Way OT: Anybody know about tree removal costs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Way OT: Anybody know about tree removal costs?

Sorry if this is ridiculously OT, but I am always amazed at the variety of knowledge on this forum.

I have a commercial property in the Peninsula where there are 4 large pine trees (maybe 20-25 feet tall?) that are dying and need to be removed - the quote I got was nearly $6000 to remove them - this seemed way higher than I was expecting. Hell I could "almost" buy a bike for that!

Does anybody have any knowledge in this area that could tell me if that sounds reasonable or excessive?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I had 3 similar trees (behind a rental) in Joshua Tree taken out this summer. I think it cost about $200. I'd shop around! Of course, you can probably have somebody killed in J. Tree for $500 and a 12-pack.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

Hella Olde
    If it's commercially-zoned, I can't help but I have a 20" Stihl Farm Boss.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How big around are the trunks? Sounds high, but might be going rate. I have a huge heritage oak and it cost us $1600 to trim and one bid was about $2500. Get three bids.

I'm really diggin it!
    This is a good reason to do trailwork. Volunteer a lot and take that USFS sawyer course...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    Learn directional felling, do it yourself.

A 25ft pine tree isn’t a big job.

Death from Below.

Meatbomb
    Commercial property may prohibit him from doing it himself. If he takes out a car or roof his insurance will probably deny any claim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've personally cut down a couple crappy 25 ft trees with a POS 18" electric chainsaw bought cheap, but that could be an issue with a commercial property. Peninsula neighbors might be sue happy if something goes wrong. Also make sure the city doesn't require a permit, which many do and those same neighbors might rat you out.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    What did the quote entail?

Was that total removal or just felling?
    Do the trees have a lean, are diseased, or rot which could make felling more hazardous?
    Are there powerlines, fences, or buildings in the way?
    Dead trees are more dangerous to fall than a healthy sound tree.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

Moderator Moderator
    Chopping down a tree in the woods vs a commercial/residential area are two totally different things. Both are dangerous, and one carries the added risk of destroying anything around it. In other words, don't do this yourself, a 25ft tree is far heavier and more dangerous than you know.

Sweater
    Sounds a bit high. Everyone is pretty busy right now and that's a small job, you probably got the "we don't really want the job price". My tree guy is $800/day plus an extra $50 to bring his chipper. I think he took down a big (48" trunk) dead oak on my property in about a day. That was just felling and no haul away. Are your trees really close to anything or smash anything when they fall or anything that makes this a tricky job? This is Granite Bay so not quite Bay Area rates but not BFE either.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Thanks for replies - yeah this is a diseased tree - doesn't seem to be leaning too much - and a couple of them are right next to some single story office buildings on 1 side so I understand it is not a really simple job - we do have to get a permit and a bunch of other bureaucratic BS - around that area you have to get a permit to paint your toenails

The quote lists cutting down and hauling away at $5400 and then another $500 to grind away the remaining stumps

Based on replies, I think I will get another quote

Wanna ride bikes?
    Depending on your local region/economy, costs can vary, but tree work is often expensive. It's highly dependent on how hard/easy/risky the work is.

I agree you should get 3 quotes. The costs can be significantly different from one company to the next.

The fact that they're only 20-25ft high is not the most important factor. Some people should not attempt to drop even a 15ft tree if they have no experience. You could easily hurt yourself or a structure, or your neighbor you asked to lend a hand.

I've done some tree work, professionally, there is no strait forward One Size Fits All internet answer. $6k sounds high but it could be on the side of a hill leaning over a structure and be dangerous for a variety of reasons. Another company may quote $3k for the same job. It could also be possible to DIY safely for the price of a chainsaw.

Nobody here can answer definitively without more details and pics.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

loopy counter
    Data point: I paid $1000 for a 75 foot white fir in 2016. Rural area. Included upcharge for “hazard” e.g. a house. Cleanup included.

loopy counter
    For the heck of it... this is a vid of my neighbor’s place, the second tree was leaning over the house. There’s a lot of rope rigging, including a 5 to 1 pully for the main truck felling, and as can be seen, rigging for each section topped. This is a team of two people, and they worked their asses off on this job. (Three trees total.)

https://youtu.be/-62ux7FHxus

Safety Consultant
    If they are anywhere near any power lines, PG&E will remove them for free. I just had three dead 80 to 100' trees removed from my Nevada City property. The tree service quoted over $10,000, but I got a tip about PG&E, who came out and took down all three for nothing. Hell, the third one wasn't really even near any lines. They left the logs but cut them in 12' lengths so a local miller would come pick them up. So happy when that all worked out.

I should say that the reason my quote was so high was that they were going to have to bring in a crane to take them down.
    I'm here to kick ass and drink beer. Looks like we're all out of beer. -- Gandhi

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    ...Sounds high, but might be going rate.
    Peninsula pricing me thinks.

Had a 25' something removed from our front yard last year in unincorporated Castro Valley at ~$2K IIRC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    In the Sierras, it's about 200 to 500 per tree to fall and removal varies depending on the time it takes to remove the debris. I'm having 7 trees removed tomorrow for about 4k.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I had a similar-sized tree removed and the stump ground about a year ago in the Central valley. Cost around $1100.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    We live in the county and raise nuts. I have eight chainsaws of various types and cut trees and parts of trees regularly.

However, there are many trees I wouldn't touch. Ones leaning towards structures, fences, other trees. Ones with visible rot where the tree may shatter unexpectedly after only a few inches of cutting. Really big trees that do not have a clear falling path.

Leave those trees to the pros and expect to pay pro prices for felling trees. For education, go to youtube and search for "chainsaw fails". It's a good education and an even better laugh!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Hella Olde
    ^^^good advice^^^

mtbr member
    Post some pics of said trees and then us keyboard experts can give even better advice. Lol

mtbr member
    Yeah it never even entered my mind to consider doing this myself or even hiring anybody but a pro - just wanted to know if the quote was reasonable because it was sticker shock for me!

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    I live an Arnold and Bark Beetle has led to a increase in tree work for the community. Check around that seems high. Make sure license/bonded. 25 feet does not seem high, but my area is also residential. They do have to drop 100 ft. trees between cabins. I have also had the guys with spikes climb and trim my trees. Get a utility company to do it if it may compromise their power lines, If it is close call them and say it may be a hazard. I think its like $2500-$3,000 for a very large tree and that is why I think it my be high. 3 bids.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Yeah it never even entered my mind to consider doing this myself or even hiring anybody but a pro - just wanted to know if the quote was reasonable because it was sticker shock for me!

Be thankful you don't have a big date palm. I have a 30 ft date palm, that while very beautiful, costs me about $1000/year to keep trimmed! Stanford must be spending a small fortune on all the campus palms.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Way OT: Anybody know about tree removal costs?-img_2098.jpg