Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 1,701 to 1,746 of 1746
  1. #1701
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    If you can get an Alaska 737 emergency row seat, it's almost as comfortable as first class.
    Didn't know that. I usually fly w my son so I can't sit in that row, but I'll remember that for the solo flights.

  2. #1702
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blackies Pasture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    I have an Alaska credit card so my bike flies free.
    WHAT? My kid lives in Bend, and I did not know this. I dislike extra credit cards, but this may be worth it.
    What other advantages are there?

    PS, in the spirit of this thread, last trip to Bend we ended up buying a house, but we are staying in California to be near the other kids.

  3. #1703
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackies Pasture View Post
    WHAT? My kid lives in Bend, and I did not know this. I dislike extra credit cards, but this may be worth it.
    What other advantages are there?

    PS, in the spirit of this thread, last trip to Bend we ended up buying a house, but we are staying in California to be near the other kids.
    Ok here goes.

    You pay $75/year to have the card. You get:
    1) I think double miles when purchasing Alaska flights with the card, otherwise just 1:1 (I use my Amazon card for most purchases, Amz points are more useful)
    2) Free companion fare every year- we are going to use this for an annual Hawaii trip. I figure we'll be missing the sun by January. This alone is worth about 300-400 bucks.
    3) I got 30,000 miles when signing up. Right now they're promoting 40k.
    4) Free bags for everyone in your group up to 6 people. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT FOR US: Alaska counts a bike bag as a normal bag. I don't think anyone else does. SWA counts a golf bag as a normal bag, so I've jammed bikes in a ginormous golf bag before, but they get banged up.

    I've had the card since early summer and I already have 60,000 miles. It's 5k miles to fly to Seattle in January. You better believe I'm all over that...

  4. #1704
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    ^ I've flown with my bike bag a few times on alaska, and they definitely didn't consider it a normal bag. $75 additional, if I remember correctly.

  5. #1705
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Then I would call Alaska and see if they can reverse it. They have not flinched with me. I just drop it off at oversize baggage.

    "Each checked piece listed below is subject to our standard checked baggage fees and waivers. Weíre glad to waive the oversize fee or overweight fee for the items listed in this section. "
    https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ting-equipment
    ^- Note bikes and surfboards

  6. #1706
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Then I would call Alaska and see if they can reverse it. They have not flinched with me. I just drop it off at oversize baggage.

    "Each checked piece listed below is subject to our standard checked baggage fees and waivers. Weíre glad to waive the oversize fee or overweight fee for the items listed in this section. "
    https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ting-equipment
    ^- Note bikes and surfboards
    Standard checked baggage fee is based on weight still though, correct? Wonder if bumping over the weight gave it the oversize fee anyways. Thanks for the link!

  7. #1707
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Standard checked baggage fee is based on weight still though, correct? Wonder if bumping over the weight gave it the oversize fee anyways. Thanks for the link!
    yes, that will bump it up. The key is to place your carry-on luggage beneath a portion of your oversized when they weight it so it doesnt register the whole weight. its a tough game to play sometimes.

  8. #1708
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,903
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Standard checked baggage fee is based on weight still though, correct? Wonder if bumping over the weight gave it the oversize fee anyways. Thanks for the link!
    The key is nothing goes in your bike bag but a bike. It has to weigh 50# or its overweight. Then itís 25$ plus 50$ overweight bag


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #1709
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    The key is nothing goes in your bike bag but a bike. It has to weigh 50# or its overweight. Then itís 25$ plus 50$ overweight bag


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Note on the 6 times I've checked the bike, I have put my sons 16 inch bike in with my MTB 4 of those times and all my riding gear goes in too. They never opened it. It weighs in at 48 lbs though and they do weigh it. The webpage says the should waive the overweight fee for the bike, but I figured if I went over 50lbs they might want to take a peek and then I'd get hassled. I print my bag tags at home so they just scan and weigh.

