Visiting San Francisco w/ one day to ride...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Visiting San Francisco w/ one day to ride...

Greetings all-
    I'll be traveling to San Francisco next week with my wife and spending Wednesday to Sunday there. Since she will be in training on Wednesday & Thursday I figured I would take advantage of the freetime and go riding on Thursday. I am looking for recomendations on where to ride and where to rent a good mountain bike (preferrebly a 3" suspension XC type ride, but a nice hardtail would do too). I prefer XC type riding and am in good shape. I'll be staying in the Union Square area and will not have access to a car so I'll have to BART it or something to wherever the bike shop is.

I'm also looking for leads on any interesting bike shops to visit or any other bicyle culture type events that may be going on in the area.

thank you much
    Tim--Minneapolis

My gloves stink

One idea...

Rent a bike from Sausalito Cyclery (415) 332-3200 or Mill Valley Cycleworks (415) 388-6774 and ride Mt Tam or the Headlands. You can ride to the trailheads from either shop. They can set you up with directions, maps, etc.

Hella Olde
    Same as above, but you could take the ferry there from S.F. or better yet, rent the bike in S.F., ride through Golden Gate Park and ACROSS the the GG Bridge....up into the Marin Headlands...if you like to climb paved road, Conzelman (sp?) drive (at East side of GGB)will take you up to some killer views (if not foggy) and you can drop into the headlands and up Mt Tam, returning to S.F. via ferry from Sausalito or Larkspur Landing. Of course, there are pure dirt rides, but if you just have 1 day, you might want to consider the bridge/touristy ride (unless you've done it before). There a several bike rental options at the end of Haight street (on Stanyan-called' Bicycle Row' by some) you could rent a SC Blur or other highend FS bike from Charlie at Vision cyclery (demo program) or go to one of the bike rental places up there. The ferry adds another dimension to a bike trip and they serve beer and likker on 'em.

(from Powell and Market -2 blks from Union Sq- street you could catch the 7 Haight or 6 Parnassus Muni busses right to the Haight, get a bike there and ride from there. The shops will have maps and ideas, etc.

You could find out about bike events at http://www.sfbike.org

Have fun!

Mar 2009
    I have always love the city of San Francisco. There are so many great beautiful bike trails to choose from. I am a bike fanatic, so my bike has always flown with me. On this coming trip to SF, I still am debating whether I should stay at the St Francis Hotel San Francisco in Union Square or the Argonaut Hotel San Francisco in Fisherman's Wharf. I guess either one will be good.

Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rogeliot
    I have always love the city of San Francisco. There are so many great beautiful bike trails to choose from. I am a bike fanatic, so my bike has always flown with me. On this coming trip to SF, I still am debating whether I should stay at the St Francis Hotel San Francisco in Union Square or the Argonaut Hotel San Francisco in Fisherman's Wharf. I guess either one will be good.
    The lovely thing about "the MTBR" is that you can find and reply to a 4+ year old thread and entertain people with your inanity.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Better late than never...

May 2009
    We did the San Francisco Tour by biking, that was fun. We found a great site for Tour San Francisco. It is so much better biking there than driving, finding parking can be a problem. What an amazing city!

mtbr member
    oops, just saw the dates.

May 2009
    We did the San Francisco Tour by biking, that was fun. We found a great site for Tour San Fancisco. It is so much better biking there than driving, finding parking can be a problem. What an amazing city!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakuni rider
    The lovely thing about "the MTBR" is that you can find and reply to a 4+ year old thread and entertain people with your inanity.
    The lovely thing about "the MTBR" is that, no matter who you are or what you post you can always find somebody to troll about it.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010