Water Dog Park feature removals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Water Dog Park feature removals

Some time between last week and today City of Belmont removed/blocked least three optional “technical” lines. Not a fan as all three I liked as they spiced things up a bit. Frustrating.

They’ve been there for years and have been stable from an erosion based reason to remove.

With all the increased COVID park usage I suspect there has been an increase in complaints from hikers regarding MTBers which may have led to this but there’s only one I can see achieving a goal of slowing down a bike. It’s the drop on John Brooks before the 3 Witches. BUT now you are forced to use the narrow singletrack with the blind turn - curious to see the inevitable outcome when uptravel and downtravel meet...

The other one is that little rooty section above the drop.

The last one I noticed is that short rocky drop off Lake Road near the Hallmark entrance.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I saw those changes yesterday.
    They weren't there Mon.

They've also sanitized other parts, like a while back cutting some roots on the Ohlone climb that made it just a little more difficult.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    There were signs out about trail maintenance so maybe just temp closures? I can see 3 witches being a hotspot though. Some people bomb thru that section despite lots of traffic both directions and blind corners. Biking thru yesterday late afternoon there were 3 separate groups of hikers + dags on that stretch.

Edit: I also think there were some new "speed control" posts at the end of the little connector between Lake road and that apartment complex on Carlmont Rd.

mtbr member
    WD is the closest riding place to my house and I have avoided it since Covid. Way to much hiking on those trails these days to ride for me! Bummed about the new additions!

mtbr member
    I just rode WD yesterday. I noticed the one line blocked with the big logs on your last pic. Didn't notice any of the other ones. Not a big deal to me. There are a lot of spicy trails (not just lines) in and around the park. What bugs me more is the mask rule there. So hard to breathe when you are hammering those steep punchy climbs and heartrate is at 170-180. California mandate mask ordinance is more reasonable that you don't have to wear a mask while biking and running outdoors. Not sure why San Mateo County doesn't use those same guidelines.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Mask is fine for me if I stay at 25% of maximum effort or less. Above that, no bueno.
    Only thing for it is to exercise where other people aren't.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Seeing info on this elsewhere. Looks like people are complaining. Will you show up at the public meeting this Wednesday (online of course)? See also the notes from the previous meeting.
    https://belmont-ca.granicus.com/Gene...16Ux8SwG7QrbTk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Boo, Water Dog is one of my regulars. In the last week, I've seen/heard about sanitation at China Camp and Water Dog now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Boo, Water Dog is one of my regulars. In the last week, I've seen/heard about sanitation at China Camp and Water Dog now.
    China Camp sanitation? Please elaborate.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Seeing info on this elsewhere. Looks like people are complaining. Will you show up at the public meeting this Wednesday (online of course)? See also the notes from the previous meeting.
    Here is the source of on-line minutes and video:
    https://www.belmont.gov/departments/.../-selyear-2020

July 2020 minutes aren't available but I looked at May and June:

May: https://www.belmont.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=19619
    June: https://www.belmont.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=19717

...people are speaking out against mountain biking at Water Dog to the parks commission.
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I don't understand why the park admins/rangers want to sanitize a trail. When doing so, mtb riders go faster and are more likely to cause issue with hikers. What's more threatening......an mtb rider at 15+ mph coming at you or a rider that just had to hopped 3 roots and a rock coming at you at 5 mph.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork.

Giving me negative rep only encourages me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alanwgeorge View Post
    China Camp sanitation? Please elaborate.
    Didn't mean to cause any concern if it did. Just some trail grading on the front side, which is mellow already but some of the minor features seem to be gone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    ...people are speaking out against mountain biking at Water Dog to the parks commission.
    I am not a Belmont / SMC resident, but if you are and have any standing do please send a short email to the commissioners in support to MTB at WaterDog and elsewhere. The threshold for what constitutes a comment in support is super low, just take the 5 minutes if you can. I'm going to reach out to my buddy who lives in Belmont and rides there daily, and another who is more of a trail runner but might help, and see if I can feed them an email to comment by proxy.

