You realize it was human encroachment upon their habitat that caused the increase in interactions and sightings with lions, right?

Don't get me wrong, I think the overly-strict hunting regulations in the state of California have impacted game populations negatively (think more laws = more lions = fewer deer, elk, antelope, etc,) but there are alternatives to just killing every wild animal that wanders into our ever-growing urban sprawl. Trapping and reloacting lions has worked in the past, even though they are very territorial (a buddy of mine with a ranch east of SJ trapped a lion, and the Fish and Game department relocated it).

aka baycat
    I would watch out for Grizzly Bea...ohhh to late.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by 10kman
    Ignorance and arrogance are strong words. Thank you for personally determining that the sighting has "no credibility whatsoever"

In the meantime, I'll load up on guns!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Crumy I think you should get a camera and ride up and down Sawyer camp trail with this costume in order to document said Lion.

mtbr member
    I guess that was bobcat too today?

Thankfully, Berkley police had a clue what to do in such a situation - and that is not to feel privileged at seeing a wild animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakland Tribune
    Posted: 08/31/2010 03:11:21 PM PDT

BERKELEY -- Police shot and killed a 100-pound female mountain lion early Tuesday morning near a stretch of popular restaurants and shops on the north side of town after a chase that led through an empty playground and several backyards.

"Berkeley police believed that this mountain lion posed a significant public safety threat," said police spokeswoman Sgt. Mary Kusmiss. "Berkeley Police Department officers who have to (shoot) animals find it challenging, but it is part of our duty to protect the community."

Berkeley police and firefighters received reports of a mountain lion sighting at 2:15 a.m., Kusmiss said.

A caller spotted the animal in the empty lot of the vacant Elephant Pharmacy building at Shattuck Avenue and Cedar Street -- about a block from the Chez Panisse restaurant. Police called the California Department of Fish and Game and dispatched officers to investigate.
    ..you guys ( you know whom I am talking about) are pathetic blabbermouths.

Mileage Junkie
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Crumy I think you should get a camera and ride up and down Sawyer camp trail with this costume in order to document said Lion.

Oh my lord this is hilarious. We have a new avatar for this CRUMY character. So fitting!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feeling a little taller
    I hear they taste like spotted owl.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    good lord, holy rudolph?! and tarantula mating season coming up?! cats at sawyer trail where i do my training runs?!?! goodness gracious!

the things i learned from this thread and all i was going to say was that we saw a baby bobcat playing on at trail in fremont older last thursday around 530P.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I have seen a few baby dear carcasses on the little trails built on easment through LAH between arastradero and foothill college, scares me that they are hunting so close to the houses.

If it comes down to it, I am with Curmy. If I had a house in the hills and saw a lion near my yard I would not hesitate to kill it (if I had a gun that is). However I do not pack heat and there is not much I can do, except maybe in last resort use a blade or the seatpost which I filed to a point after I cut it down ghetto using bolt-cutters.

Coyotes have killed little children in the past, not many cases but it can happen when small children are left unattended in yards were coyotes can get to.

Also:
    I saw a pretty gnarly looking gray wild dog that looked about 90 lbs,, seemed pretty peacful though.

Me and about 5 buddies witnessed a weird little, short haired, chocolate colored creature built like a dog jumping a 6.5' fence .. my buds thought it was chupacabra, I don't know what it was but if it was a cat it sure didnt look or move like one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have to say that I rode sawyer camp this afternoon and I did see a cougar around the jepson laurel area as well however the one I saw had 2 legs an ipod and appeared very well socialized!

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    The Three S method of mountain lion management:

Shoot
    Shovel
    Shut up.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    I hear they taste like spotted owl.
    The cougars on the trail or the one's down by the bars usually around 9pm checking out the 20-something boy toys?

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso
    scares me that they are hunting so close to the houses.
    Why?

If I had a house in the hills and saw a lion near my yard I would not hesitate to kill it (if I had a gun that is).
    Typical misinformed human. I pity you.

Coyotes have killed little children in the past, not many cases but it can happen when small children are left unattended in yards were coyotes can get to.
    Please post up some links.

I saw a pretty gnarly looking gray wild dog that looked about 90 lbs,, seemed pretty peacful though.
    Where? Australia?

Me and about 5 buddies witnessed a weird little, short haired, chocolate colored creature built like a dog jumping a 6.5' fence .. my buds thought it was chupacabra, I don't know what it was but if it was a cat it sure didnt look or move like one.
    LOL. Bobcat.

Weird huh?
    Why?

Typical misinformed human. I pity you.

Please post up some links.

Where? Australia?
    LOL. Bobcat.
    Get all your information watching nature shows Eddy? Misinformed human? Have you ever lived in a remote area where large cats are more than a passing curiosity?
    I've shared my experiences more than a few times on this forum. I've had cats on the backs of my horses, and with my dog in a tree.
    I'll spare the description.

That said, like others have mentioned. If I were to encounter a cat in my yard, in anything other than a remote area, I will dispatch it.

If I ever go back to live in a remote area, and I have predatory cats killing dogs, cats, and attacking horses, I would certainly continue to put them down.

Cheers~

Mileage Junkie
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle
    If I ever go back to live in a remote area, and I have predatory cats killing dogs, cats, and attacking horses, I would certainly continue to put them down.

Cheers~

That's quite cool. Have you ever actually killed one? Then you just dig a hole and bury it?

-10k-

mtbr member
    With all this mountain lion talk I was poking around Google the other day and stumbled across some interesting data: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_11548958

Based on scientific estimates, there are around 28 adult mountain lions in the Santa Cruz Mountains and as man as 42 cubs as of 2009.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss
    With all this mountain lion talk I was poking around Google the other day and stumbled across some interesting data: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_11548958

Based on scientific estimates, there are around 28 adult mountain lions in the Santa Cruz Mountains and as man as 42 cubs as of 2009.

In the words of Metallica, "Kill 'em All!"

Members who have read this thread: 0