Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go? - Page 21- Mtbr.com
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Results 2,001 to 2,031 of 2031
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Much of this is likely human shit, not dog shit.
    I wouldn't call them human.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    I wouldn't call them human.
    No comment. Oh wait, i did.

Harsh one.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ess-in-seattle
    IPA will save America

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    This article defines wealth in relative terms. When you look around and start comparing yourself to others and making judgments, more is never enough....take a look at the people who 'had it all' and cheated to get their kids into college.
    I will say that a big part of what salary is needed to be comfortable is how long of a commute you are willing to accept. My commute in the Seattle area right now is 30 minutes. When considering relo to join a company in Los Gatos, I thought about where I would need to live to have a 30 minute commute. With that in mind, the reality is that I either had to be independently wealthy or be paid a lot to be able to do that.

I think that is central to the difficulty in attracting mid-level and senior-level staff (esp those with families) to the SF Bay Area at the current time. For a single person, housing costs are more reasonable with more options closer to the South Bay and the Peninsula. With a family, I think there is choice between a huge housing bill or a long commute. $400k sounds like a big number, but I would say that housing cost is the wildcard determining what is left over.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If I didn't already own a house, I'd never live in the Bay Area and I'd certainly never rent at these prices. The only reason we own a house is we timed the housing bubble by selling at the top and renting for 6 years to buy at near the bottom. My house shouldn't even cost what we paid in 2012, let alone the new value today. This is a waste of resources that could be going into more productive asset classes or at least buying bikes and other goods to support local businesses and create jobs.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    My neighbor in our tract home housing is comfortable. His McLaren is covered with pollen on the street though. It's not good enough to make it in the gahrage.
    Must not have been this one I spotted at work today; it appeared to be pollen free.
    -D

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    If I didn't already own a house, I'd never live in the Bay Area and I'd certainly never rent at these prices. The only reason we own a house is we timed the housing bubble by selling at the top and renting for 6 years to buy at near the bottom. My house shouldn't even cost what we paid in 2012, let alone the new value today. This is a waste of resources that could be going into more productive asset classes or at least buying bikes and other goods to support local businesses and create jobs.
    Exactly.

If you were moving in right now to the area with your two kids. Need a place to stay, school, vehicle... might need $400k/year for starters.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was creative, but if you're not super creative you need real money. On the plus side, all of us creative people can cash out in the end.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Exactly.

If you were moving in right now to the area with your two kids. Need a place to stay, school, vehicle... might need $400k/year for starters.

fc
    If you want to buy a house in the peninsula. Not so in the east/South bay

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I also call BS. I'd happily take $400k. And I would say we are comfortable with less than that, on the peninsula even. Just devoid of hope and convinced life will only get more difficult.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    I also call BS. I'd happily take $400k. And I would say we are comfortable with less than that, on the peninsula even. Just devoid of hope and convinced life will only get more difficult.
    That's a high price to pay. Ultimately one I couldn't. It's why I left the Bay. My main concern was trail access and I don't see that ever getting better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I spoke with the client. They floated a verbal offer of 25% onsite 75% remote *if* I convert to an employee.

I have been an employee on one occasion only. Of my own company. I have been a consultant for the other 13 years.

How does this game work? I assume the reason most people go full time-- probably for a lower rate-- is benefits and a sense of stability (though it's not like it's hard for a company to can an employee, so this doesn't make sense to me). My wife gets benefits already, so I don't need those. If the income drop isn't too bad, I'd go for it anyway. I could stop paying accountants, tax shenanigans, and dealing with invoicing and other headaches. Thoughts?
    Don't know your expertise or circumstances, but if they offered you "in-house" employment, it is usually driven by enough regularity/ frequency of work where it is lower cost to them. There are also quality control issues.

They must view you as a good fit, too, which is nice.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    That's a high price to pay. Ultimately one I couldn't. It's why I left the Bay. My main concern was trail access and I don't see that ever getting better.
    I guess. 1 in 9 people go hungry every day. 850 million people don't have access to clean drinking water, 2.3 billion without improved sanitation. 1 billion something don't have electricity.

I have three cars, a motorcycle, a dozen bikes and guitars, and a hot tub. I am almost never hungry. I have healthcare and a job. When I break an x01 derailleur or my SRAM brake master cylinder goes mushy, I can just order another one (or buy Formula Cura brakes from Germany, which are much better!!!).

But I figure I have another fifteen years of hard riding left in my body and the trails here aren't worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?

Not the bay area but interesting discussion about California on Pinkbike in general.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mounta...go-county.html

I feel some irony in there somewhere lol... plant and animal communities become fragmented / destroyed due to MTB trail construction....MTB trails become fragmented / destroyed due to city's expanding development... Cities become fragmented / destroyed due to MTBers leaving SoCal for a greener a brighter MTBLife in the Pacific Northwest... lol
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

always licking the glass

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    The Bay Area trail access will get worse and worse. I met someone up here who said theyíre issuing speeding tickets for mountain bikes in Santa Cruz. While I didnít ask him to elaborate. It could be UCSC for access alone, or typically MidPen BS. Or something new. Either way itís not an improvement.