    While we are switching the thread over to FlyerTalk material, few tips for anyone visiting PDX or SEA...
    PDX:
    1) most of the PDX car rentals are onsite and just a short walk away, Alamo is NOT. Don't take the tunnel, just cross the street to the second island, jig to the right, then go into the parking structure. They're on your left. Enterprise lets you skip the counter entirely and queue in a line. Staff with iPads greet you and try to upsell you as you walk to the car. I
    2) PDX has a bike assembly station in case you need tools. It's on the right side of the ground floor (if you're exiting the terminals) over by where you take the MAX tram. Heck, it's only a couple stops to 82nd, roll down the hill towards the north and you are at the Lumberyard indoor bike park
    3) The PDX oversize drop off is quick. I've had my oversize come out before the normal bags. Less than ten minutes anyway. On my last trip, I landed at 9:20 and was on the freeway by 9:45 with a bike and 5 year old in tow.

    SEA:
    1) When departing, you need to check your bike in at the Alaska counter and then drop it off at oversize. There are two oversize drop offs IIRC, one is way left as you enter from the curb, and one is in the center. Alaska, IIRC, is on the far right when you enter. It can be a long walk if the terminal is busy and you miss the center drop off while dragging a bike bag. I missed a flight on a holiday weekend doing this once.
    2) All car rentals are offsite by bus. Every time I've flown to SEA the rental car lines are horrendously long. If you sign up for Budget Fastbreak or the other rental programs and create your reservation with your account, you can just go to the elevator and down to the garage and skip the lines. It is worth it-- I don't think I've every spent less than 30 minutes in the lines and up to 1 hour on said holiday weekend.
    3) Oversize drop off is painfully slow compared to PDX. Been 15 one time and 30 min another.

    On our side, I much prefer SJC to SFO, but I'm so close to SFO that the random dysfunction is still worth it.

  10. #1710
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,409
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Ok here goes.

    You pay $75/year to have the card. You get:
    1) I think double miles when purchasing Alaska flights with the card, otherwise just 1:1 (I use my Amazon card for most purchases, Amz points are more useful)
    2) Free companion fare every year- we are going to use this for an annual Hawaii trip. I figure we'll be missing the sun by January. This alone is worth about 300-400 bucks.
    3) I got 30,000 miles when signing up. Right now they're promoting 40k.
    4) Free bags for everyone in your group up to 6 people. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT FOR US: Alaska counts a bike bag as a normal bag. I don't think anyone else does. SWA counts a golf bag as a normal bag, so I've jammed bikes in a ginormous golf bag before, but they get banged up.

    I've had the card since early summer and I already have 60,000 miles. It's 5k miles to fly to Seattle in January. You better believe I'm all over that...
    This started around 2 years ago now.

    We pushed for a while with Alaska (as Alaskan riders) to get them to recognize a bike as another piece of checked luggage, like skis or golf clubs. Please fill out the surveys and give them kudos every time!

    If you aren't a member of the mileage program or have the CC, it counts as a normal piece of checked luggage, so no outrageous 150 or $200 charge like some of the other airlines do. And when you fly those guys, be sure to let hem know each time how bad their policies are. People bring massive golf-club and ski "clusters" and never get charged all day long, but you bring a bike, and it's like you've just asked them to invent teleportation.

    And yes, if you are over 50lb, it's "overweight" luggage. THis can be tricky with an enduro bike and coil shock, as most bike-bags I've seen are around 20lbs just by themselves. Might have to get creative and put the pedals in your other bag, etc. If it's a light XC bike, you can generally put more stuff in there, helmet, shoes, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  11. #1711
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,321
    Came across this interactive map of best cities and thought about this thread.

    Rankings gi back to 2003 on the maps so you can see some wild changes year to year. A fun tool to mess around with to me.

    Given all the CA cities in upper rankings, don't rush to leave. But apparently Utah be the place to be currently.