[email protected]

Commissioners Agenda for August 5 (Wednesday)
    https://www.belmont.gov/Home/Compone...Event/6533/559

Note that most of the meeting on the 5th is going to be about open space and trails, including bike usage, so it would be awesome to get a majority of supportive comments into the agenda.

F*** it
    Mar 2014
    Didn't mean to cause any concern if it did. Just some trail grading on the front side, which is mellow already but some of the minor features seem to be gone.
    The one time I rode the front side it seemed like further sanitation would be impossible without the use of a steamroller.
    "But so I think, I think it would be, I think it would be very, very, I think we'd have a very, very solid..." ~ D. Bonespurs

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Chump
    Although some of the changes at WD in recent memory have been more like sanitizing, the stuff they did in the last couple of weeks seems to mostly have been removal of unofficial shortcuts around corners. So although I used some of those shortcuts and don't like the changes, I also can't begrudge them for removing them.

Definitely send in an email to the P&R Commissioners at the address above if you're concerned about mtb access at WD, though. They're hearing a lot of anti-mtb sentiment as usage has grown substantially have people are getting crowded and irritated.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    report of a confrontation between volunteers and ebikers on /r/ebikes, and looks like requesting support for bikers at the next town meeting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davee5 View Post
    I am not a Belmont / SMC resident, but if you are and have any standing do please send a short email to the commissioners in support to MTB at WaterDog and elsewhere. The threshold for what constitutes a comment in support is super low, just take the 5 minutes if you can. I'm going to reach out to my buddy who lives in Belmont and rides there daily, and another who is more of a trail runner but might help, and see if I can feed them an email to comment by proxy.

[email protected]

Commissioners Agenda for August 5 (Wednesday)
    https://www.belmont.gov/Home/Compone...Event/6533/559

Note that most of the meeting on the 5th is going to be about open space and trails, including bike usage, so it would be awesome to get a majority of supportive comments into the agenda.
    Thank you for posting this, and I would encourage anyone to participate and/or send a supportive email. You are not required to be a Belmont or San Mateo County resident to do so. The Commission will accept comments from anyone regardless of where you reside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Water Dog Park feature removals-img_0488.jpg

Just another example of some feature removals. In the end as someone mentioned above... removing these features is understandable. The important thing is not have access restricted for mtb or complete trails removed.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Earlier this week, saw some of the recent trail blockages removed.
    Unclear if the city reversed their decisions, or trail users made the changes.

If the latter, it's unfortunate because the changes by the city didn't really affect the experience that much, and such actions only makes the operators feel that users can't be responsible.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    I sent an email.

Email - Support For Mountain Biking in Water Dog Park, Belmont CA

Greetings,
    I am a San Mateo Co resident and visitor of Water Dog Park. I've ridden my bike there often and enjoy the views and beauty the park offers. All members of the public should be able to use and enjoy the park equally. Hikers and bikers can co-exist and share use of the park's trails and features.

Respect, cooperation and consideration for others needs to come from both sides. All parties using the park should follow posted guidelines that make using the park, enjoyable, fun and safe for everyone. I enjoy mountain biking at Water Dog park and appreciate your time.

Sincerely,
    '20 Ibis HD5 (SLX)
    '11 Specialized FSR Comp (sold 2020)
    '08 GT Force 3 (sold)
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

MTBR Member since 2001...
    And I received a reply as well.

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your email. Your comments have been received by the City of Belmont’s Parks and Recreation Commissioners.

They also encouraged remote participation in a public forum:

In addition, to encourage members of the public to participate remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic, emails specifically marked as "public comment" will be read into the record for up to 3 minutes at the next commission meeting. During this reading, your name will be shared. Alternately, you may call into the meeting to speak via Zoom by following the directions at the top of the meeting agenda. Please note that comments for items not on the agenda must be received before the meeting has ended and comments regarding agenda items must be received before the commission considers the item. The public may view the meeting live from home on Zoom (see website for link), at www.belmont.gov, or on Comcast Channel 27.
    '20 Ibis HD5 (SLX)
    '11 Specialized FSR Comp (sold 2020)
    '08 GT Force 3 (sold)
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great seeing all the support from mtn bikers. I wrote and received a reply as well. Positive responses.