I felt constantly stressed in the Bay Areaóbetween my asthma, the hyper-competitiveness, and the expense of living there. I was losing my outlet, which was riding, because of my asthma. And then getting to the crappy trails in traffic was just miserable.

Thereís supposedly a bike park in San Jose. Itís costs $13 including parking. I have four local bike parks (and more pump tracks) for free.

Yeah we had snow and several months the only time I could go ride was on my plus hardtail with studded tires. But itís still worth it to take care of myself health wise.

Itís hard every time I go back: last time was November for work. The smoke from the fires was miserable. Iíll take the snow any day.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    The Bay Area trail access will get worse and worse. I met someone up here who said theyíre issuing speeding tickets for mountain bikes in Santa Cruz.
    Fake news. I have a awesome ride in Santa Cruz County almost every week of the year--even during the fires--never a problem with rangers or riders or hikers or horses. Everybody's stoked. And the bike/skate park in San Jose is legit. I buy the season pass.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

always licking the glass

Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    Fake news. I have a awesome ride in Santa Cruz County almost every week of the year--even during the fires--never a problem with rangers or riders or hikers or horses. Everybody's stoked. And the bike/skate park in San Jose is legit. I buy the season pass.
    Good for you. If you want to destroy your lungs riding during the fires, thatís your choice. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Well, it looks like Santa Clara county is trending..........Trending in the crime category. 4472 crime incidences in last two weeks. Also, 531 cars stolen in SJ alone in last month. So we got that going for us.

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-sj-crime-two-weeks.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Good for you. If you want to destroy your lungs riding during the fires, thatís your choice. Enjoy!
    It wasn't that bad on the coast (and we went to Toro the day is was bad). But thanks for one more Debbie Downerism!
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Lake Cunningham Skatepark is fantastic but getting there is another matter. Unless you live in East SJ I dunno how it's worth it the drive on a weekday.

My favorite so far on the peninsula is Burgess in Menlo Park, but that's not much fun on a weekday either.

Back to Stripes air quality complaints: less than 24 hours after the wind stopped, here's what the view from San Mateo to SF looked like. About 16 mile visibility. Check that brown LA haze. I took a look this morning and north was only slightly worse, but the view south was just gross brown haze. Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-hazy-sf.jpgWant to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-20190418_183250-1-.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-20190418_185915.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    *MOST* of the drive from Bellingham to San Mateo is very civil and somniferous (it is very long), but then you get onto I-80S from 505 and are very much back in the madness. It's a bit white knuckle when the van and trailer are 40 feet long and don't stop very quickly. It must really suck to drive a semi in the bay area.

Some random photos:

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-20190414_203959-traffic-sux.jpg
    Enter the bay area!

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-20190406_162056.jpg
    Snoqualmie Pass two weeks ago

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-my-van-not-alone.jpg
    My big van is a freakshow in the bay, but in Bend I had other freaks for company.

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-sketchy-cnc-placement.jpg
    And then a bit of redneck action in the Gorge getting the CNC machine placed on the table. Well, it worked.

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-20190406_165622-issaquah-new-homes.jpg
    Crazy infill development in Issaquah

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-20190409_165348dj.jpg
    Dirt jumps in Bellingham

Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-20190411_175016-fall-city.jpg
    Beach weather in Fall City

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Timelapse driving through the Gorge from White Salmon to Camas WA along WA-14

And the other direction along I-84

always licking the glass

Lake Cunningham Skatepark is fantastic but getting there is another matter. Unless you live in East SJ I dunno how it's worth it the drive on a weekday.

My favorite so far on the peninsula is Burgess in Menlo Park, but that's not much fun on a weekday either.

Back to Stripes air quality complaints: less than 24 hours after the wind stopped, here's what the view from San Mateo to SF looked like. About 16 mile visibility. Check that brown LA haze. I took a look this morning and north was only slightly worse, but the view south was just gross brown haze. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hazy sf.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1247597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190418_183250 (1).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	1247601
    I think if it wasnít for the air quality, I would have still been in the Bay Areaóor my exodus would have been a bit later to cash out.

But after years of spending at least one day a month in the asthma docís office because of bronchitis or a sinus infection for 3-4 years straight, I had enough. Even escaping to Santa Cruz didnít help. Oddly enough Tahoe did but moving to Tahoe wasnít an option.

But I canít believe how bad the AQ is there now. Last time I was there was in November right as the fires hit Paradise. Came home with bronchitis since the building I was working at in SF was a former parking garage and had crappy HVAC.

When I moved to Colorado 2.5 years ago, we picked a place with relatively cleaner air (tends to be windier, and the lack of humidity means things donít cling in the air as long), but my lung capacity went up from 50-60% to 90%.