    Unfortunately, mountain biking is not a criteria for ranking.

    http://www.best-cities.org/best-perf...-2017-map.html

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  12. #1712
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Just flew Alaska to Kauai, awesome flight. New plane, lots of leg room and pretty good food.
    Completely tangential to the topic, but economy plus on United dreamliner was pretty good. Plenty of space and tons of movies.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  13. #1713
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Completely tangential to the topic, but economy plus on United dreamliner was pretty good. Plenty of space and tons of movies.

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    I think it's safe to give this topic a little leeway!

  14. #1714
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    298
    Any americans here bought real estate in Canada? What are some things to consider/look out for?

  15. #1715
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,913
    How to move to Squamish, BC or somewhere in Canada

    https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...ur-new-life-12

    Anyone done it? Anyone thinking about it?
    IPA will save America

  16. #1716
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    I have two friends that moved to Toronto, but they both left Canada in the last year. Job market not as good and it was hard maintaining their status. One went to Austria (which has since tightened up on immigration), the other went to Socal.

    Hey, expats, are you missing traffic on 101? Here's yesterday. Another 2.5 hour day for 23 miles. Mister DATADRV cut in line after I'd waited half an hour to get off at Woodside Road and nearly hit me. He must be a VIP with that vanity plate...
    EDIT: phpbb does not grok JPEG orientation? Is this 2003?Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-20181211_093802.jpgWant to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-20181211_162421.jpg

  17. #1717
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Google Photos reminded me it's been one year since I took up Stripes' challenge in this thread and visited Denver. Happy trails to you all!

    More commute fun for you and a panorama of Valmont.Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-20181218_083028.jpgWant to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-20181218_175048.jpgWant to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-valmont-pano.jpg

  18. #1718
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,913
    North Carolina!!!!

    https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/01/...ts-relocation/

    I have a friend in Asheville though and he hasn't been able to take advantage of their awesome trails too much this year.

    Legendary rainWant to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-screen-shot-2019-01-02-11.24.08-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

  19. #1719
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    SEA:
    2) All car rentals are offsite by bus.
    This annoys the shit out of me every time I fly back to Seattle. They built that great light rail system and it just floats right on by the car rental facility. Why didn't they connect them? Worst design ever.

  20. #1720
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,903
    Good conditions continue at lower elevations:






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #1721
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,604
    Proximity to Locos

  22. #1722
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,481
    So, when are you leaving?
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Google Photos reminded me it's been one year since I took up Stripes' challenge in this thread and visited Denver. Happy trails to you all!

    More commute fun for you and a panorama of Valmont.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181218_083028.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	1229867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181218_175048.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	1229868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valmont pano.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	1229870
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  23. #1723
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    I'm interviewing for a remote gig when I get back.

    I need a lot less days like below. And it's the holidays...Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-screenshot_20181228-123248_maps.jpgWant to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-screenshot_20181228-123404_maps.jpgWant to leave Bay Area. Where to go?-screenshot_20181228-123550_maps.jpg

  24. #1724
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,222
    I would be on Caltrain for that commute.

    Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

  25. #1725
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,481
    I thought that Oracle was big in telecommute

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  26. #1726
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    I would be on Caltrain for that commute.

    Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    I have to go over to the east side of 101 for school drop off and pick up. The days my wife does drop off, it could work. I tried Caltrain once and it worked. I used to commute via Caltrain for a couple years 2009-2010 to Diridon, though the train was pretty flakey but I didn't care then. It was great when I was single.

    I looked at the first two weeks of December and the commute didn't dip below 90 minutes. Avg 8 hours per week just going into the office-- that's a whole extra work day! I get paid hourly, so each hour has a price tag attached to it... A colleague went remote and took a 35% pay hit, but with no commute and no income tax (he went to a no tax destination) you'd still be close... and less hair pulling on 101.

    I don't work for ORCL, I'm not in tech.

  27. #1727
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,222
    Caltrain between San Mateo and Redwood City is cheap, too, same zone.

    When I commuted on Caltrain I used a bike for the far end of the commute (either brought on the train or stored in a locker) (it was a beater 10 speed).
    Looks like it would be legal to take an ebike on Caltrain.

    I avoid 101 at rush hour at all costs. Even El Camino is faster.

    A "for rent" sign just went up about half a mile from here (Kings Mountain).
    That would be an easier commute, and you would be living 3 miles from Skeggs.
    I don't know anything about the rental itself but would be willing to inquire if the location interests you (or anyone else who is following this).

    Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

  28. #1728
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    I had some time before my flight on Monday and hit Duthie for a quick session.

  29. #1729
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    663
    Getting sooooo close! I was cringing for your bike. Haha. Nice!

    I'll contribute a "cringe for the bike" clip from yesterday, not in CA. Cheers!


  30. #1730
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3,820
    Looks awesome! Nice front wheel first landing on some of those.

  31. #1731
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,903
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    I had some time before my flight on Monday and hit Duthie for a quick session.
    I was out there Monday. Hit me up next time youíll be out. We have some follow cam from Flying Squirrel, 12 step and Double Trouble. It was running nice yesterday


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #1732
    Bipolar roller
    Reputation: singletrackmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?
    According to Vogue, youíre all flocking to Truckee.

    https://www.vogue.com/article/why-ba...kee-california
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.
    .

  33. #1733
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    According to Vogue, youíre all flocking to Truckee.

    https://www.vogue.com/article/why-ba...kee-california
    Dang, I let my subscription to Vogue lapse and can't read the article....I'll check in Cosmo...

  34. #1734
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    Getting sooooo close! I was cringing for your bike. Haha. Nice!

    I'll contribute a "cringe for the bike" clip from yesterday, not in CA. Cheers!

    Don't worry, I'm on the lighter side and I've got lots of practice casing landings. Rigid bikes on concrete make full suspension on dirt casing seem luxurious.

    Love Syncline. Will be there for the 3 day weekend in Feb. Oy, my bike is in Seattle though...

  35. #1735
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    I was out there Monday. Hit me up next time youíll be out. We have some follow cam from Flying Squirrel, 12 step and Double Trouble. It was running nice yesterday


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will do. I'll be back on the 18th I booked a hotel in Bellingham but I get in at 3-ish, so to get riding in on that Friday, gotta head straight to the nearest trail...

    I think I have to go faster on the berms before the jumps. The walls are steep, so should be able to go fly through those corners if I commit... but I wuss out and tap the brakes every time. This is why I ride BMX brakeless, do or do not... no try.

    BTW, I have NO idea what the trail I was riding is called. The official Duthie map is a jumble of squiggles in the flow area.

  36. #1736
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    I was out there Monday. Hit me up next time youíll be out. We have some follow cam from Flying Squirrel, 12 step and Double Trouble. It was running nice yesterday


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Love Duthie, have taken to riding a few laps on Tiger, then lunch, then riding Grand Ridge to Duthie, have a few laps, then ride out...that's a day.

    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  37. #1737
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    I've been too lame to try any of the other riding. I zoomed out on Trailforks and there are a ton of trails within half an hour... I didn't even realize there was anything up near Carnation, for example...

    Here's a quick video of the drive up to Mt Baker and a bit of skiing (we only did some laps on the first chair, it's always back to basics on my kid's first day of the season...)

  38. #1738
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Also riding Galbraith and the Bike Ranch for 3.5 hours the day before (and Duthie before that) didn't do our legs any favors skiing... this is the Bike Ranch:

    Hats off to Steve who owns/runs the Bike Ranch... there was nobody there, he came out w/ even though he was under the weather, during the cold and rain, and got me on one of his DJs and did some shoveling too.

  39. #1739
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Hats off to Steve who owns/runs the Bike Ranch... there was nobody there, he came out w/ even though he was under the weather, during the cold and rain, and got me on one of his DJs and did some shoveling too.
    Vato steve is the man. Guy does a whole bunch for the bike community up in those parts and is just a really nice friendly dude in general.