Are there things I miss? Hell yeah. I love riding Ft Ord and Santa Teresa, and I canít find really good Thai food here. I have friends I absolutely miss, and it sucks not seeing them. I miss riding with Big Larry, and arguing over distance vs elevation change.

But being able to breathe is my priority. Having better trails is just a nice perk to go along with breathing. But there are things I miss, even some riding.

mtbr member

Back to Stripes air quality complaints: less than 24 hours after the wind stopped, here's what the view from San Mateo to SF looked like. About 16 mile visibility. Check that brown LA haze. I took a look this morning and north was only slightly worse, but the view south was just gross brown haze. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hazy sf.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1247597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190418_183250 (1).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	1247601
    Air quality in Bay Area is good considering it is a big metropolitan area. Compared to big cities abroad in Asian countries it is really good. It is also much better than LA.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Air quality in Bay Area is good considering it is a big metropolitan area. Compared to big cities abroad in Asian countries it is really good. It is also much better than LA.
    love, love the air here.

We do have a lot of pollen. So many, many, many trees, grass and hillsides.

I was at Calero yesterday in South San Jose and must have seen a trillion blades of grass over a foot tall. The seeds are ready to pop.

Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, better allergy levels because of fog. There's that fog though. And those exit roads.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Air is decent here, especially in the west bay. Colorado is getting worse with oil rigs in neighborhoods and next to play grounds in ways they don't even have in Texas.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/2...ty-violations/

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I began negotiating the W-2 deal. I need to figure out how to convert 1099 to W-2 (no more self employment tax or $1k for an accountant, but I lose out on deductions).

They want me onsite one week a month Mon 9a-Fri 3p. I would have to fly out of Paine Field in Everett as the connections from BLI are too long.

United to SFO departs at 6am arrives 8:18a
    Alaska to SJC departs at 7:30am arrives 9:45a (too late)
    Alaska to SFO gets in after 10am
    Alaska's BLI to SFO gets in at 10:10a, BLI-> SJC gets in at noon

There is also a YVR-SFO on United which departs 6am gets in at 8:24a, I cant imagine that'd be easier than Everett.

It's about 1 hour to Paine from Bellingham, can show up 30 minutes before the flight, so I'd need to leave the house at 4:30a. Ouch, but it's one day a month, and I imagine over time the rules would get more relaxed and that BLI-SFO would be OK.

They want me to convert June 1, didn't mention I plan on going to Switzerland for two weeks in June, we'll burn that bridge when we get there

EDIT: I counted, I took 35 days off last year. I'm 1099, so I don't get paid, but it's worth it. These folks have 17 days. That's a show stopper, at least as long as there are other consulting offers on the table. I'm not going to B'ham if I dont get to do a lot of 3 and 4 day weekends in BC.

EDIT 2: I said, let's keep it as consulting and it wasn't a problem. So I'm all set, at least till Jan 1, 2020. In the consulting world, that's all you can ask for. Woohoo!
    Last edited by fitek; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:36 PM.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    For us, it will probably be Washington State in 10-15 years. There are some towns I really like up between Seattle and Bellingham. Great outdoor opportunities in every direction and yet still close to a real city.
    The Seattle and Bellingham area are just like the Bay Area except weather. Over crowding, housing costs, and even political climate. The only difference being the trail access is better thanks to Evergreen.

Weíre moving back to Sacramento after spending five years in central Washington. There are certain aspects of Washington I will miss

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Found the perfect spot this past week by accident while on vacation in Italy. Turns out it's dubbed one of the best mtn bike destinations in the world with 400 km of nearby trails. Can get a decent house for 250k.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    My weekend:

Saturday went for a tour with my GF up to Muir Camp on Mt Rainier. Got an early enough start, that we were able to start our descent at 1130 and hit perfect corn all the way down 4k' to the car. The Golden Gates were still in, so even got to flash that line through PERFECT spring snow. Got back home at 3 and it was 70 and sunny. Went to the farmers market and grabbed some cheese, then walked down to the 50 acre park on the river to have a nice wine and cheese picnic that evening.

Sunday, teed off at 8am for 18 holes on an immaculate course with incredible views of rainier for only $55. Came home took a nap and gardened a little. Around 5pm i took my dog for a ride at the local trails which lie just above Lake Washington. When i got back to my car i had a text from my buddy asking if i wanted to go out on the lake. 5 minutes later i was on wakeboat cruising around lake washington with a cold beer in my hand enjoying the 68 and sunny evening weather. Then watched GOT that night. In bed by 930pm.

Sad to see winter leave, but damn im reminded how incredible the summers are here in WA. And its just going to get warmer and better. Very stoked.

I'm really diggin it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    https://cyclingtips.com/2019/05/amer...-for-bicycles/

We touched on baggage fees in this thread before, figured this is a bit of good news.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021