  40. #1740
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    511
    Anyone know of places that have awesome mountain biking and good biotech-pharma (manufacturing) jobs? My wife and I keep talking about moving somewhere else, but it's got to be somewhere closer to skiing and biking. She has a great job at GNE. I've lobbied hard for Seattle area (Issaquah specifically) since I grew up in the area, but she said that the biotech up there is all startups, which doesn't line up with her skill set. Next best option that I'm aware of is Switzerland, which is a pretty big move.

  41. #1741
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,222
    Pharmaceuticals, mountains,
    Switzerland FTW

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  42. #1742
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    I've done a few tours at GNE, including in a global group once. Roche pampered the Swiss employees much more than the American ones, they were always way over budget on fun stuff and we had to cut our budget to make up for it... if you can find some way to get her over there, that'd be pretty sweet. My wife was at GNE for 5 years and had a chance to go to .ch for six months but my son was very young and we decided it would probably just be miserable.

  43. #1743
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    I've done a few tours at GNE, including in a global group once. Roche pampered the Swiss employees much more than the American ones, they were always way over budget on fun stuff and we had to cut our budget to make up for it... if you can find some way to get her over there, that'd be pretty sweet. My wife was at GNE for 5 years and had a chance to go to .ch for six months but my son was very young and we decided it would probably just be miserable.
    Thanks. Were you at Basel or Kaiseraugst? How far was the good riding on weekends? Looks like there's a flow trail just to the south of town for week nights.

  44. #1744
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Thanks. Were you at Basel or Kaiseraugst? How far was the good riding on weekends? Looks like there's a flow trail just to the south of town for week nights.
    We never made it there, as we backed out. We were both in SSF, though I was working for Roche the last time. It was going to be Basel. It looked like there was some awesome riding within an hour's drive. There's even dirt jumps in Basel itself... think it was called Horburg or something.

  45. #1745
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,288

    Want to leave Bay Area. Where to go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Anyone know of places that have awesome mountain biking and good biotech-pharma (manufacturing) jobs? My wife and I keep talking about moving somewhere else, but it's got to be somewhere closer to skiing and biking. She has a great job at GNE. I've lobbied hard for Seattle area (Issaquah specifically) since I grew up in the area, but she said that the biotech up there is all startups, which doesn't line up with her skill set. Next best option that I'm aware of is Switzerland, which is a pretty big move.
    Hmm yeah Swiss is probably your next best bet as discussed for pharma development / manufacturing + mtb-ing. However, if you ARE looking overseas...I just completed a move from Folsom, CA to Denmark (greater Copenhagen area) and Novo Nordisk and Ferring (who are now moving more and more into Mab development which could be a good fit for someone from GNE) both have manufacturing ops here. And to a smaller extent, Lundbeck and LEO Pharma do as well. There are no mountains (just rolling terrain), but the mountain biking is surprisingly good...some vert rooty and raw tracks, to manicured built specifically for MTB-ing flow, to short dedicated jump lines. Winter is tough though (as I am finding out now).

    Iíve been in the drug discovery & development space for 20 years but working in BD mainly on the CRO/CDMO side. That is how I lived outside of the Bay Area in CA (home based Biz Dev) and I took the move to Denmark as part of a ~year-and-half stint to my companyís Euro office that was too good to pass up. (Always had the itch to live and travel abroad). If your wife has technical skills and experience but wanted to explore working for a CRO/CDMO in a biz dev role you can pretty much live anywhere...(will be travel though of course). Denmark/ Copenhagen is an amazing place to live, work (5 weeks vacation standard, Danes have a way better perspective on work/life balance than the US, etc), and ride...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

  46. #1746
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,321
    An interesting morning video on building issues in SF, made me think of this thread. A bit long, but love the ending.

    https://youtu.be/ExgxwKnH8y4


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Similar Threads

  1. OT: A third of SF Bay Area residents want/have to leave
    By fc in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 03-30-2017, 05:53 PM
  2. Leave it ALONE !
    By C.M.S in forum Riding Passion and Stories
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 11:36 AM
  3. I'll just leave this here...
    By ultraspontane in forum Surly
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2014, 07:33 AM
  4. Leave no trace
    By twklei in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM

Members who have read this thread: 573

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.